Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Eddain posted:

She's gonna use that lone feather to restore his divinity as he lies dying I bet.
Theres at least a thematic (not plot) link to the original story where he regained his wings...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

Having never read the comic, those two panels make it look like he flew over the horrific torture, tapped a torturer on the back, told him that he can keep doing the same horrible tortures for all eternity, but now it's for a good reason, and flew off feeling like he did a good thing without actually changing anything at all.
Well... kind of. Except theres a bunch of context before it, and a huge array of effects that come after that.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Echophonic posted:

I think when the Devil wants something to be on fire, it's drat well going to be on fire.
Specifically/especially "Gods lamplighter".

Lucifers task during Creation was to create/ignite the stars.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm pretty sure he also has a lighter.
Yeah but I bet his works better than yours. :colbert:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

My brain processed that as Gods gaslighter, which is both hilarious and probably accurate in some way.
Well if this lasts a few seasons and sticks at all to the major themes of the comic* we'll see! :v:

*probably not

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I like procedurals. I think the bigger story gets in the way of the bits I like. I want the formulaic case of the week, not the rest of it. I hope they don't focus on the big mystery and just keep that as a background thing. Focusing on the bigger stories is what ruins these shows.
Completely disagree. The case of the week crap makes the show utterly pointless unless its just an intro for new viewers to realize that they arent joking and that he is in fact Lucifer. The quicker they get to the real stories the better.

What you want would be like Supernatural still fighting haunted trucks and bug swarms in season 45 or whatever theyre on. There has to be a big story to carry through.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Snak posted:

It would be pretty funny if, in classic "Lucifer misses the point" style, he goes around trying to befriend priests trying to recapture the magic.

This is a bad diversion from the original stories.

An archangel as old as creation just cant get these wily hairless apes!

Human motivations should be trivial to him, but that would ruin their low-grade crime drama bullshit.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

The "God's plan" stuff definitely clashes with the comic because in that Lucifer's problem with God was the idea of a plan, not his place in it. He actually creates an entirely new universe where he's in charge just to get away from it.
If they had a real budget (and real writer/directors) some of the major scenes would be amazing. The trip to regain his wings, the Mansions of Silence, the expansion of The Word...

Even if they skipped huge swaths of story like the Meleos/The Basanos, and the battles to rule hell, there is so much stuff that could have been great.

Granted they would have had to make Lucifer himself a "huge" character that wasnt always on screen, but with a good cast they could have done it.

For that matter they could have broken it into seasons, one: get the wings, two: the basanos, etc...

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

Don't forget, his wings are not totally gone. Maze still has a feather. that may be all that it takes.

Totally different story (like this show has almost NOTHING to do with the comic so far) but a feather makes enough of a link to the creation-idea/word of the wings to matter in the comics.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

I'm outraged! OUTRAGED I SAY!

So outraged.
Youre looking for the The 100 thread.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

The Magicians, it's a better show anyway.
:what:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Boo This Man posted:

I hope that Neil Gaimon is brought in to help write and give the show direction. I would want to see Constatine and the Endless introduced.

Medullah posted:

Please no. They decided to ignore the source material and somehow made a good product. Trying to incorporate the source material back in will lead to disaster.
Yeah they would be better off leaving this as a standalone unrelated thing and save the real Lucifer and Endless stories for some other project.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Gyges posted:

I wonder, are the ruling deities in all the pantheons such absolute cocks about fire? Humans getting fire seems to fairly frequently be the result of someone disobeying the divine order.
The ancient alien overlords never intended the slave monkeys to be able to make their own rockets. Obviously.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

bio347 posted:

My initial reactionary thought was Lilith, but that doesn't make sense for any number of reasons. At least one of which doesn't have to do with the comics, even.
The show writers dont seem to care that much about the comics they lifted the title from.

Hopefully its a red herring and "mum" is short for some deity-level prisoner of hell that has a name that has "mum" in it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

Idiotic fan theory: Maze has been redeemed, for saving Amenediel, with Lucifer's feather.

Thoughts?
Unless they completely poo poo on the IP, cant happen. She isnt human, and cant be "saved". Shes one of the Lilim.

Comic spoiler-ish stuff:

quote:

Mazikeen is a devoted ally and lover of Lucifer Morningstar and the war leader of the Lilim, a race descended from Lilith. A fearsome warrior and a respected leader, Mazikeen is a prominent character in the Lucifer comics. She has the appearance of a beautiful human female with long bluish black hair. She is also the only character for whom Lucifer seems to have any genuine affection. Mazikeen first appeared in The Sandman, where she was Lucifer's consort while he reigned in Hell. At the time, half of her face was normal, but the other half was horribly misshapen and skeletal, causing her speech to be nearly unintelligible.

During the course of the Lucifer series, a few details of Mazikeen's past are revealed. Issue 14 establishes that Lilith bore her children, presumably including Mazikeen, while living on the shores of the Red Sea. Mazikeen's father is identified as the serpent demon Ophur - a fact which allowed Mazikeen to drink and regurgitate venom. The one-shot story 'Lilith' in issue 50 reveals Mazikeen's childhood with her mother by the Red Sea. At this time, Mazikeen appeared as a normal human child, fiercely defensive of her mother and with a streak of cruelty. A flashback in issue 75 shows Mazikeen first entering Lucifer's service when she comes the Hell to seek asylum for an undisclosed reason.

