Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You'd have to gently caress up pretty enormously to do it, but it could be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Air Bladder was really handy for saving energy on ascent before they unfucked the battery capacity on the seaglide.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mehrunes posted:

Well if you're going to start pulling "development expertise" out of your rear end then this discussion is over.

Because surely there is no precedent for complications arising from attempts to add on entirely new gameplay mechanics at the end of development in systems that were never designed with them in mind. There is definitely no way this could be problematic.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Sandsharks and poo poo rambo'ing at the Cyclops bother me from a perspective from immersion because a) predators don't generally start poo poo with things way bigger than them and b) why the gently caress do they even care about a metal thing they can't eat? It'd be one thing if they were trying to drive you away from their nests or something but they're supposed to be animals, not aliens from Serious Sam.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I think in general stealth gameplay is something you're meant to design a game around from the very beginning rather than something you add on a whim 90% through development.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Eifert Posting posted:

In actual scuba diving the way players behave in this game would literally kill you stone dead, and not pleasantly.

There is no such thing as decompression / I can hop directly out of a submarine at 1000 meters below.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Bhodi posted:

I simply maintain you are wearing a magic future spacesuit which keeps internal pressure perpetually at 1atm complete with it's own air regulator which connects to the O2 tank. It's powered by hopes and dreams.

In fairness, given that the usual solutions to real-life diving problems are "go slower" and "wait longer before diving again", trying to model these things with anything approaching realism would probably be terrible for gameplay. You probably could make a good game that presented diving more realistically, but it would have to be something designed from the ground up to incorporate the mechanics in a way that wasn't unbearable (and it would probably involve magical decompression chambers).

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 26, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I found an amazing bug. If you stand on top of the physics-enabled rocks on the islands and then pick them up with the Propulsion Cannon, you can launch yourself into the stratosphere. I was trying to see if I could land on top of the facility somehow, but it's not that easy to control - so far my best lob has been throwing myself so far out to sea that the island faded back into the fog.

It looks like the cause of this is that the rocks are arranged so that they are partially submerged into the ground. When you use the Propulsion Cannon on them, the games physics sees them intersecting with the ground and spazzes out a little to correct it. The smaller rocks will often just fall through the ground entirely (you can even drag them back through to the surface as long as you don't let go!), while the larger ones send you flying. It only works once per rock - once they've corrected their relationship with the earth, they're just a normal physics object.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Apparently the Aleterra's fabricators no longer include the plans for anti-fog gel.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I think the root cause of much of the frustration about the game is that while it isn't at all bad, it has noticeable flaws that haven't been meaningfully addressed in the past year of development time...but probably mostly that it's a 30-hour game with limited replay value that people have functionally 'released' for a very long time.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

QuantaStarFire posted:

Did anyone else just rip the cameras off of their scanner rooms and throw them away? Because Stalkers keep coming around and stealing them, and it's super annoying.

I just turned off the pings and let them go, though that's probably a better idea in the long run.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Just had my second death in Subnautica after ~20 hours of playtime - I got Warper'out of my Seamoth and died instantly. Hard to guess what kind of bug it was, since level geometry doesn't seem to kill you (I already clipped through a ceiling exploring the aurora and had to spend ten minutes exploring the upside-down until I found another hole to fall through back into the world).

Glad I'd never play the game on Ironman, but still RIP 30 minutes of progress.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 6, 2018

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The Pathfinder Tool owns by the way. Aside from saving yourself from panic deaths when you're exploring caves and wrecks, the nodes emit enough light to illuminate the kind of small spaces you'll be crawling through. Since you can also move around and use other tools without losing light, it makes for a better light source than the lightstick or the flashlight, and it's absolutely worth it at a single inventory slot. This sorta leads me to one of my quibbles about the game -- a lot of nifty-but-situational dive tools are 2 x 2, which means I end up leaving them in a locker unless I'm doing something where I know they'll be necessary (using the Grav trap to fish sulphur out of the Lost River before I got a prawn was great, but I don't think I've used it since then). It's sad that they spent effort making these legitimately fun physics toys and then they end up getting sacrificed on the altar of inventory space.

Another thing I've gotta say is that the Cyclops hate is very misplaced. Sure, maneuvering it into tight spaces is a bit of an ordeal and you want to be careful about leviathans, but you've got basically everything you need for a mobile headquarters, you don't actually take damage from scraping off walls, and you have plenty of tools to deal with hostile wildlife. The only thing it really needs to be great is the thermal reactor upgrade to get it energy independent.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

endlessmonotony posted:

The pre-them-loving-about Cyclops was the same as it was, except also invulnerable and faster above 200 meters, and could get in solar energy.

