Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

elwood posted:

http://www.abenteuer-outdoor.eu/expeditionen/2016-tibet-everest/blog/

Someone from a british/canadian expedition died from a heart attack on may 11th.

Also noteworthy from that same article:

quote:

Gestern war ich bei der 7 Summit Expedition zu Gast, was ich da zu sehen bekam, war schon Wahnsinn. Die Russen waren sehr herzlich und gastfreundlich und ließen mich ihren großzügigen Freizeitbereich mit Billardtisch, Tischtennisplatte, Liegestühlen, Fernseher usw. genießen."

"Yesterday I visited the 7 Summit Expedition, and what I saw was frankly amazing. The Russians were very friendly and hospitable and I was invited to enjoy their sizeable leisure area with pool table, ping pong table, deck chairs, TV etc."

Translation and bolding mine. Excrements in the snow all over the place, but hey at least they have a pool table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Shazaminator posted:

Does the extreme altitude have any effect on the body's ability to get an erection

Mere seconds after you open your pants and get it out, you'll have a stiffy...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
No sense blaming a team for her body failing. She was on a stupid crusade to prove something that isn't worth fighting over much less dying for and failed horribly. Now it turns out she was also a cheapskate or couldn't afford a proper team.

She was pretty much up there with all the other idiots who climb Everest for all the wrong reason.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Jumpingmanjim posted:

"Of course, what has happened to Maria is devastating, for her family, friends and loved ones. But did she die doing something she loved knowing the risks involved? Yes. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/di-westaway/i-took-everest-off-my-bucket-list/

The dumb bitch died because she literally wanted to "prove that vegans can do anything". If she loved doing that enough to risk dying for and putting friends and family through this, she got exactly what she deserved.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Annual Everest Thread 2017: Evidence that vegans die like everybody else

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I shudder everytime I pass by the body of the guy they dubbed "yellow muffs" after the colour of his handle bar muffs..

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Beastie posted:

Cnn has an interview with Dead Vegan's mom who is outraged that a backwoods expedition team could let her daughter die.

"..a life wasted"

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/25/world/everest-deaths-climb-maria-strydom/index.html

Too bad there doesn't seem to be a comments section for this. It would be hilarious. If your body fails to cope with the environment you are in, how does the team you have change any of this?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
What are the odds that paying a cheap team, dying and thus essentially paying for a superfluous flight home, getting your body flown out by helicopter, having it shipped home and finally buried is way more expensive then just paying a proper team in the first place and not dying on a mountain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
God knows which of the countless parasites and illnesses got him, I'd wager the mountain is pretty chill. Friend of mine climbed it during his world trip and lived. (Or maybe the view of the Bavarian Alps from my Munich balcony trains you sufficiently?)