Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Oh for gently caress's sake. From the OP:

Yapping Eevee posted:

Greetings, everyone! I’d also like to welcome you to something that is rather different from my usual fare, but which truly deserves to be shown off. There is an attract mode here, but let’s refrain from spoiling everything straight out of the gate…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Well, the lack of new votes says that I should probably wrap this first round up. So the Caveman scenario has very clearly won, and their name shall be...

...Oh boy. Alright, this scruffy fellow is Ayla. This is what happens when you don't register to vote, kids.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Note that I did not say you had to restrict naming votes to the character we are using first, though. If you want to see the Caveman scenario and have a great Wrestler name, throw it out there! If you want to offer names for a couple of characters or even all seven at once, go nuts! I'm not stopping ya.

Fair enough!

Kungfu: DejaFu, just because I want the deadly martial arts style to be called that. It's too bad neither origami nor hokuto shinken will fit.
Ninja: Mifune. There's no samurai scenario, but this is the right era.
Cowboy: Curtis. That one's a little bit more obscure, I guess.
Wrestler: Hogan, because I refuse to learn the names of modern wrestlers.
Mecha: No way I'm coming up with something better than Akira.
Sci-fi: Sphere. That one's obvious.

Come on, people, you can think of better names than these.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

idonotlikepeas posted:

And I've already implied I'm thinking Tenno for Ninja, unless you can think of a better WF joke. :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Fair enough!

Kungfu: DejaFu, just because I want the deadly martial arts style to be called that. It's too bad neither origami nor hokuto shinken will fit.
Ninja: Mifune. There's no samurai scenario, but this is the right era.
Wrestler: Hogan, because I refuse to learn the names of modern wrestlers.
Mecha: No way I'm coming up with something better than Akira.

Come on, people, you can think of better names than these.
I am of the opinion that the Default Names are mostly better than those, to get a counter vote going :v:

Also AFAIK you cannot actually change the name of the Kung Fu chapter's protagonists
Edit: I was wrong! You can certainly do so.
However you only get 6 letters compared to the default's massive amount.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 18, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

idonotlikepeas posted:

"the curtis kid"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't care about most names but the Wrestler should be Domon, because the description of his scenario gives me mad G Gundam vibes.

In fact, apart from that, default names mostly out of not caring.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Another vote for default names.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So do these votes count for the caveman as well or will we go through this with one out-there custom name and the rest default? :v:

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Default vote.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

AlphaKretin posted:

So do these votes count for the caveman as well or will we go through this with one out-there custom name and the rest default? :v:

It's fine either way. It's not like Pogo/Ayla is very talkative about his name :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Default.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Name every character Watanabe.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Name every character "Default" :v: (I'm joking, I have a real vote above still.)

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

AlphaKretin posted:

And I've already implied I'm thinking Tenno for Ninja, unless you can think of a better WF joke. :v:

This. I like this a lot.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

AlphaKretin posted:

Great, now everyone shows up and starts posing difficult questions. :v: The answer is the latter, because:

- I already started recording and have in fact almost finished the first update. Expect it to follow this post shortly.
- As EponymousMrYar said, the caveman's name doesn't come up much.
- I am sort of doing this LP on Leavemywife's behalf, so might as well honour the old thread.

Also, this kind of shambles is why I tend not to do much viewer participation stuff. :ssh:

AlphaKretin posted:

Well, it's either that or Ash. But I like Tenno better.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Update 01: Meat and cheese.

Our prehistoric pal here won the vote by a landslide, so let’s take a look way, way back.

As we fade in, wind howls through the gorge these perfectly fine fellows have mounted skulls on sticks next to.

...Well, this can surely only be used for good. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, there seems to have been a development.

Their intended sacrifice is managing to am-scray all on her own!

Though not entirely without detection.

Still, given how incompetent these guys appear to be, this may not be an issue. And who is this the bumbler bumped into?

Why, only :sparkles: personified.

With Sir Swish in command, the redheads proceed to go full Flintstones and drive their boulder mobiles outta here.

-------

...Did I mention that the Caveman chapter involves a lot of slapstick?

:3:

-------

Oh, and each chapter has its own font. I hope you can read this scrawly one.

:rolleyes: Alright, let’s get this show on the road.

Waking from his dream of being chased by mammoths, it’s time for young Ayla to begin his journey, having finally come of age.

Naturally this means taking everything that isn’t nailed down.

