Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird

by zen death robot
does anyone here like card games. i do. i mean games that are played with normal standard playing cards, not whatever special cards. i guess poker counts but it's very lame. i like trick taking games mostly, like bridge and hearts and especially skat, but i think it's really cool all the completely different games that just use a deck of cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird

by zen death robot
so the way a trick works is one person plays a card from their hand to the table, which can be any card they want. then everyone else in turns plays a card, but if they have cards of the same suit as the first card, they have to play one of them. if they don't, they can play anything. then once everyone has played a card, whoever played the highest card of the suit led wins the trick, and gets to lead to the next one

there's also often a trump suit, where it's a normal suit, like you can lead it, and if it wasn't led you can only play it when you can't follow suit, but then once everyone has played a card, the highest card of the suit led wins like normal unless a trump was played, in which case the highest card of the trump suit wins

everyone gets the same number of cards in their hands to start with, and you keep playing tricks until everyone runs out of cards. that's the basic mechanic behind um most card games probably, definitely most of the really strategically interesting ones

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

weird

by zen death robot
a really cool trick taking game that is simple enough to teach people quickly but still has a lot of room for strategy is 99. it's for three people, and you only use 6789tjqka of each suit, so you have 36 cards total. everyone gets dealt twelve cards, and the dealer, before they look at the rest of their cards, says what the last card they dealt themself was, whatever suit it was is trump, or if it's a 9 then that hand is played in no trump

then before the first trick, everyone picks three cards to take out of their hand and put face down on the table, so there will only be 9 tricks played. the ranks of the cards they put face down don't matter, but the suits say how many tricks they think they will win. diamonds are 0, because a diamond kind of looks like a zero, spades are 1 because they have the one point at the top, hearts are two because they have the two bumps, and clubs are three because they have the three round bits. so if you put down two hearts and a spade, thats 2 + 2 + 1 = 5 tricks you think you will win. three diamonds is 0 + 0 + 0 so you don't think you'll win any, and three clubs is 3 + 3 + 3 = 9 so you think you'll win every trick. no one except you knows what you bid until the round is over

then you play the nine tricks, and everyone shows what they bid for scoring. the way scoring works is you get 1 point for every trick you won no matter what, but you also get 10 extra points if you got your bid exactly. so if you bid 0 and win every trick, you get 9 points for 9 tricks, but if you bid 0 and make your bid, ie don't win any tricks, then you get the 10 point bonus + 0 for 0 tricks = 10. you play until someone gets to 99, that's it.

where it gets interesting is because you don't necessarily want to win a lot of tricks, you want to make a bid that you can hit exactly, so sometimes you're better off throwing away high cards because it gives your hand a shape that's easier to play. when you're playing the hand, you also want to pay attention to how other people are playing. keeping track of the cards in your hand and the cards that have been played, you can estimate what cards people are likely to have, and for instance sometimes you can tell that someone is losing tricks on purpose, so you might want to give up a trick yourself to try and make them win one so they don't get the bonus they're going after

if diamonds is trump and you have diamonds, you can usually play the hand two ways, too. the straightforward one is to bid your non-diamonds so that you can make a high bid and then use your diamonds to win them. but since diamond is trump, and diamonds are 0, you could also bid your diamonds instead, throw away your good cards and bet that you won't win any tricks. that can also screw up other people because they will usually expect you to keep your good cards, things like that

it's a great game because it's very simple to pick up and learn how to play, but there's a lot of room to be clever, and it's usually touch and go if you can make your bid and keep in control of things, so it tends to be really tense and exciting

----------------

weird

by zen death robot
there are also point trick games, where instead of worrying about how many tricks you win, it's about what cards are in those tricks. they usually use a 32 card deck of 789tjqka in each suit that rank high to low atkqj987, where 7 8 and 9 are worth 0, j is 2, q is 3, k is 4, t is 10, and a is 11. so tricks vary in value, and some of them might not be worth anything. they're more popular in continental europe but they're some of the most interesting games i think

skat is the best game in this category to me, but its rules are very complicated. basically when you're bidding, you bid on game points, which are unrelated to card points. then whoever wins, they can pick what kind of hand they will play, as long as it's worth at least as many points as they bid. there's a few to choose from, like that they will win no tricks, that they will win certain amounts of points, and the game value is decided by the kind of game they picked, what trump suit they chose, how much they won by, whether they said in advance that they would win by that much more, blah blah blah. jacks are also usually the top trumps, like no matter what the trump suit is the four jacks count as that suit and all rank above the ace, or jacks can be the only trumps too. they're still only worth two points each tho. skat is really complex but its absolutely brilliant if you can find people to play with

