Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The cyclops changes are annoying. Instead of making it more useful (maybe by having it auto-collect nearby minerals or prospect more from underground, since the thing is supposed to be a deep sea mining vessel), they managed to turn it into a chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I mean gently caress, the game is almost released and we still can't build bases on the backs of Reefbacks. Wish the developers used their god drat imaginations instead of loving up existing features.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

My biggest gripe with the game is that the entire map is hand-crafted, so after a few playthroughs things get rather dull as you learn where everything is and exploration stops being rewarding.

Wish they had made the map randomized with maybe a few named/static biomes such as the Aurora. That way every game would play differently.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Beef posted:

The devs just removed terraforming/voxels from the game, it is hardly fair to accuse them from forcing a feature down your throat because it was hard work.

The only reason they did this was because they couldn't figure out a way to not make it massively increase save game file sizes.

I've been following their Trello for a while now, and based on the conversations they have amongst each other, and the questions they ask about the Unity engine, they aren't exactly the best devs. I mean they still haven't figured out how to fix terrain seams.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bhodi posted:

tbf, our enameled glass is literally made from bone shark teeth

So? Look at how alloys work... Copper and tin are both very weak/soft metals, but combine to form tin bronze, which is much stronger/durable than both. A copper/tin weapon would do almost nothing to a bronze armor.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bhodi posted:

:rolleyes: i'm not having a "this isn't realistic" discussion in a game that has magic fabricators and the ability to carry enough material in your swimsuit to construct a giant sub, again, out of thin air

I'm just saying it makes sense in game logic if you take a material from a creature and make something with it, that creature will have the ability to damage it

I'm not asking for realism in the sense that "it should work like that in real-life". I'm asking for the game to be internally consistent where things make sense within the game's own universe.

The reason you combine stalker teeth with glass is to make enameled glass, which is so strong that it can be used in the crafting of a gigantic deep-ocean exploration vessel. The requirement is that you should be able to see through the material, but it should be strong enough to withstand huge amounts of pressure so that it doesn't cave in when you go below 200 meters. Considering this strength requirement for the material, it is loving stupid for large fish to be able to damage it by ramming into it.

I'm not against larger fauna to be a threat to the Cyclops. Like someone else said, leviathans are both huge and strong, and should probably be aggressive towards something that is close to their size and they might perceive as a rival apex predator. Similarly, it would make sense for creatures that spit lava to cause hull damage, and Ampeels to use their electricity to damage/destroy the vessel's electronic systems (causing internal fires). The current implementation is totally brain-dead, though, and makes things super tedious.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 1, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

"It's the same Cyclops, and if you want it to be invulnerable like before you just have to go a lot slower! It's awesome!!!" -No one

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Last time I tried the prawn suit (when it first came out) the grappling hook was pretty bad. Useful for quickly navigating on horizontal terrain (jump, then aim and fire at the ground ~50 ft away), but frustrating as gently caress and nearly useless for vertical movement such as climbing out of deep caverns.

It would be cool if you could have two of them attached so you could navigate like spiderman, but I don't think the devs are that imaginative.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Carcer posted:

I've said it before, but I'm pretty sure they've done it in part to hide how horizontally small the map is. You can cross the map from one "void" edge to the other in a few minutes using the seamoth (Delays from pop in or bonesharks/reapers not withstanding) and even in the slow cyclops it didn't take particularly long.

one weird trick to make your map bigger

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ambaire posted:

One game I play a lot is Factorio and I love seeing how much the devs and the players care about the game and it keeps getting better with every update. Then I go check out the Subnautica thread after not reading it for months and I just get loving depressed.

Yeah, I follow the development progress in the hopes that they will release some novel content or game mechanics that will entice me to start a new playthrough. As things stand, the game has very little replayability.

• The map is static rather than randomized, so after the first playthrough you learn where everything is and the sense of exploration goes away.
  • There is no character development so you can't say "next time I'm going to build my character as an Explorer/Builder/Scientist/etc."
  • The "plot" is linear as well so you can't say "next time I'm going to kill those bastards instead of forming an alliance with them"

Don't get me wrong, it's a really fun game the first one or two times. Then it gets stale, because the core mechanics are too repetitive and tedious (inventory management, the constant need to eat/drink, etc.) and there is no variability to anything.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I havn;t played this yet, was thinking of getting it, but the last page of this threads makes me feel like this is a bad game?

