Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Think of it as Ranta acting out the part of what he thinks a man is supposed to be. He's just had bad role models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hargrimm posted:

First time through, I thought the demon was a tiny little thing that he keeps in that bag, but I think they were just looting that goblin and talking about it tangentially... Either way at least one other party member has actually seen it.

I think they were just talking about the demon's name. He has a cute nickname.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Knorth posted:

:yeah:

I hope Yume gets better with her bow and Haruhiro does more sneaky stuff, I like those lighter classes generally

Yume's speccing daggers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hagop posted:

I thought animation in general was like supper parallelizable, allowing most time constants to be solved by more bodies. IE less money = less personal = less manageable work load per person = quality issues.

Hiring a bunch of unskilled people is a perfect recipe for terrible quality though. Or even if we leave skill out of the equation, not everyone's going to be able to match the specific style being used. Forcing your animation director or whatever to spend more time sorting through inconsistent drawings isn't going to help all that much.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Could we tone down the "actually, in the LN..." posts unless people specifically ask about the LN? That's the kind of thing that ruins threads.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I doubt we're past volume 1. We haven't even had a complete story arc yet. Although this thing with grieving Manato would probably be that arc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Haruhiro and Moguza both have the same bounce, it's just less obvious since you can't see their legs.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You mean how she ends every sentence with naa? That doesn't seem too unusual to me, as far as anime accents go. To me it feels like the stereotypical valley girl adding, like, "like" to every sentence. It's not a strange nonsense sound or anything, it's just a generic phrase that denotes a bit of uncertainty and a desire for affirmation, y'know? Also filtered through an accent of some sort.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The story seems to be more "what if ordinary kids were actually put into an RPG-like world?" and less "the world is literally an RPG."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

A single cour is just the standard these days, unless something is expected to be exceptionally popular. Then they can decide whther or not to make a sequel based on how well it does. It has nothing to do with how long the original series is, and they never expect to reach anywhere near the end anyway. From the publisher's perspective (who are the ones giving the bulk of the funding), the whole anime is just an advertisement for the books anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's probably worth noting that "game" in Japanese is a loanword and generally refers to video games specifically. I don't think the confusion was over the general concept of play or whatever, but specifically video games. Manato said "this isn't a video game!" and everyone goes "huh? what does that mean?" They'd probably be familiar with chess since it's a thing that exists in this world, and they seem to have general knowledge of things. I mean, it's not like they forgot what beer was.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 29, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zettace posted:

Yeah, I felt bad for the goblins. But then I realized that they most likely ransacked the human town in the first place and war is war.

If they ransacked the town, that was decades ago based on the decay. So probably not the exact same goblins in question. And the humans certainly don't seem to care about taking the city back, given how they were mocking the party for sticking to goblins instead of moving on. They seem to be treated as a nuisance more than a war, like exterminating wild animals to protect food or livestock.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's a LN, so it's a harem by default until proven otherwise. Likewise, Ranta presumptively exists simply to make Haruhiro seem charming and attractive in comparison. I did like the fact that their class-roles made Yume and Haruhiro naturally spend more time alone together though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

If that were the case, they wouldn't have made Manato and Moguzo such rad dudes

Manato was also Haruhiro's love interest.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Not sure how to feel about this ending. Ranta somehow escapes being surrounded with the stairs collapsed, offsceen, and Haruhiro randomly kills Date Spots by himself with a super critical hit. For a show with themes of teamwork and knowing your weaknesses, it all seems a bit contrived just to create a happy ending.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, as cute as the demon thing was, it would have been funnier if he never got any actual magical powers for his class.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just intuitively, Yume would make a terrible leader and Mary would be double-traumatized if Haruhiro died, so Ranta does kind of make the most sense by default.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Arkeus posted:

Yume and Mary would make good leaders and Shihoru could grow into a great one. They also have the huge advantage to be in positions where they can look at the whole of the battle and to be able to quickly intervene everywhere.

Ranta? Ranta would make a horrible leader given he actually can't communicate well nor understand people around him, and he is constantly in melee so can't actually see what's going on.

Yume is even more terrible at communicating what she's thinking, and as I said Mary would be double traumatized by Haruhiro's death and possibly quit the business altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mary's growth strikes me as "you don't need to keep mourning forever, you can make new friends." However, if those new friends immediately die as well then that same message flips over into "you will live a life of constant suffering." Growth isn't a one-way street, and people don't magically become better people even given cathartic experiences. I would say she's showing a lot of potential but is still relatively fragile, emotionally. Her reaction to Haruhiro even attempting to stay behind to help them seemed somewhat telling to me. I mean, it's certainly not unreasonable, but dungeon crawling isn't a reasonable life in the first place. Not everyone's going to be suited for it, which is sort of the point of the story, at least in the beginning.

Yume... well, honestly I can't remember it all that clearly but she struck me as being incredibly bad at choosing the right words and expressing herself. She's honest and direct, but just not a good speaker. It's a matter of skill and practice. Other people have to stop think about what she's saying pretty much every time she talks, which is not something I'd appreciate in a leader explaining a strategy or giving orders based on split-second decisions.

• Locked thread