Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

VictualSquid posted:

I started listening to the podcast "oral history of the kickstarter union". It is extremely interesting and inspiring. All those bougie failson laninists who love repeating union busting talking points should be required to listen to it.

The General Intellect Unit interview with them was very interesting and inspiring, I'll have to add that to my podcast list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
according to reputable news source Esquire magazine the grateful dead designed the shirt

is the grateful dead skull a totenkopf

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
Abolish mods, establish a democratic centralist system where moderation decisions are arrived at by community vote and implemented by figureheads

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
i dont know what dynamic pegging is but i like the sound of it

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

Impermanent posted:

The problem with internet leftists is that materialism unlocks a methodology for being correct about things few others are willing to acknowledge. Like any group of people with specialized knowledge (doctors, programmers, engineers) they immediately assume this new found power applies cross-discipline, and indeed in every facet of life and society. But you only know what you study.

this is an interesting phenomenon i've wondered about for a while. best i can come up with is 'dunning-kreuger is topic-specific but people don't understand that' but that's descriptive and not explanatory

i think part of it is spending so long studying/working on one type of problem that you don't really get to experience being wrong in other fields just from sheer lack of exposure

i hadn't thought about it affecting commie mega-nerds but it makes some sense

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

you would mainly replace the market impulses on the industrial base with intelligently extrapolated statistical forecasts in your central distribution node in the population center, but you can’t completely ignore real life in the distribution centres either or else you risk running out of anime or toothbrushes unexpectedly as the factory planning becomes progressively disconnected from what the people need

so you dynamically peg the underlying production orders in the factory to the anticipated stock transfer orders coming from the hub, and all of this across the multi-level subset hierarchy of the product. as the distribution needs move forwards or backwards in the next months your supply plan in production adapts dynamically as the heuristic optimizer algorithms take it into account (and flag an alert for the supply planners if there’s a big issue - the principle of cybersyn was local management unless additional support is needed from central planning)

proper inventory management is an existential, critical process for any centrally planned system because at the other end you won’t peg your purchase orders to the raw material suppliers (they could be geographically situated anywhere in the world) so if the requested transfer dates slide too far forward you create a mess in production by not having the correct raw material available.

in summary, boxes of anime pillows disappearing creates chaos in the quota management system and the industrial base and will be punishable by the gulag

kind of understood some of this since im about halfway through Brain of the Firm lol. don't know anything about actual modern logistics tho, which seems like is where the 'pegging' part is coming from? i'm surprised cybernetics doesn't come up more on this forum

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

yeah, modern logistics is about cleaning as much noise out of the system as possible and then synchronizing the demand with coupling points through time with cutoffs and offsets so it lines up nicely in the shop floor

never read Brain of the Firm but I do a lot of work on production planning systems and ended up working backwards to cybernetics

im a big fan of pegging, I don’t think pegging was developed yet back then

Beer is especially interesting imo because of the relatively unsophisticated computers available back then. rather than relying on computers to track and process tons of data, he used deliberately structured information flows to create layers of abstraction so that policy-makers didn't have to deal with masses of data

he had some takes on logistics from my understanding but it must be in one of his other books. Brain is specifically about management

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

Beer’s approach was revolutionary and the clear precursor to the modern planning systems used today in Amazon and Walmart, but if cybersyn had been allowed to continue they would have quickly run into operational issues about data accuracy - the layers of abstraction used to summarize for policy makers only works if the underlying data is correct. that’s the fundamental conceit. bad data leads to bad decisions

That's an interesting take I hadn't seen before. Why do you think they couldn't have kept the data accurate? Just the change in scale versus Beer's other projects?

quote:

the new trend with the advances in AI (which I oppose in the systems I work on) is to permit logistics directors to receive the same abstracted summaries but then permit them to drill down and disaggregate to the deepest levels to identify in near real time what has happened

you don’t want those fucks digging that close into your factory situation, Beer was right about that. they create more issues than they solve because they have no idea what the local situation is

I mean this sounds kind of like "System 3*", which allows for direct auditing of the work groups by the metasystem. I don't have a deep enough understanding of the VSM to tell if this is really comparable to that though

Centrist Committee posted:

I’ve not gotten to Beer yet but naively this sounds a little like how neural networks deal with information

Idk about neural nets but the flow of information and control in Beer's Viable Systems Model is explicitly modeled after a vertebrate nervous system. The goofy diagram associated with it (check the Wikipedia page lol) is just a nervous system redrawn with cybernetics markup lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
I done started a cybernetics thread, sharing the link since I know some posters ITT were interested.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)