Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

StoneOfShame posted:

I'm gonna go with 4 I think the mountain god will be reasonably satisfied with its feasts over the last two years.

Ah, you beat me to it! I also call 4! And I'll hedge it by saying one of them'll be a Sherpa, probably due to some bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

Alright well I guess if we're doubling up on numbers I'll go with 13. If we're not, then nevermind because all the plausible numbers are taken.

Have you heard of the Titanic? You know how the ship has become the most well-known standard for human hubris? Like, you just have to say "the Titanic" and everyone who you say it to understands immediately that you're referring to a historic disaster that was completely avoidable and that happened because of supreme overconfidence collided with incompetence, and the whole affair was salted with a hefty dose of lingering Victorian-values class injustice, what with the rich people getting lifeboats and the poor people getting to drown?

Well, Everest is like if, after the Titanic disaster, thousands of people just kept on making more Titanics and blithely sailing them into a bunch of iceburgs, over and over and over, never adding lifeboats, never changing the design, never learning from the experience, and meanwhile most of their families and friends and co-workers and the media just praised them for their bravery and perseverance and ignored the enormous waste of money, resources, the litter of sunk Titanics accumulating in the north Atlantic, made movies about it, and the governing body, I dunno let's pretend it's NATO, kept charging an exhorbitant fee for Titanic sailing permits because the impoverished people of Greenland need that money pretty badly due to the ongoing injustice of enormous disparities of resources between the rich and poor countries of the world.

And in this extended analogy, the people posting in this threads are the ones standing around at the docs going "hey you stupid fuckers, stop building Titanics, no you idiots don't get on that boat! It's gonna crash into an iceburg maybe, you might die, there's not enough lifeboats!" But people just won't listen, and eventually the crowds just settle down and start making bets on which Titanics are gonna crash and sink and hoping that it's mostly the rich idiots paying for passage that die and not the poor cockney-speaking ignorant bastards manning the engine rooms because the pay from one round trip voyage will feed their extended families for a year.

And you, Faux-rear end Nonsense, are I guess just wandering up to the docks and seeing the jeering crowds and shaking your head in disgust at us, because I guess you're just completely missing the context and thinking that we're the ones with the problem, what with the death pools and the schadenfraude etc.

But no man, it's not us, we're just posting on a forum. Kindly reserve your disdain for the profitable, established industry of "tour guide" companies who take rich people's money in exchange for hoisting them up a deathtrap mountain in order that they can experience a few days of oxygen-deprived delierium and tedious walking through snow at night strapped to a safety line while two or three locals whose economic situation is so dire that $20 a day is worth maybe dying for. Direct your scorn, goon sir, at the conga-line of starry-eyed Westerners who have convinced themselves that walking to the top of this mountain, for $60k to $100k, will add meaning to their lives, give them a sense of accomplishment they can achieve in no other way, earn them the accolades and admiration of their families and peers, and present them with a worthy challenge, none of which they can achieve in their otherwise apparently meaningless lives by doing much less stupid and normal things.

Marvel at the incredible lack of imagination it must take, to come to the conclusion that standing at the top of a big hunk of rock is worth a ~10% chance of death and a small fortune, when instead they could dedicate their efforts and financial resources to accomplishing something perhaps less immediately spectacular to the casual observer, but in the long run far more worthwhile to all of humanity: like, say, joining a NGO and traveling to an impoverished third world country as a volunteer to help build clean sustainable water supplies, or going to school, getting some medical training, and joining Doctors Without Borders to travel to a war zone and save the lives of kids who got their limbs blown off by land mines. You know, the sort of personal challenge that takes years of training and dedication, selflessness, and raw human grit to face, the kind of achievement truly worthy of respect and admiration, an undertaking involving some degree of personal danger, a facing of internal demons, genuine human bravery.

Redirect your sneer, please, for the people who actually deserve it, for needlessly wasting their lives and resources on a completely pointless and meaningless journey that directly endangers not only their own lives, but the lives of the people who they must hire to enable them to accomplish something that, if they actually tried to do on their own, would require decades of accumulated experience that they're simply not willing to go to the trouble of acquiring. Why, after all, should they obtain actual mountain-climbing skills, when they can just pay some very poor foreigners to do all the heavy lifting for them?

Check yourself, oh goon. It is you, and not we, who appears the fool now.

You could prolly just delete the really lovely line at the end and this'd be a pretty good post

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
We can all be winners, as long as somebody dies on the mountain.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Yes it's very funny mr. John Oliver

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Skarsnik posted:

Is there any way to follow them without snapchat?
I am old

yeah just check the obituaries

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Its nothing against this particular thread I just woke up today and decided gods work was to get probated in one of the GBS creepy weird threads of oddly specific hate. I almost went in swinging against the kick starter artisinal hipster loathing station though, so don't feel special.
If I want to take pleasure in death I'll go to live leak and get a much more interesting experience

Just go post in fyad and get insta probed like a man

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Tag it up there late august and watch nerd corpses pile up during the winter season...

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The thread is dead, long live the thread.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The GBS in me doesn't want to back down but whatever I will hold my death pool number close to my heart regardless.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
RIP elwood, the mountain accepts your offering.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Blood for the (canadian) mount gods? What does a canadian mountain god even look like?

I'm in ontario and am pretty sure i am safe from avalanches

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
He probably awoke from his cryosleep and hiked back down

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Exploding on the mountainside is metal as heck

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

When GBS died, a bunch of megathreads got moved to other places. This one was moved to the hiking forum. When GBS came back, it was filled with even more broke brained morons. Someone made a 2017 thread but put it back in GBS for some reason and it got GBS'd to death, then he posted a banme thread.

I just want to let you all know as a broke brained GBS moron it was actually the fyad/imp zone concern troll sadbrains that ruined the thread.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Anyways I'm gonna be THAT GUY and ask if Steck's death just counts as 1 or is there a bonus because he was so good?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm starting a betting pool on whether or not he faked his death

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Skarsnik posted:

Whilst the thread in gbs probably didn't deserve its fate, the death pool stuff really didn't help it's cause

It didn't really bring much to the thread aside from some white noise anyway, so maybe let's not do that this time?

I'm all for mocking the dead but pages and pages of guesses was just noise

Yeah but the noise helps keep it on the front of GBS and makes the thread more visible

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
clutch dese pearls thread *points to my sac*

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
i had 5 before but after steck i'mma say 7

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Just air drop her a wingsuit???

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Should have worn a wingsuit

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Or just wear some pants and a coat

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

If you're using ropes, couldn't you just set a rope and rappel down a ledge?

With all the equipment you're carrying that would be insanely hard, i imagine.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Suspect Bucket posted:

All the more argument for a wingsuit...

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm going to be the first person to murder someone by cutting their 3000 metre rope

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
c'mon, 7 deaths...

I hope the 7th is a canadian

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
ugh undershot my death pool

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Skarsnik posted:

Do we really have to do this poo poo again
yeah

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Distorted Kiwi posted:

How to be the the Highest Altitude Dickhead in the World? Steal other climbers Oxygen bottles, of course.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11865414

quote:

The first group of climbers summited the mountain on May 15 and it didn't take long for reports of the suspected thefts to come in.

Mystery solved???

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
QQCS crew found the thread :(

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

Please just link ze corpses und alle ist gut, ja? It ist not unreasonable. Just link ze corpses est ist not unreasonable. Vi must never see the coprses in this thread, nicht, unless they haz been linked!! This thread will not have ze corpses in it on my watch, nein! No one sees ze corpses they will never see just link ze cor

:same:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Post about more cave divers those guys rule too