Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Haven't been keeping up with this thread, have really been enjoying Chimera Squad and popped in to catch up, saw a lot of posts about frequent crashes and thought how weird it was since I hadn't had a single crash yet.

The game crashed on me 30 minutes later :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

Well this is a new bug.
Anyone run this with a 2 monitor set up? While the game is running it locks everything to the resolution of my smaller, low res monitor and stretches them like a single screen.

Which could look cool, except the whole completely differently sized and resolution drop to 1080p on top of a giant gap in the middle of all the menus

I started that way, wanted to play with a controller like I did with XCOM 2, but the UI looked really weird and nothing reacted properly. I'm still using two monitors but switched to my smaller desktop monitor to play KB/M instead of the bigger screen I have set up for gaming, and it runs fine that way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shoenin posted:

So do we get to use more than 4 Chimera squad dudes eventually?

I haven't finished the game yet, currently on the third faction, but doing missions and working on the city map unlocks choices of new soldiers to add to your squad. I think it maxes out at 8 and you need to do multiple playthroughs to get to play as everybody.

Edit: unless of course you are asking if we get to send 6-person squads into the field, in which case no I don't believe you do, unless you count robot back-ups in case of injury.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just unlocked Blueblood's final skill. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but he gets to just shoot every single person within his line of sight? :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shoenin posted:

I got to the serpent coil cathedral mission.
What the gently caress is this?

Literally just ragequit on the second level of that. I brought entirely the wrong squad and gear it seems, even though they'd easily cleared through everything before now. It's just so many loving enemies and status effects and after my 4th time with a full wipe after only managing to wipe out two-thirds of them I knew I needed a break.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't have Claymore so no luck there, haven't researched Masterwork Armor yet either.

Stupid question maybe but can I just leave the main storyline missions alone? It always struck me as odd that I'd get those gold missions pop up at the same time, I just kinda assumed that once the purple missions became active you were supposed to do them immediately. If I could go gear up a bit more would be nice, but I do have Axiom, Blueblood and Terminal available as well as a motile inducer.

Cherub and Verge have been my MVPs all game but Verge was on a Spec Ops mission when this one kicked off, and Cherub seems to get trashed almost as soon as I make it through it to the second part of the map. I had been using Torque, Axiom, Terminal and Cherub as my current squad, and Torque and Terminal both seemed to last the longest each time. I'll slap on extra armor, drop the tranq ammo I've been using all game in favor of armor piercing, and switch Torque with Blueblood since her crowd control poison is ineffectual against the zombies the gatekeeper raises or the MEC.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Awesome, I'm gonna go away and get real strong and them come back and kick sand in THEIR faces :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Switching out the tranq rounds and exchanging Cherub for Blueblood did the trick, I managed not to lose anybody and take down Sacred Coil with only one wave of reinforcements. Felt good... felt drat good!

The best part about the "take a well-deserved night off!" message is that as soon as I got back to base I was greeted with a message that I had a mission that MUST be completed today :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shelter's soulburn appears to ignore armor I think? I've noticed that I've been able to do way more damage than I expected to a lot of things with him using that. His teleport is also very handy for those missions where you have to prevent enemies from activating a device or escaping, since they can make it to their spot and then you can cause them to be on the opposite side of the room AND get to take a shot at them or anybody who was also getting near the activation/escape point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Beat the game, I assume to get some of the "get every soldier" "get everybody up to max rank" achievements etc you have to do another playthrough and the game keeps track of what you did on other playthroughs?

Also, this is such a fun game and reminded me I really need to get around to playing War of the Chosen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

to which Axiom replied "I guess that helps" despite not being on the mission?!

I had a great number of missions where squad members would get hit and Cherub would shout,"NO! HIT ME INSTEAD!" which was very touching considering he often wasn't on the mission at the time :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Started a new playthrough, selected Zephyr who I never used last time. She just runs straight in and starts wailing on dudes at the start of each mission, it's the best :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

I am extremely salty I didn’t get the muton dude, but Zephyr is a pretty good consolation prize. Handing out debuffs and pinballing around the room with Australian gene-spliced kung fu is a lot of fun. I just wish you could get weapon upgrades for her.

Yeah I unlocked close combat and watching her just kicking the poo poo out of 4 enemies was a hell of a thing.

