Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I don't think so, but if you look at their trello there's currently a bug where the large monsters spawn using code intended for smaller things, spawning them far too near the player which essentially looks like they appear from nowhere. They're supposed to spawn much further away so you actually have time to react rather than die instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah I figured it could be the usual gotcha spawning poo poo, but figured I'd ask. I haven't hosed with warpers much because gently caress those guys.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
It seems not only to be Reapers that spawn in wrong places. I just had this giant Reefback spawn smack in the middle (and above) the shallows, and it pushed my Lifepod around a bit.

EDIT: Oh, and it seems like the shallows has also been invaded by a sudden influx of Biters. Lovely.

Utritum fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 29, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Utritum posted:

It seems not only to be Reapers that spawn in wrong places. I just had this giant Reefback spawn smack in the middle (and above) the shallows, and it pushed my Lifepod around a bit.
I had the same thing happen to me. A Reefback got suck on one of the outcrops near the surface near my lifepod.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
If I understood the trello card properly its all big things. There's a few people reporting reapers in the safe shallows as well.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

juggalo baby coffin posted:

My little lava grub pal fuckin vanished when i loaded the game and also now my game, whenever i load it, slows down super fast and crashes within a minute. i think my save is busted.

As Anne Hathaway and Dan Simmons taught me: love and gravity are the forces that can cross dimensions. Just keep it in mind when you send in your bug report.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Improved Seaglide charge is a great improvement. You can get to the island and back with a single battery, and get started with indoor plantations and multirooms that much quicker.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It really is great, I'm almost sad to put it to pasture now that I've got my seamoth.

I do wish there was some sort of functionality in the PDA that could analyze the calls the various animals give and suggest how dangerous they are and how close they are. When I first started playing I didn't want to leave the shallows for the longest time because the reefback's huge, reverberating call terrified me and I was convinced they were reaper calls and if I strayed outside the shallows I would be devoured instantly.

It could even tie in to wether or not you've actually seen and scanned the creature, going from a very vague "This sounds large and predatory, heres a very rough estimate of how close it is" to "Leviathian class creature detected, heres a more accurate estimate of distance" to "Reaper leviathian, hunting roar, turn around and say hi."

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Carcer posted:

It really is great, I'm almost sad to put it to pasture now that I've got my seamoth.

I do wish there was some sort of functionality in the PDA that could analyze the calls the various animals give and suggest how dangerous they are and how close they are. When I first started playing I didn't want to leave the shallows for the longest time because the reefback's huge, reverberating call terrified me and I was convinced they were reaper calls and if I strayed outside the shallows I would be devoured instantly.

It could even tie in to wether or not you've actually seen and scanned the creature, going from a very vague "This sounds large and predatory, heres a very rough estimate of how close it is" to "Leviathian class creature detected, heres a more accurate estimate of distance" to "Reaper leviathian, hunting roar, turn around and say hi."

I see your point, but it was that sense of exploration and wonder that really immersed me into the game. The first time I saw the reefbacks I shat myself and after carefully swimming up to them I found out they were friendly. Mostly by the fact their calls were not really aggressive. On the other hand I knew when I heard the Reaper for the first time that it was something to be careful of. When I did see it. I had no idea what it was or even what it was called. I just thought of them as the Carnifex motherfuckers (fans of 2nd ed Warhammer 40k know what I mean) It was the time I had the most fun in the game. Exploring and figuring the world out. I am all for making that stuff optional. But I like how the game is generally not too obtuse but throws you into the deep end. You can figure a lot out without needing a wiki.

Edit: The Seaglide is always useful. I keep mine in storage on my Cyclops. Very handy for quick trips when you are in trouble or exploring over the depth limit.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 31, 2017

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
If you're doing Rapid collection, the seamoth is an essential tool. If your combing the seafloor with your prawn, then you can probably leave it at home.

Given how much Silver I need for computer chips, I use it alot.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
If you created a new map with the latest stable build, enjoy both fragments being entirely broken and random lagging-to-freeze. You can get around the former by cheating, and the latter by moving about 30 meters, saving, and restarting the game.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

I see what you're saying, the game really does an excellent job of not holding your hand while exploring the world and inevitably falling into the jaws of something dangerous.

