Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i've not had a single crash fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I had one when I tried to do an insane chain remote start that would have blown up half the map.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ulmont posted:

I'm finally getting around to plot after offing all the chosen (after contacting all regions etc) and I've had exactly one crash.
I seem to crash a lot when I'm trying to position an explosive's radius but nothing egregious.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Well, I think I just lost my campaign. I sent my C team on a Guerilla Ops mission that was listed as only being Difficult. Three turns before the enemy device timer ran out, a pod of reinforcements showed up. Sending a ranger to sword the last one to death tripped a pod with my first Andromedon, and another pod with the Archon King. A few too many unlucky shots later, everyone's dead or captured. All my upgraded weapons, Alien Hunter gear and consumables are just gone. That's fuckin depressing. I had just gotten a breakthrough to allow reusing weapon mods that I was real excited for.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i haven't had a single actual crash and only one softlock when i was ambushing a sectopod and the game never came out of close-up slow motion cinematic mode, and that only lost me about 30 seconds of gameplay because of autosaves

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OK, the crashes were totally something to do with cloud saves because when I got back on the internet it stopped crashing.

So, how long do Resistance/Supply Raid/Guerilla Ops-type missions stay on the map? I know Retaliation Missions are time-sensitive but for those other ones, sometimes I could use a day or two to get something online.

Do Covert Ops not drain will? Do soldiers actually gain back Will while on ops? It feels like sending tired soldiers on ops is working out

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Man, missing 100% of your shots and subsequently losing 2 troops before evac is enough to make you want to stop playing this game for a month. Really marksman? 3 misses in a row at 86%? Really?

Fake edit: I can't remember the last time anyone has connected with an overwatch shot. I don't even bother doing it anymore. Just hunker down, and still get hit.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Are there any decent class mods available? As in not ridiculously broken, but useful.

Also, re: Jagged Alliance 2 talk a few pages ago, is there a tutorial/basic tips or something like that to it? I own it for years and always wanted to play it, but it seems impenetrable.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
I haven't had too big of a problem with crashes until recently. I'm on a Legendary game where I'm just stuck because it's a Lost mission that crashes every time I end the turn. Might be too many of them or something, I don't know.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Shen's Tower, and sparks are broken for me. Anyone encounter this? At the tower, it no longer starts to play Julian, or the video where Shen dismisses the 'High Tech 20 years ago' first floor of the factory. if i build a spark in the proving grounds, and level eem up, it doesnt cut to shen's 'Im programming upgrades' video.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I finally got around to trying out a SPARK in my L/I campaign.

Then I get on a map where the Hunter one-shots her by landing a critical. Guess I'll give them a go on the next campaign.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm getting a crash usually once per day. For some reason grappling hooks seem to be causing it. I have a bunch of quality of life mods running so maybe one of them is responsible but hell if I can figure out which.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm getting a crash usually once per day. For some reason grappling hooks seem to be causing it. I have a bunch of quality of life mods running so maybe one of them is responsible but hell if I can figure out which.

QoL are usually the biggest culprits when it comes to crashes. So many of them add a ton of scripts that make the game unstable.

Like Lifetime Stats was one I used to use that absolutely murdered performance and made explosion damage do all sorts of weird and fucky stuff until I disabled it. Also Mission Award Variety, Evac All etc.

also some of my favorite dumb pictures

I think ever since I got the mod that lets you give your soldier prosthetics, almost every member of XCOM has been at least an amputee.

Zore fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 24, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
In EW I reserved the MEC transition for soldiers who got the Alex Murphy treatment from aliens.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

GB_Sign posted:

This is a ways back but someone mentioned losing their Ironman save due to a crash. I had the same thing happen, game crashed, save got deleted. I found a method to potentially restore the save as long as you told it to report the data during the crash (or during a previous crash) and waited for it to properly complete.

1. Open Documents\My Games\XCOM2 War of the Chosen\XComGame\Logs
  2. Find the folder with the crash data (usually named XCOM-<<PC Name>>-<<alphanumeric string>>-<<date of crash>>-<<time of crash>>-Crash)
  3. Inside that folder look for a file that has "Save-Rename-To-Save0-For-Load" in the filename and copy it
  4. Go to Documents\My Games\XCOM2 War of the Chosen\XComGame\SaveData
  5. Paste the copied file and rename it to Save0

6. Launch "ModLauncherWPF.exe" from Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\XCom2-WarOfTheChosen\Binaries\Win64\Launcher
  7. Select Load Save
  8. Choose the Save0 file (may mention it being the wrong language or some other error)
  9. Let the file completely load, it should bring you back into your mission a turn or so before it failed.
  10. Properly Save and Exit
  11. Reload using the normal launcher and your save should be restored.

