Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Lacedaemonius posted:

I fear the picture will give away the surprise.

Considering this game came out in 2004, it's pretty interesting how it ended up being both a preview of what the shooter genre would shift towards over the next half of the decade, and a call-back to classic Doom-like gameplay at the same time. The results are kind of schizophrenic, to say the least.

Like, on the one hand you've got the real-world premise of taking out terrorists and rescuing hostages and the like, real-world weapons that almost never do stuff the real things don't do (the closest I can think is the AUG and SG 552's fire rates lowering when you look down the scope), and generally low ammo counts that you can make more tolerable by shooting bad guys in the head to save ammo, but on the other hand you're carrying around as many guns as you can find (the only odd thing is you have to find the guns in a crate or something rather than just taking them off of killed bad guys), sprinting around at top speed no matter how much you're loaded down, and finding some secrets by taking advantage of collision detection and the classic Half-Life air control. It's kind of like something I read in a previous LP thread about Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter and Rainbow Six: Vegas in that regard, in that Ubisoft back then (two years after this game came out) sort of could tell what direction the genre was heading in but had some pretty odd ideas as to how they were going to get there.

Also, media like this set in Japan always amuses me for the sheer amount of guns that seem to be available in a country that bans pretty much everything from civilian usage. I think the only game I've seen that comes close to realistically representing what's available outside of law enforcement and the military is the first Siren - there's like three or four guns available and only one of them isn't a relatively-ancient holdover from one of the World Wars.

Also just want to note I picked up the original Counter-Strike and Condition Zero during one of the recent Steam sales thanks to this LP. Haven't touched Deleted Scenes yet, but so far it's pretty cool, even if I'm still poo poo at it. I think Global Offensive automatically giving you armor in practice mode has spoiled me, it took a couple rounds before I realized that was why I seemed to be taking more damage than I dealt no matter what weapons were involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Well said. What comes to mind for me is the thought that this game is personified as a shooter wearing Modern Warfare's skin as a suit, like the Silence of the Lambs. It's strange and awkward and never quite comes together, but you can definitely see what the intent was. As for guns in Japan, I read a blog post by some expat that said that getting a hunting license and long guns, is surprisingly easy, just expensive and time consuming. iirc after attending a million classes and waiting a year or two you can purchase a shotgun, and 5-10 years (I forget) after that a rifle. It's draconian, but nowhere near as strict I expected, and daresay more lenient than quite a few other countries.

I'm very glad you decided to get CS, and I hope you're enjoying it! Global Offensive will definitely teach bad habits, and as a matter of fact I was just playing a bot match today in CZ and I nearly lost a round and likely the entire game because I started reloading while I defused the bomb. It's because while GO let's you do whatever the hell you want while you defuse, doing pretty much anything in the earlier games will stop the defuse. Even after a decade you can still get tripped up.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Mission 10 doesn't seem too bad. Frustrating, hard, but looks short enough to be bearable.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Mission 10 doesn't seem too bad. Frustrating, hard, but looks short enough to be bearable.
Yeah, altogether it's an alright level, if you find the AK or the M60 and the first time I didn't. In-and-of-itself that's not so bad, except when I restarted the level all the flavor NPCs were dead, and I had to noclip to actually get past to the shooting part. Went through the entire level with the briefcase and AK. This was nearly a decade ago and it left a bitter enough taste in my mouth that I can still remember it well enough to recount now. Maybe I'm overreacting, idk, but I'll always remember this level with nothing but scorn.

Oh, and for anyone that hasn't seen it yet:

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
A heads-up for everyone: I'll be taking a trip in a few days and gone for about a week. I'll have another update before then, but nothing while I'm gone so don't worry if the thread seems quiet, I've not abandoned the LP!

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
If there are three more Japan levels to go, we must have a lot of levels to go?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Lord Malfegor posted:

If there are three more Japan levels to go, we must have a lot of levels to go?