The devs are already considering a system close to what I suggested for the cyclops to detect dangerous animals when its no longer invincible, using a combination of the animals echolating calls and whatever techno-wziardy the PDA uses to scan things to determine if theres something dangerous nearby and how far away it is, drawing inspiration from the Aliens motion tracker or any scene in a submarine movie where they're hunched over a sonar terminal watching a dot get closer and closer as dread fills the air.

This will tie into the how much noise the cyclops is making based on how fast its moving, so you'd either be able to use stealth to avoid enemies or go full speed to outrun them (Though they'd have to make it incredibly quick to outrun a Reaper on the attack.)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Carcer posted:

I see what you're saying, the game really does an excellent job of not holding your hand while exploring the world and inevitably falling into the jaws of something dangerous.

The devs are already considering a system close to what I suggested for the cyclops to detect dangerous animals when its no longer invincible, using a combination of the animals echolating calls and whatever techno-wziardy the PDA uses to scan things to determine if theres something dangerous nearby and how far away it is, drawing inspiration from the Aliens motion tracker or any scene in a submarine movie where they're hunched over a sonar terminal watching a dot get closer and closer as dread fills the air.

This will tie into the how much noise the cyclops is making based on how fast its moving, so you'd either be able to use stealth to avoid enemies or go full speed to outrun them (Though they'd have to make it incredibly quick to outrun a Reaper on the attack.)

Given how you can park your Seamoth in a "safe" location only to come back to it destroyed? I imagine the Cyclops being more vulnerable "But it's okay because you can use sonar to slowly take the long way around and then be forced to use your seaglide the rest of the way" will mostly appeal to people who are incredibly excited by the possibility of the same off screen destruction now happening to their Cyclops.

Even if it did work in a well balanced way, it's still just going to mostly just pad out the drive times. Though that's likely a big reason they are going for this, given how tiny the game map is when allowed to drive in a straight line in peace. More stopping to deal with toggle switches so a reaper or crab squid spawning and then camping your destination don't immediately make a bee like to headbutt you will make the small map take more time to cross, and more time is the same as more content right?

I always figured the "Safe depth" mechanic was nice, as you still have to park your Cyclops a ways up for much of the game from where you actually want to go if you want it to keep it's damage proofing. Nevermind all the places it can't even physically go itself even after the depth upgrades. Your cyclops can't do jack poo poo outside of ferry you around and act as mobile storage and fabrication, you have to still get out of it to do anything relevant.

So really mostly this seems like it will just result in shoving the Cyclops even further into the mobile home corner, rather than add any gameplay "benefits" to traveling anywhere important with it.

"What's that? You want to park your Cyclops by the Auora and make the short shot for entry with your Seaglide? Hah, no. Park it a mile away from where you want to go, or we'll mock you for not being 'careful enough' when something smashes it off screen."

TL;DR: If the only change to game-play made with new mechanics are "Now you need to take longer, and you'll lose everything if you don't". You aren't adding to the gameplay, you're just adding to the time sinks.

The Cyclops is too big for "Sorry, reaper out of nowhere!" or "Sorry, you should have parked farther than 200m away from your destination if you didn't want something to kill it off screen" to be justified as anything but a way to further drag out the game. Compounded by the additional inventory shuffle time as you have to travel farther and farther between offloading your materials when exploring if you don't want your entire submarine full of quartz and uranium sunk for being parked in the same biome.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 31, 2017

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Did they get rid of a big vertically-oriented wreck near a lifepod (I think) somewhat towards the floating island that you would get a message about?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
When they change it so that the cyclops can be damaged they'll need to introduce either passive or active deterrents to stop the large creatures from just smashing the gently caress out of it while you're doing something else, and I think the whole "no weapons allowed" philosophy is going to come to a head when people realize that eternally fleeing from reapers and crabsquids is going to get old really, really quickly.

It could sort of work if they made the different large things react differently to the cyclops. Reapers don't attack it unless you ram them because they think its something more dangerous than they are (The cyclops is larger than a reaper, and the only thing larger than a reaper that they ever interact with are sea dragons which eat reapers.) Crabsquids don't attack the cyclops unless you shine a light at them for a few seconds to tie in to how they act now, and only sea dragons actually react very aggressively it could work.