It took me a few attempts, the first time using the ModLauncher it wasn't working but I eventually got it working and managed to save my lategame C/I run.

It worked and saved my run that I lost a few weeks ago. Jane Kelly and her friends not-Worf and not-Troi ride again!

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Zore posted:

QoL are usually the biggest culprits when it comes to crashes. So many of them add a ton of scripts that make the game unstable.

Like Lifetime Stats was one I used to use that absolutely murdered performance and made explosion damage do all sorts of weird and fucky stuff until I disabled it. Also Mission Award Variety, Evac All etc.

This sucks, because playing without a mod to show numeric health values is kinda terrible.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mystic Stylez posted:

Are there any decent class mods available? As in not ridiculously broken, but useful.

Also, re: Jagged Alliance 2 talk a few pages ago, is there a tutorial/basic tips or something like that to it? I own it for years and always wanted to play it, but it seems impenetrable.
There's a JA2 thread that isn't incredibly active but people do check it, so if you ask there you'll get a couple answers: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053233&pagenumber=228#lastpost

Specific advice for a first game:

Don't install the 1.13 mod.

When you make your alter ego merc, I'd prioritize Dexterity, Wisdom and Health and not worry too much about Leadership, Medical, Mechanical and Explosives. You can safely leave Mechanical at 0, it does nothing unless you specialize in it; the rest can be left at 35.

You don't need to hire a medic on day one because you'll get a rebel recruit covering that role immediately, but a mechanic or at least someone to pick locks is very useful. Barry is your best option since he starts out cheap but learns very quickly due to high Wisdom and eventually is both a great explosives expert and good mechanic. If you don't like Barry, you don't have that many options, although Wolf and Red aren't bad, just pretty pricey initially. You'll also get two additional mechanic options a few days into the game, and while both of those guys aren't great, they are cheap/free.
Grunty, Igor, Ice and Blood are the best early hires (apart from Barry) that don't clash with a lot of other mercs imo. There are lots of good options among the cheaper guys, though. And hiring a single more expensive merc for a day to get their weapon is a viable choice if you can get a rifle out of it, although I personally never do it.

The pistols you'll be fighting with early on have poo poo range, so when you enter a sector look where the dense cover is. You may need to move from cover to cover to get a good shot. You'll mostly be fighting in town sectors early on, so use buildings and rooftops to your advantage. You'll have to fight some enemies on the road to the first town to take but should be able to ambush them since a couple of them will be on that road out of cover.
e: It can also be worth going for a night ops squad for those first days. Grunty has the Night Ops skill, Igor is Stealthy and Blood is good with throwing knives, so they work well at night. And the guy you make can even be a Night Ops expert.

winterwerefox posted:

Shen's Tower, and sparks are broken for me. Anyone encounter this? At the tower, it no longer starts to play Julian, or the video where Shen dismisses the 'High Tech 20 years ago' first floor of the factory. if i build a spark in the proving grounds, and level eem up, it doesnt cut to shen's 'Im programming upgrades' video.
No problems during the tower mission, but the upgrades video doesn't trigger for me, either.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 24, 2017

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone have any tips for the second mission (first Guerilla Op; usually rewards first Engineer) on Legend? I am ok getting through Gatecrasher with 3-4 still healthy but I keeping hitting a wall on this first Guerilla Op. Usually the timers feel way too tight, requiring me to Dash early/pop pods almost immediately because I can't waste turns setting up and frequently it likes to drop reinforcements on me while I am still working my way to the objective. I just had a squad wipe because while I was dealing with a Sectoid and 2 Troopers, plus a Lost Swarm it dropped a Priest and 2 Stun Lancers on me.

Re: Crashes I have had several. All but 2 of them have been a crash the moment I click a location to Grapple to. I am mostly running various bugfixes, as well as Numeric Health Display, Detailed Soldier Lists, and Lifetime Stats.

On an unrelated note, I really want to kill the person who decided that the Templar pistol will default to '2' and their Pistol Overwatch will be '3', so many accidental shots when trying to Overwatch.

GB_Sign fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 24, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So I did some poking around on the site for Phoenix Point.