And waking up our ape buddy by popping his snot bubble. Classy times, these ain’t.

This ugly beast is Gori, and Ayla is the only member of his tribe who has befriended a non-human instead of killing it for food.

The fact that Gori could kick his rear end up and down the cave may have something to do with it. Ayla is only level 1, and his stats are just nowhere near as good as Gori’s.

So, some mechanics chat:
- Atk/Def are a measure of your equipment’s effectiveness. So since Gori has nothing equipped, his are both 0.
- The other four stats are straightforward… I would assume. I can’t actually find any confirmation of their effects, and no one has bothered to translate the manual. (I do have pictures of it if someone would be willing to take a look.) But I’d be willing to bet that Pw is added to Atk, Vt is added to Def, Sp affects how quickly your turns come up and IQ affects certain techs.
- You need 100 Experience to gain a level. This does not change, but the formulas for how much you gain are a touch more complicated. More on those later.
- The equipment slots are Head, Body, Gloves, Weapon, Feet and five Accessories.

Aside from checking out equipment and stats, the menu allows us to look at our items, skills, change our formation, save anywhere, and if you’ve beaten the game once before beaten a chapter… Access a music select. :getin:

Edit: AlphaKretin later proved that the music select fills in with each chapter's songs once that chapter has been beaten.

Enough about that for now. Let’s get to exploring the cave Ayla calls home.

The door at the end of the hall is home to these clowns, who kindly leave so we can grab the Big Stick and Bone behind them.

The room between that and Ayla’s has three more items, the other being a Hard Rock and another Big Stick. It is also home to the method of breaking this chapter’s difficulty curve just a tiny bit.

You see, talking to the caveman who is running wildly around the room spawns a second one. Talking to either invites in a third. And so on, and so forth.

Also, fire hot.

Talking to one once there are twenty generic cavemen in here causes them to empty out and drop back down to one. Unless, that is, the one you speak to is the last caveman to have entered. (It’s the one Ayla is facing in this shot.)

If you talk to that specific caveman, he gives us items. Ayla receives one of each of these: Big Stick, Hide, Tough Hide, Bone, Hard Rock, Beast Fang, Beast Horn. You can then empty out the room and do the whole thing over. You will soon see why this is ridiculous.

Moving on, the main room of the cave is full of a bunch of random dudes who do strange things. Including the rude rear end in a top hat who farts on you whenever you interact with him.

The sleepwalking caveman.

The laughing caveman, the one who gets bumped whenever you move next to him, one who falls over, one who spins…

This fellow who gets surprised, and finally…

The ninja caveman. :ninja:

The top right room is where Ayla’s tribe keeps their food, but we can’t steal any of it. Pity, I hear their Jurassic Pork Soup is quite tasty.

Okay, I’m guessing the hair elemental is in charge. Which means those swanky pair of horns must be over his door.

There’s one more room to explore before that, though.

Why yes, this chapter does have a crafting mechanic. And like 99% of crafting mechanics, it can make things go much more smoothly once you know how to abuse it.

Some of the assortment of junk that I was given by the room of many cavemen can be used as equipment in its own right, but it makes much more effective crafting material. Everything in this chapter can be made out of these seven items in some combination or another.

In particular, you want to use these recipes:

Crafting List posted:

Hard Rock+Tough Hide= Gatsun Glove. 5 Def, 16 Pw.
Beast Horn+Tough Hide= Ooh! Mask. 10 Def, +15 IQ, Mind Evade Up, Sleep Evade Up, and Wind Evade Up.
Bone+Hard Rock= Stone Knife. Crafting material, also serves as an attack item.
Hide+Stone Knife= Leather Cord. Crafting material.
Bone+Stone Knife= Smoulder Spear. 25 Atk, +10 Spd.
Tough Hide+Stone Knife= Wild Armor. 24 Def, -8 Spd, +10 Vt, Blunt Evade Up, and Sharp Evade Up.
Bone+Hide= Beast Hood. 4 Def, +10 Sp.
Beast Horn+Bone/Hard Rock= Gigigaga Wakka. +2 Sp, +3 IQ, and Blunt Evade Up.
Hide+Leather Cord= Wild Dress. 48 Def, +10 IQ.
Big Stick+Leather Cord= Swish Whip. 10 Atk, +16 Sp.
Tough Hide+Leather Cord= Wild Bag. 40 Atk, +20 Pw, +8 IQ.
Beast Fang+Beast Horn/Bone/Hard Rock= Nose Ornament. +8 IQ.

