Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Jose posted:

what are some good and easy mountains to climb in europe? ideally not very busy

Anywhere in Switzerland except Gotthard. lol "gotthard".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Jose posted:

Sounds like Norway to me https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mountains_in_Norway_by_prominence

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Jose posted:

If you mean easy as in "guy with no training can do them", any of the UK mountains would fit the bill. The summits will be busy but if you choose one of the challenging ascents with an arete and some scrambling instead of the tourist hikes, it'd be a fun babby's first mountain experience.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Tuxedo Gin posted:

UK mountains

They only got one though? And I mean barely one.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

They only got one though? And I mean barely one.

By what definition? By any standard official definition, they have a number of mountains.

Nothing like Everest, but dude asked for "easy".

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Austria has a shitload of hiking mountains.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Tuxedo Gin posted:

By what definition? By any standard official definition, they have a number of mountains.

Nothing like Everest, but dude asked for "easy".

The "enhibriated dads at a bar" kind of definition.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Minrad posted:

Ignoring the environment and weather, the most difficult part is the Hillary Step

so... probably not something you want to do without the barest knowledge of how to climb and some fixed ropes, but yes, most of the difficulty in everest is just the fact that it's ever so slightly high enough that you aren't meant to survive while on top of it. the weather also does a lot: walking across a ridge is "easy" until you're in 60 mile an hour winds and can't see anything due to whiteout, and one missteps means a long slide and then death.

I think the analogy people used in earlier threads for "why don't they help the dying people off the mountain?" was "Why don't you get blackout drunk and carry a 200 pound sack of meat down off your roof with a barely supported ladder in -20 C while a blizzard is roaring with 50 mph gusts and whiteout conditions?"

Stop giving away my training regime secrets for everest.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ben Nevis in any time other than the summer is surprisingly difficult because the weather ranges from irritating to life threatening. I found it more difficult to do in October than Kilimanjaro, which is basically a walk with a stop for breath. But then again I was only about 15 when I did it. In the winter it's a full on dangerous trip.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah people go into UK mountains without thought a lot and die.

I mean no they're not high but with real lovely weather that can come up with no warning, there are plenty of unprepared idiots who die. You're probably ok in the summer of course

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

People have to get airlifted off of the Crib Goch approach to Snowdon (Wales' tiny 1085m mountain) all the time. The aretes are no joke, even in the summer. Scrambling along a ridge with 500ft+ drops on both sides is a challenge for even experienced hikers. That's why I recommended UK mountains as good "easy" ones. Babby's first mountaineering experience.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People don't realize that even a few thousand feet up, the weather can be drastically different from what it is on the ground.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Britain has the Three Peaks Challenge, climbing the highest mountains of Scotland, England and Wales in 24 hours, including driving.

https://www.threepeakschallenge.uk/

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Even in summer walking the Cairngorms or Snowdonia can catch you out and gently caress you up.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Any tech billionaires proposed sending a robot to the top of Everest yet?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cojawfee posted:

People don't realize that even a few thousand feet up, the weather can be drastically different from what it is on the ground.

i'd never been high at all until i visited the states and then drove up pikes peak. i was really not prepared for how quickly i would become dizzy

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

AceRimmer posted:

Any tech billionaires proposed sending a robot to the top of Everest yet?

I actually have wondered if it would be at all feasible to develop a helicopter (or some form of VTOL aircraft) which can reliably operate that high up. It would be nice to have some solution for rescuing climbers from the Death Zone, or at least getting rid of some of the corpses.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
just call JPL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4boyXQuUIw&t=172s

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

I actually have wondered if it would be at all feasible to develop a helicopter (or some form of VTOL aircraft) which can reliably operate that high up. It would be nice to have some solution for rescuing climbers from the Death Zone, or at least getting rid of some of the corpses.

