Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I'm in Gorak Shep right now. The toilettes are frozen solid and covered in frozen poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Base Camp

Overcrowded and disneyland like. I saw people getting there on horses.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
View from Kala Pattar

And proof that i'm still alive, ugly and fat.

elwood fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 5, 2017

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Those are glorious photographs. Thank you for sharing them. (Is photography your hobby/profession when you aren't surrounded by frozen poo poo?)

Thanks, but no. You can't take bad pictures up here.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

So how big are those chunks of crumbly ice there, the perspective is making me think they're small but I know they're not.

Small car to large house.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

ZombieLenin posted:

This reminds me. The thread has a little to much positive content and is a little light on the me laughing at people dying on mountains since it's been moved here. :skeltal:

Then lets go back to the roots. Sorry couldn't get a yellow jacket.

As for the night sky photo. That was a 20 or 30 second exposure. Nevertheless, beeing from light poluted europe, I've never seen a sky like that before.

elwood fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 5, 2017

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Outrail posted:

But seriously, can you get some pics of the less glamorous poo poo? Rubbish piles and whatnot.

I haven't seen rubbish piles and trust me, I've been to India and know how to spot trash. All I can do is tons and tons of yak poo poo all over the trails.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
On my way back to Namche, still somewhat alive just damned tired of eating Dal Bat. Bonus pic of Ama dablam at night:

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Back in Namche. This concludes my "epic" story of a german tourist on his way to ebc and back. All the struggles I...my porter had to endure to get my poo poo up to 5200m. All my near death experiences from heart attacks when I learned the prices of coke ($5), chocolate bars. ($2.50) and pringles ($6.50) up high and last but not least all the frustration of having lovely internet. I hope some of you have enjoyed the pictures. If not, tough poo poo.

If anyone wants to follow my groundbreaking trip in the future, I'm more than happy to answer questions with my vast 14 day nepal hiking experience.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Picnic Princess posted:

See that's one thing I don't think I'll ever get. If I don't carry all my own poo poo then I just don't get to go. I couldn't imagine hiring human beings to be my pack mules. If you're not self-sufficient then you should just stay the hell home.

Thats one valid way to see it, the other is that the country depends on tourists and especially after last years earthquake people are more than happy about every single tourist that puts money into the economy.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Dr Sun Try posted:

Did you notice any difference in taste?

Did you eat Yak? what does it taste like?
Yak-milk?
Yak-cheese?

I took diamox so carbonated stuff tasted flat. Actually I just ate yak steak. Tasted like normal lean steak. Other than that we had yak butter in the morning.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Picnic Princess posted:

That's hilarious because Europeans flock to the Canadian Rockies for its wilderness because they don't have that at home anymore.

Sometimes even the Nepali side felt to crowded. We went to Base Camp via Gokyo, crossing cho la pass and did the standard route on the way back. The return part felt more or less like a crowded hiking highway with hundreds of people all over the place. Worst were the chinese groups always blocking narrow parts by just standing there and changing clothes in the middle of the trail before steep ascents. Gokyo was no barren wilderness either mind you, but it was way more relaxing and empty in comparison.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

DumbparameciuM posted:

Before Trumpchat overtakes this thread as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBqu2p5n-o8

On the one hand he climbed it already so he knows what he's getting into. On the other hand, he seems to have a deathwish and with a 5 month old child, he is a selfish rear end in a top hat.

elwood fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 22, 2016

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqBj2ZlxwGc

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I looked through my pictures and made an album if anyones still interested:

https://imgur.com/gallery/FE4QN

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

ZombieLenin posted:

This reminds me. At my former gym they had a stair master Everest thing, where if you "climbed" Everest on a stir master you got your picture on the wall. :jerkbag:

Post picture of yourself draped in a canadian flag lying on the stairmaster pls

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Jose posted:

someone should make a new thread. are there any mountains that are unclimbed because they just kill everyone as opposed to people aren't allowed to climb them?

and maybe move back to gbs

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
My immersion!

Everest is the dark mountain in the back not the one in the front (thats Nuptse).

elwood fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 24, 2017

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-38728388

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I have a 2017 thread almost ready to go up (just missing some links to pictures and youtube videos) if Rondette is ok with me posting it.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

ewe2 posted:

I hope you put Serak's cartoon in the OP, that is mandatory.

Maybe....yes

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
done: Annual Everest thread 2017: ALL GIFTS ARE ACCEPTED BY CHOMOLUNGMA

if anything is missing, wrong, whatever, drop me a message. same if someone wants to do the death pool

elwood fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 2, 2017

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Well, that escalated quickly, but hey at least now there is an ironically copied reddit climbing megathread in gbs.

elwood fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 5, 2017

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Weather was too bad to try to summit, so they went back to base camp and will try again in a few days.

http://alextxikon.com/en/blog/
http://racetracker.es/rt/everestwinter

elwood fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 5, 2017

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Nah, that was a way to get the shitposts out of the system before climbing season. As you can see it worked perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Still escalating in QSC. At least some people seem to have fun.