E: Wrecks are broken as all hell right no. Some of them don't spawn properly, some of them "duplicate" in the same spot so you have to cut through a door multiple times to actually get through it and spawn way too many same-type fragments and some of them don't have any fragments at all.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 31, 2017

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Lifepods are also being changed to have a bunch of recipes around them for you to hunt down, guess they want to extend the amount of time you're around them for.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

Lifepods are also being changed to have a bunch of recipes around them for you to hunt down, guess they want to extend the amount of time you're around them for.
I'm okay with that; I know they're really just sort-of markers for wrecks, but it'd be nice if there was something more to them than some logs and 2/3 of the radsuit.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm okay with that; I know they're really just sort-of markers for wrecks, but it'd be nice if there was something more to them than some logs and 2/3 of the radsuit.

Everyone keeps saying that there's only 2/3 of the suit there, but I have always found the whole thing. Which piece are you not finding?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lager posted:

Everyone keeps saying that there's only 2/3 of the suit there, but I have always found the whole thing. Which piece are you not finding?

I've never found any of the drat pieces :mad: The PDA is always there, but nothing else

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Carcer posted:

If this was implemented exactly the way you are explaining it. I would be 100% onboard. As Section Z put it though, It's the bugs and current fuckery in what I imagine is the engine and geo system that would worry me about them implementing it. The Cyclops is already a whore to steer and navigate. And the movement patterns of the the Reapers is pretty dumb and direct so it's hard to visualise a tense cat and mouse between the tin can and giant oceanic death-cock that we already have. Yeah, you basically have to just park it and hope you are not in the patrol zone of something that can harm it. It sounds great, but the game is not built for it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lager posted:

The gloves. I find one piece of the suit outside the pod, and one piece inside it, but that's it.

I wouldn't mind so much if I could just make the gloves separately.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The rad suit really isn't expensive to make. 2 lead and 2 fibremesh isn't particularly difficult to get hold of.

Lonos Oboe posted:

If this was implemented exactly the way you are explaining it. I would be 100% onboard. As Section Z put it though, It's the bugs and current fuckery in what I imagine is the engine and geo system that would worry me about them implementing it. The Cyclops is already a whore to steer and navigate. And the movement patterns of the the Reapers is pretty dumb and direct so it's hard to visualise a tense cat and mouse between the tin can and giant oceanic death-cock that we already have. Yeah, you basically have to just park it and hope you are not in the patrol zone of something that can harm it. It sounds great, but the game is not built for it.

I agree. Given how fast reapers move for the cyclops to outrun one it would have to go stupidly fast and probably be impossible to control and avoid ramming into everything in your path.

There's always a gulf in what the devs say they want to do and how it actually works out, and even though they do get it right eventually there's always a lot of roughness in between.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Carcer posted:

The rad suit really isn't expensive to make. 2 lead and 2 fibremesh isn't particularly difficult to get hold of.
Oh, I know. It's just always struck me as odd that you didn't get the whole suit at the lifepod. I never knew if I was just missing a piece there or if it was intentional.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, I know. It's just always struck me as odd that you didn't get the whole suit at the lifepod. I never knew if I was just missing a piece there or if it was intentional.

If it's the piece I think, it's sitting flat on top a nearby large black girder. The texture is a 2D fin, so I always miss that piece and have to go back for it (it kind of blends into the texture). Of course, not to say it might not be missing entirely in your game - I've seem some strange behavior in it recently.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
All three pieces are there, but the physical models are three sets of fins, 2 outside and one inside the pod.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The whole suit is there, but because its sitting out in the open it can get lost with fish bumping into it or just clipping into the ground or whatever.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

meatsaw posted:

If it's the piece I think, it's sitting flat on top a nearby large black girder. The texture is a 2D fin, so I always miss that piece and have to go back for it (it kind of blends into the texture). Of course, not to say it might not be missing entirely in your game - I've seem some strange behavior in it recently.

