Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Today I had an odd experience where the marker for the escape pod was not actually on the escape pod. It seemed to have glitched into one static position that eventually led me around the Aurora and off the edge of the map, where I had a close encounter of the unexpected kind with a leviathan. :cripes:

Is, uh, is there a way to kill the leviathans, or at least scare them away? That's the second time I've had one uncomfortably close (I was looking for cyclops bridge fragments with one swimming about fifty meters overhead). They swim very quietly for something of their size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Cojawfee posted:

Is your escape pod still near the aurora? Some people have had issues where the escape pod drifts off the map. If you weld the sparking box, it gets fixed and has a gravity anchor.

As it turns out, this is exactly what happened. Good thing I didn't have anything valuable stored in it, I guess :shobon: I dropped a beacon where it used to be, so I can use it as a waypoint and not stray off into Scary Hell Territory again.

Xanderkish posted:

Get yourself a big-rear end submarine and laugh as they treat you like a curiously mobile piece of furniture, and then never venture out of the sub near them again. Scan different biomes for the Cyclops parts, avoiding wide-open areas with not a lot of features but a lot of empty space, as they tend to gravitate around there.

They also appear every now and then in the Mushroom forest, which is great for getting your heartrate up. Your strategy then is to swim far away from them while crying.

Bitchin'. I have thoroughly mastered the 'run away while crying' strategy, so as soon as I get another plasteel ingot and enameled glass (it's very silly that you can't just kill stalkers for their teeth) I'm going to get that cyclops up and running and then go find a leviathan to shove around.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Unkempt posted:

Well I just built my first base and was killed by gasopods farting straight through the walls so that's great.

Back when the game first came out I started and was almost immediately killed by a gasopod through the walls of the escape pod. I feel like they probably have a higher players killed rate than leviathans.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I wonder if I could figure out a way to build some kind of skyscraper type setup that rose above the water. One tower should be pretty easy but I gotta figure out how to make more and then connect all the stuff without plummeting a thousand miles into the surf.

Reztes posted:

My biggest newbie regret was basically forgetting about this-

I wish there was a Dark Souls edit of this.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Too Shy Guy posted:

Is that really why we're not getting some absurdly huge maw rising out of the darkness to swallow and kill you? Possibly implying that the entire play area sits on the back of some unfathomably enormous organism that preys on the creatures that stray from it?

'Cause uhhh that would be my vote. I'm giving myself shivers just thinking about it.

Giant anglerfish, imo. Just a single glowing light bobbing in the abyss, and then teeth and you're waking up in the escape pod.