Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
This was an interesting thread. Wish I had come across before it was so late in the season. A question about Everest. Is the Everest climb a very difficult one itself or is it mainly the environment? What I mean is, say you could lay out replicas of all the tricky parts, but at sea level on a warm day - is it something that anyone with a moderate level of fitness could manage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Rondette posted:

Oh cool, this thread did got moved! :) I have never ever ventured into RSF so I might have to have a look around. Thanks to whoever resurrected it. :cheers:
Same. I actually didn't even know this forum existed. Is there a fishing thread?!

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

In all fairness, his camera is taking quite a long exposure. I'm sure that's the Pleiaides (M45) just above the edge of that mountain shot, he's resolving more stars than normally the naked eye is capable of (down to about magnitude 8 - see https://www.naic.edu/~gibson/pleiades/pleiades_see.html). So very likely you're seeing more stars in the photo than he could see with his eyes, although I'd believe that that altitude is giving him about another half a point of magnitude, perhaps.

e. Side-by-side:

This is v<=8 on the right, and as you can see, far more stars are visible. I'm guessing this photo is going town to at least 9, maybe 10, which is definitely beyond human eyesight even accounting for the dark skies and altitude.
This is the best post I have read in a long time. I knew that almost no matter where you were on earth, that it was hard to get a view like this, but this post articulated why in a way that my amateur-astronomer rear end never could.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

elwood posted:

On my way back to Namche, still somewhat alive just damned tired of eating Dal Bat. Bonus pic of Ama dablam at night:
All of your photos have been awesome elwood, but the night sky pics are my favorite. Thanks for sharing your adventure.