Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I feel like a retard, but is there a 2nd entrance into the Aurora interior? I found the one down the hallway that's blocked by boxes, but I don't have a laser cutter yet so I can't get into the 2nd door down there. But there's a whole bunch of other parts of the ship to explore, isn't there?

I tried climbing up as high as I could on the exterior, but all that's up there is some heavy fire (I wasted 2 extinguishers seeing if I could get it out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vhak lord of hate posted:

I'd just hold off on the Aurora until you have a laser cutter and the gravity gun (to move the boxes). It's a pain to get back to and you can get everything worthwhile in one go if you have all the necessary items, some pretty good stuff is behind boxes or laserable doors.

I got RNG hosed I guess, I've got a functional habitat built up and several advanced-ish blueprints, but I'm still 0/3 on the mobile vehicle bay and 1/3 on the laser cutter. I made it to the island with the 3 habitats on it, a few of the empty/dead lifepods, and I made it down to the control room of the alien facility where it tells you you're infected but have had pretty poor luck with blueprints.

Also, is there a use for titanium ingots? I feel like there should be a way to break them back into regular titanium. Are they for more advanced recipes?

Oh yeah, and I really wish there was an inventory size upgrade.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

HexiDave posted:

Stacking would require a pretty hefty rewrite, but expanding the inventory sizes or automatically shuffling into the closest inventory would be easy. I'm gonna be building an installer today so people can avoid the security bugs, but I can add that, too.

Can you link to your mods?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh poo poo, the pull from containers mod sounds amazing!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

My seabase isn’t quite done and I probably need to go on another monstrous run for titanium and quartz, but in a fit of inspiration I ran a verrrrrrry long tunnel all the way from the main complex (grassy plateaus, near a wreck and a lifepod) to the Jellyshroom Caves entrance, then a verrrrrrrrrry long series of vertical connectors all the way down into the cave with a short glass tunnel and an observatory at the end. I call it my meditation room.

I have this fantasy of setting up the whole thing, leaving four nuclear reactor rods in the reactor, and then leaving, and years or decades later someone else lands on the planet and finds my base. They’d be set for life! Also it has tons and tons of spare crystallized sulfur, nickel and kyanite.

How long did it take you to go back and forth refilling your inventory with titanium and glass?

Running long-rear end tunnels out to points of interest is a neat idea, though.

GlyphGryph posted:

You get like... two different plotlines to go to where they are, and three different regions that have them! How did you miss them for so long?

I had similar issues, I didn't find the multi-purpose room til later and for a while my home base was a couple of tunnel segments with a bunch of lockers jammed in.

Has anyone explored how far out you can go in a given direction? Are there hard boundaries or what?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wolrah posted:

It is wonderful and delivers probably the biggest impact on quality of life that a simple mod could.

The one downside I've noticed is it's really easy to inadvertently cook and/or cure the fish in your aquariums, because they count as inventories to your nearby fabricators. Working as intended but also potentially mildly tragic in a sort of funny way.

The extended quickbar mod is really nice too. Between those two things almost all the tedious inventory shuffling goes away unless you're out harvesting materials, in which case it's still somewhat of a core game mechanic.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Dead_Zone

This caused me to check the wiki entries on a few areas and creatures and holy gently caress, I've spent like 8 hours in this game and have probably seen like 1% of the biomes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The only radio transmission I didn't follow-up immediately was the one where the location was corrupted, although I think I found it by myself later. Where exactly are the multipurpose room blueprints according to the story?
Also I made it to the mountain island, but I sure didn't find an alien portal. Got a hint on that? (I did get the weird voice asking me who I was)... I don't think I've even found the other island you mentioned, haha.

You're making valid complaints, and if the game made an effort to speed you along the story I'd agree, but I've just been relaxing and exploring at my own pace and am having a blast. Even in regular survival mode, it's really easy to stay healthy and hydrated.

The overarching story seems pretty neat, but I'm 100% content to let it unfold as it comes and just keep puttering around.

Hopefully they fix the draw distance in a future patch though :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Funny, I've been to the Aurora a few times and never attracted a Reaper. I saw one way in the distance once, but it didn't come near me.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

man, some people really go all-out with their bases

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZYkW4

https://imgur.com/gallery/EPBV4

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'd put money down on "the scene triggers anyway" tbh

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hey Hex, is there a way to enable/disable your mods selectively? They're mostly fantastic, but the 5-minute-save one causes some serious lag every time it saves, and also ejects me from the Seamoth and immediately pulls me back into it every time.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

HexiDave posted:

Sure, go to the Subnautica/Subnautica_Data/Managed/Mods folder and delete the ImprovedSaves folder - then re-run the AssemblyPatcher (either from the Subnautica directory or the shortcut on the desktop). I'll eventually build a UI for this stuff, but I've been a bit busy.

Thank you sir!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tonight's session ended with me getting trapped in fire in the Prawn Room and frantically alt-F4ing as I died. I'm too scared to go back and see how much progress I lost.

