Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

According to google, terminal velocity for a human is 122mph.

At sea level.

e: If the air pressure at that altitude is 40 kPa and I use the same assumptions for the rest that resulted in 55 m⁄s at sea level, I get about 90 m⁄s at 6600 m.

So he hit at more like 200 mph.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
:downs:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Spotted in comments section of Deadspin article on Steck:

lol

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Platystemon posted:

At sea level.

e: If the air pressure at that altitude is 40 kPa and I use the same assumptions for the rest that resulted in 55 m⁄s at sea level, I get about 90 m⁄s at 6600 m.

So he hit at more like 200 mph.
From what I've read/heard it was more a tumble than a straight fall so velocity would have to take into account some friction and rebound effects as well.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yeah, I was thinking he probably more rolled down a steep jagged rock/ice pile for most of a mile before his many shattered, destroyed pieces came to rest.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Yeah, I was thinking he probably more rolled down a steep jagged rock/ice pile for most of a mile before his many shattered, destroyed pieces came to rest.

Yeah, something like homer falling down springfield gorge, but repeatedly, and with more dismemberment.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Yeah, something like homer falling down springfield gorge, but repeatedly, and with more dismemberment.

Everest Thread 2017: like springfield gorge but with more dismemberment

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

There's a solo female climber stuck near the summit of Canada's tallest mountain due to earthquakes loosening a bunch of seracs and causing avalanches, making descent too dangerous.

https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/article/earthquakes-strand-climber-near-summit-mount-logan

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Picnic Princess posted:

There's a solo female climber stuck near the summit of Canada's tallest mountain due to earthquakes loosening a bunch of seracs and causing avalanches, making descent too dangerous.

https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/article/earthquakes-strand-climber-near-summit-mount-logan

Sounds like she's ureally steck up there!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Wasabi the J posted:

Sounds like she's ureally steck up there!

:nallears:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
This thread.

:allears:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Just air drop her a wingsuit???

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Jimmy Hats posted:

Just air drop her a wingsuit???

And some soylent too, let's be realistic here

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Sports illustrated has an Everest cover story this month

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

The second map shows the West ridge route but she's on the east :spergin:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Sherpas protesting again, once again looking in the right as well. This time they are demanding summit certificates, which they are not issued because they aren't technically members of expeditions as they don't pay the ransom to the government.

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/sherpas-protest-everest-base-camp-demand-summit-certificates/

Doesn't look like they are aiming to shut down the season again, but it's good to see them seizing their power once again to get the treatment they deserve.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Picnic Princess posted:

lol what an idiot, doesn't even know you can photoshop yourself on Canadian mountains.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Paramemetic posted:

Sherpas protesting again, once again looking in the right as well. This time they are demanding summit certificates, which they are not issued because they aren't technically members of expeditions as they don't pay the ransom to the government.

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/sherpas-protest-everest-base-camp-demand-summit-certificates/

Doesn't look like they are aiming to shut down the season again, but it's good to see them seizing their power once again to get the treatment they deserve.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the significance of the summit certificate? Does have any function other than prove you climbed Everest?

Not that I'm saying they shouldn't fight for it either way - seems like a dick move to essentially declare Sherpas non-people and ignore their vital role in the tourist industry, if only in a symbolic way.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the significance of the summit certificate? Does have any function other than prove you climbed Everest?

Not that I'm saying they shouldn't fight for it either way - seems like a dick move to essentially declare Sherpas non-people and ignore their vital role in the tourist industry, if only in a symbolic way.

I have no idea and haven't bothered to google it but I know that in various competitive sports some events are closed to the general public and an athlete who wants to enter has to show their bonafides with proof of completion of other things (the Boston Marathon is like this, for example) so maybe there's something similar in the mountaineering world?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Paramemetic posted:

That article does a bad job of explaining exactly what a summer certificate is and why it's important a Sherpa get one, but I did find a blog post from last year (when they stopped issuing them) that explains the details:

http://www.markhorrell.com/blog/2016/on-summit-certificates-liaison-officers-and-funny-mountaineering-rules/

Basically they function as references and proof of ability, and the Sherpas need them if they want to find work year after year.

Martian Manfucker fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 5, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yeah I can see how it'd be useful to them to sell their services but even if not, it's a silly case of 'one rule for Us, a different rule for Them'

Good luck to em, I say

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Martian Manfucker posted:

That article does a bad job of explaining exactly what a summer certificate is and why it's important a Sherpa get one, but I did find a blog post from last year (when they stopped issuing them) that explains the details:

http://www.markhorrell.com/blog/2016/on-summit-certificates-liaison-officers-and-funny-mountaineering-rules/

Basically they function as references and proof of ability, and the Sherpas need them if they want to find work year after year.

