Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm doing my first WotC campaign and getting used to this fatigue mechanic. Gonna miss being able to run a team of just six people all day every day. What's other people's thoughts on the number of soldiers I should be trying to skill up? I'm finding that a roster of about 15 people is doing me OK in terms of not having to field tired soldiers, but I'm worried about spreading too thin and getting stomped later, or focusing too hard and ending up with too few people later in the game. Is 3 squads worth of soldiers (no sparks DLC) about right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You can feasibly run 12 soldiers if you've got an infirmary up with an engineer staffing. Until then, count on fielding a lot of corporals. With the frequency of missions + running pairs of guys on covert ops, that's kind of how it goes.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It's pretty cheap to have recruits cycling through the gts for a while, too

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

No mods, just vanilla XCom 2.

Your absolute best bet is to do a forced re-check of file integrity via Steam. That screams to me of your bog-standard corrupted file somewhere that's only checked then that got corrupted and slips past Steam on the reg. Everyone gets those eventually. Should fix your problem.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is Shen's Last Gift ever available on sale? It's the only DLC I don't have and I don't think I've ever seen it cheap.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

DLC for most games rarely if ever goes on sale. Holidays, maybe.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
I just purchased xcom:eu on sale, someone was saying awhile back that there were some essential mods new people should pick up. Remind me what those were again?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
None, just play the game. If you ever get tired of it, you can play Long War, which is for masochists.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

whoda thunkit posted:

I just purchased xcom:eu on sale, someone was saying awhile back that there were some essential mods new people should pick up. Remind me what those were again?

EU doesn't have mods really. The only one is the Long War pack because it was incredibly difficult to mod, and you really don't want to play that as a Newbie.

XCOM 2 was much more mod friendly and has steam workshop integration.

That said, they may have been talking about Enemy Within the official expansion. Its really good and adds a bunch of stuff into the campaign.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 16, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Enemy Within, the actual expansion, is extremely good and I'd go so far to say as if you want to play EU, just go ahead and get EW. Modding XCOM1 is possible, but it's a significant pain and I think all the mods out there require EW anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bogart posted:

None, just play the game. If you ever get tired of it, you can play Long War, which is for masochists.

Long War had potential but it listened to the hardest of hardcore types. I played XCOM since the 94 version, and thought it was just a cruel kick in the dick.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I just want the long way infiltration mechanic bolted onto the main game, the covert ops stuff is good not not really the same. I don't like their solution of single squad avoidance, fatigue, nearly as much as long war's infiltration.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Commander's Choice for XCOM 1 is nice, so you don't get like, 3 snipers and a heavy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bhodi posted:

I just want the long way infiltration mechanic bolted onto the main game, the covert ops stuff is good not not really the same. I don't like their solution, fatigue, nearly as much as long war's infiltration.

Personally I vastly prefer the WotC fatigue mechanic over the lovely kludge that was LW2 infiltration.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Zore posted:

Personally I vastly prefer the WotC fatigue mechanic over the lovely kludge that was LW2 infiltration.

I thought Long War 1's fatigue was a perfectly good and reasonable way to get you to use more than just one squad, whereas infiltration was a repetitive nuisance that amplified the annoyance of having to re-outfit your soldiers all the loving time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zoran posted:

I thought Long War 1's fatigue was a perfectly good and reasonable way to get you to use more than just one squad, whereas infiltration was a repetitive nuisance that amplified the annoyance of having to re-outfit your soldiers all the loving time.

Yes. I liked the idea quite a bit, but the infiltration mechanic didn't gel with the UI and individual soldier customization aspect well at all. It ended up being incredibly repetitive just shuffling equipment around.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
All right boys! Bought the Complete Edition during the sale, previously only played Vanilla, no DLC. I've done a legendary run and gotten almost every cheevo (including the bloody 'Who Needs Tygan', gently caress that was boring) Need recommendations on these new fun settings. I'm doing the thread-reccomended settings of new WotC tutorial, Intergrated DLC off but story missions on, but I'm looking kinda greedily at the Advanced options. Beta strike seems amazing (no more alpha striking pods!), but will it break Chosen/Rulers fights? And is precision explosives too much of a nerf when combined with Beta strike? I don't think I could handle grim dawn on my first WotC run. (Commander/Ironman btw)

Mod-wise, I'll probably skip the UI QoL stuff until something pisses me off. I really like Stop Wasting My Time, but am sad that it cuts out voice overs, which are some of the best parts.

Sounds about right?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beta strike doesn't really scale well, if you really don't like the idea of standard health values look for the Delta Strike mod

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'd recommend the UI command colours thing and numerical health counters regardless. Reduces a bit of busywork and player errors without significantly changing the designer's vision of the game. I don't think stop wasting my time is needed any more.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fangz posted:

I'd recommend the UI command colours thing and numerical health counters regardless. Reduces a bit of busywork and player errors without significantly changing the designer's vision of the game. I don't think stop wasting my time is needed any more.