The fact that I turned off the 5-minute-save mod last night is some kind of weird prescient karma apparently.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

double nine posted:

Something broke graphically when I spawned in some beacons, but it made for some neat screenshots so enjoy

Hey, you fixed pop-in! :haw:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Man, there was so much crap inside the Aurora! I got all excited when I saw all the empty carryalls lying around, except you can't pick them up if there's anything in them, of course. For a second I thought I had solved my inventory size problems.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

btw, is there some secret magic to Crashfish or whatever they're called, besides "swim backwards very fast and accept you're gonna lose some life?"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly I appreciate the idea but I would much rather have a secondary mode that's "water/food/o2 but no health" than the current "health/o2 but no food/water" mode. Or at least some sort of dedicated weapon. I just got the 300m Seamoth upgrade so I'm not too far in, but aside from the Reaper that caught me once, all the other damage-dealing stuff I've encountered has been way more annoying and tedious than actually challenging or fun. From the last page or 2 of posts it sounds like that continues all the way til the end, too.

Also can we talk about the out-of-water physics in this game :gonk:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Man, the AI isn't kidding when it warns you the Prawn might give you a god complex. Went exploring, punched a Ghost leviathan a bunch of times until it ran away, punched some crabsquids until they ran away, and got stuck 600m down in this bigass cave with blood coral or whatever the white roots with red drops on them are. Had to reload and lost like an hour of stuff. :sigh:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Could have just left it there until you got either the grapple arm or the cyclops.

I was ill-prepared and starved to death before I could find my way out of the cave on foot :saddowns:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I haven't found that spoiler'd thing and the only things in that cave where the little fish that bite and the blood crab things :(

Ah well, this game is fun and I don't really care. The Cyclops is a pain in the butt to navigate and I wish it had 2 vehicle bays.

Also I seem to have run out of radio transmissions to move me forward in the story. I've found all the lifepods so far, found both islands, and I randomly stumbled on the neon purple giant mushroom cave and the base there. Anything specific I should be looking out for next? I happened upon an area super-heavy with rubies and quartz and farmed that, but I don't remember where it was or how to get back to it with the Cyclops.

This game is like a loving drug.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Danaru posted:

There's a PDA in the base in the purple mushroom cave that'll give you another signal to follow

Oh drat, maybe I missed that one, I picked up at least 1 or 2 PDAs in there.

Also if I'm cheating with a map, what's the actual name of that area?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Thanks for the tips. I think my next step is to move my materials over to the Cyclops and set up shop in there. Then I can figure out where to explore next.

Where do the Seamoth depth upgrades come from? I only have one, but at this point I think I'd much prefer to have that instead of the Prawn when I got down to 400-500.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I have no idea if I even made a dent in its HP but drat was it satisfying to have that Ghost charge me like 3 times and get punched a bunch of times and swim away.

One of the passes it took at me I timed it perfectly and punched it and it broke away from charging me and didn't do any damagae I felt like a total badass

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

alrighty time for a base dump

here's the main complex. you can see: the two containment rooms on the right side, the main work space in the middle, living space in bottom left, moonpool to the left, reactor room behind that, scanner room past that (with the camera drones overlapping it). note that the containment rooms are on a higher elevation than the rest of the base.

a closer look, you can see my garden and solar panels. this is the original foundation of the base, which grew around it.

main workspace. in here: bioreactor, battery charger, power cell charger, filtration system, fabricator, medkit fabricator, two lockers.

the smaller alien containment unit (containment 1). this is where i hatch eggs and keep predators. i don't remember what egg is in there now, maybe a river prowler?

the larger containment unit, three stories tall (containment 2). this is the herbivore tank, where friends can share space and play and laugh. it's also where i breed peepers both for food and fuel.

yup. it's tall.

a scenic route between these chambers. they also connect directly, but this is for nice views for my aquarium guests. also there's a hatch in this tunnel leading out and a ladder down to the main complex.

here's my bedroom. there's a hatch out, and it connects to a hallway linked to the moonpool and the main workspace. i need to make a new vending machine!

the moonpool where my humble SQUIDFUCKER docks. all of my vehicles have the most garish paint schemes i can imagine

the reactor room links the moonpool and the scanner room. i didn't include screencaps of the scanner room inside cause it's, well, a scanner room, but it has three range upgrades. beyond the scanner room is a ladder up to the long passage towards the jellyshroom caves annex

here's a passage leading away from the main complex

and even more passageway to get to the cave entrance

whoa that's a long way down

that's a lotta rungs. good cardio.

little passageway at the bottom, to get to where the good views are

and here's my observatory, deep in the jellyshroom cave. sometimes i sits and thinks... and sometimes i just sits

holy poo poo that's awesome. At the very least I want to build tunnels around to cool biomes like that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Can you actually sit in the chair? I had the same idea but it seemed like the desk kept preventing me from sitting down and I couldn't get the placement right.

I'm still crushed that the swivel chair doesn't actually let you turn while sitting. The blueprint description is a lie!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Goddamnit. When I drowned in that cave the other night, I didn't check how much progress I lost.