On the other hand... who knows. To begin with Lucifer is supposed to be one of the most powerful forces running around after 'God' and The Endless. Obviously they are completely ignoring that because they dont have a Game of Thrones budget. :(

The weakest change in the show is the way they are using Angels that were there at the beginning of actual time and having them be mystified by these ~strange humans~.

The overarching myths carried between The Sandman, Lucifer, and Books of Magic are worth the long read if youre into that stuff at all. (Also parts of Hellblazer.) The scope and scale of the stories is/are way different than this buddy-cop show looks like the writers are capable of though.

Another (major) comic spoiler:

quote:

Lucifer, while making his preparations to leave Yahweh's creation forever, imparts two gifts to her. First, he restores Mazikeen's face to its original form, saying that he wished to see her as she had looked when she "first came to [him in Hell]." For the second gift, Lucifer transfers all of his power, and his title of "The Lightbringer" to Mazikeen, telling her that "... this will be our marriage. Our Union." The power that Yahweh gave to Lucifer in the beginning had now been given to Mazikeen. If the full extent of Lucifer's powers were transferred, then Mazikeen is now the second most powerful entity in Creation
If youre going to be a rebel, may as well go all the way.

Other character (Lucifer) lore from the comics, highlighting the vast difference between the show and the original stories:

quote:

Lucifer possesses nigh-omnipotent supernatural power; he can shape the matter of Creation into anything he can imagine, including matter, energy, and more abstract concepts such as time. However, he does have certain limitations as he is still a creation of God. He cannot create something out of nothing, unlike his Creator. In some ways, this makes him the most disadvantaged, though not the weakest, of the archangelic host. He needs existing matter (and where that is unavailable, the Demiurgic power of the Archangel Michael) to provide the foundation for him to shape. Only his brother, the archangel Michael Demiurgos, is his equal in power and only God, his creator and father Yahweh, is his superior. However, in certain dimensions, he is powerless and his mobility is limited without his angelic wings. He may choose to temporarily abandon his powers, including his immortality. In the story titled "Lilith", it is implied that God could destroy him at His own whim - which makes Lucifer sometimes wonder why He hasn't dealt with him already. He is never without the formidable resources of his brilliant, nigh-omniscient intellect and his unbending will or inner strength, which allowed him to defy and confront his father, Almighty God, without fear or doubt. Although Lucifer's overt exercise of power is limited in the books, if he is provoked to violence, his preference seems to be to use fire as a weapon. His original role was as "God's lamplighter", in which he used his will to condense clouds of hydrogen into star-masses and set them alight. As terrifying as they are brief, battles with Lucifer usually begin (and end) with him drawing down the flames of some superheated star and incinerating to ash anything in the immediate area.

So yeah. So far the only things that are the same is the fact that they somehow got to use the show name and the rights to Mazikeen.

Other trivia for DC Lucifer: Lucifer is not "Satan", "Satan" is The First of the Fallen and ruled Hell before Lucifers fall. Lucifer took hell from him because ... well no one was going to be able to stop him. (Thats Hellblazer stuff mostly.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

stupid ridiculous comic bullshit
Worst opinion so far.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I'm sorry but your picture books for manchildren are written by people who can't even manage to spit out dan brown levels of coherent, interesting writing. If they could they wouldn't be writing comic books.

You think tv writing is good and Dan Brown is interesting. You are a fine literary critic.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Nope. But I think that the Lucifer comics were great and the idiot that dismisses them in favor of an enjoyable but empty tv show is not much of a critic to make attention to.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

Absolutely just watched this week's episode for the fourth time.

I have a question, much like Amenadiel. Mine though, well...

What does god/Father want that he himself can not provide?

Otherwise, why keep Lucy and Chloe around?

:twisted:

The comic dealt with this in a pretty big way.

This show has nowhere to go with it but man its sure funny to hear "the devil" complain about his mom!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
The sword was bad. The character was cast badly. The part was written badly.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

adhuin posted:

I assume for Americans waste disposal units have different connotations than source of mutilation/death?

Theyre for potato peels.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Snak posted:

I'm wondering if he's even in the present.

If they are still randomly munging storylines, then it could be some kind of take off on Lucifer crossing through the realms to get his wings back from Izanami..

Thats a high-budget route though. So probably not.

quote:

Needing his wings back, Lucifer visited Izanami's Hell. Powerless, he entered the house of windowless rooms, outsmarted the various Gods and Goddesses, and got his wings back.

They could compress Chloe into Ellaine (weird, but still...), and bring in Michael I guess... but thats probably was too complicated and a long arc for a show that tries to avoid long complicated arcs.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Nah, that was some other woman whose body Lucifer's mom was using.

Basically, Dan raped her and the show is just going to ignore that tidbit.
Dan accepted a proposition from an interested woman.

"Goddess" used her for sex. Literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Dongattack posted:

Neat, i hope he appears on the show too.
The comic storylines are so different from this "barely supernatural" show they are hard to compare.

When God comes back from being "missing" its a cosmos-shifting turn in the story in the comic.

Rappaport posted:

OMG One of the folders in the final scene was labled Gaudium :neckbeard: (Final scene spoiler!!!!)

Yeah but will they make another basic human or pull out some full-time CGI?

• Locked thread