Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Crypt of the NecroDancer is a rhythm-based roguelike where you delve through a series of procedurally generated floors in a dungeon, slaying monsters and collecting luteloot all set to a beat. It was developed by Brace Yourself Games in Vancouver, and came out on Steam (PC/Mac/Linux) on April 23, 2015 for $15 USD. It was in Early Access for just under a year before its full release, receiving quite the glowing praise for taking what would otherwise be kind of a generic dungeon crawler and making it one of the most creative games in the last few years. The game will receive a Playstation 4 and Playstation Vita port on February 2, 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcbQ_R34Cb4

Rhythm Based Roguelike? What?
It's true. The enemies in NecroDancer all move and attack in time with the beat of the music. Similarly, you do too. If you simply mash the arrow keys like an idiot, you're not going anywhere. This is, in fact, justified in a cutscene. Besides, you get a coin multiplier for staying on-beat, and who doesn't want more coins? Plus, the floor lights up like a disco hall when your multiplier is going, and it looks really cool. Also, there's a Dance Pad Mode!

Okay, well, how's the music?
In a surprising twist, the music in this rhythm game is quite good! It was composed by Danny Baranowsky, who previously worked on Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac, with some help from youtube guitarist Jules Conroy, otherwise known as FamilyJules7X. NecroDancer comes packed in with 3(!!!) soundtracks, the original by Danny B, with an EDM/Dubstep style remix set by A_Rival, and a heavy metal set by Jules. If none of these strike your fancy, there's also a custom soundtrack option for each level, though finding a properly balanced song can be difficult. The Playstation ports don't support custom soundtracks unfortunately but to make up for it there will be a 4th(!!!!) alternate soundtrack, courtesy of Jake Kaufman, aka virt.

Have a listen to some of my personal standouts:
Zone 1-1 (Danny B)
Zone 3-3H (Danny B)
Zone 4-1 (A_Rival)
Zone 4-3 (FamilyJules7X)
King Conga (A_Rival)
Death Metal (FamilyJules7X)

THE STORY
Our protagonist, Cadence, explores the cursed Crypt of the NecroDancer to find out what happened to her mother and father, even though her Uncle Eli warns against it, and is unwittingly caught in a-
Okay look, the story doesn't really matter. It's a couple of still frames with voice over justifying why everything is music based. NecroDancer Bad, Cadence Good, Play Game.

THE CHARACTERS

Cadence - Default character. Starts with a dagger and a shovel, normal gameplay rules.

Melody - Cadence's mother. Unlocked by beating the game once with Cadence. Same gameplay as Cadence, but equipped with the Golden Lute weapon.

Aria - Cadence's grandmother. Unlocked by beating the game once with Melody. Essentially Hard Mode, as she dies in a single hit or on a missed beat, and can't use any weapon other than the dagger.

Eli - Cadence's uncle. Unlocked by beating Zone 1. Bomberman mode: No weapon, but infinite bombs. Kick bombs toward enemies. Also comes with a Nazar Charm to ward off spirits.
Dove - Unlocked by beating Zone 2. Pacifist mode: no weapon, starts with upgraded shovel and Ring of Peace (lower enemy count, +1 HP). Confuses enemies to reverse their patterns, exit stairs are unlocked automatically, no boss fights.
Monk - Unlocked by beating Zone 3. Poverty mode: picking up gold or using the Riches Scroll is an instant kill. Shops offer 1 free item. Equipped with a Blood Shovel.
Dorian - Cadence's father. Unlocked by beating Cadence's Zone 4 boss. Equipped with a Pickaxe, Boots of Leaping, Ring of Might, Platemail, and a Compass. De-Activating the Boots of Leaping cause Dorian to take 1/2 HP of damage each step. Can't change armor or footwear.
Bard - Unlocked from the start. Easy mode: Not restricted to the beat, free movement. Enemies move based on your movement. Previous identity of the NecroDancer.
Bolt - Unlocked by finishing Monk Mode. Gotta Go Fast mode: Bolt and every enemy moves at double speed. Equipped with a spear and a Nazar Charm.
Coda - Unlocked by completing an All Characters run. Nightmare mode: combines the gameplay of Aria, Monk, and Bolt and can only use the dagger. Less than 15 people have completed Coda Mode. It is incredibly difficult.

