Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Titan
Jan 14, 2002

e X posted:

I love the comic, but I admit that the idea of the devil solving crime alone could make for a fun show and I was totally on board for the series when it was announced. Sadly, I have to say it's incredible boring. I am fine with the characters being cut outs, it's a procedural after all, but they play it way to save with the main character. Dude is way to nice for the Prince of Darkness and cares way to much for humanity. It would work so much better if he would actually be callous and cruel on occasion,an actual but he is really only a little eccentric. Making him actually evil would vastly improve the show

Didn't Luci say in one episode he hated being evil and punishing people in hell since his father was forcing him to do it? Now he enjoys seeking justice for victims, but on his own terms so I can buy that he's not the evil son of a bitch people think he is.

I would love to see him go full Archangel on someone and show his true power. I also want people to refer to him as Luci. I can picture that bothering him and it'd be amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

GuyUpNorth posted:

Lucifer ran Hell in the first place because it was the furthest place from Primum Mobile and Yahweh - I trust Samael didn't immediately come up with the idea of his own Creation all those eons ago, or if he even could do that without permission like the letter Amenadiel delivered.

I haven't read the comics, I know shame on me. In them didn't it turn out Hell was a gift from God? Being the farthest place from him. Hell just kind of grew around him because of his hatred?

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
That final scene was really good.

I hope they go into why Lucifer cut his wings off. Didn't Amenadiel show his wings in the first episode? If he can hide them just fine surely Lucifer can. Lucifer probably just did it as a 'gently caress YOU DAD" expression though.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
It's probably going to be a combo of Mazikeen and Amenadiel. Amenadiel put the biker up to stealing the wings. She knew where they were and wants to go back to Hell with him. So they launch a 2 prong attack on Lucifer. Amenadiel screwing with his mind and Mazi trying to get Decker out of the picture. She tried this episode, she just doesn't understand humans well enough yet. Whether they're actually coordinating together or Mazi told Amenadiel about the wings and he did the theft on his own remains to be seen.

The preview hinted that his wings can grant power, which might explain why Luci doesn't seem quite as powerful as you would expect a Fallen Angel and the literal Devil to be. Without his wings he isn't fully powered up. I hope they go this route that without his wings he just can't do as much he would normally be able to do, instead of having Lucifer just be blinded by his own ego. I guess I'm just hoping the wings aren't some one off thing they have to get back for reasons and actually play a very important role.

Titan fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 1, 2016

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Chasiubao posted:

I'm only down for this if it leads to a really stupid scene at the end of the season where he's gotta strap on the wings in order to rescue Decker/Maze/Trixie

Either way the next episode better have Luci making some joke about how Amenadiel is just jealous because Luci had prettier wings. In the pilot Amenadiel had wings more like a crow or a raven, then it shows Luci had the more traditional gorgeous white feather wings.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Chasiubao posted:

That....would skirt kind of close to a racial thing.

Oh poo poo, I didn't even make that connection. Wonder if they realized it when they gave the black Angel crow wings, and the white Fallen Angel the more traditional white feather wings.

:aaaaa:

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Echophonic posted:

Amenadiel seems like a different kind of angel. More of a messenger and enforcer, so it makes sense he'd have a different kind of wings. I doubt Lucifer's big flashy wings are sharp enough to justify putting to someone's throat.

Oh maybe black is just more his style. He wears a decent amount of it.

I could buy this if they ever said that Luci was an Archangel or really any one of the other familiar higher Angels (Seraph or Seraphim) and Amenadiel is just a common Angel.

Since Luci used to be Gods favorite son, it would make sense that he has the prettiest wings ever though.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
The times where he is the most intimidating IMO are when he just lets his eyes turn. Combined with the barely restrained anger the subtle eye shift just comes across as more terrifying. The quick flash of his warped face adds a little flair but I'm glad they don't ever show him in that form for longer than a split second.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
The best part was when Amenadiel and Luci were talking about how fat John was.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Not sure if it's been specifically mentioned in the show, in the comics Luci doesn't lie and makes it a point not too.

In the show he's complained about how humanity has him all wrong. He was more than likely telling the truth about the coin although the cop wouldn't know that. The main reason the guy didn't shoot Luci was because he would just end up back in hell when he died anyway.

