Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Rondette posted:

Yeah I get the impression a lot of your time on the mountain is spent melting snow to make tea.

Poop snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

If anyone hasn't been there yet, Cher's Twitter feed is a national treasure.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Maybe they should only let disabled people and alpineers climb Everest? The not disabled people aren't proving anything at this point by being number whatever thousand to reach the top, the disabled folks get legitimate nice accomplishment to feel good about, and crowding goes way down.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

simplefish posted:

Backpacks of USB sticks

The bandwidth is awesome, the latency not so much.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

Man I thought this thread had disappeared! Awesome pictures, Elwood!

Mountaineering scares the heck out of me and I don't exactly know why. I grew up in the Rockies, but every time I see a really big mountain I panic a little bit. I'm glad other people are brave enough to go up there and die for my amusement.

Aren't most of the taller mountains in the Rockies basically hikes? I don't think there's much mountaineering going on there unless you go out of your way.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DumbparameciuM posted:

And keep in mind that China apparently want to Disney up their side of the mountain so you can drive right to the hotel they're putting at basecamp. (I hope they don't put stairs in it lol)

I mean, the hike in to EBC is what, four days to a week of useful acclimatization? And people like this guy still die because of the altitude. What happens when instead you can spend a day or two on a bus and be at the same(ish) altitude? :psyboom:

It's 17,600 ft. The roads to Pikes Peak and Mt Evans are about 14k ft and people regularly get mild altitude sickness, no idea how that extrapolates.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Did you know you can turn cameras around?

Some even come equipped with timers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

empty baggie posted:

Rations are one thing, especially if they’re dehydrated, but that brings another question up: how much consumable water does his craft hold?

Radioisotope thermoelectric generator to distill saltwater?