Yes and no. There's 19 levels total in the game including the training mission, which means we're about 3/5 through the game. Here, have a(n old) picture. 6 levels are "side missions" and not part of the main campaign, which just means you pick them from the world map there instead of unlocking them through the single-player campaign, and it just so happens that the country with the most missions is also the one with all of the side missions. We're closer to the end than you'd think.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Update's here as promised, and since I love you all so much I even got you this:

That's right, it's a double feature! Be well fellas, and we'll finish the game when I return next week.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Ok so that was a lot longer than a week but I've got something to show for the delay. Two somethings actually, it's another double feature:

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Update time!

And just like that we're halfway through the bonus missions, closing in very fast on the end!

E: Youtube detected one of my videos was shaky and offered to stabilize it for me. I indulged my macabre curiosity and the results were suitably ridiculous.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 25, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Some of these levels seem reasonably well made.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Some of these levels seem reasonably well made.
Definitely, I wasn't very articulate before but the strict level architecture and aesthetics for a lot of the levels is very cool, but is quickly brought down by design follies like ambush enemy spawns, poor player guidance, and some particularly bad level gimmicks (Alamo chopper defence, Miami sewers, etc.). There's a particularly egregious example in the next level.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Lacedaemonius posted:

E: Youtube detected one of my videos was shaky and offered to stabilize it for me. I indulged my macabre curiosity and the results were suitably ridiculous.

Wow. It's almost weird how closely youtube's attempt at stabilization resembles sanity damage in Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
When I played this game as a young teenager I never saw the vent half way up the wall in the Miami sewers, I can rest happy knowing how to get past that section now.

I think you were saying that recoil patterns in CS GO are easier to control than in CS 1.5/1.6. From my experience it is the other way around, pro players could control the recoil extremely well in the older CS, and then when CS Source came a long it was randomized a bit. CS GO seems to be in the middle. Maybe I didn't understand what you were saying and I'm not a pro, just my experience over the years.

I am a bit sad that this LP isn't getting much attention, I love most things in the Goldsource engine, and your commentary is great. Your quick witted and you always have something interesting to say. I hope once you have finished this LP that you come back to do another. Great work!

SCUD STORM -

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I was hoping to get all the Japan missions in one fell swoop but this piece of poo poo ended up taking far longer than I intended. I eventually had to Frankenstein it together from a bunch of different recordings.

In any case we're very close to finished with the game so I'd love to get everyone's opinion on what game to do next. I'm trying to decide between the following:
Counter-Life - Half-Life with Counter-Strike weapons, economy, and damage model-ish done in a pseudo-RP style. Mostly a subdued, almost British stream-of-consciousness type thing rather than an over-the-top Freeman's Mind clone.

Doom's Mod Merge (STALKER Shadow Of Chernobyl) - A stalker mod that adds total freeplay (spawn as any faction and do work for them) with a fully revamped arsenal done in ironman format. Goon driven in that character/faction/goals are decided by posters. I was originally planning on doing it instead of this and even wrote most of an OP, but shied away for fear that it wouldn't drive enough interest to be self-sustaining.

Receiver - A procedurally-generated roguelite FPS where you must manually manipulate each individual aspect of the firearm: cock the hammer, switch off the safety, rack the slide, and try not to drop your magazine. The game has got a strong Blade Runner cyberpunk-esque vibe and the high degree of randomness leads to quite a few "you had to be there" moments.

Hotline Miami 2 - I was never satisfied with my LP and would like to do a re-shoot at some point.

