Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also worth noting that compound damage in general is pretty janky from what I've seen (via streams, I'm waiting on patches/more mods to stabilize the game). Like you'll see the first 4 damage pop on the enemy, then they'll seemingly get that health back, lose another 4 HP, then once all of the animations are done and the game state ticks forward they'll abruptly be at -8 like they should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

crepeface posted:

I've never played an XCOM at release, but I am supremely surprised at the amount of bugs in this game. I understand how a complex interlocking world of systems and physics like the Elder Scrolls games gets absurd bugs, but how the hell do you make a equipping items in a fairly standard tactical RPG a crapshoot?

It's a budget spin-off title released in the middle of 'Rona. Gonna guess it didn't get a ton of QA time. (Also it's not like XCOM 2 is a super optimized, bug-free foundation to build on either.)

From the sound of things, under the hood the inventory bug is probably a surprisingly minor hiccup or oversight, it's just that the user-facing consequences are real bad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Having a separate faction of outcast Elders who aren't into mass murder and subjugation could work, though.
Integrate The Bureau into canon further. :sickos:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

TheParadigm posted:

For me, I think, I can see where they started down this route: Why NOT just 'skip the early game' and jump right into the part where you're past Rookies and like, actually empathizing and bonding with your soldiers - but instead of make your own fun, give people common ground to like and get invested in the franchise with by using a set cast.

Controversial opinion: I have always found the near-fetishization of the Rookie Meatgrinder really weird.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Der Kyhe posted:

So you are saying that what we got as the third mainline XCOM title in the modern era is riddled with unfinished hatchet-jobs clearly put together from parts that do not fit into the overall original theme or design of the game. How... apocalyptic.

EDIT: it actually fits nicely into the timeline, XCOM2 being "more everything" and definitely much more difficult than XCOM, so by this metric the next XCOM game will be something really esoteric like gardening or flight simulator, and the XCOM3 will be almost finished and then cancelled at the beta testing phase without any explanation. A couple of years later XCOM3: Retry will be announced but will die out even before the first art concepts are leaked.

Later in 2030's someone finds out the buildable beta source of the XCOM3 from an abandoned USB drive, puts it publicly available and we find out it was a basically a mediocre Dead space 3 with XCOM IPR taped over the assets.
It's me, the one person who would be more than okay with a modern Enforcer. :mrgw:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Coolguye posted:

hello friends i just wanted to remind you of something that you may not have realized

remember mo, from nickelodeon guts?

this is dr. moira vahlen.

have a nice day.

:aaaaa:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rochallor posted:

I know that EW didn't really happen, but man was I hoping for some kind of loredump about EXALT in WotC or, failing that, Chimera Squad. Like maybe they were the original generation of troopers, or maybe they got totally betrayed and turned into slush, or something.

I think the generally agreed upon implication is that Exalt more or less still exists/existed, just instead of fully militarizing into a big anti-XCOM force they were the collaborators who greeted their new alien overlords with open arms and kick-started Advent.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zore posted:

The generally agreed on implication is that they're a mixup in the simulation the aliens threw in after a while to get that valuable combat data from the Commander on how to deal with rogue terrorist forces using XCOM tactics.

I mean, I think that's also true as well.

It's entirely possible I have my wires crossed, but ultimately I think the story (for as messy and fractured and largely slapdash as it is) is more interesting if Exalt isn't just a total fiction created for the commander's combat simulations.

And given the hints we get of how the alien takeover worked, they slot pretty cleanly into that, so :shrug:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Torchlighter posted:

The existence of the striped bandana suggest that exalt existed at least idealogically, and it's not hard to slot it in, like you said. besides most of them would have disappeared into the general public by XCOM2, since they basically won.

The easy comparison would be Dr. Breen from HL2. Not hard to believe a bunch of Exalt types got to become overseers of population centers or got a cushy seat on the Council (if they weren't already on it to begin with :tinfoil:) in exchange for handing over humanity to the aliens.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

You found Santa in the workshop? :dadjoke:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I kinda like Enforcer. Don't @ me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Enforcer is ridiculous and kinda funny. It's not a fantastic game, but it's not an awful one, either. It's just a silly little :krad: over-the-top shooter with reasonably decent gameplay.

Yup. It's basically on the same general wavelength as those Alien Shooter games. Nothing super clever or compelling, just alright enough mindless shooting with funky guns and lite RPG mechanics. (Alien Shooter almost certainly holds up better, admittedly.)

Otoh, I 100% unironically love The Bureau and think it's drat solid. Especially considering the amount of development hell it went through.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Parts of it (like the character focus) also feel like a lead in to the Marvel game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:stare: