Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Not a big fan of the Avatar Project thing. I hate time limits and that's apparently what it is. I realize it was possible to delay a little bit too much in XCOM1, just rack in XP to get the best possible squad for the Temple Ship, but that was also kind of cool. We'll see how it turns out, but having to beat the alien clock doesn't super fun to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Yes I realize that adding that stress condition is actually a pretty good game design, it just tends to... stress me too much :) My problem, really.

I hope there's not too much randomness around this and losing a game will mean that, ultimately, you made bad choices instead of just having bad luck.

:xcom:, I know.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Steam won't automatically start downloading the game once it's available, right? I'm traveling until the 6th and it'd be great if I could come home and start playing XCOM2 straight away because I left the computer on.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

dogstile posted:

You can get teamviewer on your phone these days.

I work in "cyber security" so I'm completely paranoid and I'm never going to install TeamViewer. Oh, well.

E:

64bitrobot posted:

You can also get steam mobile, and tell your computer to download it from your phone. I've done this before, I think I was hanging out at college one day and thought 'Man, I really want to play this game.' So I had steam install it for me from my phone.

SinineSiil posted:

Don't even need that. Just log in from the browser.

Oh we can do that? Sweet, thanks for the tip!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Thank you Beagle for your XCOM2 Let's Play. I'm glad you're getting back to it. I almost forgive you for not finishing your LW Live & Impossible one like you said you would.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I don't see XCOM2 in my games library in the Steam Android app or on the web, but I do see it in my list of games on the thick client of my laptop (I'm traveling at the moment). That means I can't push the pre-load on my home computer :(

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Trick to tell whether or not you're going through your VPN.

* Make sure your VPN is off.
* Open up a Windows command line (Windows key + R, then type "cmd").
* Type this: tracert 8.8.8.8

This will display the route the packets are using to reach the 8.8.8.8 IP address (this is Google's public DNS server). If you're from home the first hop is going to be something like 192.168.1.1 (could be a different network, but chances are it's going to be 192.168.x.x). That's your local gateway.

Now turn on your VPN and do that again. If the first hop is the same IP address as before, then you're not going through your VPN.

Also, don't use free VPN services unless you're absolutely sure they are safe. If I wanted to spy on people and record their traffic for various reasons (like trying to insert ads or malware in their traffic), I'd provide free VPNs.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ciaphas posted:

Cool to know, thanks. I've been thinking about getting a Steam Link for a while, so I don't have to run HDMI, USB, etc. across the room to the TV and deal with monitor fuckery; maybe I'll buy a Steam Controller to go with it. Wish I could try the touchpad thing before I buy, though.

FYI the X360 pad works like a charm with the Steam Link (Valve is the maintainer of the driver Linux of that pad), even if you use the PC wireless adapter. If you have one hanging around, you can save yourself $50.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
You can select Ironman on the next screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-qpBV9U9FE&t=71s

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Maybe that has been asked before, but thread moves too drat fast.

How do I ensure that specific characters will make it into the first initial squad? Like I suspect Beagle did for Jamball and his virtual self?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
In his PC Gamer article Beagle says that when you hover a tile you can see the LOS of the soldier if you move him to that tile. I can't seem to see that, what am I doing wrong?

Also, can we get in the OP how to export our characters to put them in the Goon pool?

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't think you can ensure specific characters, but you can tell the game to only use people from the pool until they all die/get recruited by changing the line
code:
InitialSoldiersCharacterPoolSelectionMode=eCPSM_Mixed
to eCPSM_PoolOnly in the gamedata.ini file.

Thanks!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Man these "make getting out of concealment count" ambushes are awesome. There's nothing quite like throwing a grenade and getting a 3x Overwatch followup.

E:

The Kins posted:

Pay attention to the health bars of enemies - if your soldier will be able to see them when they move to the highlighted tile, there'll be a little red crosshair next to it.

