Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

They should reduce overcrowding by restricting permits to only those who have some unique qualification such as being the first biracial woman over 5'10" tall from central Europe over 50 to climb everest. Just put up a sign that says you must be at least this unique to continue past basecamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
permits hidden in wonka bars throughout the world

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

ZombieLenin posted:

I think it is a stretch to say it is morally wrong to climb a mountain, as much as I hate 99% of the rich people who climb the mountain; however, it is certainly morally wrong to have the attitude of, “that guy needs help? gently caress that guy, I am here to summit.”

I am a Marxist so I hate to sound like I am defending rich douche nozzles, but his argument that the money to climb could have saved a life of donated to charity is rather thin. You could say that about anything—if you never went to a single movie your entire life and instead donated all that money to charity—or even your profession...

Sure I could have saved more lives if I just joined the peace corps, and lived in the third world for no money my whole life, gently caress everything and everyone else I would have to give up; and that includes his tenures Princeton rear end sitting in the ivory tower, writing articles that he can talk about at his academic cocktail parties.

I think that's kind of his thing. I remember way back in high school reading something of his that boiled down to "you should be donating everything you make to the third world until you are slightly less starving than the most starving African". It wasn't very convincing.