Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Warbird posted:

My little brother got blackout drunk on straw-beer-ritas on a couple of occasions. Now he flies multi million aircraft that can start world war 3. So, you know, ya do what ya gotta do.

My little brother is also in the Air Force and also gets incredibly drunk on bad booze. I think it's a requirement before they'll give you a commission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bip Roberts posted:

That 8% is a wild way to cut through your night

edit: at the very least having the words lite and 8% together really is the hint that canvas those guys have to work with is going to be limited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5gQ_rruDmc

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Joe Lunchpail is the greatest literary character of all time and I won’t hear otherwise.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Quick turnaround.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WxtKzCoCvk

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I lasted on Graduation longer than most, but I just got to the part last episode where Justin has a creative idea to use a really fun item that they've been sitting on for a while, rolls a nat 20 to use it, and then absolutely nothing happens because Travis wanted yet another loving npc to come in and save the day

It's live shows only for me from now on!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Its kind of incredible that graduation is still ongoing. Its been well over a year now, hasn't it? It sounded like they wanted shorter stories going into this. Does it seem like it's nearinf whatever NPC vs NPC finale conclusion is inevitable?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yes, but I would have said the same thing two months ago

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

flavor.flv posted:

I lasted on Graduation longer than most, but I just got to the part last episode where Justin has a creative idea to use a really fun item that they've been sitting on for a while, rolls a nat 20 to use it, and then absolutely nothing happens because Travis wanted yet another loving npc to come in and save the day

It's live shows only for me from now on!

The bees? That's part was awesome. What else did you expect smashing a jar of bees to do?

Zero One fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 1, 2021

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYmvXpxfcMQ

The animation is only okay, but the Ted Cruz bit is one of my favorite Travis moments in months.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Completely forgot about Clint not knowing what a pie-eating content entailed.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zero One posted:

The bees? That's part was awesome. What else did you expect smashing a jar of bees to do?

Didn't they take something from someone covered in bees without incident? At least a little flavor dialogue would have been nice.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Hey now, strawberitas are great. It doesn't make any sense, but they are.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Sankara posted:

Hey now, strawberitas are great. It doesn't make any sense, but they are.
I can confirm that Grape-a-ritas, OTOH, are very much not. Even if they are like $2.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Sankis posted:

Its kind of incredible that graduation is still ongoing. Its been well over a year now, hasn't it? It sounded like they wanted shorter stories going into this. Does it seem like it's nearinf whatever NPC vs NPC finale conclusion is inevitable?
Balance was 3 years long, Amnesty was more than a year and a half.

Yes the end seems close now I don't know how anyone could have listened to the end of the last episode and think otherswise.

Also ballance ended largely with the players getting to choose which npcs got to turn up and kill the boss for them once again its pretty tiring to see people who aren't even listening throw around nonsense critique like 'NPC vs. NPC' to describe a finale that involves 2 warring armies.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

Yes the end seems close now I don't know how anyone could have listened to the end of the last episode and think otherswise.

Also ballance ended largely with the players getting to choose which npcs got to turn up and kill the boss for them once again its pretty tiring to see people who aren't even listening throw around nonsense critique like 'NPC vs. NPC' to describe a finale that involves 2 warring armies.

Why is this tiring?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Zero One posted:

Jar of Bees was also a late addition to the Balance arc as a Fantasy Costco item, so I'm impressed it even survived that long.

I really wish they'd found a good use for the Ring of the Grammarian, which allows you to change one letter of a spell name.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

Why is this tiring?

I'm convinced the avatar isn't ironic, Mr Phillby is actually Travis

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
That was way more horse talk than I remember there being.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

The NPCs at the end of Balance acted more like final fantasy summons or something, they weren't taking agency from the boys. That's one of the big differences.

And NPC vs NPC is a pretty valid critique. In any TTRPG, a DM having a scene where two or more characters of their own creation duke it out while the players have no/little input is something that should be done very, very sparingly, possibly never. You're essentially watching a DM narrate their amateur novel at that point, which isn't terribly exciting for anyone.

