Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

As someone that had to turn on cheat codes in order to zip through the tombraider 2 water level (on like a 22'' 1990's tv screen) I think i spent about 8 hours before even leaving the safe shallows.

Stalkers freaked the hell out of me, though now i dont even consider them aggressive.

My first OHHH poo poo moment came from the radio message about the life pod that landed mid stern. Floating device activated but a big fish in the water.

I thought it landed on the other side of the Aurora. So i just casually swam my way around the back of the ship. Water is all murky and brown so i cant really see anything, so i pop my head up every now and then to make sure im still going the right way.
All of a sudden i see the tail of something passing infront of me. 'Thats just a stalker' i though. But it just kept on going, like this would have to be the biggest stalker.

I stop and instinctively back up a bit just as the head finally starts coming towards me and reaper leviathan name appears.

Wife told my to stop swearing as the neighbours can hear it.

I swam backwards all the way to my life pod where i finally paid my last respects to whoever was in pod i was going to.

My next one was a bit later. I had taken the Cyclops over to the dunes where a wreck was so i could get a part of the drill arm. Im running on slow with F1 open counting down to where i think i am close enough to search while being far enough away from the leviathan. I shut everything down and triple check all the cameras making sure everything. I head down the ladder and exit the cyclops and before i even start to make my way to the wreck i see a leviathan in the distance. So i got back in the boat. ><

As for time capsules, i think ive found about 4 or 5. I now have double of most basic equipment, though someone put 2 cuddle fish eggs in. I need to get my alien containment and see what these things are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

What are my options for gel sacks?

Is there a way for me to grow them so i dont have to go looking for them?

I have just unlocked my 500m seamoth upgrade, and have the rubies for the next level, but i still hate searchign for stuff that isnt in the safe shallows/mushroom forest.

I even built a base in the jellyshroom cave that i will probably never use because my prawn suit is over at the mushroom forest (unless i build another one and a moonpool............ but then i need a cyclops to get my mats............ fu.... can i get acyclops into the caves?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Asciana posted:

Just use your knife on a gel sack for some seeds and plant them in an exterior grow bed back at your base.

Away all Goats posted:

Plant a gel sack in a growbed, knife gel sack for seeds, plant those seeds.

As long as you remember to not use your last gel sack in a recipe, you pretty much have an infinite supply of them.

Cool i thought so. Ive got one planted now, ill knife it tomorrow.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok i need help.

I just went to 500m to a life pod, took out the crabthing (it attacked my seamoth that was parked at 498m and pushed to below 500m, i was lucky it didnt explode.) I've finished the degassi base in the jellyshroom caves.

The problem

I get back into my base and unload some stuff. I'm picking lantern fruit. I hear what sounds like a stalker outside and now my base is flooded.

I can't find anything to repair, power is still fine. Just the centre of my base is in water now...

Am i going to have to pick up everything (and probably make a few lockers) deconstruct that 1 piece and rebuild? ><

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I ended up deconstructing that part. Then when i went up a level i found 2 breaches in the compartment. That weren't there when i was swimming through my base looking.

At least my bulkheads worked (even when they weren't closed. LOL)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

The only "mysterious" base event I've ever had was one I later found to be caused by going to -2.5 hull strength or something and the game not realizing it 'til i was a few parts in :v:

My base is still at a cozy +27, so it wasnt that. (well my very first base was. I make a huge snake and ran down 2 batteries trying to plug up holes. Then i realised the top left shows me base strength when i built/remove.)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Any tips for getting the power cell recharger. I am sure i have searched all the normal places and i have 1 frag scanned.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I think there's one that just always appears near the Degasi jellyshroom base. Not sure but I've found one cell charger fragment there (AND NONE ANYWHERE ELSE) in the last three playthroughs I've done.

yep, that's the one i have :/

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Double checked what i think is every place the power cell charger should be and no luck.

wiki has sparse reef, then sparse reef, mushroom forest and underwater islands wrecks.

I have the nuclear reactor before i get the friggen power cell recharger.

Then what is the best way of going into and through the lost river?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I started to build a base top north east where there is meant to be an entrance to LR. Build my base and started my stripper pole tot he sky. Came back after taking son swimming and now there is a reaper swimming on top of that base ><.

