Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Magres posted:

Game is good! If you're used to EU/EW or get frustrated if new mechanics surprise you (and screw you over in Ironman Mode) then I'd play on regular your first time, cause a fair few things changed up and the overall gameplay style has changed a fair bit.

I'll second this. The game is amazing, but much more different than I expected up-front. Even on Veteran I called it on my first game and started fresh after making enough, "Oh poo poo, I didn't know X worked that way," mistakes that even reloading wouldn't do much.

I'm looking forward to trying out some mods after my first run-through and appreciate the lists folks are posting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

NTT posted:

Also, a lot of beagle's runs probably go late into the game, when his soldiers have high hit or weapon augments; overwatch becomes a much more reliable tool when your units have captain/major stats. Also, overwatch out of concealment has no penalties, which is why setting an overwatch trap to bust the first pod is good.

Absolutely this. I find that I'm unconsciously using overwatch more now than I did in EU/EW, even beyond the first pod; did they remove the aim penalty?

It's easy to forget how much of a difference the stat increases from promotions make when you've got consistent A and B teams that are all around the same rank. I've been mixing in a squaddie (I love being able to train rookies directly into a class) or two into easier missions and it's jarring how big the difference is even from Sq. to Sgt.

And I also had a reminder that sometimes :xcom: happens to the other side. My (now Major) blademaster got two kills and almost a third when ADVENT reinforcements landed, triggered a shotgun blast on overwatch, and then ran right by him for free melee hits. It was glorious.

I imagined the VTOL pilot getting back home and heading to the SomethingADVENT forums to bitch about how unfair it is that this rear end in a top hat wiped their squad even though they hadn't activated the pod yet.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

It's broken through destructible geometry like buildings but not fixed geometry like terrain, and seems to get worse if you quickload. I've had some levels be fine and others become essentially unplayable unless I can massively outgun the aliens.

Balls, I thought something was really weird about LoS post-patch. I think I'll put the game on hold until this gets fixed or at least make a new campaign to play instead of my, "I'm gonna finish this come hell or high savescumming" run.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
I have a hunch that sword rangers were balanced pretty well; Sgt. Shrooms' constant melee death-charges deep into enemy territory were the linchpins of my entire campaign.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Exposure posted:

Having had time to dig into the SITREPs that'll be available, they're going be the cause of so much grief and awesome moments and will probably end up being one of the things I really love about the expansion pack.

It's a wide gamut of stuff like "oh poo poo that mission's going be tough if I have to go up against an all-psionic force", or "oh hey good thing I built multiple bluescreen rounds for this all-mechanical mission", or "wait, I can make one person into a super soldier for the mission but they're the only one allowed?"

And that's just like, 3 SITREPs out of about 22, there's more inventive ones like Phalanx that seem to be set up so while you face less enemies than normal, you have to deal with only having part of your squad available until the rest can catch up.

I don't know why, but of all the incredibly cool poo poo coming down the pipeline this seems like the best and most ridiculous. I deeply hope there's a chance to send my usual pink-thong clad melee ranger into a mission on Super Sayan N+1 mode.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

A mec shot my templar so hard he died and crashed the game and killed the save.

Sounds like we've achieved maximum :xcom:

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Guaranteed hit is nothing to sneeze at, especially with a shotgun. Sometimes you just need to Ventilate a guy who's halfway across the screen.

IDK if eventually I'll get a better sniper than Godmother and I don't know if I want one. She's absolutely the biggest shitwrecker on my squad right now.

Also, I slowly started to realize that I think this is my favorite XCOM so far. It gets right to stuck-in gunbrawling which is what I love most about these games; just enough to the strategy layer without being too much.

And the fact that they beautifully converted an Alien Invasion into a goddamn buddy-cop procedural? *chef kiss*

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

TheParadigm posted:

For me, I think, I can see where they started down this route: Why NOT just 'skip the early game' and jump right into the part where you're past Rookies and like, actually empathizing and bonding with your soldiers - but instead of make your own fun, give people common ground to like and get invested in the franchise with by using a set cast.

I sort of wonder why they didn't make crits just roll max damage.

Ya, this is the crux of it for me when it comes to how much more strongly the fluff resonates and that changes my tactics. My teams are pretty mobile with maybe 1 or 2 characters hanging back (Terminal and Verge, especially). Everyone else moves a LOT for the purpose of arresting enemies rather than killing them because I'm playing it as if the squad are actually cops whose job is (or should be) law enforcement rather than military.

I agree entirely entirely about Anarchy, though. I set a mental rule to really try and keep it down (again, going back to playing it as if the Squad are cops rather than military); there are no "acceptable losses" here. I do wish there were bigger maps every now and then, too, but that's a bit less intense. The things like intense base management and the Rookie/Squaddie phase in XCOM1/2 really didn't do it for me and I don't mind that they're gone.

Also it's 100% an issue of taste, there's no objectively correct set of components to enjoy more/less than others. I see the difference between XCOM 1/2 and Chimera Squad sort of like the switch from Mass Effect 1 to 2. Cutting out a lot of the traditional RPG cruft made the game quite a bit more fun, but they left enough in that it still felt like an RPG. That's how Chimera Squad feels to me.