Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why is annapurna so dangerous? I know that K2 has the bottleneck which results in most of the deaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

pemba gyalje sherpa deserves every mountaineering medal for what he managed on k2

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Are there any good behind the scenes stuff of how things like ueli steck records get filmed?

since it probably fits with the thread alex honnold does some ridiculous stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn2tHcZEnF0

Jose fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 7, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Happy Hedonist posted:

Pretty much. He's climbed the north face of Eiger 40+ times at this point so they know where to place cameras and when/where to do flyovers.

for records yeah but what about when its supposedly the case of someone doing their first climb or whatever? is that just not true and they practice it a bunch and film it. What do they use for the side of the mountain shots? A helicopter and a long distance lens?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gohuskies posted:

Edit: Here's a "making of" for one of his more famous videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llb1pjUi-Cg

cool this is what i was after thanks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Someone post the story about the Pole? who onyl had vodka with him

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So whats the most ridiculous climb of a mountain anyone has done? like K2 on a bad face during winter or something

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ueli Steck's videos are mental. For some reason I never think of mountaineers just scaling a wall like rock climbers

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

whats pemba gyalje sherpa up to these days he did insane stuff if the summit was telling the truth

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

can someone post that photo of everest? where its shadow goes over the horizon and what the term for that is called tia

unless it was photoshopped anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah thats it. it owns

edit: did you just change the picture from the k2 one? post them both

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

climbing vinson seems like it would give better bragging rights in that you've both climbed the biggest mountain on antarctica and also been to there. it seems a lot easier for the same cost too

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

her name is so close to being able to spell martyrdom

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what are some good and easy mountains to climb in europe? ideally not very busy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

People don't realize that even a few thousand feet up, the weather can be drastically different from what it is on the ground.

i'd never been high at all until i visited the states and then drove up pikes peak. i was really not prepared for how quickly i would become dizzy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've driven up pike's peak and was almost immediately dizzy once i was at the top. also wikipedia tells me that its 4302m not 2400

its cool you can just drive right up to the top

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

rally b was even more mental for it. unsurprisingly it didn't last long before it got cancelled. skip to 1:42 for a very close miss. or 2:20 for a full crowd on the road running out of the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INwqyPct8qY

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ogre is a cool name for a mountain

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

was it everest or a different mountain that a google exec instagrammed drinking coffee talking about how safe the mountain was then died the next day?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

someone should make a new thread. are there any mountains that are unclimbed because they just kill everyone as opposed to people aren't allowed to climb them?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

any of the famous mountains have ascents that are possible but have killed everyone then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i wonder if people would all race to climb k2 is it became tallest