Making all of these things right now requires 11 visits to the room of many cavemen.

Throw in some leftover Beast Fangs (+4 Pw) and Ayla is looking a whole lot more formidable, isn’t he? The Smoulder Spear is only his second strongest weapon, but the Sp boost compensates for his armour’s penalty and then some. (The strongest is Stone Knife+Leather Cord= Buzzing Knife, which has 30 Atk instead of 25.)

These are the only pieces of equipment Gori can actually use, but at least they make him much quicker.

Okay, enough screwing around. Let’s have a game of charades with the Elder (and steal his stuff).

...Some of his stuff.

He tells us to go out, kill things and get meat. None of this sissy farming nonsense.

Coming through, proof of age quest going on here.

Oh, he went thatta way. Thanks, bud.

Alright, where’s all the prehistoric fauna we need to murderise?

As the game hinted at in the chapter intro, we’re going to have to sniff out our prey today.

Once that guy takes his back to the larder.

...Yes, Gori does snicker in a very Muttley-esque fashion. And the Elder is rude. :argh:

But yes, along with A to Interact, B to cancel/sprint and X to open the menu, Y is our chapter-specific ability button. In Ayla’s case, it lets us get some idea of where the enemies are.

You see, this chapter does not have random encounters. It has wandering enemies… which just so happen to be invisible.

So let’s finally get a look at some combat, shall we?

Say hello to this chapter’s battle theme, the tropical grooviness of ‘Kiss of Jealousy’. And also to the cutest little puppies. :3:

The battle system is rather strange, as enemy turns come up and charged attacks complete themselves as you move around (or open the action menu, which consumes a little time). However, your characters will always act in their formation order.

You also have no basic attack command, just a list of techniques. There’s no MP to worry about, but some moves do take a little while to pull off. They also vary wildly in terms of range, target pattern and area of effect. Both Ayla’s Bash Bash (Blunt tech) and Gori’s Ngah! (Hand tech) have a range of one, an effect of one and target in all eight directions.

Gori also starts with Ee!, which is a Mind tech with a 3x3 area of effect. Mind techs are based off of IQ, so this move will always be very weak with Gori’s rock-bottom IQ. :downs:

Suffice to say that the last puppy does not last much longer than its friends.

The elder wants us to fight three encounters and bring back these meaty bones, but I manage to find the same group of puppies each time. So…

Let’s have a quick chat about how experience gains work. Each specific encounter has an EXP value associated with it, and the game compares this to each character’s level to determine how much is actually awarded. The puppies encounter has a value of 3.

If (encounter value - character’s level) > 0, then EXP gained = ((encounter value - character level) x 16) + 8.
If (encounter value - character’s level) is equal to or < 0, then EXP gained = (16 / character’s level) + (encounter value / 2). This formula is also used for any characters that do not act in battle.

tl;dr version: If a character’s level is less than the experience value of an encounter, they get way more experience than they would otherwise. So Ayla got 40 EXP compared to Gori’s 5.5 (rounded down to 5).

At any rate, we have our three pieces of meat and the elder is satisfied that we know how to hunt. We can go back to Ayla’s room to progress with the story, but we can also head back out onto the hunting grounds and fight more stuff. Naturally, grinding ensues.

The prehistoric pig and its mate offer an EXP value of 6. The male one (on the left) can counterattack if you hit him up close, but they still aren’t anything to worry about.

Ayla’s new move is rather weak, but knocks the enemy back a space. So you could use it to avoid aforementioned counter. :eng101:

Meaty bones serve as our main source of healing for this chapter, so stock up. This is actually one of those games where you get healed back up to full after every encounter, so healing items are purely for helping with tough fights rather than overcoming dungeon attrition. :toot:

Aside from revealing a slight bit of inaccuracy on the game’s part (as only the male of this species is believed to have had their Y-shaped horn), these jerks have the ability to lower a character’s level, which causes some general stat loss. Their EXP value is 4.

Also featured: farting on baby mammoths, everyone’s favourite pastime.

Gori doesn’t want to be shown up by Ayla though. :nexus: These poor little guys also have an EXP value of 4.

The last enemies out on the hunting grounds are the male and female Primeval Bison, shown here being put to sleep by Ayla’s new Zzz Zzz move. It does exactly what you think. The male bison alone offers an EXP value of 7, and 8 for the pair.

