Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will this event help or hurt Trump?
Trump in Triumph
Trump Unstumped
Trump Slumps
Trump Finally Stumped
View Results

• Locked thread
BWV
Feb 24, 2005

most boring trump event yet. had to mute it when he let that guy that looked like john leguizamo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Naet posted:

Black women on stage supporting Trump and Fox News using video to call candidates on their bullshit. Truly the strangest timeline.

Eli > Payton , George > Jeb, Trump Ascendant.

If someone pulled the plug on the Matrix tomorrow I wouldn't bat an eye.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Oh poo poo man, I've been in the wrong thread. SOrry folks. Carry on!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

This event is boring but so long as tomorrow's news shows are talking about what it means for Trump's campaign instead of Rubio it's still going to pay off. Now when the hell are the Freedom America girls coming on!!!

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

So, is he on his way to the Debate now?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
well. i dont think it sunk him, but i dont think it really helped him either. sure he got huckabee and rick to bend the knee, but that was going to happen anyway. people can say he helped the vets at least monateraly but it feels quick and half hearted.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, pretty dull event, although Trump might spin it anyway.

All will be forgiven if Trump shows up at the debate now.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Astroclassicist posted:

So, is he on his way to the Debate now?

I sure as gently caress hope so

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trump mailed that in but he probably dodged a brutal video takedown of him being a liar on something and Ted Cruz is getting massacred so its a win.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

everybody who wants to spin it will spin it, including the people in this thread and the media

it wasn't any good but most of what trump has done wasn't. nothing matters

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

oystertoadfish posted:

everybody who wants to spin it will spin it, including the people in this thread and the media

it wasn't any good but most of what trump has done wasn't. nothing matters

The rally itself wasn't very good, but I'm not sure if that was ever the point.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
It wasn't awesome like some others, but:

1. He avoided the debate bloodbath
2. Some of the vets that came on were kinda interesting, I dunno
3. Huge attendence considering the short notice
4. Santorum and Huckabee are the two previous winners of the last two Iowa caucuses, and they bent the knee. That might mean something.

edit: Some interesting call-ins on C-SPAN

in fact its quite interesting so far

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

4. Santorum and Huckabee are the two previous winners of the last two Iowa caucuses, and they bent the knee. That might mean something.

Yeah, Santorum and Huckabee being desperate idiots kind of made this for Trump. If the Media wants to jump on that as the only noteworthy part of the rally it makes Trump look like he bitched out two fellow candidates.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Oh it's over? drat that was fast. What are the odds he crashes the debate venue now?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Zippy the Bummer posted:

It wasn't awesome like some others, but:

1. He avoided the debate bloodbath
2. Some of the vets that came on were kinda interesting, I dunno
3. Huge attendence considering the short notice

edit: Some interesting call-ins on C-SPAN

in fact its quite interesting so far

Seriously for anyone who didn't watch the debate Trump made the right choice it's brutal in those debates right now

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

Trump mailed that in but he probably dodged a brutal video takedown of him being a liar on something and Ted Cruz is getting massacred so its a win.

This

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

The rally itself wasn't very good, but I'm not sure if that was ever the point.

yeah, he created the preconditions that will probably keep the unstumpable narrative going regardless of the quality of this show

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SirKibbles posted:

Seriously for anyone who didn't watch the debate Trump made the right choice it's brutal in those debates right now

yeah, the losers are turning on each other out of desperation.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Squalid posted:

Oh it's over? drat that was fast. What are the odds he crashes the debate venue now?

SirKibbles posted:

Yeah, and someone probably told him that as soon as he walked off the stage. Game, set, and match, Fox News. This is a game changer.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

if debate-dodging is the victory trump's won it's not a long-term victory. is he gonna do this every time? what's his next trick?

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
All the callers on C-SPAN so far think this will help Trump. A couple of democrats too. Not that it means anything. Just interesting.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The 'correct' narrative for the other candidates would be to make the debate a lighthearted, fun affair where they took turns taking potshots at Trump and creating hilarious one-liners, while taking the space that provided to advance themselves. Instead, they're tearing each other down as normal

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
:siren:

EVERYONE GOOGLE "gop debate"

YOU CAN VOTE FOR TRUMP AND THEY WILL HAVE RESULTS AFter DEBATE

LETS HUMILATE FOX NEWS

VOTE TRUMP

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

oystertoadfish posted:

if debate-dodging is the victory trump's won it's not a long-term victory. is he gonna do this every time? what's his next trick?

The next stage of debates has always been a problem for Trump. Pretty soon the numbers are going to dwindle, the stage is going to get smaller, he's going to have to answer more questions, and people are going to have more chances to counter him. That's always been something that didn't favor Trump.

I actually wouldn't be terrible surprised if he did say "I'm done with debates" if he wins Iowa. He's already set it up saying "we've had enough debates, the Democrats are done." If he wins Iowa and thinks it didn't hurt him he might go for it.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Vile posted:

EVERYONE GOOGLE "gop debate"

YOU CAN VOTE FOR TRUMP AND THEY WILL HAVE RESULTS AFter DEBATE

LETS HUMILATE FOX NEWS

VOTE TRUMP

done

also the drudge poll

nevermind i was wrong it was a general primary poll, not debate

Zippy the Bummer has issued a correction as of 04:40 on Jan 29, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

The next stage of debates has always been a problem for Trump. Pretty soon the numbers are going to dwindle, the stage is going to get smaller, he's going to have to answer more questions, and people are going to have more chances to counter him. That's always been something that didn't favor Trump.

I actually wouldn't be terrible surprised if he did say "I'm done with debates" if he wins Iowa. He's already set it up saying "we've had enough debates, the Democrats are done." If he wins Iowa and thinks it didn't hurt him he might go for it.

there's three debates in february, two in march. if he just keeps not showing up i feel like at some stage in that process he begins to look weak. maybe he'll come up with some great long-term plan, he's done it before. if it's just more rallies i guess that could keep him sitting with his 40-50% of the republican party but if he continues to be a 100% rally-dependent candidate it wouldn't augur well for this pivot to the left we all hear about

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Yeah, and someone probably told him that as soon as he walked off the stage. Game, set, and match, Fox News. This is a game changer.

As if there wasn't a plant at fox who let him know what would happen beforehand

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Ban all muslims imo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

oystertoadfish posted:

there's three debates in february, two in march. if he just keeps not showing up i feel like at some stage in that process he begins to look weak. maybe he'll come up with some great long-term plan, he's done it before. if it's just more rallies i guess that could keep him sitting with his 40-50% of the republican party but if he continues to be a 100% rally-dependent candidate it wouldn't augur well for this pivot to the left we all hear about

I mean, I wouldn't bet on him skipping out of more debates but I wouldn't have bet on him skipping out on this one so who the hell knows what Trump will do?

But if he has a strong win in Iowa and the numbers don't go down I could see him at least considering skipping the next one and seeing what happens. He could theoretically come back in after awhile saying a smaller field or new states gives him reason or something. Or just picking an issue and saying "I want to talk about this."

I don't know, its trying to predict what Trump will do. I think he'll probably do the next debate because he kind of set it up by saying "Fox apologized and I would have done it if I didn't have this set up already" but he's Trump. He can throw another curveball if Cruz and/or Rubio get hurt by this debate and decides he won't risk it happening to him.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

maybe he'll actually decide to become good at debates. i don't think it's beyond him, it's just another form of reality tv

it seems like he should've just done that a month or three ago though

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

oystertoadfish posted:

maybe he'll actually decide to become good at debates. i don't think it's beyond him, it's just another form of reality tv

it seems like he should've just done that a month or three ago though

I don't understand this narrative at all. Trump can't debate and Cruz is a "master debater". Who makes this stuff up? Trump is absolutely dominate on the stage and has clearly won every debate. The issues don't matter at all to republican voters and they're just going to gravitate to the alpha which is obviously Trump.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He'll have to nail down some real policy that he can defend/argue and I'm not sure he wants to do that before the general.

