Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

JFairfax posted:

I like a nice cup of tea

I wonder if its even possible to make a nice cup of tea up there. At base camp water boils at 180F (82C), and by camp 4, its down to 166F (74.5C). Nobody is trying to bake a cake up there or anything, but I bet not being able to heat water beyond "really hot kitchen faucet" temperatures must gently caress up or complicate the brewing of decent tea or coffee. And you'd only have a couple minutes to get it down the hatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

webmeister posted:

The last time I walked up, there was a stag party at the top - complete with 30 blokes drinking beer and the stag in a snazzy cocktail dress & heels combo.

That is the kind of mountain I would pay to climb. Thats how nature says "it is a good and cool idea to climb this mountain".

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

I'm not sure things will come to a head this year, but it's possible next year will see the live action version of that Far Cry game, as India and China fight yet another proxy war for dominance over the region.

Holy poo poo a war on Everest, that would be a badass idea for a movie.. Sherpas and special forces dukin it out in air so thin that helicopters cant breathe

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Baudolino posted:

Would`nt he have died if he stayed with her?The death zone is not a place you wanna hang out in for one minute more then you have to. Seems just as much a matter of survival to abandon her.
You don't get to plead survival if the reason that you abandoned your wife in the Death Zone was so that you could continue going further into it until you'd reached the very heart of the Death Zone and took a selfie, to prove that vegans can do anything.

Leperflesh posted:

It's important to remember that both that guy and his wife were severely mentally incapacitated throughout the entire climb and especially up near the summit. His decision to leave her behind is similar to the decision an extremely drunk person might make when given responsibility for taking care of another severely drunk person. Any story he came up with is plausible based on that, but similarly, his memory of events is extremely unreliable and ultimately nobody will ever know exactly what took place, because there's no such thing as a reliable witness at eight thousand meters.
And they had all of their faculties when they made the decision "lets do something extraordinarily dangerous while severely mentally incapacitated". Neither of them expected to actually die up there, and now that it happened there is much regret because they wouldn't have taken that much risk if they'd really understood what they had to lose. That's why you should count sherpas and professional climbers separate in the seasonal death count. Someone dying on Mt Everest is bad, but when it's the culmination of their months long $50,000 "Hold my beer and watch this" then its also schadenfreude.

Exotic gas diving seems to be a similarly deadly activity that would absolutely devour day trippers, but "I reached 500 meters on Hydrox" doesnt sound as impressive as "I climbed loving Mount Everest" despite being way more badass.

"My wife started having tremors at 480m so I left her for dead. If you don't think vegans can die of High-Pressure Nervous Syndrome, have I got some news for you."