Oh, and please try not to let this picture of Gori’s level-up face haunt your nightmares.

The training session closes out with Ayla at level 5 and Gori at level 6, bringing one more new move. Push Push has a chance to Stun, which is like Sleep; except that it wears off quicker and you can’t be knocked out of it.

Alright, that’s enough for one day. Let’s give Ayla a chance to get some shut-eye, and I’ll see you all next time.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 11, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yapping Eevee posted:

maths
Well that's a neat way of curtailing grinding.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Great, now everyone shows up and starts posing difficult questions. :v:
Heh. I was mostly just looking for an excuse for the boring people to be less boring. :v:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 18, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Neat, I've been curious about this sinc Leave took a crack at it before. It'll be nice to see it done in uniform fashion.

I don't really care about character names, but consider this a permanent vote for chronological order as that just sounds less messy to my ears.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Is it just me, or are the screenshots just a little blurry?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

ChaosArgate posted:

Well, seeing as old games kinda relied on that blurriness to colour blend properly, I'm certainly not complaining. No, really, this is one of the times where clearer pixels actually does the game a disservice. If you want to know more, a good article on emulation's flaws, and why it's sometimes better to, well, just have the original can be found here: Accuracy Takes Power: One Man's 3GHz Quest To Build A Perfect SNES Emulator.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Kungfu: DejaFu
Ninja: Tenno.
Wrestler: Austin
Mecha:Akira.
Sci-fi: Sphere.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Ohhhh man this game owns wicked hard. I'm a boring jerk so I vote for chronological order and default names.

Translation trivia: Aeon Genesis actually increased the character limit to allow for "Sundown" on The Sundown Kid, a much earlier version of the translation patch (possibly a different group's) had to settle for "Sunset" due to the original limit of six characters. :eng101:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The 'blurriness' doesn't distract me at all. It looks perfectly fine.

Now, I have a couple of votes.
Do the chapters in chronological order

KungFu: Hokuto
Ninja: Pirate
Cowboy: Curtis
Wrestler: Vince
Mecha: Gendo
Sci-fi: Robot

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Default names, please.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

ChaosArgate posted:

JamieTheD posted:

Well, seeing as old games kinda relied on that blurriness to colour blend properly, I'm certainly not complaining.
Chaos is indeed correct in saying that the screenshots are a little blurry. There are a bunch of options I changed to make things look better, but it turns out that the biggest, most important one somehow got changed back. (Bilinear filtering should have been off.)

Said option was also causing an issue where the two rightmost columns and two bottommost rows were being shifted to the left and top of the screen for some reason. :psyduck: Therefore, I have disabled this for the next recording.

Here's a sample image:

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
A vote for doing the chapters in ANYTHING BUT chronological order.

Name the robot Spheroid.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I thought they were fine as well, they weren't as bad as Leave's first couple of updates for Chrono Trigger where everything was noticably blurry.

However, enough about technical details! Lets get into some Mechanics Details! :science:

Yapping Eevee mentioned the stat panel and the main stats. Those of you who are really into the romhacking scene might notice that it seems relatively familiar... In that it closely resembles Romancing SaGa stat panes.
That's right, this is a SaGa game at heart!
Don't worry, unlike most SaGa games this one actually tells you enough to figure out the underlying mechanics, except they're rather muddled by the caveman stuff. Plus with levels it's more like 'SaGa-lite' in terms of crazy unpredictable stuff that happens.
The important thing to know is that all of your stats are important, not just a few of them and that you have no 'basic' attack, everything is a technique/skill/whatever you want to call it.

Here's the nitty gritty on stats as I understand them from playing this game way too much years ago:

ATK and DEF: Purely equipment derived, these are self explanatory, ATK is how much ATK your weapon gives, DEF is how much DEF your gear gives. More on what these actually mean later.
PWR or Power is your 'physical; prowess. The higher this is, the harder you punch stuff.
Sp or Speed is how fast you are. The game uses this to calculate when everyone gets a turn including enemies. High speed means you get more turns to the enemy which makes you win more and reduces the time that some attacks take (because you're getting more turns to resolve them.)
Vt or Vitality is your hardiness. This isn't just 'you take less damage' but it also affects status ailments in some way.
IQ or Intelligence is how smart you are. This mainly affects how much 'mental' attacks deal but can also affect certain ailments.