Seems one mission type is dealing with an alien so huge the mission revolves around landing on it and drilling inside to reach a vulnerable part of its internal anatomy where you can poison the thing.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

GB_Sign posted:

On an unrelated note, I really want to kill the person who decided that the Templar pistol will default to '2' and their Pistol Overwatch will be '3', so many accidental shots when trying to Overwatch.
You can use Y to Overwatch, but yeah, I'll never understand why it apparently is so hard for Firaxis to understand that hotkeys should be consistent.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Mystic Stylez posted:

Nope on tutorials, I was completely lost way back in 2000-ish until I realized there was a PDF manual on the disk
http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.1036

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Feldegast42 posted:

It worked and saved my run that I lost a few weeks ago. Jane Kelly and her friends not-Worf and not-Troi ride again!

That is seriously loving exciting! GB_Sign is a good person.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GB_Sign posted:

Does anyone have any tips for the second mission (first Guerilla Op; usually rewards first Engineer) on Legend? I am ok getting through Gatecrasher with 3-4 still healthy but I keeping hitting a wall on this first Guerilla Op. Usually the timers feel way too tight, requiring me to Dash early/pop pods almost immediately because I can't waste turns setting up and frequently it likes to drop reinforcements on me while I am still working my way to the objective. I just had a squad wipe because while I was dealing with a Sectoid and 2 Troopers, plus a Lost Swarm it dropped a Priest and 2 Stun Lancers on me.

If you get any wounded during Gatecrasher, you might as well restart. With proper play you can get through Gatecrasher pretty easily without any casualties and it makes the first mission much easier.The exception here would be if one soldier gets wounded/killed and they are the sharpshooter. Its okay to press forward then because sharpshooters are garbage in the early game. Incidentally, if you do get a sharpshooter don't bring them. A rookie is gonna be more useful by virtue of having an assault rifle and will promote into whatever useful class you are missing. Save the sharpshooter for the inevitable lost mission where their pistol can actually do some decent work.

For the mission itself, I would build a flashbang and put it on your specalist/rookie. The flashbang will be very important if someone get mind controlled by a sectoid. Don't put it on your ranger because they are the best unit for killing sectoids if the person that ends up mc'd is holding the flashbang. Also it can nuke a psi zombie in a pinch while shutting down any other mental bullshit. Don't let the sectoid flank you though, cause even with reduced aim it will still crit and kill your troops.

You're right that the timers are very tight; you should cover the map as quickly as possible. Dash for the first two or so turns since pods usually aren't that close. Use your frag grenades on the early pods if you are gonna be pressed for time. Much like gatecrasher, you still should be leaning heavily on your faction soldier's abilities. Once the objective is secured you can play as safe as possible, but usually you don't have the luxury of actually avoiding all the pods before reaching it.

I wish I could give better advice but that's really it. A lot of it just comes down to calling the right plays and, unfortunately, dumb luck. If you get the reinforcement of 2 lancers and a priest you just lose. There's really nothing you can do about that in the early game and its stupid that it can even happen. I didn't even know you could get lost on the first mission but that just sounds like an instant reset.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
If you are on fire and disoriented, those negative effects go away when you get mostly murdered and end up on the ground bleeding out!
So many bad decisions on this mission, I'm going to restart. I realize now how Ironman really does make this game better. When I play Ironman, I don't do stupid poo poo like I just did in this mission getting my people killed.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

wuffles posted:

Second question: which ones do you like on your sharpshooters? I haven't found any so far that blow me away, since it's a huge boon for them to just take both sides of their default tree and most of the ones I've seen are better/more useful on another class that doesn't typically shoot to kill (e.i. Holotargeting, Shredder).

Run&Gun is probably the 'best'; it outright gives a 3rd action point that cannot be used to move (so like an inverted Implacable). This lets you move your sniper and then shoot as normal.

Rupture is broken and therefore drat good: Like all extra skills, it can't use squadsight, but it only uses one action point, so you can use a normal shot to proc Death from Above, then follow with rupture.

Both of these are slightly redundant with the Chosen's Rifle, but then if you have that who cares about extra skills.

hhhmmm posted:

I had an interesting ironman run going. Commander, beta strike and some other options. Had gone really well so far. Probably 17 hours in or something like that.
Then Windows 10 complained about low memory, killed the xcom-application and now that save is gone.

When will people learn?! Back up your goddamn Ironman saves every few missions. Nobody on the internet will call you out on it. But we will for not having a backup in TYOOL 2017 of irreplaceable data.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Backing up your ironman is mandatory folks. I guaran-goddamn-tee even the most scouts honour ironman players on streams still back up their saves because the campaign situation and story will be unrecoverable otherwise.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Backing up your ironman is mandatory folks. I guaran-goddamn-tee even the most scouts honour ironman players on streams still back up their saves because the campaign situation and story will be unrecoverable otherwise.