66 is a much simpler game in the same genre. it's for two players and you only use jqkta, so 20 cards total and they're all worth points. you only have 5 cards at a time, too. for the first part of the game you draw a card after every trick and you don't need to follow suit, for the second part you do need to follow suit and you don't draw cards. the winner is whoever correctly declares when they have at least 66 points, but you aren't allowed to keep score anywhere, you have to do it in your head. if it's your turn to lead and you have the king and queen of a suit, you can show both of them and play one and that's a marriage and is worth 20 points, or 40 if it's in trump, but you can only do that when you're leading. this game is very very tense because you have so few cards, and you don't want to break up marriages before you can claim the points for them, and you usually want to hold onto your valuable high cards until the second part when they're more useful. you have very little room to manoeuvre with only 5 cards and it's such a fast game and it's just great.....

----------------

Ace of Baes
Ne1 here play euchre

Robot Made of Meat

In high school we used to play euchre. It was a fun, mindless thing to do.

I used to have a few friends who played canasta, but that takes more concentration.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Grandmother of Five

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
blowing cards is my fav card game: you put a deck of card ontop of something like a beer bottle and then you take turns trying to blow down 1 or more cards with 1 draw of breath and if you knock down 0 or all of the cards you lose. you can play this with any kind of deck btw

Mapparu

i used to play solitaire with my neighbor. basically we used to race to find a solution.

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
^ it's easier with a deck of cards

ron color
Lucky Chad: ok this game is a lot like rummy but you punch holes in all the cards and run 60 foot of.string through them. As you play everyone gets wrapped.in strings...if someone cant move to play a card you start to punch them in the arms all rhe time and call them chad and say stuff like lol nice cards chad

Robot Made of Meat

ron color posted:

Lucky Chad: ok this game is a lot like rummy but you punch holes in all the cards and run 60 foot of.string through them. As you play everyone gets wrapped.in strings...if someone cant move to play a card you start to punch them in the arms all rhe time and call them chad and say stuff like lol nice cards chad

Chad doesn't seem very lucky in this game.

Is this some of that 'irony' I hear is popular on the interwebs these days?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

weird

by zen death robot

Robot Made of Meat posted:

In high school we used to play euchre. It was a fun, mindless thing to do.

I used to have a few friends who played canasta, but that takes more concentration.

canasta is really cool

----------------

weird

by zen death robot

Mapparu posted:

i used to play solitaire with my neighbor. basically we used to race to find a solution.

solitaire started out as a competitive game, people would just practise by themselves and then they decided that was entertaining enough

there's also like spite and malice which is just an n-player solitaire. it's weird because it's sold as skip-bo with special cards but it's just a regular card game, a skip-bo pack is just a few decks of unsuited cards. same deal with like uno it's very strange

there's also a lot of different kinds of solitaire, klondike is ok but it's a bit too luck based i think. there's other games i like better like penguin which is like freecell but a bit harder, that are cool because it's pretty much always winnable and you can plot out the whole game in your head if you want, but bad moves make it easy to make the game unwinnable.

accordion is really good for that too, where it's basically as skill-based as you want it to be, and playing it completely by calculation would mean holding a ridiculous amount of moves in your head at once, so you can break down and just rely on luck whenever but if you wanted there's always room for it to be harder and more skillful

----------------

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

hearts is my favorite game ever it's really good but spades is also super fun & kickass. i played euchre a bit too but i don't like that one it's too weird for me

weird

by zen death robot
is spades just whist except spades is always trump

----------------

devil

what system do these games run on?

weird

by zen death robot
hearts is really good

----------------

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

dave. posted:

the honor system

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Qwerinty

by zen death robot

weird posted:

same deal with like uno it's very strange

before i knew what uno was my mother's mother taught us a game called crazy eights that was basically a real card version of uno, i like it a lot more

----------------

Ace of Baes
im probably the best white spades player on this forum or maybe even something awful

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

Qwerinty posted:

before i knew what uno was my mother's mother taught us a game called crazy eights that was basically a real card version of uno, i like it a lot more

are face cards actions like reverse or skip turn in Uno?

edit: found the rules

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
devil

Ace of Baes posted:

im probably the best white spades player on this forum or maybe even something awful

prove it

Piso Mojado

weird posted:

hearts is really good

hearts is my all time favorite...well behind black jack.