Edit: Also, being the person who sends Lucifer back to hell is probably a bad idea since you'd end up there when you die with a very angry Lord of Hell waiting for you. Coin or not he'd be tortured more than anyone has been tortured in the history of torture.

Titan fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 12, 2016

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

bio347 posted:

As opposed to the "nephilim in some manner" theory, it could be possible that whatever he did to save her in that situation is the root cause.

That's a solid theory. When he saved her maybe he had to give her some of his "Grace" or Angelic Light. Whatever it is that makes him an Angel, and it created a sort of bond between them. Luci is vulnerable around her and Chloe has said that she feels vulnerable around him as well.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
That was a good episode. The finale looks like it's going to be amazing.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

SiKboy posted:

Totally agree, I just think it's worth noting that it's probably that he's choosing not to kill people, rather than that he can't.

I agree too. Lucifer is all about dealing out justice. Death doesn't fit his idea of what justice should be. Like in the pilot with that producer, he could have killed him after he shot Chloe but instead decided to punish him by showing his true form and whatever else he did to make the guy go insane.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
The one thing I don't understand is why he doesn't reveal to Chloe that he is really Lucifer via his eye shift.

I understand why he didn't let her see it this episode because he was suspicious of her and was playing things close to the chest, but why not before then?

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Medullah posted:

Oh man, now I want a lineup scene where Lucifer is standing with Ray Wise, John Glover, and Mark Pellegrino. Hell, throw Peter Stormare in there too.

That would be so awesome. Supernatural already poked some fun at this show so a little poke back would be awesome.

Next episode looks great and it looks like it might set up what season 2 is about. Plus we actually get to see what happens when the devil abandons hell damned souls and demons can escape

ShakeZula posted:

Everybody he does that to runs screaming, and sometimes they're also driven insane by it. He wants her to believe him, but he honestly doesn't seem all that bothered by her skepticism, and I doubt it's worth the risk of driving her away for good.

Remember, the one time she caught a glimpse of his devil eyes in a reflection she immediately pulled her gun on him and looked terrified.

That's a good point. So far the show hasn't really given us a way for Lucifer to prove he's the devil, without causing a problem. Him changing forms drives people insane (except for Malcolm but that dude spent years in Hell), he can't show his wings, he's not invulnerable around her, and Amenadiel wouldn't show his wings just to help Lucifer out. He maybe could have levitated his coin in front of her or some other object. It just strikes me as odd because all season he's been indignant at people having the wrong idea about him. I would think someone humoring him would get on his nerves.

Maybe you're right and Chloe just doesn't care either way and that is interesting/funny to Luci.

Another edit: Tom Ellis was on @midnight last night and he was pretty funny.

Titan fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 21, 2016

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Blind Melon posted:

Does Jesus even exist in the shows mythology?

I felt like they almost lamp shaded this when Lucifer was complaining that all he wanted was to be his own person and be judged on his own merits while pining that the Detective had made him mortal which would seem to be a pretty direct answer to his prayers.

Even if that's not true, its a virtual certainty that Dad is highly amused by his Son's antics.

I don't think any shows based on the Judeo -Christian beliefs ever bring up Jesus.

computer parts posted:

I really like the idea of Lucifer being a punisher of evil, not evil himself. I don't think I've seen that interpretation before.

Also, he really emphasizes the rebellious streak. Someone like (eg) Supernatural's Lucifer seems pretty resigned to the Apocalypse narrative, and his rebellion is in a very orderly way ("there must be a villain").

Supernaturals Lucifer rebelled because he hated humanity with every fiber of his being. He wanted to kill them all because he saw them as ruining Creation.

Lucifer rebelled (in this series anyway) as a giant 'gently caress you Dad, I want to do what I want to do, not what you have planned for me". His arc this season seems to be him slowly realizing that he isn't being punished and, as you said, is the villain because someone has to be and he is (was?) Gods favorite and the most competent Angel for the job. He still hates that it isn't on his terms thought. Earlier in the season he commented that while God was making him torture souls in Hell he hated it but he loves dealing punishment out now since it's on his own terms.

Titan fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 21, 2016

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
He's all about free will but he has his own sense of morality. You can do whatever you want but you better be prepared to accept the consequences.

He's not quite a true amoral facilitator but he's pretty drat close.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
It has to be Lilith. She's the mother of all demons, right?

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Plus, the few times he has actually shown his evil meanie face it's lead to some serious mental breakdowns.