I assume that LC isnt over 900m right? so cyclop and pranw suit with lvl 1 depth (0 for the prawn) will be doable. What do i need to take so i dont have to backtrack?

And as for time capsules. One recently gave me 2 ion batteries, 1 nickle and 1 kyannite. Batteries super useful, the materials, not so much as you need more than 1.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Prawn suit 1 depth module is fabricated in the attachment added to a moonpool.....? or can it be made in the cyclops?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

ok, so bring mats to make moonpool and upgrade maker, plus bioreactor to power it.

And i just had my first "Cyclops is no longer solid" moment. Was going over the resource list, working out what else i needed when i fell into the water, only the water also wasnt there, so i fell a fair bit further.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

My 350m long vertical base joiner so that i could build solar panels to power my lost river preparation base took a lot of titanium. :colbert:

That i had to build 2 of them because a reaper decided to swim directly above my first one made it even more expensive.

I am half tempted to save my game , get the prawn suit and just see what i can do.

As for the octopus things. They are KOS, stasis rifle, thermal knife.

I need to get cured though. Warpers still scare the crap out me me :/

I havent logged back in since falling through the cyclops. I will a bit later and head down into the lost river. (You take the prawn rather than the seamoth right? which means i will have to either ferry my prawn from a land far away, or walk it across the ocean.)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok.

Moved my cyclops back abit as i kept falling out of it.
Then i fell out of it and landed on top of it, repeatedly, until i died.

It then spawned me directly underneath a reaper........................

wtf

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im pretty sure the more items you build, the less stable the game gets.

I removed most fo my 350m pole and replaced it with power transmitters and the cyclops seems to be ok now.

Also, the prawn is really good. 25% damage from a reaper with no mods and you can punch it in the face. With 1 arm for punching, how many passes would it take to kill a reaper?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I was playing in early access but I stopped when the Cyclops was made unusable and couldn't progress. I assume you don't actually need the it anymore as you can make the Seamoth go to 900 meters with its Mk3 depth mod. I've gotten as far as building a base and explored everything I can get in the Aurora. It's just finding stuff like the battery and power cell chargers and setting up a food and water supply at my base. Also setting up a bio reactor and nuclear reactor.

Something I noticed is they changed the location of where materials spawn in some cases. I remember the Island with the gun on it you could find diamonds and lead, but now they aren't there.

Seamoth goes to 900m Prawn goes to 900 straight up. But to get the stuff to make the prawn go deeper you either take the floating base, or backtrack.

End game is 1400m or so.

And i still havent gone into the lost river myself.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

so take titanium, quartz and enough stuff to build a thermal reactor and you can scrounge the rest?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

Finally finished this after about 35 hours. Really satisfying overall. Impressed by the density of story with how sparse it is.

One main criticism is that the cyclops is annoyingly slow. Most of the game doesn’t feel like a grid. Yeah, you need mats but remembering good places to look etc is pretty fun. And really you never need a ton of anything except titanium. There never feels like a scarcity of resources past the beginning of the game. As you become master of your domain the poo poo you need is basically just a matter of how hard you want to go for it. That being said, hoooooooly gently caress driving the cyclops anywhere takes for god drat ever. I was incredibly pissed off that one of the warp
gates out of the final base was only a couple hundred meters from my base. But I still had to go back and tug my dumb cyclops back out past the juvenile ghost who consistently hosed me up in the green river area. No other leviathan was really hard to deal with but that forest of tree things can eat my rear end in a top hat.

Hell yeah. I had a few hole to patch when i was in the green river from that. So once i got established i took the prawn and got to punching. He went further down after a few. If i kill it will it respawn?

And yeah cyclops being a monster magnet..... remember my story of building a partial base that then spawned a reaper above it. Well i parked the cyclops by the 2nd base. When it was time to descend i turn on the engines and. "Warning, creature attack"

Also at the begining of the game travelling in the seamoth you avoid all the little fish. You know your near end game when anywhere your going in that thing is just. Thud...... Thud...... Thud....

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

It kind of spoils the game though. I loaded mine up with the high end food and water.

yeah, being able to access more areas sooner spoils the game.

Best time capsule i've got so far has been the one with ion batteries. Worst are the ones with equipment you get around your base.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I cleared out the Aurora and fixed the engine, just by the time I had the Cyclops I didn't have a Prawn yet, and I felt like exploring with the Cyclops and suddenly I'm at the Containment Facility :shrug:

Took me weeks of loving around in the shallows but once I got going I guess I really blazed through it!