Piso Mojado

Ace of Baes posted:

found my teammate for next year byobbq

Macnult

Back when I was a young child I used to spend a lot of time at my neighborhood's swimming pool during the summer. During adult swim or if we couldn't go into the pool for some reason (lifeguard didn't believe that it was just a plane he heard), a lot of kids would occasionally play card games.

The younger kids played Slapjack, which is a pretty popular one. Cards are divided evenly (or close to it) amongst players and they all hold their stack face down. Each player takes a turn flipping a card from their stack and placing the card down on the middle of the table face up. If it's a jack, you slap it. If you were the first one to slap it you collect all the cards from the middle of the table. The player who ends up with all the cards wins.

We usually had other rules added too, mainly to keep the game running smoothly. There was a kid named Noah who would slap the stack nearly every time someone placed a card, and it was so freaking cheap. To stop stupid idiots like Noah, we added a rule where if you slap a card that isn't a jack on 3 different occasions then you automatically lose and are a scrub.
Another rule is that players can have a hand ready to slap, but it can't be hovering over the table. Sometimes a kid hurt their hand because it was under the table when they went to slap a card. Yeah we know it's their fault, but who cares this rule isn't even a big deal it's not like they're closer to the table plus you can do it too.

The older kids played Egyptian Ratscrew. I don't remember much about the rules for it, but I remember it being fairly fast-paced. You learned by playing it, and also by people explaining to you what happened whenever you had one of those "wait how did you do that" reactions.

I didn't play it much since adult swim was only 15 minutes long and I always forgot the rules. Plus the older kids usually played Nukem anyway, which was like volleyball but with catching and throwing.

deep dish peat moss

My family plays a lot of Hand & Foot everytime they're all in town together. It's like Canasta but you use several decks and create larger books.

deep dish peat moss

dave. posted:

Hand & FOot is a bicycle exclusive.

deep dish peat moss

Macnult posted:

The older kids played Egyptian Ratscrew. I don't remember much about the rules for it, but I remember it being fairly fast-paced. You learned by playing it, and also by people explaining to you what happened whenever you had one of those "wait how did you do that" reactions.

I looked it up on Wikipedia and like these sentences

quote:

Strategy also exists in the delivery of the slap, from the deliberately cruel wearing of sharp rings (pointing downwards being the worst, as it penalizes the person who wins the pile from under you), to sliding one's hand onto the pile straight ahead rather than slapping downwards. Beware of players with long nails; some may use them to scare you, while others may be scared to bend or beak them. House rules can limit the slap methods allowed.

mike12345

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Hey OP, do you know a good SKAT for mac? My dad keeps playing this crappy flash version, afaik there's only one difficulty. Basically something with good AI or maybe play against other people online? If that exists.

e: sorry for necro, found this thread via google

e: found jskat, not much other options available

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 17, 2016

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I feel like i'm legally obligated to post in this thread.
I like card games.
Egyptian Ratscrew is fun, but we always called it Slapitaire.

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

NeoSanguine

This is my swamp.
I like card games, been playing quite a bit of Secret Hitler, even though I believe its only available through the print and play version, and Tabletop Simulator.

Afro Doug

my favorite card game is solitaire war. basically you take a card off the deck and then you win. big self-esteem booster

Afro Doug

my other favorite game is solitaire 52 card pickup

3D Megadoodoo

i bought a second-hand deck of bicycle-brand playing cards and the deck is complete but one of the cards has a blue back and all the rest have red backs. THANKS, FLEA MARKET SELLER PERSON

3D Megadoodoo

so if anyone has an extra red-backed bicycle jack of diamonds, PM me

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
That's the best story I've heard all day :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urodov

Afro Doug posted:

my other favorite game is solitaire 52 card pickup

haha, of course!
everyone enjoys a rousting game of Butterfingers Solitaire.

Ãèáåëü â ìîðñêîé âîëíå,                                                                                                спасибо, Слагнойд-кун!
èëè ñâîáîäó

• Locked thread