Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So do you miss out on the loot an alien dropped if it's dropped by the last one you kill or if you kill the last one before the timer runs out? That's the impression I'm getting and it's kinda bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Like corpses, if it's around when you finish a "kill everything" mission, it is automatically picked up. If you want it on an evac mission you will have to grab it yourself, though. And don't forget it explodes after the timer is up.

Yeah, that's how it's supposed to work but both times it happened to me so far I just had 1-2 Elerium Cores in the loot section, whereas I usually get a couple more thingamajigs when I've looted it during the mission. It's making me paranoid.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So how long does the Viper's poison tick for?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So is there a mod thread yet?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Anyway, here's my idea for a mod.

I'm Russian. There is no Russian voice pack in XCOM 2. I am actually cool with this - I didn't like the voices they recorded for the first game. On the other hand, it would be nice not to have everyone speak like they're from US/UK. I think a good compromise would be to record some voice packs of people speaking English in lightly accented catch-all regional accents.

To my ear there isn't much, if any, discernible difference between, say, Russian, Lithuanian, Polish, Czech and Serbian English accents and I've heard a lot of these in my life. You could really cover most of Eastern Europe with a generic Slavic Accent voice pack. Likewise, I think you could get away with Middle Eastern, Sub-Saharan, South Asian and Latin American packs and cover a lot of potential recruits, giving them some flavor. Not sure about Asia - in the East Asian region Japanese and Chinese accents do sound a little different to my ear and I have little experience with South Asian accents. The major Western European languages are already covered by Firaxis, but it would be nice to get alternate Accented English options anyway - but I suspect given that a lot of the playerbase lives there, that will happen anyway.

Bruceski posted:

Extraction missions are really the bane of bringing a sniper, since they still need to get across the map. Once you learn which missions have that factor it can be worked around, though.

I dunno. Usually I manage to set up in the first couple of turns, then shoot poo poo hard halfway across the map, then double-time it to the exit. I've done extractions with, like, three snipers in the team.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I am pretty sure hacking is bugged somehow. I've done like twenty hacks in a row where the best result had a ~60% rate of success and never got it once. I only managed to get one once, early in the game, so I suspect something you pick or are given, perhaps the skulljack, is to blame.

Also, if you start off the combat with a Haywire, the bot in question first activates and does the usual pod activation running thing and only then shuts down.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So is there a mod or something which makes the Infirmary shorten the rest periods for Tired/Shaken or something? It's kinda ridiculous right now. Going out on a mission while being kinda crampy - two week's stay in the psych ward. Making your dudes jump on a grenade the last turn of a mission to avoid it - two days' stay in the infirmary and then they're good to go.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd recommend going straight for XCOM 2 with the expansion.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I enjoyed this new XCOM trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMgzvpqzdTU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
My game freezes during the opening cinematic after I press New Game. Walp.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Technically, they might actually be modulating their freaky alien voices to sound more 'normal' to fit in with the humans.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A fun little mod idea: A 'choose four random agents' button at the Choose Your Team screen at the start of the new game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

sincx posted:

I think this is the first time any video game of note has been set in Pittsburgh.

Left 4 Dead starts in Pittsburgh. And there's a DLC for Fallout 3.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver posted:

A fun little mod idea: A 'choose four random agents' button at the Choose Your Team screen at the start of the new game.

A quick random generator for those who already beat the game and want to try this:

https://perchance.org/3xsp0a0hsc

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
When Atlas Reactor came out and immediately cratered, it did make me realize that a XCOMlike tactical game, but with hero shooter/MOBA style unique heroes would work great. Seems I wasn't the only one.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

This game is really good, way too good for $10 despite all the jank. But more than anything else it's convinced me that I want a Mass Effect/Witcher 3 style epic RPG with established characters and X-Com combat. Why hasn't this happened yet? This style of combat is such a better fit for RPGs than lackluster 3rd person action.

Have you played Shadowrun: Dragonfall & Hong Kong? They're pretty close. (Skip Shadowrun Returns, it's not very good.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I think ultimately the reason this game came out of nowhere and for so cheap is because of Corona. It was never gonna be a big budget title but I think they could of sold it at a higher price with some more polish and marketing work. However a reoccurring theme with, well, everything is that the pandemic grinding work to a halth is forcing a lot of places to cut corners and put out whatever content they have before work falls apart even more. My guess is this game was mostly done but if they had more time they could polish out a lot of the oversights, bugs, and general weirdness.

Gears Tactics being about to come out is most likely a major, perhaps the major factor. This would be a lot harder sell after that game's release.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Gears reviews are coming in:

https://opencritic.com/game/8784/gears-tactics/reviews

Seems solid, looking forward to giving it a go.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I like the implication that humans no longer consider it music

I think that's just a xeno talking smack for fun.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

There's a story behind this that I'm sad I'll never get to learn. :allears:

I wouldn't mind playing an RPG in the Chimera Squad Earth's setting.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well, the Reapers are roasting a Chryssalid head on a spit in their introduction in XCOM 2.