Yeah that fucker was there in my game and took ages, because it's on top of a wrecked bit looking like a wrecked bit.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

A button to pulse interactables would be really useful considering how cluttered the seafloor can get. I always have a miserable time finding anything in the red grassy areas. They could limit it to just pulsing things that have a light on them if they want to keep people grubbing around in the dark areas, just make it easier to figure out if I'm looking at scanable garbage or literal garbage.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't understand why there are three pieces. It's not like you can mix and match for any benefit.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Too Shy Guy posted:

A button to pulse interactables would be really useful considering how cluttered the seafloor can get. I always have a miserable time finding anything in the red grassy areas. They could limit it to just pulsing things that have a light on them if they want to keep people grubbing around in the dark areas, just make it easier to figure out if I'm looking at scanable garbage or literal garbage.

There's no real reason to search the Grassy Plateaus for anything other than wrecks. Once upon a time that was where you went for sandstone to get silver, but without that it's not worth fighting biters just for the occasional limestone or salt, both of which can be obtained more easily elsewhere. A bunch of biomes (Koosh, Underwater Islands, Sea Treader's Path, Jellyshroom Caves) are "visit once for the wreck/abandoned seabase, if at all" as the game is currently structured, and I don't think that's a good thing.

If you don't scan things then the "scannable" icon that pops up is a useful way to identify important items and to distinguish between limestone and sandstone.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

I don't understand why there are three pieces. It's not like you can mix and match for any benefit.

The helmet conflicts with the super-important rebreather, so you have that incentive to stop the radiation leakage. The gloves, and the hand slot in general, have no reason to exist.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Well, the "benefit" is that you can (for example) swap out the anti-rad helmet for the rebreather, taking a little radiation damage in exchange for being able to dive more efficiently.

It's not much of a benefit, but there you go.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Carcer posted:

I agree. Given how fast reapers move for the cyclops to outrun one it would have to go stupidly fast and probably be impossible to control and avoid ramming into everything in your path.

There's always a gulf in what the devs say they want to do and how it actually works out, and even though they do get it right eventually there's always a lot of roughness in between.

Generally the devs have been quite realistic about most of their goals (the multiplayer decision was an important one.) But that sounds like Star Citizen level of ambition. Yeah it's not perfect and when you get the Cyclops. It kills a lot of the tension. But a possible solution and a feature I would much prefer is a Cyclops that if you take damage it starts to leak and take on water and eventually sink. (Which has NEVER happened to me no matter how much I want it to) When the water hits the batteries they short out and all power is gone and you need to fix the boat and replace the power cells with new ones. It would make the player less likely to reload a save because building the thing a second time just merely a time suck rather than the gameplay challenge it was. A sunk and repairable boat opens the door for some exciting gameplay possibilities and a reward when you do pump the water out. It also means that if the game does glitch out and "destroys" your Cyclops, it's less frustrating to fix.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Paracelsus posted:

The helmet conflicts with the super-important rebreather, so you have that incentive to stop the radiation leakage. The gloves, and the hand slot in general, have no reason to exist.

Radsuit gloves are required to handle irradiated things even if you're not in a generally irradiated area.

The suit slot has Stillsuit and Reinforced Suit to compete with the Radsuit.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You also take a proportional amount of rad damage based on how much of the suit you have on, so 2/3rds of the suit is 1/3rds damage, 1/3rds suit is 2/3rds damage

Lonos Oboe posted:

Generally the devs have been quite realistic about most of their goals (the multiplayer decision was an important one.) But that sounds like Star Citizen level of ambition. Yeah it's not perfect and when you get the Cyclops. It kills a lot of the tension. But a possible solution and a feature I would much prefer is a Cyclops that if you take damage it starts to leak and take on water and eventually sink. (Which has NEVER happened to me no matter how much I want it to) When the water hits the batteries they short out and all power is gone and you need to fix the boat and replace the power cells with new ones. It would make the player less likely to reload a save because building the thing a second time just merely a time suck rather than the gameplay challenge it was. A sunk and repairable boat opens the door for some exciting gameplay possibilities and a reward when you do pump the water out. It also means that if the game does glitch out and "destroys" your Cyclops, it's less frustrating to fix.

I've never had it happen to me, but from what I understand this already happens if the cyclops goes (or is forced, reapers ram it downward sometimes) below crush depth.

