Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
I finally buckled down and plowed through EW Impossible. I don't recommend it. Unless you feel like losing two countries the first month, you NEED to play with Second Wave "High Stakes" on, and the first abduction reward NEEDS to be six engineers. Then you NEED to sell everything in XCOM HQ that isn't bolted down to buy four satellites and an extra uplink. Pretty much all my money had to go towards satellites, power and workshops the first three months so, so I barely got lasers and the OTS before Confounding Light. Once I had full satellite coverage and could catch up on research I started snowballing, but by september every mission had two sectopods and really, screw that.

RIP in pieces, "Twitch" Sokolova and "Chilong" Zhang, taken out by the Uber Ethereal on the very last turn.

That's uh, that's "Twitch" on the right there :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

If recruiting an entire rave club into the XCOM resistance doesn't make you explode into a raging ball of hate, the season pass containing AC, Shen's Gift and Hunters is 0.01 dollars more expensive than just buying Shen's Gift and Hunters

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

You could also enable the Second Wave option that randomizes abduction rewards, and reload until you get six engineers.

Unless you're playing on Impossible, it's not necessary to launch four satellites in month one. Save yourself the headache.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

Also Hard West is BTA tier in this week's Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/wild-frontier-bundle

Heard mixed things about it except it's XCOMish.
It's kind of janky and has very little in common with XCOM except thé basic framework.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

I was talking about Hard West but thats good to know too.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Phoenix Point hit funding goal, stretch goal is vehicles
Showing off a vehicle in the original pitch, and telling people to pony up 30% extra for it past funding is rich. Not enough to sour me on the game, but still just a bit rich.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

I think the idea is the stretch goal is for implementing them into the tactical fights on top of whatever they were already doing in the game, but yeah that seems real fuckin shifty.

Well surely, but what the heck kind of role was the high-res troop VTOL model from the campaign pitch playing before this?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

The rulers appear to spread their attacks out among the squad rather than attack one single enemy until they're dead, too. At least two times the rulers would attack the closest target (most often a Phantom), and then make an ineffective run back for the rest of the squad.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I think Alien Rulers are cool but having the Viper King show up in the second month on impossible is a bit extreme :regd09:
Are they on by default in LW2 or can you just not do the nest mission as usual?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

The new stretch goal for new Gollop project Phoenix Point is :siren: underwater missions :siren:

...if the fig campaign reaches 240% funding, which, given the time between 100% and 125% doesn't look promising. We'll always have lobstermen, at least.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

I'm ready as heck for X-COM 2: Enemy Vahlen

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

I hope it's not underwater because I really don't think XCOM 2 needs need more mid-to-late game research and upgrade glut

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Regarding an expansion, there's also the fact that there isn't much room left in the Avenger. The bare necessities leave you with what, 2-3 spots for rooms?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Thyrork posted:

The turret room is a joke and the lab barely has a place. The former can be re-purposed while keeping its original function (or just roll turrets during Avenger Defense as a baseline), the latter could be expanded upon perhaps by letting it manufacture implants or whatever new stuff is coming.

All rooms could be upgraded further to add new functionality without it being too intrusive. Heck Shen and Tygan's rooms could also get upgrades.
Those 2 rooms are without Defense Matrix and Laboratory, the third is the Psi Lab/Workshop :eng101:

Let me just say that I don't doubt that they will figure it out, but I'm curious how since there's almost guaranteed to be new stuff. There has to be, right? :ohdear:

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

The sad thing is, it took me way to long to figure out that they were the evolution of the floaters from EU/EW :negative:
ADVENT surveys found that "diesel zombie" resonated poorly with pretty much every focus group in existance. Something had to be done.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

... So no one ever loses anyone on easy? The gently caress am I doing wrong. I always put people in cover and yet every so often someone misses a shot they should have taken and then get killed.
Full cover or bust is a lesson that will serve you well on higher difficulties.

