Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So I got this on summer sale a while ago. Started on Commander and been enjoying it a lot, and I think I've gotten a good handle on the mechanics now. Kinda tempted to restart into a Legend/Ironman run now, any notable QoL mods that are recommended or a must have to make the experience smoother? I already have the Extended Information, AoE Preview, F1, and Detailed Soldier List mods so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

But honestman doesn't give me an achievement to satisfy my monkey brain :v: Could Steam Cloud serve as a backup? Like I could pull out my ethernet cable as soon as I crash...? I read online people suggesting to keep a backup save at the start of each month as well, I guess I could do that even if that kinda goes against the spirit of things a little bit.

Anyway after a few restarts I got through the first few missions, got my first casualty at Lost and Abandoned already. Though at least it was a rookie, that I did try to use as a bait. Not sure how to fully avoid that from happening. Hope you get lucky and the Reaper spots the Assassin?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

binge crotching posted:

Sprint your reaper down to the bottom asap, and then on the second turn do a blue move toward the alien canister thing. You are basically guaranteed to reveal the Assassin that way.

Ah okay. I did drop the Reaper down to that front area but I was scouting the left and right area instead :v:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

So uh, I'm in April and the Hunt XCOM Dark Event just went through. How screwed am I?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

reignofevil posted:

Depending on which one you got (WoTC added the Wild Hunt dark event) either you have a 50/50 chance of being shot down and needing to blow up an alien device (preferably with a conceal ranger and sniper combo) or you are gonna face more chosen on more missions for the month, in which case you will probably be fine.

It's the former, the one with the UFO roaming around. I only have 2 continents unlocked so far so I don't think I can do maneuvers to prevent the UFO from catching me on the map. So it's kinda cheeseable? I also read that it's most likely gonna make around 10 of your squad tired or injured though, and I don't have that many soldiers right now - only about 15 or so.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Almost three weeks in without the UFO catching me, fingers crossed. Even if it's a manageable fight it would really suck if it happens right before a retaliation strike and my best soldiers get wounded or something.

Also, is there a mod that lets me see my soldiers' current XP mid-mission? The Extended Soldier List mod only lets me see it in the armory; I have a Sergeant Ranger sitting at 39/40 kills to get to Lieutenant, which kinda sucks since I'd potentially be able to fish for a Captain promotion through covert actions otherwise.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Does Mindshield block the "Fear of X" negative traits from proccing? Google is giving me conflicting info

E: Also does it block panic from sending out Tired soldiers for that matter

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 1, 2020

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

wuffles posted:

Yes, at least on the first one. Never tried it on the latter, but probably.

Okay great, thanks. The Assassin thought it would be very funny to inflict Fear of the Chosen on three of my soldiers I was about to send on a Resistance Mission with 100% Hunter appearance rate.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Huh. I'm on said mission and the Hunter didn't show up. I'm pretty sure this is the 4th, or even the 5th mission I've done in his territory.

The game didn't bug out because I evac'd out of the mission he first appeared, did it?

E: nvm he appeared on the next, must've miscounted

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 1, 2020

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah he got Kinetic Plating and Low Profile in mine :v:

It does feel like I'm just waiting for him to gently caress up and move closer to me voluntarily - if he had just kept staying at range and taking rifle shots there's not a lot I could actually do.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah currently at least I find Hunter to be the trickiest one to face; I used to hate Assassin the most but once I've learned how to flank and spot her (and remember to bring a battle scanner) she's not really that bad. Warlock is mostly neutered by Mindshields. With Hunter I feel like you're kinda forced to lure him out, and luring him out involves risking him getting a shot in. And on a "neutralize all enemies" map you can't just leave him in his corner either.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Note to self: Empty buildings aren't necessarily safe hiding spots because sometimes they have glass ceilings. And then you pull three pods at once.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Assassin down, with not a moment to spare :toot: I think this run is in a good place.

A Reaper using Banish on a Brittle Assassin is a thing of beauty.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

:raise:

...That's XCOM?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

wuffles posted:

I could be misreading it but, if you’re covered in acid or poison, and you didn’t get affected by it, sometimes you can just not move until it fades and walk away unscathed.

Same for fire. You can prematurely hunker down if every move would put you on fire, and take no burn damage if the original attack didn’t burn you. I think you will still take damage so far as your injured status is concerned post mission, but during the actual mission you will not be hurt.