Right, I must have overlooked that. Thanks!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Holy poo poo, the Gremlin's Attack Protocol ignores armor \o/

Also I must be stupid or missed the VA about that but how do I expand the amount of available contacts?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What is safe to sell on the black market? What is the minimum of X I should keep in stock for future research? I just completed the first Black Site mission, all I have left to research for now are the tech 3 weapons and the Alien Encryption I just got from completing the black site. I'm starving for cash :/

Speedball posted:

Research "Resistance Comms," build a Comm facility inside your base, staff it. You might need more than one if you want to cover the globe.

Ah yes! I remember now. Thanks!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

sicarius posted:

How the heck are you just now finishing the first Black Site with Tech 3 weapons?! What month are you in?

No I have the tech 2 weapons, the tech 3 I have to research still. Can't remember which month I'm in now, I've been delaying the black site assault on purpose but I'm thinking I've done too much of that because I have only 3 PIP left on the Avatar project. I want to tackle the next two sites now but I need monies to make contact, hence my previous question.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Speedball posted:

I'm not sure but I think knocking back the Avatar Project progress reduces enemy pod strength. Might be my imagination.

It WOULD be cool if that was a feature. I know destroying alien bases not only takes pips off the doom counter but slows the rate of new pips showing up for a while. I think it even resets Dark Events for the month.

Maybe I was unlucky because after my first black site mission, which took off a pip, I got a pop-up saying the project made progress and I got the pip right back. :argh:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Earlier in the thread people said that Steam downloaded the soundtrack as a "DLC" but I can't find that anywhere. I have only the basic edition (with pre-order DLC), is this why?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Peewi posted:

Yeah, the digital deluxe edition is the only way to get the soundtrack on Steam.

Is there a bandcamp or some way to buy it legally then? Amazon only has it in crappy MP3 and I'm a purist rear end in a top hat who needs FLAC. Please don't say iTune.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

drat, that cover looks sweeeet.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is there a website somewhere that tells you what artifacts are used for (and therefore when it's safe to sell on the black market), and/or which research gives you access to what items and so on?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Created a Vladimir Poutine character to try that "Leader Class" mod. While leveling him up for that I got a bad mission (revealed a pod on my flank, like a stupid fool, while taking on a couple of Mutons at medium-range). Everybody was wounded or killed, but Poutine, true to his propaganda image, is like "Meh, this is nothing. You guys are weak."

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I have this weird thing in the game: when I spam the "Y" key to put everybody on Overwatch real quick, it works only for the first guy. When I try, even slower, to put the other soldiers on Overwatch there's just a "Negative Beep" sound in the game and I just have to skip overwatch for that turn. Is this a (known) bug or am I doing something stupid?

Also, am I correct that even with the Stock upgrade, Shred isn't applied if you miss (but still do 1 pt of damage thanks to the stock) ? If so, I can understand but that'd make me sad because I thought I was being smart.

E: Also also, is there any way to destroy/replace a room in the Avenger? I built two Power Generators but now I reached a room with the Exposed Coil and I'd like to remove one of the old rooms.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Beagle posted:

:shobon:

Btw, ya'll should check out the MGSV ports if you haven't already. They look drat awesome.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=631968536

drat those look nice. I wish they were a little more futuristic/tactilol though (this is XCOM after all) but that's really nice.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Somebody mods in night missions and night vision. By that I mean you and enemies get reduced Aim and view range if you don't have night vision goggles ; and maybe make sound more important. kthxtia~

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So I'm plyaing on baby difficulty for my first campaign. I'm on June 2035, cleared a black site, doom dicker is minus 1, I have researched Mag and Gauss Weapons, got a Spider and EXO suit. I'm kind of streamrolling through the game now as expected but I'm not sure what to build next. Mission tells me to build the Shadow Chamber but the Workshop seems pretty good. I'm also at 6/6 for contacts so I'm thinking of building a Resistance Comms as well. Which of these three options would make the most sense at this point?