This actually causes a huge problem because even if you fix the thing its still below crush depth and will immediately sink again, which means if you want to save it you need to build another one, upgrade it with depth upgrades and go install a second appropriate depth upgrade in the one you've already lost. I suppose you could build a PRAWN suit and walk all the way to where ever you lost it but A) that would take forever and B) if the cyclops was forcefully sunk you're likely to run into whatever pushed it down in the first place and lose your prawn.

E: thinking about it you could pack a few emergency floaters in a locker, jump out of the sinking cyclops and affix them to the hull but this is likely to leave you face to face with whatever just hosed up your cyclops with said cyclops rapidly receding into the "sky".

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The only thing keeping me from making a Prawn suit in this save slot is no aerogel, because for the loving life of me I can't find any of those spongy things in the caves you use to make it. I'm not sure if its' a bug and they just didn't spawn or what. Grr.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My CPU is below minimum spec, but I still managed to play the game aside from some fierce lag if I went too fast and loaded too many chunks. Now that I have the Seamoth, the game just crashes outright :( Might be time to call it until I can afford an upgrade.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

My CPU is below minimum spec, but I still managed to play the game aside from some fierce lag if I went too fast and loaded too many chunks. Now that I have the Seamoth, the game just crashes outright :( Might be time to call it until I can afford an upgrade.

Yeah, being allowed to go fast means even more pop-in chunks. So even more pop in chunks isn't any good for that. And Seamoth performance is already drastically improved compared to the past as well, which is saying something.

Carcer posted:

E: thinking about it you could pack a few emergency floaters in a locker, jump out of the sinking cyclops and affix them to the hull but this is likely to leave you face to face with whatever just hosed up your cyclops with said cyclops rapidly receding into the "sky".

Floater based salvage operations is one of those things that is a cool little touch to put to use I'm glad is a thing, even is not something that should be designed around. Of course, unlike you generally being more reasonable with "But it's also a pain in the rear end" admissions. Most people with such mindsets think the existence of floaters at all excuses all sunk cyclops scenarios from any balance consideration :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 1, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Speedball posted:

The only thing keeping me from making a Prawn suit in this save slot is no aerogel, because for the loving life of me I can't find any of those spongy things in the caves you use to make it. I'm not sure if its' a bug and they just didn't spawn or what. Grr.

I've found Gel sacks in a crevice near the rear of the Aurora, and out in the open in the Lost River.

Section Z posted:

Floater based salvage operations is one of those things that is a cool little touch to put to use I'm glad is a thing, even is not something that should be designed around. Of course, unlike you generally being more reasonable with "But it's also a pain in the rear end" admissions. Most people with such mindsets think the existence of floaters at all excuses all sunk cyclops scenarios from any balance consideration :v:

Floaters aren't going to get you out of the lava zones, where a sunk cyclops is most likely to occur.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

There's no real reason to search the Grassy Plateaus for anything other than wrecks. Once upon a time that was where you went for sandstone to get silver, but without that it's not worth fighting biters just for the occasional limestone or salt, both of which can be obtained more easily elsewhere. A bunch of biomes (Koosh, Underwater Islands, Sea Treader's Path, Jellyshroom Caves) are "visit once for the wreck/abandoned seabase, if at all" as the game is currently structured, and I don't think that's a good thing.

If you don't scan things then the "scannable" icon that pops up is a useful way to identify important items and to distinguish between limestone and sandstone.

I always wondered why I could literally find 90% of the resources I need in the Shallows/Kelp/Plains and the other 10% in the grand reef.

I really think spreading out the resource locations to more exclusive areas would pad the game out while actually encouraging danger and exploration. I hear all this poo poo about annoying bonesharks but I literally never deal with them. I still havent really explored the Koosh or Underwater Islands or any of the North/West part of the map because I don't need to.

Speedball posted:

Search the Lost River if you have to. There's also some in a weird trench in that section of shallows which runs up to the south side of the Aurora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Floaters aren't going to get you out of the lava zones, where a sunk cyclops is most likely to occur.

They only need to pull it above crush depth. Whether that is possible in the lava zone, i have no idea.