Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

i thought it was interesting that after all the friction between him and ranta, the haruhiro told ranta to lead the group when he thought he was going to die, the same way manato told haruhiro to lead. i wish they had expanded on that a little bit more instead of it coming kind of out of the blue, but it was a nice way of showing that ranta had earned some bit of respect
Honestly, this felt too much like "You are the man of the group now" (because Mozco is too passive), and I'm not a fan of that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Clarste posted:

Just intuitively, Yume would make a terrible leader and Mary would be double-traumatized if Haruhiro died, so Ranta does kind of make the most sense by default.

Yume and Mary would make good leaders and Shihoru could grow into a great one. They also have the huge advantage to be in positions where they can look at the whole of the battle and to be able to quickly intervene everywhere.

Ranta? Ranta would make a horrible leader given he actually can't communicate well nor understand people around him, and he is constantly in melee so can't actually see what's going on.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Ranta seems like he understands people fairly well. He just doesn't really care.

He has a lot more insight on haruhiro than haruhiro himself does
That's how people work, you have the least insight about yourself. However, Ranta has been clearly unable to understand pretty much anyone. That he has insights about Haruhiro doesn't mean he is not utterly wrong too.

Clarste posted:

Yume is even more terrible at communicating what she's thinking, and as I said Mary would be double traumatized by Haruhiro's death and possibly quit the business altogether.

Yume is actually not that bad as she pretty consistently is able to communicate with everyone but Ranta, and writing Mary off is neglecting how she grew up.

Hell, Yume actually gets able to comunicate with Ranta by the end.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

Yume, Moguzo, and Shihoru strike me as people with little confidence in their own decisions, and really need someone else to take charge. They might do well as the last resort, but Haru taking the initiative was a huge weight off their chests.

It was the same for Haruhiro though. He was 'chosen' to take over, but he is definitely not someone who wanted to be the leader and had to learn to be one. "Ranta is arrogant" is not the trait that would make him the best leader choice here.

Yume actually is decent at talking to people and get through to others, and she is decently smart and not the type to rush into death. Shihoru is really really good at taking things seriously and would make an incredible leader because she'll work her rear end off to be one. Mary would be pretty good mainly because she is the one they all already mostly look up to and she has decent experience as well as a great position for being a leader.

The reason Moguzo isn't a good choice is because he just wants to rush at people and because a tank shouldn't be the leader. Ranta is basically a Moguzo that also is super arrogant and has issues communicating. He is by far the worst choice for a leader, but he is Haruhiro's rival.

So Haruhiro chose him because as Ranta is his rival he has "strength" in Haruhiro's mind (also because he is a guy).

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Might as well shed some light.

Yume would be a terrible leader. She actually is not very intelligent, but the main thing is that she is very risk adverse and against trying new things, when she thinks they have a good thing going. She is not too good at comuicating. She also holds grudges in some cases, for a while in the light novel she would always vote against any idea if Ranta was for it.
I... pretty much disagree with everything there. She is pretty good at communicating, and holding grudges isn't bad. The only one in the team that doesn't hold grudge is Mozugo.

Being risk adverse is, in my mind, a great thing. for a leader.

quote:

Shihoru would also be a bad leader. She is very passive and tends to just go for Yume or Haru's opinion on a matter. Haruhiro at one point realized his side would a win a vote because Shihoru was going to vote whatever he did. (He noticed that if he started to raise his hand she would too.) While Yume is gets in more shouting matchs with Ranta, Shihoru clearly hates Ranta more then anyone else in the group. (One of the few things she is vocal about is her hate of Ranta. At one pointing telling him to go kill himself.) In fact insulting Ranta pretty much the only time Shihoru's shy girlness goes away.
Shihoru would be an incredible leader. She has issues with taking charge of other people and has big trust isues (in the sense she trusts people too much) but she is the one who actually think things through the best and is very decisive.

quote:

Moguzo is also very passive. Mary would likely quit the group if Haru died.
Being passive isn't bad, it's better than being the opposite, and Mary wouldn't quit the group if Haru died. Her whole arc is that it's actually part of life to have her friend dying and she should learn to still cherishes the moments she has with them.

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think that has very much at all to do with being a good leader, and sounds more like a recipe for having a leader who's a nervous wreck that is always exhausted and breaks down whenever anything goes wrong.

That sounds like a receipe for having a leader that's actually a leader instead of the mess that is Haruhiro actually.

Arkeus fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 22, 2016

• Locked thread