Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
lmao the FPS is so loving bad on a computer that should be decimating this game, thank god its not a twitch shooter or anything where it matters, but drat its annoying still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Fojar38 posted:

All these posts about FPS problems using cards that exceed the requirements are seriously triggering me

BETRAYAL

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
FWIW i turned AA down to FXAA and it's around 60 fps now from like 30-40, cutscenes seem to be locked at 30fps (why)

edit: it's still pretty inconsistent and poo poo tho, stuttering all over

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

For those able to play and experiencing bad framerates, is it the result of the game being really graphically demanding or is it just poorly optimized?

Bad optimization. I'm running with SLI 980s and equivalent rest of the computer which is idiot-level hardware for rich manbabies and it still pisses and moans.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
is there a mailing list or twitter i can follow for the first boob slider mod? imho a gross oversight from Firaxis

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a list that exposes all the skills in the soldiers skill tree? Having these hidden so you can't plan is a really stupid design decision that i'm kinda surprised is still in the game after LW.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a way to always be zoomed out (z button)? It says its a toggle, but it's clearly not.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

Mash G, when you're tired of it mash T

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
SMGs are so loving sexy i can hardly contain myself

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
you can dash and still use the "evac" skill

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can you start out on other continents on new playthroughs or is it always America?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Wizard Styles posted:

I'm in India. (Tutorial enabled.)

Tenzarin posted:

XCOM counter strike is coming from Madagascar in my game.

PantsBandit posted:

Your starting point is random I believe.

Cool cool, i just got unlucky then.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
oh my loving god this terror mission has a CINEMATIC CAMERA DESIGN where it constantly wobbles in random directions causing my mouse cursor to go all over the place and sending soldiers to locations out of cover or dashing them, i'm literally sitting here laughing in despair over how something like this makes it into a AAA title made by a experienced games studio

iiidiiiooottts

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleh, doing a LW playthrough before the XCOM2 release was a really dumb idea in hindsight. I find myself just getting annoyed with the game and a little bit bored. A really really REALLY dumb idea.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
lmao loving muton counterattack oneshotted, go kill yourself game, i sure am

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Most wanted mod for me is one that tells me if it will;

A: Be day or night on the mission
B: What color the ground is

so i can have CORRECT CAMO

edit: wow these snow maps look great

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Hahhaha, i just activated a pod from stealth by grenading them while my sniper used Kill Zone to cover the area and enhanced reactionfire every drat alien. The game just stuttered pathetically and then everyone fell over dead in unison.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any of the non explosive grenades useful? (except flashbang, i know thats great from the original) I'm hesitant to experiment and wanna hear what you guys have found out.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I'm really, really tempted by XCOM2, but I always played the first game very slowly and cautiously. Some of the things I've read about the new game's turn limits has me concerned that I'm just going to suck horribly/not enjoy it as much. Am I wrong?

I hate timed missions too in most games, with a loving fiery passion. But FWIW on "normal difficulty", the timelimit is just perfect for me. Long enough to set up some semi elaborate plans, but not so long that i can turtle across the map. Then every now and again you get some missions without timelimits where you can do whatever.

As i said i hate timed mission gimmics, but so far i have never thought "i wish this loving timelimit wasnt there", but more like "this timelimit is kinda okay, makes me play different and hasnt worn out its welcome yet".

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

quote:

Threat Assessment
Aid Protocol now grants the target a Covering Fire overwatch shot, but the Aid Protocol cooldown is increased by 1 turn.

Does this take away the 20+ defence on aid protocol? And does it force the soldier to take a overwatch action there and then? I want to see if i can combo it with the snipers "Kill Zone" ability.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Workshop Gremlins adjacency does not go diagonally, just up/down and left/right for those that are baseplanning :negative:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How difficult are the facility assaults (big red plot icon missions)? Say compared to a XCOM1 base assault.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know which ini that deals with alien abilities? Just caught my first grenade and want to edit that poo poo out like i did with the original.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Triprepot, forcing SLI through Nividia controlpanel did nothing to improve performance :(

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Christ, the bugs are insanely lovely right now. Currently having one where cover indicators aren't showing up at all which adds a whole new layer of "fun".

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Err, my ranger stunned someone with her new special sword, how long does this stun last?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

The number it shows is how many actions they lost, so Stun 1 means they lost half a turn, Stun 4 means they lost two.