Now for why all your stats are important, Techniques.
Namely because there is no 'basic' attack. What stats your technique uses depends on the technique itself. Overall they tend to fall into two broad categories:
Weapon based attacks, where the ATK of your weapon is taken into account plus a relevant stat.
Non-Weapon based attacks, where the relevant stat is the main power behind the attack.

Thus, Weapons are often just as important for what non-ATK stats they give as for their ATK.

DEF is a bit more nebulous. On the surface, the more DEF you have the less damage you take however this is a SaGa game at heart. There are way more attack types than you think.
Overall the best way I can sum up DEF is the same as ATK:
Attacks that DEF takes part in when determining how much damage you take (plus or without a relevant stat,)
Attacks that bypass defense and only take into account the relevant stat (most Mind attacks are a prime example.)

To give a practical application to all this, here's an at-a-glance breakdown of our two characters so far based on these screenshots:

Pogo Ayla is strong but kind of slow. This however works out for him as most of his attacks are based on his strengths and those attacks that aren't are generally useful for their status effect rather than their damage. Also something you can't really tell from this screenshot but the dude is a caveman and has crazy high HP growth.
Gori looks statistically strong at first, but check out how much equipment has evened the two of them up already. Gori's fast but other than that he's just got more Vt than Ayla, which he sorely needs because he has bad DEF. His lack of equipment options and his poor tech list make Gori more of a supplemental character.
Pretty sure Ayla has eclipsed Gori in all matters but speed (and maybe Vt) after this grinding session.

Overall the mechanics lesson that LiveALive wants you to learn here is that Stats from Equipment are Important.
Also note how Gori's wearing a bunch of shoe-items as accessories. The game does that a lot: tons of head/body/etc. equipment can be worn as an accessory. You won't gain the ATK/DEF from the item but you will gain it's/some of it's supplemental stats.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 19, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Yapping Eevee posted:

Moving on, the main room of the cave is full of a bunch of random dudes who do strange things. Including the rude rear end in a top hat who farts on you whenever you interact with him.

He also follows you incessantly around the main room, just so you'll accidentally interact with him and get farted on again.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

EponymousMrYar posted:

However, enough about technical details! Lets get into some Mechanics Details! :science:
This is a good post that adds in a few details I missed. I might actually include it in the Table of Contents if you wouldn't mind.

Also why do so many people miss one of the e's.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

He also follows you incessantly around the main room, just so you'll accidentally interact with him and get farted on again.
He's basically a Space Station 13 goon.

Oh, and expect the next update in... maybe an hour or so. Edit: Delayed slightly to update MeGUI and add a video.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 19, 2016

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Update 02: A whirlwind of emotion.

Oh boy, it looks like Gori’s gone wandering in the middle of the night. Good thing that like most RPG protagonists, Ayla has a small touch of insomnia.

A much quieter and more subdued version of Nice Weather, Isn’t It! plays while Ayla wanders around, which isn’t actually on the soundtrack. Fortunately there’s no sound effects to get in the way of recording it myself. :toot:

Since everyone else is asleep, we can sneak into the Elder’s room and make off with the rest of his stuff.

And it turns out he has the ingredients for the Buzzing Knife, Ayla’s strongest weapon. So uh, the game is basically telling you to go nuts.

Using our powerful nose reveals two scents coming from the larder… and there’s not really anywhere else to go, so let’s investigate.

Hmm.

Despite being found at the sense of the crime, Gori denies having helped himself to a midnight snack.

Something in here also smells of flowers, but there isn’t anything in any of the haystacks we can reach. Oh well.

...Wait a minute.

We seem to have lost another piece of meat. (Also, the Bone can be picked up now.) And when we examine the newly exposed haystack…

:monocle: An intruder! And a rather familiar one at that.

She proceeds to make us play the cups game with haystacks, but isn’t actually in any of them the fourth time unless you sniff her out. (Colloquially known as ‘The Riddler Special’.)

drat it, Gori. We’re trying to catch her, not beat her to death.

When we approach, Ayla stops to think and lets us choose an item from our inventory.

Despite the violence, giving her another Meaty Bone to enjoy is the correct answer. The one on the floor can be collected and used now, just in case you had none.

After leaving and coming back again, she’s finally willing to come out and see us. And Ayla likes what he sees. :heysexy:

So does Gori. :sweatdrop: She’s not into apes though.

Ayla knows how to treat a lady right.