I was curious about that, does he do something to them when he does that or is it just the simple act of seeing that the Devil is real enough to make you go insane? Luci doing it to Malcolm had no effect because he had already been to Hell. Would it have no effect on someone with 100% faith the devil exists?

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Tiggum posted:

This show is not good enough to diss Supernatural. Yes, I know what I said.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't and it's never been clear to me what the reasoning is. Sometimes it's because the stand-in company (or its owner) is doing something shady, other times it just seems arbitrary.

It felt like a playful diss on Supernatural to me. Last season Supernatural did a playful little diss on Lucifer so it felt like Lucifer just did one back. Granted the one Supernatural did was much much better.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

meristem posted:

Maze found her calling! And it's hunting humans!

Everything about that scene was perfect. From her genuine excitement to the docs apprehension. Everything.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
The procedural stuff is just a backdrop for the rest of the show. It's far from the main point of the show.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

Good point. What has been said about Azrael so far?

She could just be, "under cover".

Nothing aside from she's the Angel of Death.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Why is Azraels blade so dangerous?

I get that it can kill Angels but so can those knives Maze has. Is it the only thing that can kill Luci's mother?

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

It obliterates anything, soul and all. So, if you kill Luci his soul goes to hell. Maze's blades can actually harm a demon. Regular knives can not.

The blade basically treats divinity as humans.

That's what I'm unclear on. Does it wipe them from existence? Like is Uriel just gone? Not just back in Heaven?

In season 1 didn't Luci get stabbed by that corrupt cop with Maze's knife and that caused him to die and go back to Hell?

Amenadiel got shanked by one of Maze's knife and he was dying before she healed him with a feather from Luci's wings. The only way I can see her sword being a truly fearsome weapon is if it literally erases you from existence.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

From what the show has told us, in Luci's own words; "Uriel, that's Azrael's blade. You're not planning on taking Mum back to Hell. That weapon will wipe her out of existence entirely. No Heaven, no Hell, just... gone."

Maze's dagger a demon or angel will return to whence they came. As Lucifer did in the season ender of the first season.

I must have missed that part. I thought the obliteration comments was just Luci being Luci and using hyperbole.

Thanks for the info!

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

Happy to help.

Kind of odd for God to create a weapon that can erase himself from existence. If it can kill his wife surely it can kill him too. Maybe that's momma's end game. Lead another war on Heaven and kill God and take his place.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

tarlibone posted:

Nobody's saying that it can get rid of the big guy--just, you know, everyone else.

This whole thing is starting to remind me of the Jerito Paradox: could Jesus make a burrito so hot that he couldn't eat it?

God and Mom are the two beings who are responsible for all of creation. I wonder if they're of equal power. If they are, then what could kill her could kill God. They are both celestial beings after all.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

tarlibone posted:

The thing that keeps me from putting all celestial beings, or even just God and Mom, on the same level is this: God banished angels, including one of His sons. And, He banished Mom. If they were equal, I don't think He could just do that to Mom.

God banished Mrs. God with the help of his Angels. God and Her may be on an equal footing but only one has the Heavenly Host backing him up.

Kind of like in Supernatural where Chuck and Amara were equal but Chuck had the 4 Archangels backing him up.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Amenadiel probably just made the impossible possible. A couple couldn't conceive and he just made it happen anyway. Nothing funky.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

Robot Hobo posted:

So is it going to turn out that God also arranged for Chloe's Dad to be murdered, on order to set her on her path to be a Detective and meet up with Luci?

... Oh poo poo. God was trying to create Batman.

God has been trying for untold millennia to create Batman. He has yet to be successful.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Great finale. Maze and Trixie playing doctor was great. Especially the little fist bump after Trixie said Luci didn't deserve a sucker because he was being a wuss. I'm glad that once the pieces of the sword was assembled it actually looked pretty bad rear end and not just a cheap looking 12 inch dagger.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

grack posted:

I just pretend it doesn't exist. I think that's the most reasonable course of action.

Wait how does this happen? At the end of the original comic series Lucifer gives all of his power to Maze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Have they even said in the show that Luci is an Archangel? He is just a normal angel isn't he? They haven't mentioned Michael or Gabriel either. Amenadiel seems like a mash up of both Michael and comic version of Amenadiel.

• Locked thread