I think it's definitely worth $20, but the price is going to go up with release so if you are interested you should get it now.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I really like hand-crafted worlds and rarely replay games more than once or twice, so the static setting doesn't bug me at all really.

Hand-crafted worlds are fine if they are large enough. Witcher 3 is a great example: multiple huge zones, each with numerous areas and countless nooks and crannies means spending tens of hours of gameplay just to explore. Granted that is a $50 game, but it's an example of how to do hand-crafted worlds correctly.

On the other hand, if the development team is small and the budget is small, the logical thing to do is to create lots of presets and develop a method of randomization that will stitch them together during world generation at the beginning. There are many games that do a superb job with this as well. I feel like Subnautica's team bit off more than they can chew, as evidenced by the fact that the game has been in Early Access for two and a half years.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ambaire posted:

e. There is a significant amount of pop-in and occasional graphics lag, however.

Yeah, this drives me bonkers. I know that most games have pop-in, but in this game it is way more noticeable for some reason (probably because view distance is a lot shorter due to being underwater) and a huge distraction.

I also have an issue where water clips through the floor of the escape pod at the beginning. Ruins the whole intro sequence as you realize the escape pod is actually in the water the whole time, and all the various sound and visual effects are fake (i.e. you aren't actually dropping from orbit).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dongattack posted:

gently caress.

THE OCEAN.

I am loving petrified of deep ocean or ocean where i can't see the bottom, but interestingly enough after some major starting hurdles Subnautica really helped me control that fear much better.

imagine how awesome it would be if after going off the edge of the map, your PDA goes "warning! titanic lifeform approaching" and then you get swallowed by a huge maw that reaches out from the depths

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

dont worry, it's just a fun thought exercise. the developers aren't that imaginative.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I want to be able to build mini-bases on reefbacks! :argh:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So what's the deal with stalkers following me all the way to my life pod, and remaining in the area?

I haven't played in over a year, and I remember this happening before, but I now have five stalkers swimming in circles around my life pod and I can't figure out why.

edit: there are 10 of them now

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 26, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Section Z posted:

Also if you don't kill predators, apparently creatures are still wired to swim towards the Zerox3 Coordinates as a pathfinding shortcut when they 'run away'? Which is generally in the middle of the safe shallows.

No, they specifically follow me, even when I swim around in big circles. Like I have something they want.

I don't have any metal wreckage in my inventory.

Here are 5 of them following me around:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Managing inventory is still incredibly annoying after a year and a half.

Have they added a way to increase inventory size?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Did they change the way cyclops is charged? Back in beta you could build power cell chargers inside the cyclops and charge cyclops's own power cells using it, because science.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Is there a mod that lets you build bases on reefbacks? Because that seems like a tremendous missed opportunity in terms of "insanely cool things you wish you could do"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Xaris posted:

I installed this yesterday and could never look back. Highly recommend

The most important features imo are 8x8 inventory and added quick slots 6-8

Seriously why the gently caress do I need to play inventory manager and keep switching between repair tool or laser or propulsion or whatever? It’s so loving stupid and there’s no reason it should have been 1-5 to begin with. Also the bigger inventory feels just about right. Not quite too much and I still have to manage inventory a lot, but not so much I’m frustrated every 5 minutiae

I haven’t noticed the other vehicle changes other than fast Seamoth because I’m still in a derpy seamoth but it’s loving life changing at my point in the gam

Also super easy to install https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/11

this is pretty great

the only thing i dont like is the +50% forward speed to seamoth - should be more like +25% imo. but it's not a big deal.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I played for about 8 hours, got stuck trying to find magnetite and gave up. It seems they made it a lot harder to find. Back in beta it was all over the mountain island caves, but now it seems the place contains just diamond and gold. I also went around a few other biomes that the wiki lists as magnetite locations (jellyshroom caves, bulb zone, etc.) but didn't find a single node.

It doesn't help that they added several super annoying mobs to the game, like the ones that teleport you out of seamoth and hit you for a billion damage. Meh. Not sure what the point is when you can't fight back and kill stuff. Trying to avoid things becomes waaay too tedious as the game goes on.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Honestly the thing that has bothered me the most about Subnautica is the pre-crafted game world. While it allows for a higher level of detail and gives a "wow!" feeling to certain areas (since they are, well, hand-crafted), it also greatly harms replayability. I never finished the original game, and despite not having played in almost two years, I can't bring myself to play it again because I still remember where everything is, and lacking that joy of exploring new, unknown places makes me lose motivation to play.

