Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Xcom is made in Unreal Engine so…the only thing lacking is will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Yeah, that's how Long War 2 worked (at least initially). A squad would frequently be tied up for a month on a single mission from the infiltration windup and the fatigue cooldown. It fulfilled the goal of "make the player use more squads", but the strategic decision-making wasn't any more complicated. It was just tedious imo.

Covert Actions were added in WOTC to do something similar with less busywork.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There's also the fact that as you get more powerful and gain more abilities/equipment, its way less common to be shot at, period. Let alone be wounded; let alone take casualties.

Nu-XCOM eventually becomes something like Into the Breach where the enemy only gets to move if you make a mistake.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Coolguye posted:

lmfao i have never seen this put better

I like the concept of wearing their skin as a fancy ballroom dress, but the execution leaves something to be desired.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Yeah... Mutons are a similar trap.

Melee is a trap in general unless you have 100% certainty you won’t trigger another pod. Hope they fix that next game. I hate having to bite my fingers every time I reveal a square of FOW.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

reignofevil posted:

But you know what does all of that AND they can't move and shoot on the same turn?

My favorite status effect: Death.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Better Repeater is a goddamn dirty lie. Insta-killing Chosen is extremely hilarious balanced and I will brook no arguments about this :colbert:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There’s a Restart level console command. You have to enable the console from the Steam launch options

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Kris xK posted:

So it's basically Fire Emblam?

it’s more like “Fire, Blam ‘Em”

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Seems more like they’re making Freedom Force 3 than anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Panzeh posted:

A little bit frustrated now in the newer X-piratez updates- they added a lot of activity to the ninjas- they build bases and these bases create air defense zones, making you have to get into air combat a lot sooner than it used to be. Having a fun playthrough but i hope they don't end up being too much of a problem.

There are some fun additions- a reward for skipping out on the codex dropships, several, actually, including an alternate route to cydonia. Also a new recruitment path to buff peasants. I'm not sure peasants are still an amazing long term solution as their strength never gets that high, and they don't really have a power armor equivalent, but we'll see.

They do get medic armor ripped outta StarCraft which is very effective.

The ninjas are so ridiculously OP that it feels like you’re playing as the enemies in someone else’s game of X-Ninjaz.