Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A Melbourne university lecturer who suffered altitude sickness and died on Mount Everest was being looked after by what some climbers have described as one Nepal's cheapest and riskiest trekking companies.

Dr Maria Strydom died on Saturday on her way back down the world's highest mountain with a Sherpa after failing to make the summit.

Tour company Seven Summit Treks said the tired and weak 34-year-old died at an altitude of about 7,800 metres near Camp Four.

Another climber in Dr Strydom's group, Dutchman Eric Arnold, also died from altitude sickness on Friday after reaching the summit on his fifth attempt.

Guy Cotter from the New Zealand-based company Adventure Consultants said Seven Summit Treks was one of the cheapest trek operators on the mountain.

"A company like Seven Summits will have a base price of around $US25,000 and then people still have to add on additional costs for the trek to base camp for oxygen, for Sherpas and so on," Mr Cotter said.

"But then there's operators like us who are offering a full guided service, we charge $US65,000, the difference is that we have professionally qualified, experienced mountain guides."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-23/everest-death-sparks-concerns-over-safety/7437946

Larf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

TOP STORIES
Everest husband vows to bring 'hero' climber's body home

The husband of an Australian woman who died on Mount Everest last week says he cannot yet contemplate living without his "perfect" wife, revealing new details about her death on the world's highest mountain.
Fundraiser set up to help bring Maria Strydom's body home

Slow news day in :australia:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:australia: media just cant stop milking this story.

The Melbourne university lecturer died as she attempted to descend the mountain after being stricken with altitude sickness.

"I asked, 'Do you mind if I go on?' and she said … 'Yes you go on, I'll wait for you here'," her husband Robert Gropel told Channel Seven's Sunday Night program.

"I didn't want to separate from her, I wanted her to keep going," he said.

"I also understood that she was just very exhausted … From that position, the summit did not look that far.

"When I made it to the summit of Everest, it wasn't special for me because I didn't have her there.

"I just ran up and down and it didn't mean anything to me, because we do everything together.

"Everything else we did together was much more special."

When asked if he blamed himself for his wife's death, Mr Gropel said "of course".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

He left his wife to die on a mountain. That's metal as gently caress.

Left her to die them climbed the tallest mountain in the world running around in circles at the top going woop woop woop

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/11/climbing-mount-everest-no-oxygen