Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
After two years of Everest hubris blue balls I hope we have a glorious return to form this year.

41 DEAD! Offer void if any are sherpas.

It should be considered whether or not global warming is making this less of an achievement. Longer windows for climbing, less ice (etc.). Not that it will stop a bunch of utterly oblivious privileged drop kicks from forming an orderly queue to be 'totally awesome forever'.

Rather than write a long analogy post, the people coming in and calling us monsters are exactly the people who are asking why goons are pissing down a well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Not Everest but still featuring well aged climbcicles:

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-...8bc4fa3afa8443b

quote:

THE bodies of two climbers killed 16 years ago after an avalanche hit them have been found in a melting glacier.
The widow of Alex Lowe confirmed in a statement that two climbers attempting to ascend the 26,291-foot Shishapangma mountain in Tibet discovered the remains of two people partially melting out of a glacier.
The climbers, David Goettler from Germany and Ueli Steck from Switzerland, described the clothing and backpacks seen on the bodies to Conrad Anker, who was climbing with Lowe and cameraman David Bridges at the time of the October 1999 avalanche and survived. Anker concluded that the two were Bridges and Lowe, the statement said.

Bonus link to a video about Lincoln Hall "I shouldn't be alive. Left for dead on Everest."

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

DicktheCat posted:

So, we get anyone bitching about the death pool this year?
If you have money on it I'll start for a small cut.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

esb posted:

I climbed a 2500m mountain once was gonna be a guided trip where everyone are tied together so when u fall down some crack or something you should be saved.. maybe?

for some reason the guides never showed i had been waiting for a long time so i just said gently caress it and went to the top on my own, didnt even fall through the snow
Have we ever got a fresh new challenge for you!

First virgin to summit, oh wait that was Hillary.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Because now days people summit in tourist coach sized parties perhaps the more important achievement is dying on Everest.

First Celtic Vegan to die on Everest (etc.)

Obviously this means we too have become part of the problem but what's the desecration of a holy mountain against a few cheap laughs?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Platystemon posted:

I like this line of thought. It implies that I, too am a hero.
You didn't die. Fix this one thing and then we're golden.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Platystemon posted:

Never has hot pink text been so useful to me.
I only wanted you to be a hero :australia:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Time Cowboy posted:

That's downright unamerican.
I know they're worse than the French!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

LastCaress posted:

Sorry, didn't die in the mountains. Took some nice pictures, there's a reason to go to these places, they're beautiful.
If you ain't dying on the mountain, you ain't trying on the mountain. :colbert:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I'm prepared to be patient:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-23/junko-tabei-first-woman-to-climb-mount-everest-dies-aged-77/7957662

quote:

Junko Tabei: First woman to climb Mount Everest dies aged 77 Updated about 3 hours ago

The Japanese climber had been diagnosed with cancer and died at a hospital outside of Tokyo. Tabei reached the summit of the world's highest mountain in 1975, at the age of 35. In 1992, she also became the first woman to complete the Seven Summits, reaching the highest peaks of the seven continents. Tabei climbed her first mountain in 1939, when she was led by her elementary school teacher to the summit of Mt Nasu, her official website states. She later established the Ladies Climbing Club: Japan, with the slogan "Let's go on an overseas expedition by ourselves". "Back in 1970s Japan, it was still widely considered that men were the ones to work outside and women would stay at home," Tabei told the Japan Times in 2012. "Even women who had jobs — they were asked just to serve tea."

When she left on her Everest expedition, as part of a 15-member, all-women team, "we were told we should be raising children instead", she told the newspaper. "There was never a question in my mind that I wanted to climb that mountain, no matter what other people said." She had continued climbing later in life, and her website said she went abroad "seven to eight times a year to climb the highest mountain of each country". As of 2008, Tabei had climbed the highest peaks of 56 countries, it stated. Tabei was married with two children. She completed a degree in English and American Literature at Showa Women's University in 1962, and a master's degree in comparative social culture, focusing on garbage problems in the Himalayas, at Kyusha University in 2000. She campaigned for sustainable mountaineering and was chairperson of the Himalayan Adventure Trust of Japan, which is dedicated to the protection of mountain environments.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Is goatse off the table?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
My favourite part are the two muppets standing on the guide rope in their crampons. "This rope will save your *snap* liffffff................"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Left out the very best bit:

On the same day, Oates, whose toes had become frostbitten,[87] voluntarily left the tent and walked to his death.[88] Scott wrote that Oates' last words were "I am just going outside and may be some time".[89]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Falcon_Scott

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Honest if sick question. Would the body (if not the clothing) break like a giant ice sculpture from being frozen that long? If they found it at the bottom of the mountain and removed the clothes, would it be like a bag full of corpse shards?
Ice has no internal structure. Cadavars have both a skeleton and the fibres of the muscles and tendons. A drop from altitude will probably mush things up a bit more than if 'fresh' but that will be as nought to being churned through a glacier in the years to come.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Platystemon posted:

At sea level.

e: If the air pressure at that altitude is 40 kPa and I use the same assumptions for the rest that resulted in 55 m⁄s at sea level, I get about 90 m⁄s at 6600 m.

So he hit at more like 200 mph.
From what I've read/heard it was more a tumble than a straight fall so velocity would have to take into account some friction and rebound effects as well.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:australia:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-climber-dies-on-mount-everest-officials-say-20170521-gw9wpb.html

quote:

Australian climber dies on Mount Everest, officials say Pradeep Bashyal and Annie Gowen

Kathmandu: Three Mount Everest climbers – including one Australian – have died with storms and high winds hitting the world's tallest peak, authorities said Sunday.

A 54-year-old Australian died on the Tibet side of the mountain after suffering altitude sickness, according to a report in the Himalayan Times, which quoted a spokesperson from the Tibet Mountaineering Association.

Roland Yearwood, a doctor from Alabama who returned to Everest after surviving the earthquake-triggered avalanche in 2015, died not far from the summit on the Nepal side early Sunday, according to Nepal tourism officials and his trekking company.

Slovak mountaineer Vladimir Strba also died Sunday, while search operations continued for an Indian climber who was separated from his guide on Saturday.

First day jitters?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

down n out posted:

Who has climbed K2 the most times? I can see Apa Sherpa is the King of Everest, but there are almost no details on total K2 ascents by one climber.
Total summits(Assents counts those who didn't get back down) is 302 you could just carefully look through the lists yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K2

http://www.everestnews.com/sumk2.htm

quote:

The first climber to summit K2 twice was a Czech climber Josef Rakoncaj. Joska was a member of the 1983 Italian expedition led by Francesco Santon, which made the second successful ascent of the North Ridge (7/31/83). Three years later, on 7/5/86, he summitted on the Abruzzi Spur (double with Broad Peak West Face solo) as a member of Agostino da Polenza's international expedition.

In 51, Joska Rakoncaj is a living legend of the Czech Alpine and Himalayan climbing. In addition to the two successful climbs of K2, he summitted on Lhotse Shar, Annapurna, Manaslu, Cho Oyu, Shishapangma, Nanga Parbat, Nanda Devi, Petit Dru, Mt. Asgard and many other challenging peaks, and he made many first ascents of fine routes. Joska is living in the Czech Republic, running his company Sir Joseph, a producer of climbing equipment for alpinists.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

gohuskies posted:

Most people know about the issue of CO poisoning and run their stoves outside the tent or take steps to ensure there's some kind of ventilation happening. These guys apparently didn't.
Hypothermia and anoxia cause people to make bad decisions? :monocle:

The summit to death ratio is poor but Australia has one more hidden killer:

quote:

There have been at least 35 deaths relating to recreational climbing since such incidents began being recorded

Uluru

The schadenfreude is that the traditional owners ask people not to climb the rock for culturally sensitive reasons, so to die on the rock you have to be a completely insensitive loving idiot. Even worse, dying on the rock amounts to a desecration of a sacred place and means more people have to climb the loving rock to bring the bodies back (Dingoes have been known to chew on fall victims).

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Worrying about other what other people do with their lives is pretty dumb hth
Clearly never been struck by a careless falling mountaineer. Nuub.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Is there a word yet for the intense but irrational desire to beat people to death with their selfie sticks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

AceRimmer posted:

Looks like the full version of Death Zone: Cleaning Up Mt. Everest is on YouTube.
Thanks for your helpful link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ66D7G1w4s*

*This is all I could find