What? No. If you don't want to play ironman don't play ironman nobody's going to jump in your window and call you a bad. The game has a built in save system.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Some people may want to play Ironman whilst still not losing their entire campaign if the built in save functionality fucks up and drops the whole lot during a crash. It can happen. Backing up the save every couple of play sessions isn't a bad idea.

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

Finally get a good start in L/I, 3rd mission (faction mission with The Horde SitRep). Make it cleanly to the VIP and pick up his unconcious bodyguard. Bradford goes through his whole spiel but the turret keeps firing and the "Ring" around the VIP doesn't disappear. Start moving back but notice the VIP isn't selectable yet. Reload game, no change. Double back with a couple soldiers to fight through the Swarm and attempt to re-trigger the VIP. Keep running for evac with soldier carrying bodyguard. Evac carried soldier, game doesn't count it as evac'd (Optional objective unchecked). Get VIP, take some hits due to having multiple swarms after activating VIP again. Complete the mission, 3 wounded soldiers, no extra soldier reward. Fix your game Jake.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how much longer until firaxis patches their game

i mean, im not going to stop playing it but holy gently caress do i crash a lot

odd thing is 95% of my crashes are on the first in-mission move i make in the game (the other 5% is getting too much going on during lost missions)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The amazing thing is how many different ways this game breaks. I've never had any issues with lost, the game running fine even when they are flooding the screen and I've mowed down over 50 of them.

Grapple as the first move in the mission? Oh jeez I can't handle that *crash*

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Those sorts of crashes are likely them not expecting a particular permutation and it just straight up crashing due to a bad value access or something. The code is littered with 'we don't have enough time to fix this properly' comments, so it's not real surprising that those breaks happen. They're a real prick to trace because the dev tools are not the greatest, many bugs must be avoided through thoroughness, patience and knowledge, all of which are harder to put in practice when you're on deadline and understaffed.

It's unfortunate really but it is what it is I guess.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there a way to mass evac all your soldiers when they're in the extraction zone? Why are the animations so slow

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there a way to mass evac all your soldiers when they're in the extraction zone? Why are the animations so slow
Use the Evac All mod. Be warned, other posters have noticed that using Quality of Life mods such as Evac All crashes their games.

Oh, so Evac All was the reason why I got more crashes. That's just dandy. Are there any Quality of Life mods that don't cause the game to crash?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Meh, even if the QOL mods do cause an increase in crashes they are too good not to use. The only one I disabled was Another F1 because I seemed to be crashing way more with that installed. Might be a coincidence, but disabling it did seem to help. I already know most stuff so its not like I used it that much anyways.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

A xcom run without Evac All & Overwatch All is a very tedious one. The only QoL I had to disable was New Target Icons. I don't know why but I just kept crashing every turn with that mod.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Or you guys with all the crashes playing without the alternate mod launcher or what? I just finished a campaign with 240+ active mods and got maybe one or two crashes a night maximum, all during battle so the autosave was like a turn ago at most.

Seriously, use it: https://github.com/X2CommunityCore/xcom2-launcher

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Annointed posted:

A xcom run without Evac All & Overwatch All is a very tedious one. The only QoL I had to disable was New Target Icons. I don't know why but I just kept crashing every turn with that mod.

I used overwatch all about once, before I realized that all it does is encourage TERRIBLE habits. Overwatch creep is totally not a thing in this game, and even if you desperately need to do it during an untimed portion, tab-y-tab-y... x6 is just as fast

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I had an updated numerical value mod running, and then one day it just...wasn't?
Tried disabling and re-enabling it in the launcher, but no dice.
There's just no way in hell I'm gonna count that sectopod's health bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Serephina posted:

I used overwatch all about once, before I realized that all it does is encourage TERRIBLE habits. Overwatch creep is totally not a thing in this game, and even if you desperately need to do it during an untimed portion, tab-y-tab-y... x6 is just as fast

Similarly, evaccing everyone is really not that difficult either. 3-3-Tab, 3-3-Tab, 3-3-Tab... You don't need to wait for the animation to finish before you evac the next soldier. (The only hiccup is that sometimes evac isn't on 3, but that's not too difficult to compensate for)

The main upside to evac-all is that it's ~cinematic~, which is absolutely not worth making the game more crashy for.