Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I asked a Home Depot worker where the spigots were located. He said. "Electrical".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well, there's sort of some truth to "medicine doesn't work the same for everybody" because some people just don't respond to some treatments. Genetics is a factor and there are certain disorders, diseases, or problems that are literally impossible for some people to get because of genetics. Certain ethnicities also have particular problems that are entirely unique to them.

But the reason "traditional Chinese medicine" doesn't work on westerners is because it doesn't work on Chinese people either. A great deal of it is just straight up snake oil bullshit from what I've heard.

There are some truly bizarre beliefs in China. I saw an article where they were talking about radiation, saying that Westerners are harmed by radiation but not Chinese people because they have a special kind that can't hurt them.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It's almost like there's a tradition of ignoring and disregarding people's mental health in society!

"You have 'depression? What the hell are you depressed about?"

This is what everyone who has ever been diagnosed with Depression hears from family and friends.

So I think we need to give it a new name, something that truly sums it up. I vote for "soulbreaker". :black101:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Whitlam posted:

There are a few arguments (in addition to the others that have been mentioned), but another one is "gently caress you, don't tell me how my body "should" look", because there absolutely are men (and women) who get crazy judgemental at women who dare to have anything other than a full Brazilian, usually using the flawless argent that "it's gross". So then in response to pressure to look a certain way, these women do a full 180 and actually end up becoming just as judgemental and bitchy about the people they're complaining about.

Fwiw, I've absolutely seen mad harsh judgement to the point of actual anger on both sides, from people with pubes and without. It's one of those issues that I wish everyone would just shut up about and agree to disagree, but that won't happen because people etc.

I think it was on SA where some kid started his comment with "Now that women have evolved hairless pubes..."

Anyone else remember that?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Our high school's idea of a 'gifted' program was field trips, usually to the county courthouse. One time the Public Defender asked if we could sit in on a rape case. I doubt that would happen now, but this was back in the Olden Days when they figured we might just learn something and not die.

Anyway, the DA was questioning the defendant when we got there. The DA asked him, "Was there anyone in the store who could verify your presence?"

The defendant looked around, and finally said, "There was no one in the store."

"Really?" asked the DA. "It was Christmas Eve, and there was no one in K Mart?"

"No one in the store."

The DA had himself a field day with the jury on that one. "Now, ladies and gentlemen, K Mart is a very busy store on Christmas Eve. Do You really think there was no one in the store?" Jurors started snickering. We would have, too, but our Guidance Counselor warned us that if we did anything, we were dead. He was a retired Marine and cop, and we were pretty sure he'd shoot us. The judge said something, the DA apologized, and went back to questions.

When there was a break, the Public Defender asked if we thought the man was guilty. We voted unanimously to convict. And yes, he was eventually convicted.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
On another site, someone asked "Why don't we have cats as big as Great Danes?"

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Khazar-khum posted:

On another site, someone asked "Why don't we have cats as big as Great Danes?"

Somebody did say, "They're called lions".

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
My parents were both scientists. Being raised by scientists is kind of like being raised by wolves, only with alarm clocks.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Scathach posted:

E: also just ran across a "wool is murder and so is keeping hermit crabs as pets" PeTA bullshit site again. What the gently caress, maybe if you're worried about animals go after people that are actually, you know, hurting animals?

I guess they don't realize that wool is renewable and sustainable, as it grows constantly and must be sheared--ie, cut off the sheep--twice a year. The sheep is unharmed, except for a couple of nicks. A good shearer can shear a sheep in under 2 minutes.

There was a woman on another site who thought you had to kill birds to get feathers. She didn't know they molt.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Shamelessly stolen from the funny pictures thread.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
We run a jewelry booth at the various pirate, fantasy and renaissance fairs. You bet we hear stupid poo poo. Some faves:

Guy about 20: "They didn't have gold until they conquered America."

Teenage girl: "I can't put this book down because it says right on the cover you can't and now I'm afraid to."

Guy college aged: "The Celts keep the Romans out of Britain by swing around these 20 foot long swords. The Romans couldn't get in until they had dropped from exhaustion."

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Bug Squash posted:

Holy poo poo, I met someone claiming the same, except instead of swinging, he said the Celts were throwing the claymores, pinning legionaires 3 deep :psyduck:

This was said in Scotland as well, so its not as if we couldn't just look out the window and see that the land wasn't profitable.

So Hadrian walled off the useless part of Britain?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

The Endbringer posted:

When we were teenagers my older sister wanted to buy some goat milk soap or something, so I convinced her that you have to kill a goat in order to get its milk.
Like two weeks later I was watching tv and she came bursting into the room:
:byodame: "YOU DON'T HAVE TO KILL A GOAT FOR ITS MILK I JUST LOOKED IT UP!"

Some women on another forum were stunned to learn that birds aren't killed for their feathers because birds shed feathers. Especially ostriches. And peacocks, who shed those tail feathers constantly.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
We sell grab bags for 50 cents each, $5 per dozen. And we've heard this one many times: "How many in a dozen?"

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Slime posted:

I mean...technically the answer is yes, you're getting loads of it whenever you eat anything.

But what if it gets lodged deep in your guts, like tree and watermelon seeds, and then starts growing? Ever thought about that, smart guy?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think that happens in Deadly Premonition

What happens? Do double helixes start growing out your mouth? :ohdear:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
On a site that may or may not have been SA (It's been awhile and I've forgotten that detail), there was a discussion about --what else--sex. Some kid, who couldn't have been very old, tried to sound like an expert. And like a typical nerd he said, "Now that females have evolved hairless pubes--"

I couldn't read on. I didn't want to be a witness to the upcoming bloodbath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

tacodaemon posted:

I once had the idea of trying to convince stupid dudes that women started losing pubic hair in the 1990s because of the long-term effects of Chernobyl fallout, but I thought it was too far-fetched.

But why wouldn't men lose them, for the same reason? :iiam:

• Locked thread