There are 4? prawn suits in the prawn suit bay. You cant leave the aurora without the prawn suit if you looked everwhere.

The prawn is magical. Reaper attacking your boat? get out and punch it.

Smaller, just as aggressive fish annoying you while you farm on top of your underwater base? get the prawn suit and punch them.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I bought this game like two loving years ago when I first saw it. I knew I would love it, but I was (and still am) tired of EA games so I never played it. I said to myself "when this comes out I'll have such a nice, wonderful experience with it."

And I did at first but that magic fades away fast when your Prawn starts falling through the floor and traps you in the void. I'm willing to forgive the occasional jank but this game has hosed me over so many times now. The fact that they think its acceptable to have a permadeath mode in a game where a plot critical area can just RANDOMLY KILL YOU makes me wonder wtf the devs are thinking.

Guess what bug i just had. After 43 minutes of prawning around the inactive lava zone looking for the thermal plant. Had inventory full of kynite. Sea dragon isnt scarey :/. Well, untill he clipped through a wall. Then my prawn suit just fell into the void.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So? how is that abandoned?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Just finished it.

I got stuck finding the Alien thermal plant.

As in i circled the mound for about 4 hours. It wasnt until i watched some crappy 30 minute youtube that i found the entrance.

Then i was in the big pit 5, maybe 6 times before i realised there was a small crevase that let me go deeper.

Prawn suit is definetly good. I was going to make a 2nd cyclops (because my first was near the big tree) but the prawn suit with mk2 thrusters and grapple is about as fast as the seamoth, and can punch. Getting the thermal upgrades was probably the most useful thing though.

Was at the disease research, never self scanned, so the warpers werent too much of a problem on my way down.

Story is good enough.

No ingame map should a punishable crime these days.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

I loved the poo poo out of the game up until the lava area. My savegame right at the start of the lava area got ruined by something; not sure what, but it sounds like a crash issue other people have reported with power transmitters. I started a new game and was able to rush back there in a fraction of the time, and then found out that there was only like half an hour of gameplay left and all my effort spent preparing and stocking up was a waste.

There isn't very much left aside from lore to find once you get to the Lost River and beyond. Every resource and all blueprints are found earlier except for like crystalline sulfur, nickel, kyanite, and blueprints for ion batteries and ion cells. I feel like there needs to be another couple of biomes before the final alien facility containing several more alien facilities with more resources and alien blueprints to find, with the final facility needing an extra level of depth upgrade to reach.

That would at least let you get some use out of the ion batteries and ion cells instead of giving them to you right at the end of the game. I'm sure there are a lot of cool things that you could do with alien tech and alien resources, too. Anything to make the endgame feel less barren.

But the first 90% of the game is fantastic at least.

Yes to all of that.

I had numerous 'forward' bases that in retrospect were a waste of time.

I still never found

1 light stick fragment (i found 1 but not the other)
1 Power cell recharge fragment (even after cheating in the blueprint)

And i think you need to go to the degassi base in the lost river to get the cyclops shield data dont you?

My son watches youtube of it. there is one guy with weeks logged in, massive bases, endgame unlocked. Still doesnt have the cutter. LOL
There needs to be set places to get stuff.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What would be the best map of the Lost River? Because I'm trying to find the disease facility and it's a bitch to navigate.

Also how much of the main story requires crossing path with reapers outside of the juveniles?

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Mapping_Subnautica

has them all, i used them fairly successfully

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/3/30/MAP_Lost_River.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180220143135

its the green thing in the middle of the map, you can not miss it.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Minenfeld! posted:

Does anyone else find it strange that you can take a Seamoth down to its crush depth, but then get out and swim yourself deeper? I tried taking it in the jellyshroom caves for one of the Degasi bases, hit its crush depth and went "Welp, time to get out and swim deeper."

Nope, but be careful parking at at max depth.

Ive had a crab come up and push it below. Managed to get back in and get it to safety with about 5% health.

No way i wanted to be that far down with no way to get back up.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

i died when the sea dragon glitched through a rock. I punched his head with my prawn suit, he flung me 2k into the void underneath the map.

