Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Chip Baskets flunks out of Prestigious French Clown School and brings his green card-hungry bride back home to Bakersfield, California, where he finds work as a rodeo clown.

AVclub posted:

Created by Zack Galifianakis, Louis C.K., and Jonathan Krisel (Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!, Check It Out! with Dr. Steve Brule), FX’s new comedy Baskets is certainly not for everyone, and has received a polarized reaction from critics. To his credit, Galifianakis is keenly aware that a wide audience may not react well to a series about a professional clown struggling to make a living, but I personally think that this may be the perfect time for a show this specific to come around. Baskets will certainly alienate those expecting laugh-out-loud jokes every scene or for every punchline to be telegraphed from a mile away, but for those weaned on Louie and Adult Swim avant-garde weirdness, and who have embraced such “sad-coms” as You’re The Worst, Rick and Morty, and BoJack Horseman, Baskets will be right up their alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So it's Zach G so it's a comedy.
But it's on FX not FXX so it's not a comedy.
But it's got Louis CK involved and his 'sometimes a comedy, sometimes not' show is on FX.

I'm gonna watch it because it has cool and good people, but it's another example of the confusing FX/FXX branding that nobody, least of all the people running it, understand.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I love all the people involved and liked the pilot but yeah, right now it feels like a slightly uneven mix and I don't blame them for not knowing which of their sub-channels to stick this on. The drama side of it is great, it reminds me a lot of Louie or BoJack Horseman, the slapstick parts work too ... But then they interrupt it all for random bits like that scene of him trying to order weird sodas at a drive-through that was in all the trailers (which brought the pilot to a grinding stop imo). His twin brother Dale's career college ad feels like it's straight out of a Tim & Eric thing. Louie Anderson as Momma Baskets was some inspired casting though and I loved the scene at the end where, for a few seconds between bull assaults, we see the kind of artist Chip wants to be.

Oh, and Zach is really good in this in general.

AVclub has a piece about the first five episodes and appearantly the show really gets its poo poo together around ep 3 or 4.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 22, 2016

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I AM A CLOON!

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I liked the first episode. Louie anderson choking on the drink had me going for quite a while. Not really sure why, but it was goddamn hilarious.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I really love Zach Galifianakis playing a really self hating character. I'm interested to see how this show grows, I have high hopes for it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

buddhanc posted:

I liked the first episode. Louie anderson choking on the drink had me going for quite a while. Not really sure why, but it was goddamn hilarious.

There's so many funny aspects of that one scene at once. It was pretty brilliant.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Consummate Professional posted:

I really love Zach Galifianakis playing a really self hating character. I'm interested to see how this show grows, I have high hopes for it.

Baskets hitting his stride while rollerblading away at the end was a beautiful flicker of acceptance and hope for the future.

But truth be told, I could watch Zach walk around with his hands in his pockets kicking a can.

"Its Chip and he's in a box! I should've known he'd be a clown. Like an animal, how they play in boxes"
"How old is he there?"
"Ahh who knows"

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Was surprised to see Louie Anderson in this but he was great as Zach's mom. Anyone else get the feeling that the other set of twins are just a delusion?

Big Zach Galifianakis fan here and was also glad to see the "Seth Galifianakis" character recycled into Chip's brother. The BCC segment had me in stitches.

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.
Watch this show, everyone. It's absurdist and yet kind of grounded within it's own world. Louie Anderson is doing a great job, I actually believe he's Zach Galifianakis' mom.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Costco Costco Costco

Arby's

Costco Costco

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
Created by Louis CK ok. Is this where I can find discussion about Horace & Pete?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

Created by Louis CK ok. Is this where I can find discussion about Horace & Pete?

Ya, definitely. Check the previous posts, there's a ton about Horace and Pete. You're in the right place.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Louie Anderson is inexplicably creating one of the best dramatic portrayals of an older woman on television in a show about a rodeo clown. This past episode was great.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm honestly more invested in the whole sibling rivalry thing between Chip and Dale, just because they're both so ridiculous. The rest of the cast just feels like they don't belong. Especially the wife. She's just there to be a source of misery without any real comeuppance or comedic input on her part.

"My name is Dale Baskets, and I LOVE to hang out with children!"

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Really good epsisode. Louie Anderson is killing it. Those shots of chip smoking at night in Paris are beautiful. Makes me want to fly there, put on some boards of canada, and walk around all night.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

buddhanc posted:

Really good epsisode. Louie Anderson is killing it. Those shots of chip smoking at night in Paris are beautiful. Makes me want to fly there, put on some boards of canada, and walk around all night.

