Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Lacedaemonius posted:

So here it is: I challenge everyone reading to find even a single thing in this game that's worth worth spoiling. If you can find something, you're a better man/woman/goon than I.

There's a mission where you're Spetsnaz and your commander doesn't make it. What do I win?

This game has been interesting me lately. I never really could get into Counter-Strike given the insane amount of skill difference (even when I first picked the game up there were already people playing some version of it or another for close to ten years). But recently trying out practice mode against bots and even some Arms Race in Global Offensive proved that I absolutely love the mechanics, so something that lets me play around with them against more AI instead of having to deal with super-skilled human players seemed cool. The only reason I didn't pick this up several times over during various sales is my friend did so himself and couldn't get it to actually run for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

I know that the boss fight was tedious, but the chopper's durability was the most realistic part of that last level.

:eng101: The largest caliber your machine gun could plausibly be is 12.7mm, which that hind gunship is almost completely impervious to from any conceivable angle.

Yeah, Lace ended up getting a pretty good profile view of the machine gun when he was hiding from the chopper at one point, that had to have been a Browning M2 in .50 BMG (12.7x99mm).

How and why a technical in Russia is using an American heavy machine gun, which uses an entirely different 12.7mm bullet than the one actually produced anywhere in the country, is the kind of question a game like this would gloss over.

The weapon selection in CS is overall kind of silly because it follows the general "good guns vs bad guns" thing most other media does, including the caveat about how American and other NATO guns are universally "good" unless their fame comes from gang use, whereas WarPac guns are universally "bad", which results in silly poo poo like the Israeli Defense Force and GSG 9 being able to buy French FAMAS and Austrian AUG assault rifles no trouble while not having access to the Galil and G3/SG1 they should be able to use unless they loot one from a dead terrorist. The only high-profile exception to the usual rules I can think of in the game is that the AUG is a good-guy gun available to CTs only, completely ignoring the precedent Die Hard set for it.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Lacedaemonius posted:

Color me surprised, I figured that since .50 BMG or 12.7x108mm (on the off chance it's a Russian MG) are designed as anti-materiel rounds they'd be able to penetrate the hull, or at least the rotor mechanism.

I'm kind of sad to learn that, actually. Apparently that time in ARMA II where I forced a Hind to crash-land by shooting out its rotor/engine with a Barrett M107 isn't actually possible in reality.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Lacedaemonius posted:

I fear the picture will give away the surprise.

Considering this game came out in 2004, it's pretty interesting how it ended up being both a preview of what the shooter genre would shift towards over the next half of the decade, and a call-back to classic Doom-like gameplay at the same time. The results are kind of schizophrenic, to say the least.

Like, on the one hand you've got the real-world premise of taking out terrorists and rescuing hostages and the like, real-world weapons that almost never do stuff the real things don't do (the closest I can think is the AUG and SG 552's fire rates lowering when you look down the scope), and generally low ammo counts that you can make more tolerable by shooting bad guys in the head to save ammo, but on the other hand you're carrying around as many guns as you can find (the only odd thing is you have to find the guns in a crate or something rather than just taking them off of killed bad guys), sprinting around at top speed no matter how much you're loaded down, and finding some secrets by taking advantage of collision detection and the classic Half-Life air control. It's kind of like something I read in a previous LP thread about Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter and Rainbow Six: Vegas in that regard, in that Ubisoft back then (two years after this game came out) sort of could tell what direction the genre was heading in but had some pretty odd ideas as to how they were going to get there.

Also, media like this set in Japan always amuses me for the sheer amount of guns that seem to be available in a country that bans pretty much everything from civilian usage. I think the only game I've seen that comes close to realistically representing what's available outside of law enforcement and the military is the first Siren - there's like three or four guns available and only one of them isn't a relatively-ancient holdover from one of the World Wars.

Also just want to note I picked up the original Counter-Strike and Condition Zero during one of the recent Steam sales thanks to this LP. Haven't touched Deleted Scenes yet, but so far it's pretty cool, even if I'm still poo poo at it. I think Global Offensive automatically giving you armor in practice mode has spoiled me, it took a couple rounds before I realized that was why I seemed to be taking more damage than I dealt no matter what weapons were involved.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

I'd have to vote for Counter-Life too. One, CS weapons over something else sounds interesting. Two, the idea for the LP sounds similar to one I've had, except not poo poo (my idea was HL2 as some shmuck named Gordon Threemen as an excuse to throw in as much weird poo poo as I can).

• Locked thread