The prawn suit took a fairly long time to be destoryed be that too.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

You can sort of in the prawn suit with the grapple.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

My life pod had about 8 floating lockers, until i figured out that even an hobo tube is a billion times superiour.

And i often swam by my floating pump with a long long trail of pipe leding about halfway down a short drop in the kelp forest. *At the time it was the only thing that gave me the confidence to head down near the bottom.

I would swim past it with my ulta tank that still had over a minute of air and think it cute.

Oh and night time discussion.
They really need to do something with that. At first i am sure i read that night time things became more aggressive. I think i spent the first 3 hours refusing to leave the lifepod or its top when night fell because i was scared.

Even after getting the seamoth i had the belief that even in the mushroom forest and stuff, that reapers would head in there at night. Which meant for a good 10 hours of playtime where i always made it home before dark.

Then i realised that night time just made things a different sort of pretty :/

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Drake_263 posted:

I was watching somebody play Subnautica on the youtube and I need to test something.. is it me or does the VR version of the game lack some of the polish you normally have? Like, when I started the game my lifepod wasn't actually on fire, I didn't get the little animation where my character gets hit on the head by that piece of debris, and I'm missing a lot of the neat little flourish animations like when you climb out of the pod the first time and shoo a local seagull equivalent off the pod. Actually animating you opening and closing doors, stuff like that - my run through in VR never had those.

Sidenote, watching a complete newbie learn through the game is equal parts adorable and aggravating.

"Hey so I went to this lifepod and found a seamoth piece, I guess I can turn that beacon off now"
"I'm going to run right past this desk with the PDA on it in plain loving sight 6 times without picking it up"
"I guess I'm not going to find another exit to this purple cave, this sucks guys" *humps the walls and never ever looks up*

Streamer in question seems like a wonderful guy but come the gently caress on, take a breath every once in a while and actually look around.

This isnt the guy that does the amazing frog videos is it (or another guy that does the... Beautiful OB, thats him)? My son watches a fair bit of them and its the same thing. They are so busy talking about what they are doing or going to do that they miss things straight up in front of them.

My fav is the thinknoodles guy.... i think. Who has massive well laid out glass base that dwarves anything i came close to building, and then he opens up his crafting screen and doesnt have the cutting tool or some other random item that he probably should have found.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Section Z posted:

Want some fun facts about the Disease Research Facility? A: Zero help or requirement to beat the game except another 'Go Deeper, I guess' text B: Triggers the advanced stage of infection, setting warper aggro to Max.

So don't feel too bad :v: It's the Lava castle being driven past dozens of times because they removed it's beacon that's the bigger concern.

My understanding of that is that it only triggers after you self scan yourself.

I went in, never self scanned and had no additional trouble from warpers. Then once i had the cure i self scanned.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

imagine trolling in multiplayer.

Building long lines of tubes to people bases, crushing them as the intergity drops.

Prawn suit rumbles in the leviathan pits...

Make it like dark souls multiplayer lol.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Would it be possible to make a procedurally generated map?

The only thing stopping my from a 2nd play through is i know the leviathins arent scary once you get a prawn suit.

The prawn suit is easy to get.

As soon as you need to go into the deeper areas you've already finished the game really :/

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

game was super awesome until the lava stuff.

The it was more of a slog to just finish it.

Im going to get the vr system at some point. You bet ill be loading this up again to try that out.

I have a fear of water, its going to be fun.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

Oh, just climb atop your lifeboat and never dive. The game turns into a philosophical essay about the folly of technological progress.

thats like the first few hours of the normal game for me. As soon as night time came around i sat and watched the stars.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Quick question: I found the mountain wreck under the alien base, the one with the cyclops thermal plant fragment, and beyond the door you have to cut into, I've run into a hallway I just bounce off of and can't get past, either on my own or with the Seaglide. Has anyone else had that problem? It seems from other YouTube videos that I should be able to get through, but this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDg7tXaxcu4

you've saved and gone back? to see if the wall has disappeared?

That's pretty weird.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

i was going to say star citizen but i couldnt keep a straight face

LOOOOOOL

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Prawn suit is 100% boss.

You'll eventually go out hunting the very things that caused you to warm the waters.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

The skull down there is a good place to set up a base. Thermal vents and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Laser cutter fragments all scattered behind laser cutter doors.

This.

This is how my game was.