Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've played about 2 hours and it seems awesome so far. It is definitely Paper Mario in a Mario and Luigi game, not Mario and Luigi in a Paper Mario game though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't play dream team but the overwhelming complaint that I heard is that the game started too slow and had too many tutorials. In this game all the tutorials are optional stuff you can read about in menus, and the game also has a speed up button like FFXII.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

what do you mean? like leveling up and stuff is more conventional RPG stuff instead of paper mario's way of doing it?

Yeah. And it's the M&L combat with a third person, although Paper Mario does have unique physics. Also, his health functions different. He has super low health comapred to the other two but he maintains Paper Copies. As long as you have at least one copy alive you don't take damage from attacks, just lose clones. You have to burn a turn to get more copies, but the more copies you have a alive, the more damage you're attacks do, but you also have to do slightly longer attack inputs. Its fairly cool. Also no badges, I was hoping they would include that as part of the crossover. The Trio Attacks are pretty involved too, and they're awesome to pull off succesfully

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i hate people whining and crying about paper mario games

I would like them to make another one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's enemies in this game that can wipe you out in one attack if you don't dodge properly and that's cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Paper Petey Piranha was a real fucker. I used something like 12 1-Up shrooms because I kept loving up the airplane segments.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All of the bro attacks and trio moves are awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

I bought Paper Mario on the virtual console instead of this game, but I might still buy it down the line. it looks sick

It's better than I expected it would be. I like it a lot

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Most stuff past the desert has 3 or 4 attacks per animation if you missed every dodge it would one shot you. It's cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Paper Mario 1/TTYD were fun but once you learned the timing on everything you were essentially invincible and it was pretty easy. The difficulty in this game seems to be balanced around that and if you don't nail the dodging you just get pwned. I'm on the wiggler fight rn and its really hard and I love it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only aspect that seems suspect is that in game they tell you that if things are getting too hard you can swipe an amiibo to make battles easier which makes me think they're trying to pwn children into buying luigi amiibos.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

theres not much info on it but i dont think the amiibos are some super powerful "free" summon or anything. from what ive seen they work like the regular battle cards the game already gives you

They're free and they give you free items, attacks and power ups and they don't use a turn and you can use them once per battle. I don't have any so I cant try for myself but that's my understanding. They probably wouldn't help for boss fights though, considering how involved they are. One extra free turn probably wouldn't move the needle much.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

the toad rescue sidequests being somewhat mandatory is dumb though lol does this get worse later in the game

Idk, I've seen this complaint elsewhere as well. I actually enjoy doing those so far and have been doing the Hard Mode versions for extra medals.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That guy must have lost a bet or something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

Imp Zoners: Mario and Luigi Paper Jam is a dark soulsian take on the Mario games... Lol! Top kek. Empty quotes appreciated ;)

Paid journalist: Mario and Luigi Paper Jam is a dark soulsian take on the Mario games.

Imp Zoners: ...Wow dude. Pathetic. This industry is going to poo poo.

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Every Mario & Luigi has superior combat to every Paper Mario. There, I said it.

I agree but I still love Paper Mario.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

it's almost like they intentionally made it hard so kids would buy more amiibos. IT"S OKAY WHEN NINTENDO DOES IT lol

I found out theres also an easy mode that gives you all that stuff without an amiibo so at least its not that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat wiggler. That was a cool fight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bumped the power button and lost 2 hours of gameplay.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I always save when Lakitu and the heal block tell me too.

I was literally seconds away from doing so as I just finished clearing all of Brr Mountain and was getting new gear and whatnot in the Toad Village and I adjusting in bed and it immediately closed the software. This fuckig sucks! Now I don't wanna play the game at all

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I can count on one hand the amount of games I have to actually save in anymore , I've definitely lost the habit of manually saving often anymore. Frustrating

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did unlock the move that lets you collect Beans and then they added a Bean collection counter to the %age screen and it was suddenly revealed there's like 300 beans in the game and that was quite a shock.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll just put a video on and plow through this area and again after work or something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only bro attack so far I can't do is the bomb throwing, it screws with my brain

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smash them like crazy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im back up to where I was before. The fast forward button is appreciated in times like these

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm near the end now, but I'm not going to call it done until I unlock the superboss.

Oh hell yeah. What's the criteria for that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Beating every boss in the Boss Battle Ring unlocks a Boss Rush and he's at the end of it.

Very cool, that sounds fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

If it's like the one in Dream Team, it took me a while but I figured it out. Basically you move the circle pad to throw the first bomb, and then you can hit A and the circle pad simultaneously and the timing will work out exactly so you can hit all the bombs.

This works perfectly btw, tyvm. Now I need to figure out the twirligig move, maybe putting the 3d on will help judge the distance to the next paper. Although I don't like as much as the others because of how long te attack is

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

bowsers inside story had uber versions of bosses in the game and the last one was horrific

There's über versions of every boss in this game too, it's what the closed off pipe in Lakitu houses leads to, among other things

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did a hard mode herding mission, I think. The early one where you have to jam them into the fenced in area like actual livestock haha

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

good news gamers, you can combo lk, mp, buttslam and j.hp to ex buttslam with r mika, so there's at least 2 combos, 2 more than the last version of street fighter 5. goty anyone?

Mr. Big is pleased.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Ludwig and Larry fight is awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

bomb derby and whirlgig suck rear end they are like impossible to pull off lol

Pablo Gigante posted:

If it's like the one in Dream Team, it took me a while but I figured it out. Basically you move the circle pad to throw the first bomb, and then you can hit A and the circle pad simultaneously and the timing will work out exactly so you can hit all the bombs.

this makes you Excellent every bomb derby

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My Luigi has more Stache than health

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really like the perk system, its cool that the further you get the more customizability you get with the beans and the level up system. everyone has roles basically now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been pumping BP stuff in paper and gave him the counter bonus but that was probably a mistake since his POW isn't really that high to begin with. Still badass to counter dudes for 100+ damage though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

when do you get +2 copy max?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat I missed that one, I'll have to pick it up on my next rank up.

• Locked thread