Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

bitcoin bastard posted:

Brake fade is real and also scary as poo poo the first time it happens to you. [citation me discovering brake fade on a 2 way stop across a busy road at the bottom of a hill]

poo poo dude, that sounds quite unpleasant. I've heard enough stories like that to practice engine braking (with an automatic transmission) down some of the -6% grade hills in my river valley town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

HairyManling posted:

Same. I actually didn't even know this forum existed. Is there a fishing thread?!

While you're on a "discovering forums" kick, take note that "DIY & Hobbies" exists. It was recently moved promoted from a subforum of Creative Convention in "The Finer Arts" section to it's own forum in Discussion.

Rotating Sub-Forum: Hiking is a fine place for this years Everest thread to finish.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jose posted:

i wonder if people would all race to climb k2 is it became tallest

I can't be the only person who's fantasized about Everest getting bombed until it wasn't the tallest in this thread.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

elwood posted:

Still escalating in QSC. At least some people seem to have fun.

I've been reading the Everest threads since the start (or maaaaaybe 2012) and as much as I hate the QSC/Imp Zone/FYAD/whatever concern trolls that have set out to shut down every forum other than their's, maybe it's time to give up the stupid "death pool" thing. Nobody gives a gently caress about it past the first few pages of outrage. There's no prize. Multiple people can choose the same number. It's really pointless these days.

The only thing the death pool has done in the last few years is attract a bunch of nonsense posters to flood the post for the first week or so. It's one of those things that was sort-of funny a few years ago that just keeps getting dragged along due to tradition.

If someone wants to give out a bunch of books to a "pool" winner again, maybe make the winner the person who guesses the date of the first summit of the season or something.

I'm not saying we should stop making fun of dipshits who tried to snowboard down the mountain, never to be seen again, just that maybe the whole death pool thing has served its purpose and it's time to retire it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

a cyberpunk goose posted:

There's not even a death pool and the thread sucks watching people argue with invisible straw men about the merits of the death pool, I'd be less annoyed by actual death pool posting that I can tune out

a cyberpunk goose posted:

10.5 people shall perish

11 Robo Reagan, Bob Loblaw, Amgard, GiantAmazonianOtter, SLICK GOKU BABY, Ziggy Starfucker, a cyberpunk goose (10.5 rounded up)

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Xibanya posted:

I think he's the first, didn't Steck die "off site" so to speak?

Technically he died on Nuptse

https://goo.gl/maps/DLkTVwwHY9G2

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 7, 2017

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
HAPPY (Kathmandu version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyAxYa_BszU

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 10, 2017

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Everest winter season is over guys. Has been for a while. There might still be some dudes trying for a K2 Winter summit.
Don't respond to the QCS trolls. They're the only people happy to hear about 50'ish people losing their lives. Pathetic bunch, they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bchx0mS7XOY