I have a question: why you think people are complaining? You seem to think every complaint is invalid for various reasons so what do you think the reason for these "nonsense critiques" is, exactly? Do you think people just hold personal grudges against Travis McElroy, or they just want to retroactively justify their decisions to stop listening, or what? I'm genuinely curious what you think here, Graduation does seem to really be considerably less popular than Balance so there has to be some sort of legitimate reason for that, right? Even if you think people are not articulating those reasons properly.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

I really wish they'd found a good use for the Ring of the Grammarian, which allows you to change one letter of a spell name.

Merle did use it once in the final Wonderland fight. Imbued mannequin Magnus with holy power with Divine Wood.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Mr. Phillby it is obvious that for some reason or another you really don't like hearing people criticize this TAZ arc, which is fine, but the solution to that is not to make a post dismissing the person doing the critical opinion, the solution is to stop reading the thread until this arc is over.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ariong posted:

Mr. Phillby it is obvious that for some reason or another you really don't like hearing people criticize this TAZ arc, which is fine, but the solution to that is not to make a post dismissing the person doing the critical opinion, the solution is to stop reading the thread until this arc is over.

On the other hand: Always :justpost:

Tom Funk
Feb 19, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

I'm convinced the avatar isn't ironic, Mr Phillby is actually Travis

Travis would have a Travis avatar.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mr Phillby posted:

Also ballance ended largely with the players getting to choose

In other dnd actual play reccomendations, the Whitest Kids U Know (comedy troupe that had a skit show in the mid 2000's) did a pretty fantastic 13-episode dnd series called Buckerson & Meyers. It's all chaos with none of them taking it seriously. The first action they take in the game is arranging dead horses so it looks like they're making love and deciding cell phones exist in this fantasy world. Certainly not for everyone, but fun.

Ending is perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9leD7ibxM0

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Tom Funk posted:

Travis would have a Travis avatar.

travatar, cmon

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I just don't see the value in people making GBS threads up the thread with posts that are basically 'here are my imagined greivances with a show I don't listen to" but fine I guess I'm the bad poster for actually listening and having an opinion beyond "travis bad DM make too many NPCS" so I'll stop expecting you to follow your own advice to simply ignore my posts if they upset you so much and leave you all to it.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I just wanted to give a big thanks to all the people ITT who recommended NADDPOD. As a guy who loved the vibe of early to mid Balance, I didn't think I'd ever be that excited about an actual play again :)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So there's a chance we see a MBMBAM today, as I think Justin recorded some stuff yesterday.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Lmao ok that was jerkish, I’m tired as hell today

It’s ok the like something but also want it to improve, that’s a reasonable thing

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 2, 2021

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

PerilPastry posted:

I just wanted to give a big thanks to all the people ITT who recommended NADDPOD. As a guy who loved the vibe of early to mid Balance, I didn't think I'd ever be that excited about an actual play again :)

My favorite part of NADDPOD so far is actually the second part of their third campaign, where Lou Wilson pops in with Jake and Emily to do a separate mini-campaign with completely different new characters to contextualize some parts of the setting while Caldwell was gone. Lou has the best character in the whole dang podcast

JABARI THE SAFARI!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

My favorite part of NADDPOD so far is actually the second part of their third campaign, where Lou Wilson pops in with Jake and Emily to do a separate mini-campaign with completely different new characters to contextualize some parts of the setting while Caldwell was gone. Lou has the best character in the whole dang podcast

JABARI THE SAFARI!

I said this in the NADDPOD thread too (also there is a dedicated NADDPOD thread) but normally I would be annoyed if a guest turned up and overshadowed the regulars but everyone involved was clearly having a great time and that made it a treat to listen to.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope Justin keeps this as a bit.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

docbeard posted:

I said this in the NADDPOD thread too (also there is a dedicated NADDPOD thread) but normally I would be annoyed if a guest turned up and overshadowed the regulars but everyone involved was clearly having a great time and that made it a treat to listen to.