This is probably why I'll stay away from BZ early access, which is a shame because I'd love to support these devs.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I built a castle in minecraft once. Logged back in the next day, and someone had poured lava all over it.

That's my exciting minecraft story.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

My Mountain Cave Base:

My base right at the edge of the Grand Reef:

One of the things I hope they add to BZ is actual gameplay reasons for building bases beyond "need a place to store my stuff and recharge batteries."

For example it would be excellent if you could build underwater mining facilities that dug into the crust and mined minerals, and each zone had specific minerals that could be mined in it. That would then become a way of passive resource farming, at the cost of upkeep of such facilities.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Soho Joe posted:

Does anyone have footage of the New Reaper Leviathan.

I need to find this thing and learn how to run laps around it.

Don't worry, it will find you. ;)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I also am not a big fan of this studio. I played the original game during most of its EA, and it had some truly :wtc: bugs that really made me question their talent and professionalism. And I say that as someone who develops software for a living.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i personally don't buy any games that don't have "very positive" or "overwhelmingly positive" reviews, because they almost always turn out to be trash

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Koramei posted:

man I've been having a loving blast with this game for the past few weeks but of course this, like all games threads, is unrelentingly negative. Maybe I just have really bad luck picking titles but it'd be nice to play a game that isn't apparently made by the world's very worst developers imaginable for once.

Anyway I built it in the shallows because I'm a massive coward but check out my base:

Coming into it from Minecraft and stuff I was kinda unconvinced about it at first because of the inflexibility, but base building in this is ridiculously satisfying. I've gone wiki trawling over the past few days and spoiled for myself that I've seen everything so this has faded a bit now, but for the longest time getting back home to it after fleeing away from something while terrified was such an amazing feeling, and the sturdy bulkheads and stuff really made it feel like a little fortress in this big hostile world. I never knew what might be coming or when I might be in danger. I don't think I've ever had an experience quite the same in any other game.

Obviously the exploration has also been phenomenal but I don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said a thousand times there. My only complaint, other than the atrocious oversight of fish swimming through my base, obviously, is that after a while I really stopped feeling threatened. The reapers still scare me a bit, but aside from them, the fauna doesn't even really feel hostile anymore. On my first few nights even the gas dudes and reefbacks wigged me out, but I eventually realized that even the giant octopus things and cave eels are just going about their business and one whack with a knife will get them to leave you alone. I guess maybe that's the point; they're just animals after all, not malevolent entities, and nature isn't intrinsically out to get me etc etc. But it has done a lot to erode the terror of descending deeper.

Probably most people in this thread have been playing since the early days of Early Access. To someone picking up the game now, I’m sure it’s amazing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think the most annoying bug I ran into was the stalkers refusing to drop aggro and following me across half the map, and circling around my crashed pod. I took a screenshot at one point where I had four stalkers circling it, and I had to abandon that game and start over.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Then you've got medkits, lube, and rubber.

All the essentials for my sex dungeon!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Have they made it easier to farm stalker teeth?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

jeeves posted:

They haven't really changed engines or anything so it probably won't be fixed.

That's too bad. Pop-in sort of ruined the first game for me; I found it totally immersion-breaking.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I don't remember if they ever changed this in EA, but do the flora and fauna respawn over time? Or do you run out of it after a while and need to move on to another area?

It used to be the latter, but I also remember there being lots of complaints about it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The new development progress board they migrated to from Trello is a complete clusterfuck.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'd wait at least until June or July. They should have several content patches released by then.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'd personally love to see currents.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Microcline posted:

One of the other problems with the endgame is that it takes place entirely in caves.

Much of the game's tension comes from the fact that a player swimming in the open ocean feels exposed on every angle except ahead. You'll frequently feel more comfortable in a shallow dip or next to a wall/seafloor because it means nothing can sneak up on you. Caves don't have this.

In the early and midgame, caves and wrecks are tense because they're dark and twisting and you need to make it in and remember the way out before you run out of oxygen. The endgame might be all cave, but you navigate it almost entirely in your infinite oxygen vehicles. There is usually one leviathan and you can pretty much always see it, and a potential leviathan is much more threatening than a real one. The lava zones are also pretty uninspired (lost river is cool though even if the game undermines it).

Early game caves are terrifying because they have those fish that chase you when aggroed and then explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

New update out for BZ.