Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Yo people, the Nepalese government is allegedly putting restrictions in place so only highly qualified rich people will die on the mountain. I'd bet the under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Utmost Adventure is the same outfit that the Canadian lady went with. I guess it's hard to get bad reviews if you kill your clients.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Vegans have been known to eat human placenta, so maybe poo poo also qualifies.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Britain has the Three Peaks Challenge, climbing the highest mountains of Scotland, England and Wales in 24 hours, including driving.

https://www.threepeakschallenge.uk/

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

An excerpt from a new book about mountaineering by Gabriel Filippi. It's pretty sobering, though this part's blackly comedic.

quote:

Frank had been sitting there for just over a year. He’d climbed to the top without oxygen, but he’d been so focused on that goal, he’d refused help from everyone else on the mountain, even as it became clear to those around him that he wasn’t going to make it. When he sat down to catch his breath at the base of the wall, he slipped into a coma and died. His death was a result of high-altitude cerebral edema. But it was entirely self-imposed. He’d succumbed to the one danger that scared me the most, the one you can’t see: the danger from within.

Frank’s face was masked by a twenty-centimetre layer of fresh snow. A year earlier, just before his death, he’d told me how he planned to stand on the summit with a banner above his head, asking his girlfriend to marry him. Now I’d been asked by that same girlfriend to remove his corpse from the well-worn path to the summit. She didn’t like the fact that people stopped to look at him on their way up the mountain.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Thread, I had an Everest dream. I invited my friend to climb Everest with me, then a whole bunch of other people showed up. Then I felt embarrassed because none of us had experience and we were all going to die. I tried telling everyone that but they talked over me and nobody listened. Plus I was equivocating needlessly by admitting that the fatality rate was only five percent. So everybody but two of us went outside and rolled off a cliff to their deaths.

That's all, thanks for reading. :downs:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

It's not Everest, but I've been reading about another woefully unqualified man who got himself and others killed, Robert Falcon Scott of the Antarctic. In contrast to Roald Amundsen's five-man crew, which got to the pole first, didn't lose a single man and gained weight on the return journey, Scott and his four companions all died on the way back from the pole.

Highlights of the Scott expedition:

- Not even starting to plan the logistics of reaching the South Pole until he arrived in Antarctica
- Relying on Mongolian ponies (that couldn't handle snow), motorized sledges (which broke) and man-hauling (which burns 7,000 calories per day) to transport supplies rather than dog sleds, which everyone had told him to bring
- Leaving the engineer who designed the motorized sledges at home because his naval rank was too high and would cause chain-of-command issues
- Not requiring participants to learn skiing, and ordering one team to abandon their skis for unfathomable reasons
- Leaving the one pre-laid food depot 37 miles short of its intended destination, then starving to death just 12 miles away from said depot on the return journey
- Adding a fifth person to the final pole-bound team, despite planning rations for four men
- Stopping on the return to gather 50 pounds of rocks while they were starving to death
- Planning for the best-case scenario and leaving no margin for error

There were a lot more mistakes and I feel really bad for the guys that Scott got killed. :( The book I read was Race for the South Pole and it's pretty good. Really shows the differences between the two expeditions.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

RCarr posted:

Seconding this. Definitely check it out if you haven't already.

Thirding. Really interesting stuff. Sucks that we're one of the few species that can't make Vitamin C; I wonder if the other animals make fun of us for that. :(

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Paramemetic posted:

Doubtful, wrong side of the mountain.

I believe what was said about him getting pitched off the side is to the best of anyone's knowledge correct.

No, Green Boots was on the Tibetan side.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Rats. :smith:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Wow, I never even considered that. Zhumulangma is getting creative.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I just watched Man on Wire. Now that's a great movie about a man risking his life unnecessarily.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Is this thread still on? Alan Arnette did an interesting analysis of all the deaths on Everest since 1996.

code:
Organization

STYLE		 	DEATHS 	%
National 		35 	37%
Low-end commercial 	26 	28%
Independent 		20 	21%
High-end commercial 	13 	14%

total 	94 	
code:
North or South

SIDE 	DEATHS 	% 	DYING AFTER SUMMIT 	 %
China 	54 	57% 	23 			43%
Nepal 	40 	43% 	18 			45%
total 	94 		41 			44%

quote:

Trends

As I read the death reports, I was struck by several common themes, regardless of whom they climbed with:

– the climber ignored advice from more experienced climbers and Sherpas
– they got in trouble and their teammates failed to support them choosing to continue only to find the person in worse shape later
– they felt superior to many other climbers on the mountain according to reports
– they were trying to save money

Avoiding Death

My takeaways, which are pretty basic, from this data includes:

1. Never climb alone
2. Always use supplemental oxygen
3. Climb with a team that will not abandon you

Death in the mountains is always tragic for family, friends and teammates. My condolences to all with these deaths and may their stories serve to save future lives.

More here: http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2017/11/18/avoiding-death-on-everest/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

That Times article is amazing.