There's no number, just a swirly circle icon under their health.

edit: unless you mean the number that popped up when she hit him? i missed that and it was only there for a few seconds

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Heads up people that are installing mods, if you disable a mod you cannot load a save that had it enabled. What mods you install you are stuck with for the entire playthrough, it's really lovely and pretty much the exact opposite of every game i have ever modded.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

VDay posted:

It's like that in a shitload of games and makes sense?

\/\/ They already fixed that. Also if that happens with another mod you can just manually change the name of the folder the mod's in.

I have never modded a game and had uninstalling a mod flat out render the savegame unavailable. If you are extremely poo poo at modding Skyrim you can brick your save, but not have it flat out be unavailable by design in a game touted to be mod friendly lol, give me a break.

Yardbomb posted:

Also have fun if a mod ever changes it's name, some people are saying that free camera rotation mod has pretty much borked a buncha saves now because the mod name was changed some, so trying to load a save that's running off the old name or something causes it to just have a fit and refuse.

Yeah, i had my savegames be unusable for a few minutes cause of that, but i think the OP changed the name back.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

SpookyLizard posted:

You mean unlike the TES/Fallout games by Bethesda, AKA the most moddable games? Because while some of them are okay with taking mods out, it can result ina pile of bugs and Skyrim loving hates you and your entire family if you try to load a save without all the ms enabled.

I'm kind of surprised it's not like "hey are you sure you want to do this?" but i'm also not super surprised. Besides, you should always keep seperate saves as you try out new mods.

Even hilariously anti-mod poo poo like the Frostbite engine (Dragon Age Inquisition) is okay with disabling mods. Don't forget that this game hyped up the modding and being designed for mods almost from the start and then when it's released it turns out that if you change your mind about a mod you have to give up your save, it's hilarious to me that people are trying to defend this haha

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

The Iron Rose posted:

yeah it's super lovely. Fortunately you should be able to simply delete the files inside the mod while still technically "loading" it, for stuff like the free camera mod or various .ini edits. Not sure how that'd work for more advanced stuff however.

Well, that's indicative of that the barrier that makes your savegames unavaliable can be disabled at least, but who knows what havok it wrecks on the savegame.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can you guys help me get better at skulljacking? I gather the techies should be doing it, but i'm having trouble with A: closing the distance without getting shot since techies aren't that speedy and B: figuring out which targets can be skulljacked (i already did the advent leader one, used a ranger with a SMG back then). Heelp.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Do completing these main story missions: Investigate the Codex Brain Coordinates and Investigate the Blacksite Vial Coordinates push back the Avatar Project?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
WELCOME THE VOID

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ok, so Skulljacking again. I have this Skulljack melee ability and the Skullmine ability. I have Skulljacked a Advent Commander ages ago and i can no longer Skulljack them, but the ability still remains so i guess i can Skulljack something else? Or is the skill just a leftover now?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can you keep killing (late game enemy) Avatars (lol they even look like supersayans) to set the Avatar program back? 3 pips backwards was some cool poo poo.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Really starting to enjoy it now, but some things need to be changed/modded for my personal preference:

Bit higher chance to hit in the early game
Flashbangs seem to be almost useless in my experience, need to try to bring them closer to XCOM1:LW flashbangs
Elerium Cores or whatever they were called need to drop more OR the development of things like grenades, heavy weapons and etc needs to be not random, but chosen
Pointblank melee range shots need bigger chance to hit

Can probably fix most of these things myself by ini-diving after this first campaign.

Other than that i'm really hopefully for general convenience mods and mods that give the tactical gameplay some more depth. If JohnnyLump or whatever he was called can release a whole bunch of modular mods to bring it closer to LW, but with the option to not have it tedious that would be great.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

LordNat posted:

Disoriented disables the use of and and active special abilities, that counts clone, teleport, Psi Zombies, Mind Control, that charge attacks Lances can use, etc.

It is amazingly powerful early game and still fairly good late.

That's interesting, wish that information was a bit more obvious ingame, if it's written anywhere I've missed it the almost entire game. I just want flashed enemies to hit my troops a lot less.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Any good advice floating around on how to fill up the ant farm on the Avenger?

With what?

You can hire rookies inside the avenger in a menu somewhere, this took me 50% of the game to find out. You also get them from missions.
Engineers and Scientists you can get from missions or hire them from the black market/resistance HQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Fat Samurai posted:

At 10+ squares it's impossible to see both your dude and the enemy, unless there is something I'm missing (there probably is).

You can zoom out with G and err T i think, that combined with angling the camera has let me see every LOS indicator so far, but it's been finicky sometimes.