Play some more, lose a lot, try different research paths, figure out how to abuse the enemy AI. Did you know that Sectoids will use a psychic ability more often than they will straight up shoot at you, especially if they're the last enemy alive? A sectoid raising a psi zombie is effectively them wasting a turn.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Moreso than the regular mutons, who have had human DNA spliced to them?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

The Snake is actually easy since if he constrains someone you put as many xcoms as the constrained xcom's health allows on overwatch, then shoot him with the last one

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Pharmaskittle posted:

I guess off the top of my head, fewer enemies, lower move speeds, cover gives a soak value? It's hard to have protracted firefights when you're outnumbered and injuries carry between battles. It'd be a very different game.
Hard West has many of those, including cover with soak value. I think you owe it to yourself to try it if those things are what you want out of a game. It's worth a play for cheap.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Obviously Xcom 2 urges you to play faster but I found the ideal firefights in EU to be over just as quickly. Usually because of rockets. Just rocket and grenade everything because trading shots with the aliens on impossible is a fool's errand. They all aim better and crit more so a prolonged engagement will favor them everytime.
I like both XCOM:EW and XCOM 2 but goddamn if armor isn't an improvement from the EW "I take only half damage and I'm impossible to crit :haw: " sectopods. Anyone saying they could punch through an EW sectopod, er, pod in the same time as an XCOM 2 one is a filthy liar.

Otoh it made for interesting gameplay to rotate Disabling Shots, Supressions, EMP, and smoke grenade to deny the sectopod an above 50% shot over 2-3 turns. Don't have those abilities? gently caress you!
Not very fun but definitely interesting.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

The mods in the thread's OP are the right amount of QoL without being too cheaty. The Overwatch All makes Rulers way easier, and you'll probably die less from EU aim rolls - still, those are pretty minor advantages.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

Hmm, with the Ruler changes in War of the Chosen, does that mean Rulers will no longer react to characters going on to overwatch? This sounds like a pretty good way to get in free hits.
Doubt it, since Overwatch All is an example on how that ruins the ruler reaction mechanic. They've only mentioned reloading and actions out of LOS.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Big Black Brony posted:

So when your dudes end a move on the evac square is there any way to have them not leave? I was doing a rescue mission and had one of the squad move to high cover on a square in the evac. The VIP was about ten squares up from that point still in the van. I couldn't overwatch him, only have him leave. No other acTions for him were available.
Yes, in XCOM 2 your squad doesn't leave until you tell them to. Like some people pointed out, it's highly possible to overwatch, take shots or use virtually any action and still evac out of there because, like the same people pointed out, the turn doesn't end once you're out of actions if at least one PC is inside the evac zone. In fact, when they're out of actions on the evac pad, what happens is exactly what you described. So barring any bizarre unknown bug, you probably gold moved them into the zone.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Speedball posted:

Huh. Did the cheevo for building a SPARK reset?
Not as far as I can tell. The one from Lost Tower doesn't count as building one, could that be it?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

LordNat posted:

They really need a talent that lets them move after firing.
It's in EU/EW, called Snapshot and loving sucks

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

dogstile posted:

That's because it gave you mega penalties. It's weird that it did that in a game where you never really had a timer, so you could just park your sniper in some rear end end corner of the map and he'll do his thing, but its not in this one.
It being up against Squadsight also didn't do it any favours

Edit: Double Tap'd Quote

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Imo there doesn't need to be a XCOM 2 reason for every facility, enemy type or cutscene in EW. Who cares what the reason behind the Newfoundland mission was.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Maluco Marinero posted:

Sure, it's not bad. I reckon it would've been better though if you had something more open ended with a decent sized squad of bandits or something. The Magnificent Seven of XCOM. :)

(Edit: maybe they even have that if I had stuck with the campaign, I certainly never got there though)
Everything comes together in the end, but IIRC 4 is the maximum party size and (e: with a few noteable exceptions) if you lose someone it's restart the fight (or campaign, if Ironman is enabled). The whole part where no one is expendable was a really poor design decision on harder difficulties where it becomes less "adapt to surroundings" and more "learn the map by heart".

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 24, 2017

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

dogstile posted:

With hard west, there was one part that made me give up on it (it was "ok" up until that point). It's a part where you're playing as one guy, you're ridiculously strong and by all accounts you should feel like a badass at that stage, but I got unlucky twice and it makes you do the entire first fight and cutscene again every time you die, so I refunded it.
How? If it's the one I'm thinking of, get into full cover and you should be nigh unstoppable. Sure, the enemies will hit you once per turn for piddly amounts that you'll regenerate during your turn, then fan your revolver to kill them one at a time.

What ruined Hard West for me was that it took forever to kill something, anything (unless you had the fate trader Gear). Your best bet was to hide in full cover and fan a revolver for 2-3 turns. Enemy-Only Overwatch actively discourages flanking, too. It had a lot going for it but I'd have preferred less but more focused instead of the nine(?) different strategic layers across the campaign and DLC. I really liked the strategic layer in Scars of Freedom though.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

So this happened.