But I think really his whole strategy will depend on how Iowa and NH go. If he wins both strong he's golden and can probably do whatever he wants. If he loses both he's in trouble and needs to fight. if he splits its a race and he has to play. So I'm not sure the Trump Campaign knows what it's doing next week.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

I don't understand this narrative at all. Trump can't debate and Cruz is a "master debater". Who makes this stuff up? Trump is absolutely dominate on the stage and has clearly won every debate. The issues don't matter at all to republican voters and they're just going to gravitate to the alpha which is obviously Trump.

i'm responding to the narrative where trump won the debate by not being part of it, which implies that he's got a reason to dodge the debates. if he would've dominated this debate he hurt himself by not doing so

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

BWV posted:

most boring trump event yet. had to mute it when he let that guy that looked like john leguizamo

Looked like?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

oystertoadfish posted:

i'm responding to the narrative where trump won the debate by not being part of it, which implies that he's got a reason to dodge the debates. if he would've dominated this debate he hurt himself by not doing so

Refusing to go to the debate was a power struggle between him and fox news and he won. Fox news apologized, had bill O' begging him to come back, Ailes calling him directly, etc. It was a game of chicken and Trump didn't flinch which is exactly the kind of domineering behavior that low info republican voters are looking for as a sign of strength.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Refusing to go to the debate was a power struggle between him and fox news and he won. Fox news apologized, had bill O' begging him to come back, Ailes calling him directly, etc. It was a game of chicken and Trump didn't flinch which is exactly the kind of domineering behavior that low info republican voters are looking for as a sign of strength.

alright, i get how he wins by not showing up even if he would've done well at the debate. there's also the idea that he won by not showing up because he wouldn't have done well at the debate, and while the debates haven't measurably hurt him i don't think they've been his strength. i guess part of his victory is that we don't know which one it was. i think he'll have to let us find out at some point, i don't think he can win a power play and declare victory without being tested in the debate once every week through the first few primaries

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, despite what Trump claims very few people think he's "won" the debates. Generally speaking the consensus seems to be that he kind of has up and down debates that he kind of weathers with a few good moments and a few bad moments but then he just retakes the narrative afterwards.

So by that standard he pretty much did the same here. Maybe people think bad on him skipping out, maybe they respect him doing charity, maybe he dodged a bullet. But he's already controlling his narrative so he's kind of where he usually is a day or two after the debate.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, despite what Trump claims very few people think he's "won" the debates. Generally speaking the consensus seems to be that he kind of has up and down debates that he kind of weathers with a few good moments and a few bad moments but then he just retakes the narrative afterwards.

So by that standard he pretty much did the same here. Maybe people think bad on him skipping out, maybe they respect him doing charity, maybe he dodged a bullet. But he's already controlling his narrative so he's kind of where he usually is a day or two after the debate.

Trump's "wins" all the debates in the same way the class clown wins all the debates for student government president.

Which is to say he's the most popular, period, he knows it, he doesn't give a poo poo and everyone eats it up and he's going to loving win, but whether you can call it "winning" the debate is in the eye of the beholder

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I think it's pretty simple. Trump needed a boost before the Iowa caucus, he knew in advance the debate probably wasn't going to help him, and he calculated that the benefits of generating his own positive publicity outweighed the risks of seeming like he was scared to debate.

I think Trump probably would have survived this debate without being hurt too much by it, at least not any more than the other candidates were. I don't think he's trying to make it part of his strategy going forward to try to skip debates. Skipping the debate just happened to be the best option this time, so he took it. But I'd be surprised if this is a gambit he'll be able to make pay off in the future.

And we don't really know if the gambit even paid off this time. We won't know for a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You don't have to tell me. I think the idea of someone "winning" a 7 person debate is idiotic. Its just who comes out of it with good or bad momentum. Trump usually hold steady and mostly controls his momentum between the debates with his million media appearances. The guys who don't get as much media time or just aren't as good at controlling the narrative tend to need the debate's momentum shifts more.

• Locked thread