Almost all of the nadpod guests are allowed to run the show for their stint, and the regular crew does a good job playing off of it. When Deadeye was a thing it was hilariously game breaking.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mr Phillby posted:

I just don't see the value in people making GBS threads up the thread with posts that are basically 'here are my imagined greivances with a show I don't listen to" but fine I guess I'm the bad poster for actually listening and having an opinion beyond "travis bad DM make too many NPCS" so I'll stop expecting you to follow your own advice to simply ignore my posts if they upset you so much and leave you all to it.

You are not the arbiter of what is imagined, there is a way to provide a constructive rebuttal to their points, you at no point did that.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Spider-man who can't say for certain if vaping is a good thing or not was a great bit

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mr Phillby posted:

Yea, see, you're getting grief because you if you're listening, you sure aren't understanding. No one cares about the # of NPC's, and while a lot of critique ends in "I gave up listening at episode XX", it's not unfair to have an opinion after making it through hours of a show. I get it's easier to shrug off those arguments, but people aren't making them. Also so do us a favor and stop saying dismissive things like "imagined grievances".

Also, it's not making GBS threads up a thread to discuss these things! It's a discussion forum!

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

The NPCs at the end of Balance acted more like final fantasy summons or something, they weren't taking agency from the boys. That's one of the big differences.

And NPC vs NPC is a pretty valid critique. In any TTRPG, a DM having a scene where two or more characters of their own creation duke it out while the players have no/little input is something that should be done very, very sparingly, possibly never. You're essentially watching a DM narrate their amateur novel at that point, which isn't terribly exciting for anyone.

I have a question: why you think people are complaining? You seem to think every complaint is invalid for various reasons so what do you think the reason for these "nonsense critiques" is, exactly? Do you think people just hold personal grudges against Travis McElroy, or they just want to retroactively justify their decisions to stop listening, or what? I'm genuinely curious what you think here, Graduation does seem to really be considerably less popular than Balance so there has to be some sort of legitimate reason for that, right? Even if you think people are not articulating those reasons properly.

Like here, posted today, is a person stating one of the general frustrations pretty clearly!

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 2, 2021

GoldenJoe
Aug 9, 2006

apatheticman posted:

You are not the arbiter of what is imagined, there is a way to provide a constructive rebuttal to their points, you at no point did that.

Lol, imagined or not, nobody coming to a fan thread to praise or complain about something over and over again want to have their points debated and mind changed, they come to vent their feelings, which is fine, but nothing constructive is going to happen in here.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

GoldenJoe posted:

Lol, imagined or not, nobody coming to a fan thread to praise or complain about something over and over again want to have their points debated and mind changed, they come to vent their feelings, which is fine, but nothing constructive is going to happen in here.

You mean all we've been doing on the internet this whole time has been meaningless?!

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

It's kind of interesting how you claim there's a whole group of posters "making GBS threads up the thread" at the beginning of a sentence, and then before that sentence is even over you are showing that you are clearly upset that some hypothetical people out there are calling you a bad poster You see how this is kind of hypocritical, right?

And anyway, it was like, one poster who told you to stop reading the thread, and they specifically said it was because you seemed unhappy and personally affected by what you were reading in it for whatever reason, not because you were a lovely poster or something. Though dismissing all grievances you don't agree with as imaginary is kind of a bad attitude to have, and again, I am still really curious why you think people are conjuring up these grievances from if you think they aren't real if you ever pop back in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Here is me making GBS threads up the thread with a new hot take: I'm so loving tired of munch squad. It has me basically skipping the entire back half of every episode these days.

I don't think Justin is a paid shill or any of that nonsense, it's just terribly unfunny and has been for a very long time. I didn't think it could get worse, but now it literally is every single episode.