After we pick Chuckles here up off the floor, we actually have three people in our party. :toot:

Say hello to Bel! She’s a lot smarter than the guys, but she badly needs new gear. I crafted some ahead of time, so…

Yeah, that’s more like it. That high IQ will make her pretty handy once she gets moves that actually use it. But for now, let’s just head back to Ayla’s room.

...Or not. Some dope has fallen asleep outside the door, and bringing a stranger into the cave at night is probably grounds for being clubbed to death or something.

We can’t just sneak past him as we are, so alternate tactics are required.

Something something, sneaking mission, boxes, metal gear. :downs:

Hey, dingus. We have a trick we want to show you.

...I’m just a little sad we didn’t hear him crash into the far wall. That would have been great.

Oh. We seem to have an occupancy issue.

It’s easily fixed. :mmmhmm:

Wait, Ayla has an even better idea.

And thus the double bed was born. And Ayla got to spend his first night sleeping alongside a lady. :toot:

-------

...So what I’m getting here is that caveman society was basically a sitcom.

Also, we probably ought to find Bel before someone else finds her first.

Good thing Ayla is evolved enough to have pattern recognition skills.

But man, has he got it bad.

At least she likes him too. :3:

...Oh, right. There’s that small issue of how Bel ate everything the tribe had stored.

And what you can’t hear here is the loudass rumbling noises her stomach is making. She’s still hungry!

And thus Ayla forms yet another brilliant idea: to get Bel a nice meal so maybe she’ll kiss him again. Like I said, he’s got it bad.

The grinding earlier has left us with plenty of Meaty Bones to give her, but Bel actually has responses to a couple of other items as well. (All others will just be refused.)

There are a pair of craftable items that will get Ayla slapped. Either some Thick Chest Hair (Beast Fang + Hide) or a… “Clack Case” (Beast Horn + Stone Knife/Leather Cord). The latter is body armour.

So naturally I’m assuming it’s the prehistoric equivalent of a speedo.

The game will progress if you either feed Bel, or you give her a piece of equipment she can use. The latter result is… Well, very mildly :nws:.

Here, I’ll link the .gif just in case a split second of SNES pixel lewdness offends you.

Of course, the correct answer is just to give her some food to quiet her rumbling stomach. But yes, the other non-slap approach works too.

At that point, this guy turns around and interacting with him will result in plot progression.

Gah, what a jerk. :argh: What the hell were you looking at anyway? And what’s that rumbling noise?

(Music stops.)

...Ow. :gonk: Ayla’s dead tired now, I bet.

Down in the main cavern, our visitors are busy searching the place and bullying the elder.

And while the elder has no idea that we have Bel, the prettyboy isn’t buying it.

:ohdear: Bel is understandably not too enthused about seeing him again… not that he cares.

Control returns to Ayla at this point; we could go and grind up a little if we needed to, but what kind of person would leave someone in distress?

:ducksiren: The rest of the update is also available in video form.

Just gonna figure out how this thing works, and…

...Exactly as planned.

:getin: Ayla is pumped up for what comes next.

Namely that we’re going to beat the paste out of this guy. Thanks for taking part in Ayla’s demonstration, Gori.

This jerkface still doesn’t think we’re any threat though, and sics his mooks on us.

(Kiss of Jealousy continues uninterrupted.)

The Ku Tribe members are, well… pushovers. They have 40 HP and deal basically no damage.

Even Bel can murder these guys with ease, and she’s level 1. (BonkBonk is like Ayla’s Bash Bash, and Teh! Teh! is the same knockback + low damage as Bang Bang.)

Alright, let’s get to the main event.

:black101: Yeah, you’d better run!

The big guy remains undaunted however, so… Time for our first boss fight!

Say hello to Zaki, smuggest douchebag of this era. He’s actually reasonably dangerous if you don’t have top-notch gear, with a total of 322 HP (if I’m not mistaken). He has six different attacks, but you’re probably only going to see one or two.

Because he loves using this one above all others, where he throws his… Wait a second. Let me bring up this dude’s concept art.

Why are you wearing a live lizard as underwear? A lizard you apparently trained to attack people?! :psyduck:

You know what, Ayla’s just going to cave your face in so I don’t have to think about that.

Enjoy the monkey poop and caveman farts too. (Sidenote: Poison fields always deal 16 damage to anyone standing on them when their ‘turn’ comes up. Unless someone is immune or healed by these fields, anyway.)

