Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Picnic Princess posted:

If they can put signs on trails here telling people they might have to use their hands AND feet to go up a mountain the least they can do is stick a sign on Everest at 26,000' saying "Welcome to the DEATH ZONE"

"Highway to the Death Zone!"

It's probably an 80s movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

I can't help but wonder what would happen if they put a unique Pokemon on the summit. Would woefully under prepared nerds try to climb just to get it? Or would "typical" climbers just use it as another form of bragging? ("First X who captured Ever-Chu on the world's highest mountain!" And can now no longer play the game because they lost all fingers to frostbite.) Probably bad timing since its too late for typical climbing season, but I could see people getting caught up in the hysteria. I am sure by next year, no one will care.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

gannyGrabber posted:

Tag it up there late august and watch nerd corpses pile up during the winter season...

If enough nerd corpses pile up, one will reach the summit! Like in a zombie apocalypse.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Jez Plama posted:

I've been reading through this thread over the past few days, got a few tips for films to watch from it, so far i've watched Sherpa, K2 - Siren, The Summit & Meru and I'm developing a bit of a fascination with this sort of thing (watching it, not doing it). I'm gonna watch Touching the Void tonight, I did see this one years ago but I can't remember most of it and I'm itching for more, these films are so much more loving terrifying than anything I think I've ever watched... just.. jesus. Can anyone recommend any other good ones I should watch?

Also, I started reading last years thread, anyone know if the fat reddit poster that paid money to climb everest actually went? Did he die? I kinda hope so cos he was full of himself but also kinda don't cos that would be a shame for his family and stuff.

"The Summit" about the 2008 disaster on K2 was really good. It is a mix of inenactments and live footage. Helps you understand what the mountain looks like above the Death Zone.

Edit: oh was The Summit & Meru part of the same title or different? I assumed the same title and not the film I was talking about.

Yeah. Two different films, the & confused me. My mistake.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 16, 2016

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Any planned winter accents on either Everest or one of the other 8k peaks?

Think two of them still haven't been ascended in winter.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Maybe he pulled a Beck Weathers and wasnt actually dead to begin with. Just gathering his strength.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Both of those pictures just make it look like it's covered in more snow than usual. All the big rocks look like they are in about the same place. But I suppose it's easier to judge in person.

At least one team made it past the Step, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Now Nepal is disputing that four people died in a tent.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/24/529855463/everest-death-toll-rises-to-10-this-season-after-4-more-climbers-found-dead