So it's canon they're human-edible and, quite possibly, good eatin'. And hey, we've bred chihuahuas out of wolves and that was before gene-eng. They might just bred delicious, safe-to-farm 'lids.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

Lots of things are technically human edible given the right sort of preparation and just because it's edible does not mean it tastes good.

Doesn't mean they aren't, either!

I bet they taste like delicious crustaceans.

quote:

Maybe Fellowship where each sheet represents a different species?

Ehhh. An XCOM game without fun tactical combat would be unfortunate, so I'd probably try something like Strike! and fall back to Savage Worlds if that didn't work out.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The SA Strike! thread, for reference. It's a neat 4E/PbtA hybrid:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758699

(The author is a goon.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
"Call it an Autonomous Personnel Carrier all you want. We jammed a modified ADVENT MEC brain into the front of an axe head, jacked it up, and tacked on GPS. -Chief Lily Shen, XCOM internal memo"

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I was going to grab this while it’s still 50% off but was wondering if it’s worth starting right now or waiting a month or two for any bugfixes? I heard there’s a lot of bugs/crashes including a gamebreaking one but didn’t follow up on whether any patches have come out yet.

It's really fun even with most bugs, but there's a gamebreaker so I'd wait for at least the first patch.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

It'd be annoying but also neat if some enemies didn't panic when hit with a sticky but instead charged you.

They sometimes do.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't have one yet. Haven't seen it in the scavenger market at all. It might have been a mission reward, but I must have taken a different mission.

What does it do?

You throw it like a grenade at an ally and the ally gets two free actions immediately. It's pretty insane.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

Anyone who has played a bit of the game with Shelter, Patchwerk and Blueblood? Can I ask what their top level 5 day training unlocks are? Just curious cause I finished the game today and started another one with those 3 since I didn't use them at all in my first playthrough.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/04/23/xcom-chimera-squad-agent-builds-every-squad-members-role-explained/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is an even weirder decision for this particular game because it's not as if they had some sort of grand marketing plan that leaks might have disrupted. They didn't even announce the game until a few weeks before it came out!

I think they just don't have a lot of experience doing the story side of gamedev, being primarily a systems-y strategy dev. Remember how bad the writing in Civ: Beyond Earth was? Ooof.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

Anyone know what the Every Timeline, "Complete all versions of each Faction's Takedown mission over multiple campaigns." achievement means? The Takedown missions is the last mission where you fight the bosses of the factions but AFAICT there's only been one choice. Do they mean the two different Dark events that you can choose alters the Takedown mission? I can't remember which ones I chose so will it tell me I've done one or the other?

Apparently there's like five stages for each faction Takedown and you do stages 1-3 for whichever faction you do first, 2-4 for the second one and 3-5 for the third one.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

GuavaMoment posted:

Once you beat the game you can look at "meta content" while choosing which factions to go after, and while in the scav market.

It's also a button during the agent-picking screen when you start a New Game without the tutorial.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I dunno, on Normal at least I've had zero issues with just methodically retreating towards the exit while shooting/overwatching at the incoming enemies, then leaving when there is an opportunity for everyone to leave at once.

Also, don't forget you can just move your dudes to the Evac zone and end their turn without pressing the Evac button, then press it during any of your other agents' turns.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Taear posted:

So it's better to just leave the VP untouched and kill as many enemies as you can first, and you can't really guess where to put your units either.

You can kind of tell where the enemy entrance points probably are, but killing everyone on the map before approaching the VIP is usually prudent.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I would love them to iterate on this some more but I believe someone from their team said on Twitter there will be no DLC.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

Seems unlikely, because the project lead said they're literally not allowed to comment on any future patches or DLC.

Well, I hope I'm wrong because I want more content.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Is the number of missions known? I tried looking online just now but got nothing. I want to bring some folks who I'm not using much on a few missions to get them trained enough to do better side missions. Though it sounds like I should actually be using Patchwork more anyway, but Blueblood, Godmother, Verge, Terminal and sometimes Cranky Snake Lady are already doing me okay 2 gangs in.

I leveled all eight of my dudes by early third act by rotating them and not rushing purple missions.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Earth is majority human. One human per XCOM operative archetype and rest being aliens is already plenty diverse.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Apparently there's one more XCOMlike that just came out called TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children and while it looks like, well, XCOM with Persona 5-ish anime characters the reviews on Steam seem quite positive. It came to my attention via this /r/games review and it kinda made me want to play it.

Has anyone else here tried it?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Bruceski posted:

How does the Mobility stat translate to movement? Folks have anywhere from 9 to 12 (discounting scars) but they can't move that far on the map. Am I just bad at counting?

It includes dashing, perhaps?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

Just a heads up, if you miss the xcom2 steam sale and haven't got the game yet (ends may 07), the base game's still on humble bundle for may. Though, I don't think it has WOTC in it.

I don't believe you can get that month's bundle anymore, just sign up for the next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Lost missions were fine.