Even Bel gets in on dogpiling Zaki, though he harasses her with his lizard.

Seriously, look at this. Zaki is actually still kind of threatening even with all our fancy gear.

The next attack finishes him off though. Ayla does far and away the most damage at the moment.

Yeah, and don’t come back, you lizard-abusing creep! :peanut:

(Music stops.)

Hey, just because Zaki came in and beat up all the other caveman looking for Bel doesn’t mean you should throw her out now! ...Well okay, maybe it does. But like hell is Ayla gonna let that happen!

...Goddamn moody old fart, ain’t he?

Well, I think Ayla, Gori and Bel just got themselves exiled.

And yes, the game’s sad music starts playing.

Let’s just take a moment to think about this, and how to survive without the tribe…

...Well, so much for poignancy. See you all next time!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh my god, this game is so goofy. :allears:

Is he flipping the party off when he's lying on the ground there? Zaki is rude. :colbert: To say nothing of the indecent exposure. :gonk:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Yapping Eevee posted:

Why are you wearing a live lizard as underwear? A lizard you apparently trained to attack people?! :psyduck:

Answered your own question. I mean, where else are you gonna keep your attack lizard? :rolleyes:

Seriously Zaki is easily one of the most :wtc: things in a game chock-full of precisely those sorts of things.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I would like to make it clear: the ninja scenario actually takes place at almost the same time as the cowboy one. The appearance of a certain important character in it places it squarely in the late nineteenth century. :eng101:

Edit: Also, I vote we call the Kung Fu Wrestling protagonist Saitama

NewMars fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 19, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Now that we've met Bel and seen exactly how zany the rest of the cast is I don't think it's a spoiler to put forth my unofficial title for this chapter (for whenever it comes up in casual conversation):
A Cave Boy and his Man Ape go on an Excellent Adventure to get Laid.

Bel's brief sprite nudity and Zaki's pixel censorship do help sell this as a caveman fantasy without being too out of place. It helps that it's handled pretty much as goofily as the rest of the chapter.
I mean, look at Zaki's downed pose. You may defeat him BUT HIS LIZARD SHALL NEVER DIE! :black101:

Yapping Eevee posted:

This is a good post that adds in a few details I missed. I might actually include it in the Table of Contents if you wouldn't mind.

Also why do so many people miss one of the e's.
No problem, I even did some more grammar checking on it!
Also put in the missing e.

AlphaKretin posted:

Is he flipping the party off when he's lying on the ground there? Zaki is rude. :colbert: To say nothing of the indecent exposure. :gonk:

It sort of looks like it (and you can totally make a case for it) but it's just him continuing to hold his forefinger up. Because apparently he learned the smug 'come at me bro' finger waggle somewhere and has incorporated it into his fighting style as such that he MUST keep that finger extended even when getting his lizard handed to him.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good to know the tribe walled off those sand wastes for a reason.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I think I'm starting to understand why NoA passed on this :allears:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

NewMars posted:

I would like to make it clear: the ninja scenario actually takes place at almost the same time as the cowboy one. The appearance of a certain important character in it places it squarely in the late nineteenth century. :eng101:

Edit: Also, I vote we call the Kung Fu Wrestling protagonist Saitama

the wrestler is no where near as cool and good to justify that name

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

NewMars posted:

This is correct. Even setting aside that character, I believe either the actual Japanese version of the ninja scenario, or an earlier translation of it, or both, referred to it as the "Bakumatsu" chapter, which specifically dates it between 1850 and 1870 right from the chapter selection screen, no other information needed. (Yes, there is a specific term for that particular short time period, for reasons I might blab on about uncontrollably once we get to that chapter.) The contents of the cowboy one require it to happen, at the earliest, in the mid 1860s, and more likely a few years later, so it would be ninja first and then cowboy by a hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

This is correct. Even setting aside that character, I believe either the actual Japanese version of the ninja scenario, or an earlier translation of it, or both, referred to it as the "Bakumatsu" chapter, which specifically dates it between 1850 and 1870 right from the chapter selection screen, no other information needed. (Yes, there is a specific term for that particular short time period, for reasons I might blab on about uncontrollably once we get to that chapter.) The contents of the cowboy one require it to happen, at the earliest, in the mid 1860s, and more likely a few years later, so it would be ninja first and then cowboy by a hair.

Agreed; one particular thing in that chapter has it taking place in 1876 or a few years after.

• Locked thread