Evac All, Gotcha Again, and Numeric Health Display are 100% day 0 mod installs, Cost-Based Ability Colors is almost on that level

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Overwatch All too.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oof, yea I'm going to need numeric health displays, everything has a kabillion HP with beta strike on. So far it's been epic, lots of drawn-out firefights a la XCom1. I worry that certain 'boss' fights will be farked, and especially the Spark DLC. Didn't someone mention that there are suicide bombers in that mission? I think I'll wait for magnetic first. Certain things, like combat protocol and grenades in general, are now kinda poo poo, but that's cool with me as nades where OP beforehand. I might actually get a psi trooper and not feel like I'm cheating?!

re:mods, I must be the only guy who hate evacall. that extra button on the command strip pisses me off so much. Oh yea, and the performance improvements in WotC is also kinda aggravating - that's really lovely that Firaxis didn't backport any of that.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Speaking of mods, I just eliminated MOCX in my current campaign. Good mod, would recommend.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Do u have to subject yourself to LW2 to use that mod

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Basic Chunnel posted:

Do u have to subject yourself to LW2 to use that mod

No

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

u are a liar !

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Basic Chunnel posted:

u are a liar !

Hrm? There should be three versions up on the Workshop: the LW2 version, the one made for the base game, and the one I focus on updating now: the WotC version.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Exposure posted:

Hrm? There should be three versions up on the Workshop: the LW2 version, the one made for the base game, and the one I focus on updating now: the WotC version.

You're the MOCX guy? Nice job dude, really enjoyed it. Feels like a more dangerous EXALT.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't really see much use for overwatch all really. I'm kinda of the opinion that if you are regularly overwatching multiple of your guys you are doing it wrong.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Exposure posted:

I wanna play with that on, but I cant seem to get it to work, causes instant crash when I try to start X-Com. Its likely my end, im running like 140 mods, and a bunch that likely touch the same files Mocx does. any mods you have found that would conflict with it? Im pretty sure I can eliminate a ton just be the fact their yours in the first place.

Edit: I'm an idiot and was using the vanilla version vs the WotC version. Will it work in a game in progress, or should I just restart?

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 19, 2018

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
So I've got a really annoying issue with multiplayer battles. I'll join the lobby, ready up, and then the countdown will begin, annnnd nothing will happen. It'll just sit at zero until I leave the lobby. Any thoughts? I'm not running any mods.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fangz posted:

I don't really see much use for overwatch all really. I'm kinda of the opinion that if you are regularly overwatching multiple of your guys you are doing it wrong.

It’s fine any time you’re on a mission with no timer. Which is almost no missions pretty much. But if you’re aware of patrolling enemies before they’re aware of you it can set up nice ambushes. Also occasionally useful for Chosen attacks. Very situational though, not enough for me to feel I need an Overwatch All mod like I need Evac All.

Had a fun Alien Facility mission last night where I decided on a lark to send just 2 people. One ran in, planted the charges, the other used teamwork to let her move after planting, and then both evacced out. 3 turns, not a single shot fired, felt like a ninja. I wish that gave the same amount of XP as killing everything (I mean the X4 probably killed everything anyway), but I don’t think it does.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

winterwerefox posted:

I wanna play with that on, but I cant seem to get it to work, causes instant crash when I try to start X-Com. Its likely my end, im running like 140 mods, and a bunch that likely touch the same files Mocx does. any mods you have found that would conflict with it? Im pretty sure I can eliminate a ton just be the fact their yours in the first place.

Edit: I'm an idiot and was using the vanilla version vs the WotC version. Will it work in a game in progress, or should I just restart?

It should work in a game in progress. There might be some funky stuff I've missed while testing but as far as I'm aware I nailed down the last remaining major issue I had in the mod, so it shouldn't be anything too major.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

Fangz posted:

Point blank overwatching the gently caress out of reinforcement drops is pretty funny.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dylan McKay posted:

Point blank overwatching the gently caress out of reinforcement drops is pretty funny.

This really is the only acceptable use of overwatch.

Also parking a pair of bladestom havers next to the flare is a pro move.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm frustrated that the expansion didn't come with a fix for the bizarre melee damage bug where you do a blade attack on an enemy and some unrelated environmental object breaks. I just had one of my squad drop through a roof because of an attack another squad member did on the ground five squares away.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Reveilled posted:

I'm frustrated that the expansion didn't come with a fix for the bizarre melee damage bug where you do a blade attack on an enemy and some unrelated environmental object breaks. I just had one of my squad drop through a roof because of an attack another squad member did on the ground five squares away.

Feature, not a bug

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I really like springing patrol ambushes via overwatching in cover and having them break my concealment on their turn. Then I get a bunch of free shots plus an extra turn though it's really abusing the rules. Carefully leaping overwatch is good if you're in a really shaky situation like going into a chosen fortress undergeared or another mission without a timer. It's also really convenient to make everyone reload after a pod since the 'smart overwatch' mod will reload for you.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Reveilled posted:

That's not a bug, that's the air pressure of your soldier's Hanzo steel obliterating everything around it, thank you
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

So uh with the Bracing skill in MINT (Cannon and Sniper fire no longer uses your whole turn) + Darklance = 12 unbroken darklance shots