If we have a way to rescue people we'll just get more morons on the mountain.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Cockmaster posted:

It's already been done. He used an unremarkable stock helicopter.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Tuxedo Gin posted:

People have to get airlifted off of the Crib Goch approach to Snowdon (Wales' tiny 1085m mountain) all the time. The aretes are no joke, even in the summer. Scrambling along a ridge with 500ft+ drops on both sides is a challenge for even experienced hikers. That's why I recommended UK mountains as good "easy" ones. Babby's first mountaineering experience.

Yeah this. Crib Goch ridge is pretty cool. All ridge climbs are great. Here's Crib Goch:

This one is Striding Edge, on Helvellyn in the Lake District.

And the mother of them all, the Aonach Eagach ridge in Glen coe in Scotland.

Yes, that's a sheer drop on each side.

The UK has some awesome walks, even if they're not at a huge altitude.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Norway is pretty much the most expensive country in the world (unless you already live there). Beautiful but impractical. Alps in Austria and Switzerland would be more affordable.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Alps in Austria and Switzerland would be more affordable.
Slovenia is another good option. Pretty bad lines on some of the popular peaks though, so watch out for that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think the death toll of six (or is it seven) is premature, there's still a tiny autumn climbing window that sometimes claims some more lives.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

the autumn window doesn't really have the entertainment value because it is pretty much only experienced mountaineers. it's not a parade of clowns like the may window

if crazy poo poo goes down it becomes newsworthy

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
"How much would it cost to build a machine that sarcastically claps for people who make the summit under any conditions? One that can withstand the elements."

Microwaves Mom posted:

Costly to weather proof it and power it at the top I'd imagine. Especially if it is supposed to go without maintenance.

Power it with one of those RTGs, like the soviets used for lighthouses, that would keep it from freezing over too. Could be engineered to last a long time.
Armour it up with tons of steel and bolt it into the rock so no salty climbers can wreck it
Build in an infra-red sensor, so it could play a selection of sarcastic sounds whenever it detects a person next to it on the summit.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Sounds doable... except the whole "get it up there" part.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

High Lord Elbow posted:

Sounds doable... except the whole "get it up there" part.

I'd bet we could work out an arrangement with a guide. Easiest client he's ever had.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

nomad2020 posted:

I'd bet we could work out an arrangement with a guide. Easiest client he's ever had.

If you bring it up yourself and you can get the "First person to summit Everest while carrying a device to sarcastically mock others who summit Everest" award. Plus you can test it with your achievement.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Include an 'oxygen refill station' that pumps out Nitrous Oxide.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

stillvisions posted:

If you bring it up yourself and you can get the "First person to summit Everest while carrying a device to sarcastically mock others who summit Everest" award. Plus you can test it with your achievement.

"Wow, you must have lots of friends."

"Congratulations, hope you don't die on the way back down. It happens more often than you think."

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

"Wow, you must have lots of friends."

"Congratulations, hope you don't die on the way back down. It happens more often than you think."
"Oh you're a vegan? I knew a vegan once..."

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AceRimmer posted:

"Oh you're a vegan? I knew a vegan once..."

almost met*

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

"Oh, great, you made it this far. Now, how about being the first vegan to summit Everest and never mention being a vegan afterwards? Now there would be something to actually feel proud of... I know, impossible. Don't slip on the way down."

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

edit: quote is not edit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes nobody is going to have any sort of problem with putting a nuclear device on the top of mount everest, I'm sure

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Yes nobody is going to have any sort of problem with putting a nuclear device on the top of mount everest, I'm sure
Speaking of which....

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why climb a mountain like a chump when the dwarves have constructed cog railways up the side of many mountains. For some reason they call sideways trains "Funiculars".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_funicular_railways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

May I postulate for a moment, just say we placed a nuclear bomb right on the summit, ran back down the hill and pushed the button. How much shorter would Everest be when the dust settled? Maybe the Hiroshima bomb would only take a couple of metres off, but a brand new 2016 build would probably bust that fucker down to Ben Nevis/Kosciusko levels. The radiation wouldn't be a problem, no-one lives there, and it would probably make the summers quite pleasant in a couple of years. Is China, India, or the USA best qualified to take on this job?