Crypt of the NecroDancer Official Website | Twitter | Subreddit | CoND Online Racing League

This game rules and more people need to play it. Definitely pick up the PS4 or Vita version when it comes out if you're not big on PC gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
I am acurrently outraged you don't have this in your personal standout music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqJfqIwpXZ8

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
This game is pretty great, I would say pick it up if you like rhythm games, and/or rogue-lite random dungeons. I enjoyed most of the soundtrack and the overall quality and attention to detail is quite good. 9 thumbs up.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

I am acurrently outraged you don't have this in your personal standout music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqJfqIwpXZ8

Haha, don't worry, I just said SOME. Honestly there are only like 2 or 3 tracks I don't love, the music is all really fantastic. I'm hoping the virt soundtrack gets added to the Steam release as well but thankfully if not you can just plug it into the custom soundtracks.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
How to make this game weird: Play it with some of the more atmospheric Fez tracks, or the Rebel Galaxy soundtrack

Edit: I also ironically tried some Skrillex and that didn't go well

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The only custom tracks I've tried so far were a couple random chiptunes I had in my library before settling on a trio of Jet Set Radio songs for Zone 2. I'll probably go through at some point and set up a full run of stuff but for now I'm still totally fine with the in-game music. I'm curious how something like Metal Gear Rising or Guilty Gear will be interpreted.

As far as the game itself I managed to clear Zone 4 with Monk a few days ago and have been working on Aria. It's tough. I've gotten close to clearing Zone 4 a couple of times but I randomly mess up in 4-3 and just sigh in disappointment.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game is good

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eonwe posted:

game is good

:agreed:

It's more like spelunky than an actual roguelike in that if you died, you hosed up.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Eonwe posted:

game is good
:yeah:

Beating the game with Bolt is the hardest and most satisfying moment I successfully pulled off in years, also I think my hand was sore for days after
I don't find the other characters that fun and have no interest in even attempting a Coda run though so I guess I'm done with the game though

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

TriffTshngo posted:

Coda - Unlocked by completing an All Characters run. Nightmare mode: combines the gameplay of Aria, Monk, and Bolt and can only use the dagger. Less than 15 people have completed Coda Mode. It is incredibly difficult.

Holy Jesus at that run.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
This game is great, I recommend the Hotline Miami 2 soundtrack if you want some different music.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

TriffTshngo posted:

I'm curious how something like Metal Gear Rising or Guilty Gear will be interpreted.

I tried A Stranger I Remain set to 2x speed and it works pretty well. Regular speed Red Sun is good too.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 23, 2016

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Finally managed to get through Zone 4 with Aria. Thankfully there are ways around the 1 hit kill thing, such as Glass Armor you get from bombing a glass shrine, Scroll of Need to refill a potion if you've used it, Frost Charm, and a Ring of Protection to soak up hits. I've also started using magic WAY more than I ever have with the other characters. Zone 3 seems way more doable from the couple cracks at it I took right after.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Any decent magic (particularly shield, freeze) + ring of mana is one of the most broken setups I've found. Every time you cast the spell you're almost guaranteed to get enough kills to recharge it and repeat the process. I expect if I ever have any success with All Zones Aria it'll involve getting that within the first few levels.

I got really demoralized when I got to zone 3 and all the zone 4 assholes still showed up, though, so I don't know if I'm going to go back to it.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Two weeks stuck trying to brute force chapter 4. Maybe it will be best to just start from level 1 and steamroll the ending as a minmaxed rear end in a top hat.
I can't even begin to fathom not missing a beat ever.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

imho all the bosses are also cool and neatly designed and have kickass music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhMt92h7_Wo

:justdance:

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
FYI: PS4 users can download a free demo of NecroDancer on the Japanese PSN.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I didn't know for the longest time that the A Rival/Jules remixes didn't require buying the dlc to use in the game, it's just the extended ost. It's nice to be able to set the background music to cycle through them while I try to get the 10 consecutive cadence victory cheevo (I died at 9/10 before and it was a pretty :suicide: feeling).