... So the certificates were created FOR THE SHERPAS, and the government is now withholding them because of a technicality they made up and could easily ignore?

good good

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I met a pair of Nepalese dudes in Japan, they had nothing but respect for sherpas and were pretty awesome, highly knowledgeable dudes all round (we had several discussions while drunk across a couple of nights about linguistics, my area of expertise, and they had a sound understanding despite it being totally unrelated to their careers)

If you find a Nepalese person, buy them a beer, you won't regret it

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah, a summit certificate is basically official recognition that you did the thing. Anyone who climbs on an expedition pays for one in advance as part of their fees, and it is issued on a successful summit. For most touristy climbers this is a "you did it good job" sticker, but for professional mountaineers this is the only thing that proves that they summitted. Sherpas not getting them means that they can easily be overlooked or denied credit for a summit, which makes them dependent on their employers for recognition. That is, let's say Dawa Sherpa (made up name) works for Himalayan Extremo Climbers, but he knows that Everest Rocks or whoever might pay him more. With a summit certificate, he can show up and say "hey, I've summitted before, I'm legit, I'd like to be a guide." Without one, he can say "I've summitted before" but Everest Rocks can go "oh, is that so?" They call Himalayan Extremo, HEC says "nah, he's a porter, gently caress that guy" and he's boned.

Basically, getting a summit certificate helps Sherpas gain recognition for their efforts and also gives them more bartering ability on the job, because they can prove their accomplishments. It's not every Sherpa that summits, most of the Sherpas working for these kinds of outfits are porters, cooks, logistics guys, etc.

And also, just, climbing Everest is a big deal no matter how light we make of it, and it's good to be able to prove you did it. Where Generic Rich Tourist #491 for a season is going to have selfies and instagrams and whatever else, Sherpas are usually busy keeping that guy alive, and aren't taking selfies on the summit.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Mt. Logan was nice yesterday :unsmith:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/national/solo+climber+stranded+more+than+yukon+mount+logan+rescued+after/13347841/story.html

quote:

Parks Canada had said Thursday that bad weather was preventing a rescue attempt, but ExpeNews said a pilot with the charter service Icefield Discovery was in the area and noticed an improvement in the conditions.

ExpeNews said the pilot alerted a rescue team, and after checking with Martinez, it was decided to launch a rescue. The website said Martinez was taken to the Icefield Discovery base in Kluane Lake in southwest Yukon.

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Base camp death for the man attempting to break the record for oldest person to summit:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39829636?ocid=socialflow_twitter

quote:

An 85-year-old Nepali man who was attempting to become the oldest person to climb Mount Everest has died at base camp, reports say.
Min Bahadur Sherchan, a former British Gurkha soldier, was trying to reclaim the record from Japan's Yuichiro Miura, who climbed Everest aged 80 in 2013.

quote:

Mr Sherchan died at base camp on Saturday afternoon, officials at Nepal's tourism office said. Doctors suspect he suffered a heart attack, the Kathmandu Post newspaper reported.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well at least he might be the oldest person to die on Everest.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Bugsmasher posted:

Base camp death for the man attempting to break the record for oldest person to summit:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39829636?ocid=socialflow_twitter

well that barely counts, he was one foot in the door already!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

He basically asked the mountain to take him, and as always, it obliged. It counts.

Is someone running a season tally? What is it now, 3?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

simplefish posted:

He basically asked the mountain to take him, and as always, it obliged. It counts.

Are we counting people or individual pieces?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

simplefish posted:

I think he's the first, didn't Steck die "off site" so to speak?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Xibanya posted:

Technically he died on Nuptse

https://goo.gl/maps/DLkTVwwHY9G2

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 7, 2017

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Looking around that...:

No one try to summit today. Hillary step is closed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nsaP posted:

Looking around that...:

No one try to summit today. Hillary step is closed.

That’s a Nigerian telephone number.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Xibanya posted:

Well if we aren't counting Steck then it's still 2, there was that Brit, let me find the link

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

6th March - that's the current season, right?

(Also Aussie not Brit)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

inferis posted:

Sports illustrated has an Everest cover story this month

Oh, here comes the jinx. It won't kill anyone else this season after that cover comes out.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sports Illustrated Everest Swimsuit issue.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Platystemon posted:

Well at least he might be the oldest person to die on Everest.

Sadly, his record will be surpassed. Betting that within the next few years we'll get a 90-year old dying on Everest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I thought they weren't going to let people get permits for stupid things like "gayest polish person to die on Everest with a Scooby Doo butt plug" anymore.