Should I care about the Defense Matrix at all?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Perfect thanks. Workshop then the next black site then Shadow Chamber it is!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Anybody else is running into that bug where if Implacable kicks in you can't end your turn? I had the same happen with a Hacked enemy. Is there anyway out of this short of reloading the turn?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Backspace ends your turn.

Not when that happens it doesn't :( Not for me anyway.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

a cow posted:

Press 1 to bring up a shot or something, then end turn.

Doesn't work either.

The bug happens when Implacable triggers but I switch to another squad member and do something else. When I go back to the first soldier, she's still "active" as if I could issue an order (although with Implacable you can only move) but I can't do anything. All hotkeys are greyed out and I can't move either, nor end the turn.

Happened to me during an Avenger assault where I hacked one of the robots. He was on Overwatch when I took control of it, and after I clicked on it I couldn't issue commands (which makes sense because he was on Overwatch) but couldn't end the turn either.

Oh well, I just reloaded the save and that fixed it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
XP is divided among all the soldiers even if some of them are maxed right? Like, I can't get a Rookie in a squad with 5 Colonels and expect her to get crazy XP?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Holy poo poo if you enable Kill Zone before coming out of Concealment, then break it, you get Overwatch shots on your turn AND on the enemies' turn? My sniper just had a turn where he shot 6 loving times.

Vib Rib posted:

Either way, no, that idea won't work.

Yeah I figured, that would be probably too easy to level up dudes. Oh well.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is it possible to build another Stasis Vest? I can't find a way to build a second one anywhere and my Assault Ranger would like one, but so does my Tanky Grenadier.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

dyzzy posted:

By default you'll have to keep buying experimental armor projects to try and roll another one. There are mods that let you directly make experimental projects you've already built though.

But now I'm confused because I can keep building Hazmat Vests and W.A.R. Armors and Spider Suits? Don't they all come from the Proving Grounds?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

RBA Starblade posted:

I think this campaign's over thanks to these chryssalids. Why in the gently caress do they get to start out activated, burrowed, and allowed to double move and attack when you move into their burrow range? How do you even counter that? Bring six loving scanners?

I've never heard of that.

e: This map is seven double-moves long too, so saving civilians would not be tenable even without the chryssalids.

I noted that if you get a Concealed Ranger in an area with burrowed Chryssalids, the combat music will start playing. Not 100% reliable of course but it's a little help.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is there a mod that shows the detection radius of a pod, or if moving to a tile will put you in their view range? I'm really bad at counting tiles.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
With the recent DLC sale I re-started XCOM2 for the first time since I finished it on release. I have this bug where changing the keybinding doesn't save - when I restart the game they are back to default. It seems that people randomly run into that problem. Is there a known fix?

I have a bunch of mods (Capnbubs Accessories Pack, Flank Preview, that sort of things, nothing that should be related to keybindings) so I'll check if the problem persists without them. Was mostly wondering if there's an easy fix.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Lprsti99 posted:

Have you checked to see if your config files maybe got set to read-only? Check XComInput.ini in Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config

I don't see why they would, or why it would have changed from before (I didn't have this issue at release) but I guess it doesn't hurt to check that as well indeed.

Furism fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 5, 2016

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Tzarnal posted:

Start the game without any mods loaded, I know your mods are not related to keybinds. Do it anyway. Assign the key you wish to change to a Different Action, now assign it to the correct one, say yes to the dialogue box. Repeat for further keybinds. Save and quit.

It should now be working and not disapear on you again.

So assign the key twice, once to the "wrong" action and then to the "right" one? Will definitively try this when I'm back home. Thanks!

Jesus :psyduck:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is there a reason why my rookies always get the same set of armor props, not even a cool one but from the Anarchy DLC thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Ok I tried everything I could think of, I still can't get the key mappings to persist across sessions :( I can't believe this is still a problem in a 2016 game that uses Unreal Engine.

Anyway, I'm about to start a new campaign with the DLCs. Never did that before. Is there something I should know?