Also got the interaction where she accuses Shelter of being angry at her because his face keeps turning red whenever she's around :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I got the Extra Hours Achievement but I'm still not entirely certain exactly WHAT I was supposed to do. The wording made it seem like I needed to kill somebody the same turn I activated it, then when it pops back to Godmother a couple turns later kill somebody again. I tried that and it didn't work, so I looked it up online and people were saying I had to kill somebody on both her moves on the third turn, but I hosed that up when Zephyr spin-kicked some fool while he tried to run past her... but then the achievement popped anyway when I killed the last enemy on the level so :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I did Sacred Coil second this time around and doing Progeny last feels almost like I'm bullying the poor bastards.

Also I haven't seen a single grappling hook breach yet, which is apparently the last one I need.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

That room made me wish I had Blueblood to just Faceoff against all of the Psi Zombies. Instead, I have Verge with the gun that lets you Reaper and enough aim and just gen them all down.

My second playthrough I took Zephyr to that mission. Her running in and beating the poo poo out of all of them, then using Lockdown as they tried to move past her and killing them outside of her own turn ruled.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One of the bank missions (maybe all of them?) has a portrait of a Muton executive and their cat :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Do grappling hooks exist in this game? I'm on my third playthrough (no great imposition, the game rules) and I still haven't got the "I'll let myself in" achievement, and a number of lists online claim there is a grappling hook breach, but I haven't seen a single one so far and it is the only thing I can think of that I am missing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jabor posted:

Keep an eye out for missions with a potential "Skylight" entry point.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Theres a lot of missions where you're hanging off a roof and come in through windows? Unless somehow you never got any of them!

I've done both of these and still don't have the achievement! The skylight stuff they're just standing on the roof and then they jump through the skylight. The hanging off the roof is a rappel breach, isn't it? I've done multiple instances of that too.

This is the list I found:

- Door
- Side Door
- Main Door
- Keypad Door
- Security Door
- Grapple Hooks
- Ladder
- Rappel
- Skylight
- Vent
- Wall
- Window
- Side Window

I've seen every single one of them apart from the grapple hook. It just feels bizarre that I'm three playthroughs in and have seen every other breach multiple times but never grapple hooks once.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Welp, thanks to the law of Bitching About It Online, I finally got a grapple hook breach pop up and cleared the I'll Let Myself In Achievement. All I have left now is the timeline, scavenger market and melee achievements which should be straightforward enough. I love the game but I'm not sure if I love it enough to do the Impossible Difficulty achievement.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Prepping for an Impossible Run just to see if I give up the moment I hit a wall, what would be considered the best starting team? I figured Patchwork, Blueblood, Verge and Godmother for a mix of damage, range and crowd-control but as a team they seem like they'd be pretty fragile, would it make more sense to go with something like Godmother, Axiom, Claymore and Cherub?

I also figure I'll go with Sacred Coil first since they're the toughest and if I can get through them it should be smooth sailing from there, but am I setting myself up for instant failure?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Sacred Coil members can regenerate health."

They can loving WHAT!?! :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

On my third run I did Grey Phoenix last and Xel killing herself to stop the now aborted take-off from destroying the city is a hell of a gutpunch. They just wanted to go to a home that probably doesn't exist anymore, they held no real malice towards the Earth :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm up to the final mission of my Impossible Run and yeah Patchwork has been an MVP. Everybody is scarred the gently caress up and I came dangerously close to max anarchy quite a few times before getting it under control, but I think I might make it through this. Zephyr does get a little squishy but her Parry move eats up offense from the enemies and Terminal can keep her up, which leaves Blueblood and Patchwork free to use their crowd control and wipe them out.

Of course watch me completely fall apart on this last mission now and not have what it takes to finish the game off, because I am desperately short of money/intel/elerium and have been recirculating all my gear/upgrades around basically the same 5 soldiers all game, with one max rank doing unrest Spec Ops, two low level guys in the assembly and a constant rotation in training.

Edit: I did it! Zephyr got KOed but the others pulled through by the skin of their teeth. Awesome game but man I am done now. What a great game, I'm starting to suspect I may have gotten by :10bux: worth.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 1, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cherub and Verge are really good on normal difficulty but I found going any higher than that they really struggled to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Psion posted:

also in Chimera today I learned that Shelter has a thing for Zephyr and of course they found out in the most embarrassing way possible. thankfully, as professionals, it never came up again :v:

Her declaring she understands human emotions and thus has figured out he is angry with her is great.