I lost my entire maiden Cyclops voyage, down to where I found an assload of ruby and quartz. I don't even have the Prawn yet again :(

HexiDave, is there any reason you can think of why your 5-minute save mod might be causing massive slowdown? Whenever it saves the game slows to a <5FPS crawl for a few seconds. I don't know how often the game saves normally but I can't say I've noticed it with that mod turned off. FWIW, the game and save directory are both on an SSD.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Danaru posted:

I don't think the game saves at all unless you specifically select save from the menu

You're right. What I meant was there have been a few times where I rage-AltF4'd when I died in retarded ways and I'm always surprised how long it's been since I've saved :downs:

Granted the 5-minute save mod wouldn't have been an instant cure for my stuck-in-a-cave-with-the-Prawn scenario, but at least I could have abandoned the thing and come back for it later as was suggested.

e: anyway this game is still like cocaine. I also have no clue how some of you guys are on multiple runs through, I've got 20 hours on what is my first run and I've barely scratched the surface. (though I don't know if the game counts pause time as play time).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drake_263 posted:

Yeah, and the current engine for water doesn't really model fluid dynamics at all. There's no way to 'pump dry' an underwater grid - hell, if you mine away at the seashore, you end up with a lake-shaped chunk of water floating midair.

Still, it's definitely a game worth looking at!

This sounds like a question from one of those "serious answers to silly questions" books: would it be theoretically possible to have a planet where the atmospheric pressure was higher than the surface tension of a liquid or whatever, so if you removed the container around that liquid, it would hold its shape?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Ugh, the "it's totally realistic that this fake technology would take 30 seconds to turn scrap metal into titanium" crowd was the absolute worst.

the fact that I can build a giant submarine out of a few harvested parts is the justification I use when I console give myself a few things to fill out a crafting recipe.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a tiny bit over the survival aspect (I've definitely console'd in food/water when I got lost or stuck somewhere without), but the biomes and to a lesser extent story have got me hooked.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

IMO it would be infinitely less annoying if scanning stuff you already have blueprints for gave you anything other than titanium. Maybe it gives you 1 component needed for the item you just scanned? Hell, even make it a random base metal. At least then there'd be a reason to get excited for a new wreck once you have most things.

I also hit the "you need a laser cutter to get into this room with 4 laser cutter fragments" issue and it was really dumb.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh yeah, there's that one radio transmission that heavily implies that there are alien killbots or something equal on their way to murder you. Does that ever happen or is that implied to be like, the ghost leviathans or something?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheParadigm posted:

If if it the one I'm thinking of. It is the warpers. PDA find/translated message, or an actual radio transmission?

Actual transmission, talking about how they've locked onto my location, etc.

Cojawfee posted:

One of the alien sites you visit will set this straight for you.

Sweet I'll keep exploring then.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

found my first 3 time capsules.

-2 creature eggs
-4 floaters
-5 bags of potato chips and a bottle of water

:thumbsup:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I think it'd be cool if there was some sort of bonus for scanning poo poo like rock formations/minerals, the smaller fish, etc.

It is nice that the scan info tells you what resources come out of what kinds of rock, but other than that :shrug:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Devian666 posted:

Right at the start it's all about loving around and looking at cool stuff. Figuring out how to get food and water is kind of critical, then looking at making cool gear gives the most benefit. Also explore so far that you accidentally drown or get eaten for maximum fun.

says you, the dead zone was loving terrifying the first time I stumbled into it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Can you collect the fish that you slam into with the Seamoth or do they just splatter into oblivion?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So upgrading the Seamoth depth modules is done at a separate station that's not the upgrade station, or the cyclops upgrade station?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So I'm not sure if I've gotten to areas way before I should get to them. I wandered into the Lost River (I think? Skeletons and water that hurts you at the bottom?), and followed it into a lava zone. I found the alien thermal plant, (and died to a Sea Dragon), and it's pointed me in the direction of another facility.

At this point I've got the Cyclops with the mk2 depth upgrade, so I think I need the mk3 to proceed. I don't have the Prawn suit yet, and I'm dreading making my way back to the surface to build it. I had enough resources to build a bunch of ion power cells, and I've got a tiny forward base at the Giant Cove Tree.

I've gotten 2 of the weird "come find me" messages, and I think most of the Lifepods. I haven't gotten to 2 yet but I have the beacon for it. Am I missing anything major, or should I just build the final Cyclops depth module and head to that alien facility?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Hmmm, it's doable with the mk3'd Cyclops, absolutely. And no, you haven't missed anything, this is how long (short) the game is.

But: I gather you haven't visited the Aurora? No matter, you'll be pointed there eventually anyway for a blueprint. Coincidentally, the ship is littered with prawnsuits that are scanable if you still want one.

I cleared out the Aurora and fixed the engine, just by the time I had the Cyclops I didn't have a Prawn yet, and I felt like exploring with the Cyclops and suddenly I'm at the Containment Facility :shrug:

Took me weeks of loving around in the shallows but once I got going I guess I really blazed through it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

playing this game in VR would be the closest thing I could think of to a phobia exposure therapy session.