Getting through Aria all-zones was a pretty great feeling though. It helped that I found out for the last boss you can defang by hitting him twice in one cycle, ultimately skipping his attack where he summons red/blue dragons.

staplegun fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 24, 2016

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I just unlocked Bolt today, which is great because

I never want to play as Monk ever again.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I don't think I'll ever be able to beat level 4 as Aria, I just don't have the consistency for the beat timings, eventually I'm always just a little too slow or don't quite press the arrow key hard enough; it's a shame too because the metal remixs are by far my favorites, 4-3 especially.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

AtillatheBum posted:

I don't think I'll ever be able to beat level 4 as Aria, I just don't have the consistency for the beat timings, eventually I'm always just a little too slow or don't quite press the arrow key hard enough; it's a shame too because the metal remixs are by far my favorites, 4-3 especially.

The good news is that you can change the soundtrack to the metal one (or the -yech- dubstep one) for any character in one of the options menus.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

After losing King Conga two or three times in a row I finally managed to get lucky and pull Coral Riff and cleared Zone 3. I'm awful at King Conga. His gimmick completely screws me up every time without fail.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The good news is that you can change the soundtrack to the metal one (or the -yech- dubstep one) for any character in one of the options menus.

Does anybody even use that dubstep one. It seems way worse than danny B's and familyjules' soundtracks.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's a game so good, it got localization into Japan

it's also a game I need to play one of these days

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I can confirm that game good.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Game good, game hard.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Oh jesus this final boss is absurd.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

Oh jesus this final boss is absurd.

I just beat that boss today. If you can defeat them twice in a row in training, odds are you can probably slay them for real w/ items.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Good game but gently caress off Aria. I'm a klutz who can't even get across a room without missing a beat let alone those jerk bosses with bizarre beat patterns.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Ice_Mallet posted:

I just beat that boss today. If you can defeat them twice in a row in training, odds are you can probably slay them for real w/ items.

I've actually had a fair bit of trouble navigating Zone 1 and not burning through all my stuff by the time I get to it, to be honest. But I finally wised up and did something I should've done a week or two ago and reset the item pool so I can get all those "double damage for you and enemies" items like the Karate Gi and Glass Jaw that I had cleared out for Cadence since I wasn't fond of them. Turns out when you only have half a heart worth of HP, the Glass Jaw is a pretty good item!

Also, Crypt of the Necrodancer is now out on Playstation 4 and Vita as of yesterday! Glad a crop of new players finally get to enjoy this game.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

:siren: Crypt of the NecroDancer currently $4.94 USD on Steam! :siren:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

With the release of the PS4 and Vita versions comes a soundtrack by Virt. It's probably my favorite of the bunch, but also I really like Virt in general so

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Aria mode clear! With a little bit more careful timing of the Shield spell (managed to activate it and have it run out on the last hit previously) I finally cheesed my way through the final boss. Now to get through the remaining 3 characters and never ever touch Coda because I don't hate myself.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
melody was loving eas mode I went through her zones in maybe a hour

but now it's aria

i don't appreciate this

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I had a monk in zone 3 with a bunch of awesome spells, and armour, and a titanium bow and other awesome poo poo. Can you guess how it ended?

dug out a gold-containing wall w/o noticing it and walked in

The seed also had both ring of phasing and dagger of phasing, but I abandoned the dagger to take the bow because I figured no way they'll BOTH show up :saddowns: also a ring of becoming in zone 3 but I dunno if there was transfig, since, you know. This was with the ring of luck though.

2303092 if anyone wants it

Also I really like the virt soundtrack, especially the zone 2 stuff. Real chill.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
cross bow of any kind seems to be the most op weapon

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

With the release of the PS4 and Vita versions comes a soundtrack by Virt. It's probably my favorite of the bunch, but also I really like Virt in general so

This is very good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kaubocks posted:

Listen to the remix of King Konga's song, it's amazing.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Virt did a great job with Shovel Knight but this isn't doing anything for me. The instrumentation just doesn't fit for the most part and some of them like Death Metal and the hot sides sound outright vile. 2-1 is pretty sweet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Oh god, how do golden lute

• Locked thread