I will admit that I did not play the game far enough to make a Cyclops before release, so I don't have the old invulnerable Cyclops to use as a basis for comparison. However, I've seen advice here to the effect of "don't bother building it" and I can definitely say that I preferred having a Cyclops to not having one. It essentially lets you lug your livelihood to whatever part of the game you happen to be focusing on.

I think in my entire playthrough I only ended up moving the Cyclops enough to make a single circuit through the relevant areas (assembled near the lifepod, took it down through the Lost River and into the endgame areas, and then back up to the surface to build the launchpad) and it spent the vast majority of its life parked next to a thermal vent, but it was much more convenient than having to make multiple outposts along that path or constantly backtrack to a main base to stuff my face with more melons. Obviously you aren't going to use the Cyclops to make a daytrip somewhere to snag some materials - that'd be like taking an RV to the corner store, and that's why it comes with a charging station for your commuter of choice (thought it would be nice if you didn't have to pick).

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I just shoot poo poo with the Stasis Rifle and then knife it a few times. With the thermoblade this kills basically anything smaller than a Leviathan and is enough to make the latter gently caress off.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Section Z posted:

EDIT: Unrelated, my closest call last night was forgetting how bullshit the cyclops energy economy is without thermals and ions. "I'll just pop my timecapsule ion batteries into the single charger and off we go. I'll have the thermal reactor soon enough-Why are multiple power cells drained already... Oh, right." Everything is all topped up again, but figures it happens the one time I didn't obsessively craft 12+ spare power cells.

Zed, this isn't a problem with the game - you just hosed up. A couple of Ion Batteries have more capacity than an entire conventional Cyclops, so no poo poo they're going to suck it dry if the Cyclops isn't being powered by something. What else do you want to happen here?

This is like plugging a some mysterious alien device into your car charger and being mad when it won't start in the morning.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Section Z posted:

Charging a handheld battery risking a blackout of a giant submarine is the sort of thing that feels silly to have to remember in the first place, though :v: It's not like I was plugging in power cells.

You know you can mouseover batteries and power cells to see how much juice they can store, right? A normal battery holds 100 energy, a power cell is double that, and Ion tech has five times the equivalent capacity (which means plugging Ion anything into an ordinary cyclops is probably gonna end real badly).

Also 'handheld battery' is a pretty disingenuous way to refer to an incomprehensible technical marvel copied from the databanks of a wondrously advanced precursor civilization.

EDIT: I mean honestly it is a pretty simple mistake (I got a single Ion Cell from a time capsule and thought about plugging it into my Prawn until I did the math and realized exactly what that might do to my Cyclops the next time it docked), so I guess my issue is that your reaction to yourself doing something silly is to come make another post about "Ugggggh this fuckin' game amirite guys?"

At least it wasn't 500 words this time.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 12, 2018

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Internet Kraken posted:

So how am I supposed to scan a leviathan without getting eaten? Your effective scan range is like 5 feet and the one I found is almost as fast as a sea moth at top speed. I'm worried that being attacked by one outside your ship is an instant kill.

Unless the stasis rifle works on them but that seems a bit too easy.

It is, in fact, that easy.

Spoilered because it basically makes Leviathans stop being scary.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

endlessmonotony posted:

Gotta hit their head dead-on though, and you're dead in two fuckups.

I suppose, but they have hugely telegraphed head-on charging attacks. They made the shots so easy to line up that I never even thought of it as a problem.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My time capsule was two Grappling Arms and four Jump Jet upgrades (according to the wiki, they stack).

Spidermech, Spidermech.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Internet Kraken posted:

If you mean the island that floats then yeah I've been there and explored it thoroughly. Regarding the certain plot point, I knew I was infected ever since I did the self-scan at the start but that's not nearly as frightening as suddenly being covered in horrid green blisters.

Just lol if you can see your skin past like 30 mins.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The game had some very definite rough edges but the experience of your initial exploration into a new biome was dope as gently caress and I am totally down to play Subnautica: literally the same thing but on a different map with new fish to touch.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The only large enemies I bothered to kill with any frequency was Crab Squids, since they could be knifed in one stasis charge and would spam EMP attacks if you didn't exterminate them.

Everything else you could just work around it chase away easily enough.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Rynoto posted:

Launching the various fauna into orbit is the single best 'feature' in the game.

Go to the beach and try to pick up a rock while you're standing on it and you can do it to yourself!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

They sure do!

...now remember the relationship between radius and volume, and imagine the glory.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Updates every couple months? I thought this expansion was much smaller than the original Subnautica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

ikanreed posted:

No, according to their CEO's GDC talk, subnautica wasn't concieved of as an underwater survival game.

It was originally concieved of as a cooperative modular submarine simulation game, then the found the only part that kept players having fun with their first model was the fear of drowning.

Subnautica was a series of terrible decisions refined into something fun by throwing out the worst of each bad decision. It's history is an essay on the value of second drafts.

That's true of most games though.