Nah, the acid cloud was just something off to my guy's side. It was more that the MEC was right in front of him but he couldn't shoot at it (but weirdly enough, I could Overwatch and shoot it on its turn)

The MEC was on a roof and I rocket launcher'd the area to drop it, so maybe the game just put it in a limbo between height levels or something

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Low Profile Sitrep on a guaranteed Warlock spawn :lol:

Why is Low Profile even a thing in the late game, at least make the rank ceiling scale with time or something. I guess I technically could have tried to prepare for this since I got the Live Fire Training continent bonus, but this also just looks like a questionable bit of game design to me

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah now that I have a good amount of Colonels the game kinda feels like just going through the motions now.

Also the fact that Guerilla Ops can just straight up give you a Colonel is kinda nuts.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Proximity Mine breaks the Reaper's Shadow when triggered? :psyduck: ...Why?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

It's done :toot:

I'm glad I managed to keep my 4 OG soldiers to the end and bring them to the final mission (plus a Reaper and a Templar), it was a nice bookend to the run. I've got to say the final battle was a little disappointing though, the Chosen or the Alien Rulers felt more like a proper boss fight than fighting three slightly durable enemies who aren't even immune to CC, but I suppose it was more meant to be a victory lap than anything. Also I'm sure this has been said already but like. Reapers are way, way too strong; the fact that they're perfect scout units already kinda break the game's difficulty imo, but they also have the Claymore, Remote Start, and Banish. I felt like missions where I got to bring a Reaper were nearly unloseable. The only limiting factor was that I couldn't use the one free Reaper continuously, but then you could recruit another one, so...

e: Oh also, Bluescreen Rounds are kinda wack

Still, I enjoyed the game a lot, even if the challenge tapered off by the end. Looking forward to XCOM 3, whenever that comes. Maybe I'll check out Chimera Squad too in the meantime.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 14, 2020

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

So uh, how's Long War 2? I did some searching and it seems like the general opinion here was that it's not very good

I don't hate the idea of more classes (even though there looks to be a lot of overlap between the classes' roles, and they're apparently also poorly balanced) but the whole infiltration mechanic sounds like extraneous tedium for one.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I guess that's fair enough.

e: Nvm I got Chimera Squad instead :v:

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 16, 2020

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

From what I saw they apparently disabled the Chosen as well at the moment since they haven't figured how they want to balance them yet, and it'd feel weird playing War of the Chosen without the actual Chosens. I think they disabled the headshot mechanic for the Lost as well, which if they didn't balance them to be easier to kill, sounds like more of the typical "hard for the sake of hard" design decisions.

Anyway, Chimera Squad looks like bite-sized XCOM but each encounter feels super dense. I don't know if it's my starting picks (Claymore/Blueblood/Shelter/Patchwork vs Sacred Coil) but Impossible feels more challenging than even some Legend WOTC maps at times, though granted they're different beasts. Patchwork mind controlling an Android or Turret nearly every map feels like a huge advantage and yet there still had been close shaves. I'm loving it though.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Sacred Coil's final mission holy poo poo :stare:

I don't know how I'd have done that without Patchwork.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

:getin:

Blueblood and Shelter is a fun combo.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Beat CS. Shelter was a lot of fun if really weak to start with, Blueblood's just nuts all game, but I've gotta give the MVP award to Claymore and his double Motile Inducers.

I didn't know you couldn't get all 11 agents and left the melee-focused ones "to last", who all also happened to be aliens and hybrids, so my "Chimera Squad" looked unfortunately tokenistic. :v:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Wound duration variance is pretty big iirc.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I took both Suppression and Demolition on different Grenadiers to compare them, but I don't think I ever really ended up using either. That said I think you need to have messed up quite a bit to get into a position where Suppression is actually "useful", whereas Demolition I can see having edge cases if you've spent your grenades and still want to remove some cover, even if it means rolling an 80% chance.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Acid/Burn from grenades can effectively bypass it (I think, I don't remember if the DoT applies before or after units act). You can also hug the Priest with a Bladestorm Ranger. Overwatch won't necessarily work if the Priest doesn't move before attacking, but it's a decent bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

City of Heroes XCOM sounds pretty rad tbh