Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Oh hey Everest thread, are people actually gonna be crazy enough to try and climb Everest after the last two years? I'm sure some people will be! Did K2 do anything crazy to people last year? I never heard much about it. More importantly is the Australian kid who got her book deal in advance going back this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

I'm gonna go with 4 I think the mountain god will be reasonably satisfied with its feasts over the last two years.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Pyrotoad posted:

Weren't people slashing ropes over on K2? Or was that just K2 being K2?

Would like more info on this, it sounds so incredible it has to be true.

Philosopher King posted:

Any chance the new everest movie will drum up more interest in climbing the mountain?

The movie should show people that the sheer randomness of what the mountain decides to means that all the preparation you do can essentially before for naught. It should also show people that in trying to climb Everest you're essentially playing Russian Roulette as bad luck means you die. So yes, it will absolutely make more people want to climb the mountain because people are loving dumb.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Serak posted:

Yessss
Alyssa Azar - the young Australian girl from Everest threads past - is making her third (3rd) attempt at having her corpse permanently adorn great Chomolungma

http://www.alyssaazar.com.au/blog/

Because while YOU may be under the impression that Mt Everest is an immensely challenging treking/climbing challenge beset with unpredictably hazardous weather and unstable terrain into an atmosphere in while human life cannot survive, in fact,

As much as we laugh at her because she goes for the I wanna be the first/youngest whatever to climb Everest and posts stupid 'inspirational' bullshit she's probably a lot more cut out for it than a lot of people and seems to recognise the challenges and dangers.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Sherpas are the real heroes of this mountain climbing stuff. None of these mountain climbers would have even had a chance if they didn't have all these people helping them. Like not even the dumb rich people, everyone who goes there has to rely on the Sherpas. If Everest had a government I would vote for the Sherpa party.

Reinhold Messner is the real hero, he doesn't need any sherpas.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

The UK's biggest hill could be claiming victims this year proving you don't have to go big to die up a mountain. http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/16/tim-newton-rachel-slater-climbers-missing-ben-nevis-mountain

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Yeah Steck is probably the greatest climber since Messner and the whole story sounds like miscommunication mixing with very high tension and general resentment from Sherpas due to the way the tourists had been taking them for granted over the years. Steck certainly wouldn't treat Sherpas badly and just happened to piss them off when they were already ready to snap.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Jose posted:

So whats the most ridiculous climb of a mountain anyone has done? like K2 on a bad face during winter or something

The Polish line on the South face of K2 has been climbed once by Jerzy Kukuczka and Tadeusz Piotrowski the latter died whilst descending. Its technically insane, massively exposed and avalanche prone. Messner described it as a suicidal route and nobody has ever considered another attempt.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

It goes without saying but Messner is so much loving smarter than people climbing today. He full on accepts that even if everything goes perfectly they still might not be able to make it and would give up, he also wouldn't climb with people who he doesn't have complete faith in, you wouldn't catch him running an Everest climbing company, the man must despair at Everest every year.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/31/woman-sorry-ben-nevis-rescue-selfie-stick I think we're gonna see this idiot die up Everest before long. Cross country runner with only running gear and selfie stick decides on a whim to go up Ben Nevis which is in winter mode and would need ice picks and poo poo. She just about gets rescued.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Pfft K2 real heroes climb Fitz Roy or the Shark Fin on Meru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Mountain of Storms is great and has a kickass soundtrack if I remember correctly, I'm gonna watch this again.