Lord Malfegor posted:

When I played this game as a young teenager I never saw the vent half way up the wall in the Miami sewers, I can rest happy knowing how to get past that section now.
I had the exact same problem the first time I played the Miami level, and even knowing it's there spent a good 5 min looking for it in my practice run. Who even puts a vent like that in the sewers

Lord Malfegor posted:

I think you were saying that recoil patterns in CS GO are easier to control than in CS 1.5/1.6. From my experience it is the other way around, pro players could control the recoil extremely well in the older CS, and then when CS Source came a long it was randomized a bit. CS GO seems to be in the middle. Maybe I didn't understand what you were saying and I'm not a pro, just my experience over the years.
I definitely agree that 1.6 recoil is easier to control, but what I mean (at least now that I can put fingers to keys) is that GO's patterns are more consistent: if you stand still and empty a mag into a wall a hundred times you'll get more similar results. I don't why goldsrc CS's recoil is so much easier to manage since the above should mean that GO's would be easier, but there are a lot of things I don't know.

Lord Malfegor posted:

I am a bit sad that this LP isn't getting much attention, I love most things in the Goldsource engine, and your commentary is great. Your quick witted and you always have something interesting to say. I hope once you have finished this LP that you come back to do another. Great work!
Thanks a lot for saying so! You have no idea how validating that is to hear after second-guessing yourself on every cut and detail.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lacedaemonius posted:

I was hoping to get all the Japan missions in one fell swoop but this piece of poo poo ended up taking far longer than I intended. I eventually had to Frankenstein it together from a bunch of different recordings.

In any case we're very close to finished with the game so I'd love to get everyone's opinion on what game to do next. I'm trying to decide between the following:
Counter-Life - Half-Life with Counter-Strike weapons, economy, and damage model-ish done in a pseudo-RP style. Mostly a subdued, almost British stream-of-consciousness type thing rather than an over-the-top Freeman's Mind clone.

Doom's Mod Merge (STALKER Shadow Of Chernobyl) - A stalker mod that adds total freeplay (spawn as any faction and do work for them) with a fully revamped arsenal done in ironman format. Goon driven in that character/faction/goals are decided by posters. I was originally planning on doing it instead of this and even wrote most of an OP, but shied away for fear that it wouldn't drive enough interest to be self-sustaining.

Receiver - A procedurally-generated roguelite FPS where you must manually manipulate each individual aspect of the firearm: cock the hammer, switch off the safety, rack the slide, and try not to drop your magazine. The game has got a strong Blade Runner cyberpunk-esque vibe and the high degree of randomness leads to quite a few "you had to be there" moments.

Hotline Miami 2 - I was never satisfied with my LP and would like to do a re-shoot at some point.

I had the exact same problem the first time I played the Miami level, and even knowing it's there spent a good 5 min looking for it in my practice run. Who even puts a vent like that in the sewers

I definitely agree that 1.6 recoil is easier to control, but what I mean (at least now that I can put fingers to keys) is that GO's patterns are more consistent: if you stand still and empty a mag into a wall a hundred times you'll get more similar results. I don't why goldsrc CS's recoil is so much easier to manage since the above should mean that GO's would be easier, but there are a lot of things I don't know.

Thanks a lot for saying so! You have no idea how validating that is to hear after second-guessing yourself on every cut and detail.

I vote Receiver or HM2.

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
Of course in Japan all mission debriefings occur in a dojo.

I would like to see counter-life, I have never heard of such a mod before. Otherwise Hotline Miami 2.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
I'd have to vote for Counter-Life too. One, CS weapons over something else sounds interesting. Two, the idea for the LP sounds similar to one I've had, except not poo poo (my idea was HL2 as some shmuck named Gordon Threemen as an excuse to throw in as much weird poo poo as I can).

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Kadorhal posted:

(my idea was HL2 as some shmuck named Gordon Threemen as an excuse to throw in as much weird poo poo as I can).
Gordon Freeman with Multiple Personality/Dissociative Identity Disorder sounds like a brilliant LP.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Another week...ish, another update!

Hope to have the final update finished ASAP so I can finally move onto the next game(s), which I've decided to be Counter-Life and Hotline Miami 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Not quite ASAP, but I think I made pretty good time.

That was the last mission! Unless anyone has any CS or CZ requests I'm ready to be done with roguegearboxturtlerockritual for a long time.

• Locked thread