Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Sounds doable... except the whole "get it up there" part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Chogori is a perfect name for a blood God.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Is it bad that I saw six new posts and immediately got excited that someone maybe died?

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Who will be the first Puerto Rica hemorrhoid sufferer to haul a barrel of nuclear waste to the summit of Everest?

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

No one who plays Pokemon has the monetary assets or physique to get to base camp.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Outrail posted:

So for less than $200 I can be a sprint climber too? Cool!

Follow your dreams! You can do anything*.

* once

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

I thought the only way to die there was to suffocate beneath a mountain of trash and feces.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

now I get to see my pimply rear end 15 year old self in front of neuschwanstein castle

Your pimply rear end 15 year old self is what your parents want to remember, not noogenwang castle.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

For what it's worth, colder air is denser so more oxygen rich. Maybe that can be used to coax some brave fool into the eternal grasp of Chomalunga or whatever the hell.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Leperflesh: bringing education I didn't know I wanted to a thread about laughing at dead hikers.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

That's pretty deep and complex. Let me just retort by saying we are always angry about things we imagine. And by that, I mean, every time you get angry about something, even if it's somebody just curb stomped your mom, you are getting angry based on your idiosyncratic (or socially conditioned, pick one, either works) interpretation of events. This is an imaginative process.

So yes, I am angry about my imagination(s). So are you. Right now.

Jesus penis someone is excited about his freshman philosophy class. I imagine.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Pfft. At least it's a large freezer. Crybabies.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

And how you climb DOWN an overhang??

Seems like an important question to answer before you start climbing UP an overhang to me. You know, in case you get stuck and have to back up.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Levitate posted:

More posts about cool mountaineering please

Any recommended movies that are available on Prime or Netflix etc?

Seconded. Particularly documentaries about horrendously underprepared idiots getting themselves dead.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Well poo poo now I gotta watch Blackhawk Down again. Ironically it involves someone becoming seriously injured and several other people dying trying to rescue him because he failed to descend properly on a rope.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

I’m picturing a garbage bag full of raspberry jam. But frozen.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

You guys aren’t asking the important questions here:

How do you wank it with one finger, much less climb a goddamned mountain?

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

George H.W. oval office posted:

Katahdin has some legit scrambles. You’ll have fun. I’ve heard it’s beautiful up there. Here was my view

Why didn’t you wait for that jackass to get down off the sign before you took the picture? :downswords:

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/03/us/el-capitan-yosemite-climbers-fall.html

Jason Wells and Tim Klein fell off El Capitan this weekend.

Could someone explain why "simul-climbing" isn't actually worse than just the two climbers not roping at all? Because if there's no goddamn anchor and you're both climbing at the same time, all this does is ensure if one of falls you both fall, like some kind of suicide pact, right?

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I’m talking about, but speculating about things of which you are ignorant on the Internet is half the fun.

I assume it is inherently more risky because the odds of one climber falling are lower than one out of two climbers falling. So if they are linked together, they are each doubling their chances of falling to a grisly demise.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

I was kinda expecting him to be chugging Red Bulls and shooting fireworks out of his rear end as he careened downhill to a speed metal track, but he just kinda edges down slowly in the little clip I saw.

What a puss!

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Val Helmethead posted:

Having done Mt Elbert though, a simple walk through the woods for PA's Mt Davis is... not exciting at all.

Brace yourself for Delaware - it’s just on a street somewhere. (I thought it was the landfill in Wilmington but the internet says otherwise)

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

ante posted:

I crouch on a ledge, eating my trail mix and staring at the tourists walking by. They don't know what I've been through. I had to abandon my baby carriage yesterday, about five miles in. I'm running out of water, and as I look down at my body, covered in bruises and scrapes, I wonder what I'm even doing to myself?

Staggering towards the family hanging out near the rest area and ignoring the look of horror on their faces, I get them to call me an Uber home

I miss that guy. I was torn between telling him not to be an idiot and watching him livestream his slow death by dehydration on an access road three miles outside of town.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Yes. To “raise awareness” of “mental health issues.”

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

At what point does that acronym become so big that we just change it to “everybody but straight white males.”

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Use a howitzer to fire your feces all over Mt. Everest.

I would pay for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

For future reference, you start a post like that by saying “they found the bodies of those missing climbers...”