Julian: Allow me to introduce you to one of ADVENT's more effective des-
Major Rattle: :killdozer:

Yes, that is Julian activating.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

2game.com has War of the Chosen for €30.50, with a possibility for another 5% with the coupon "ISTHEREANYDEAL". However, the key is :siren: Region Locked :siren: and will not work in China, the US, Canada, Australia and NZ, what looks like all of Latin/South America and some Asian countries including Bangladesh, Pakistan, China, Japan and Indonesia.

Also, MAJOR caveat emptor - I bought The Sexy Brutale, The Bureau and X2:WoC and didn't recieve any of the keys once the deal was finalized. After I got on customer support with Chris who pretended to be Charlotte, they managed to get my Sexy Brutale key, but no Bureau yet. This is your warning about 2game.com.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Bogart posted:

So, uh, don't use 2game.com, sounds like what you're saying.
More or less, I got WoC cheap (maybe? we'll know in a month) but the hassle wasn't worth the €2 or whatever I saved.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

You may want to start the chargeback procedure now if they aren't giving you keys,
War of the Chosen doesn't release in a month so I don't think I'll see it before then. I knew this going in, it's clearly marked at the store page. I'll hassle ChrisCharlotte tomorrow about Bureau but for now I'd advice anyone looking at 2game to get their games elsewhere.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

I want to say Rulers are gated behind game time, because if I wait till I'm in Plasma to do the Nest they 100% show up in every mission after. Take one down, the next one shows up next mission like clockwork. Maybe the opposite is also true, like the berserker queen and archon king won't show up before a certain date?

Anyway the change to Rulers I'm the most OK with is the no-reload-reaction because I can now stop putting autoloaders on everything!

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Its based on Force Level, not time (which is what controls what enemies show up and doesn't correlate 1:1 since it can be affected by missions you do etc)

So each of them starts showing up a little after their base variant does; VK after sneks, Berserker Queen after Berserkers and AK after Archons.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up!

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Now I want an XCOM that involves wizards :argh:
Please don't encourage Junpei

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

That's probably because of the "one roll" system XCom 2 uses. In Enemy Unknown/Within, there were two rolls--one to hit, one to crit. For 2, they are the same roll, so if something has low odds of hitting you (because you were smart and got in good cover), then if it rolls a number low enough to hit that number is almost certainly also low enough to fall under the crit number.
It's a bad system. 5er, there's a mod called "EU Aim Rolls" that mod in the 2 rolls. It's the only mod that makes the game easier I'm not in the slightest ashamed to use (well and Overwatch All but there are three occasions where that's more "advantage" than "convenience")

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

I tried to pose my soldiermans in the Propaganda Center Photobooth, but after I save a poster, it looks like it immideately deletes it from the requisite folder on my hard drive. Has this happened to anyone else and how did you solve it? I'm using the default C:/Users/Me/Documents/MyGames/XCOM2 Propaganda Center/XCOM Game/Photobooth path.

EDIT: Might be avast antivirus. can't check now.

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 23, 2017

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I tried to pose my soldiermans in the Propaganda Center Photobooth, but after I save a poster, it looks like it immideately deletes it from the requisite folder on my hard drive. Has this happened to anyone else and how did you solve it? I'm using the default C:/Users/Me/Documents/MyGames/XCOM2 Propaganda Center/XCOM Game/Photobooth path.

EDIT: Might be avast antivirus. can't check now.
Hackers don't read this
|
|
|
|
V

Ok, so it was Avast pulling tricks. I couldn't find the specific issue, but I disabled it for 10 minutes and could save photos to disk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

I'm trying to finish the achievement for completing a game in four in-game months before jumping into War of the Chosen, and it's kind of poorly thought out. Expect to beeline for story missions, and that you need to spend probably a full 4th of the time researching shadow chamber projects. If your very first scan reward isn't an engineer, you're going to be left behind. If there isn't a power coil on the third level of the Avenger, you're going to have a bad time. Several times I've realized that I shouldn't have built that extra conduit as I don't have the money for an essential upgrade anymore. I'm almost through May and it feels like the race against time is just now letting up, so I started building a GTS! And because a GTS is unlikely early, you'll be locked to a 4-man squad.

At the same time, I appreciate how it's making me change up my playstyle. I didn't take Phantom and Conceal because I can't have a fourth of my away team out of the fight half the time by May-June. Grenadiers go down the gunnery tree because I need the damage + holotargeting more than the explosions, even moreso when you can't upgrade to plasma grenades or the upgraded launcher. I've been putting Hair Triggers on my guys' weapons even if I have other mods. It's a different experience for sure.