Louie Anderson is obviously stealing the spotlight here, and the rest of the actors are pretty great too. I really want to like this show and there's so much about it that I do really enjoy. Baskets is just such an rear end in a top hat and there isn't much redeeming about him. I'm hoping with the "my life is in disarray" line, we'll start to see him rebuild his life.

I'm afraid I AM A CLOON! won't be topped.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

That was kinda my take as I don't think the show can keep scraping rock bottom much longer without getting repetitive. Finally being honest about his situation presumably is the start of at least changing something instead of directionless wallowing.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Wow this show is really incredible. It has this air of like a modern John Waters film. Everything tinged with a little too much dirt/camp. Louie Anderson is delivering on a level I could never have imagined.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Zach G is killing it for me. It's him at his best, making subtle quick jokes that hit like a truck rather than hamming it up on Tim and Eric (sorry).

"It's only permanent"
"Would it kill you to stand up?"
"Your goof parents too"

Louie is great too of course. Also Louie's female insurance adjuster/chauffeur. And the rodeo manager. Etc.

The editing is top notch, maybe some Tim and Eric talent at play?

Show is perfect imo.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
This show is really really great and I can't believe more goons aren't watching this.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I caught up on this show over the past two days. That last episode was definitely my favorite. Really lovely. I'm so glad they're playing Louie Anderson completely straight - the whole cast is strong, but he's definitely the MVP. I never would have guessed.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Louie Anderson is a goddamn gem. Wonderful episode tonight

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Green Card Wife was the weakest part of the show for me so seeing Mama Baskets get rid of her felt really great.

Getting kinda tired of Chip making GBS threads on Martha though.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

“No matter what terrible thing happens in your life, it doesn’t matter because you’re in on the joke."

Jesus. This show gets better and better.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Show is definitely heading into god-tier territory.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

buddhanc posted:

Louie Anderson is a goddamn gem. Wonderful episode tonight

I was coming here to say this. He's so very good.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
this show is intensely good

i like how bottled sugary drinks are a theme for lower middle class american aspiration

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Mama Baskets does not play around.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Rodeo Boss needs to get his own spinoff show.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Season two is a go.

Also, I thought for some reason this show was doing really poorly ratings-wise, but according to that link it's the most popular basic cable prime time comedy. How come nobody I know has heard of it?

Depressio111117 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 24, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Depressio111117 posted:

it's the most popular basic cable prime time comedy. How come nobody I know has heard of it?

1.5m isn't even half a percent of the US population. So 99.5% of everybody is not watching it.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

less laughter posted:

1.5m isn't even half a percent of the US population. So 99.5% of everybody is not watching it.

yes I know I was being silly but thank u

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

That was a really sweet ending from a character growth point but I hope they continue the Mr. Rodeo plot for the end of the season. I was excited about getting more actual clowning in there after the last few episodes.

He could've just gone to see the DJ twins after the rodeo finished, pretty sure lovely DJs work longer hours than rodeo clowns, even if they're just the opening act. :(

All the cricket bits and the awkward dinner in general were really good though.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Gonna have to pick up this show later on. Baskets looks like what I imagine the ultimate fate of Kyle Kallgren is going to be.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

That was a really sweet ending from a character growth point but I hope they continue the Mr. Rodeo plot for the end of the season. I was excited about getting more actual clowning in there after the last few episodes.

He could've just gone to see the DJ twins after the rodeo finished, pretty sure lovely DJs work longer hours than rodeo clowns, even if they're just the opening act. :(

All the cricket bits and the awkward dinner in general were really good though.

I was so excited that we were going to see more clowning. I think they should include at least one serious clown scene per episode.

Basket's balloon deflating and him trying to catch it was hilarious as was the whole cricket buildup and payoff. Absolutely amazing.

The first few episodes were hard to watch from because they made the character so unlikable, but I feel it's really paid off in the last couple episodes. Knowing what he had been through and was dealing with has made the humor and character development really pop.

I'm loving this show!

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I never imagined a cross-dressing Louie Anderson would be one of my favorite tv characters in 2016

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Yeah this show rules. I got a Costco membership because of it. Tres bien, right?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Caught up on this and Horace and Pete. Now I'm sad from laughing so hard at all the sadness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

"I've been seeing you mope around lately, draggin' your sad sickness around behind you like a turd on a string." :allears:

• Locked thread