Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deleter
May 22, 2010
You were supposed to take a stagcoach into the Ophidae estate together. At least, that was the plan. But then the carriage began to speed up. The cobbles thundered, the coach rattled, and then

crack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKoe3cr-wrc

Now the carriage is in ruins behind you. The horses could not be saved. The carriage driver, try as you might, remains unconscious. Although it was perhaps it was his loss of judgement - or fear - that lead you six to this fate. Perhaps you might not be so inclined to take pity upon him - he does not look particularly haggard or ill-kept. Such is the fortune of those who work for the rich in this world. Via a miracle, you have all survived the crash with nothing but a few scratches.

The night hurls the woods into darkness. The road was once cobbled, but that has been obliterated by time and weather, and now the stones have rejoined the dirt and mud. Nevertheless, you can assume that this is still the road the bores through Copperleaf and into the estate grounds. The trees loom over you, and something oppressive is in the atmosphere. It makes the shadows seem longer, the darkness seem to be clawing at the feeble moonlight through the trees. The undergrowth seems to snag at you if you attempt to stray from the path.

Something is wrong here.

Franz the Undefeated, something seemed to take ahold of the carriage driver. Was it a natural fear, or something else?

Merdan Wheelright, are you comfortable in this darkness right now?

Irra, you've had plenty of time to study your new "comrades" in the stage coach. Who do you think might be most useful to impersonate?

Judith Armistead, can you afford to treat the carriage driver right now, or bring him with you?

Freeda, this seems an opportune time for you to light the way. How is Ollie-Ollie faring in this unnatural darkness?

Unlucky Hob, is Mean Bitch more... hostile than usual?

And, as always, the eternal question posed to all of you, what do you do?

Welcome to the game! Keep a running total of health, EXP and a link to your sheet in the OOC thread when you post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Exp:0, HP:20/20 Hob
Yes Mean Bitch is more hostile than usual in fact she is livid and maybe afraid? The hairs on her back are up. She moves about franticly, she barks and growls in one direction, then abruptly turns in a new direction, like she can't quite track whatever is agitating her. I grab her collar, and pet her to reassure her. "Anyone see what caused the crash" - I say as quietly as possible to whoever is closest. I re-string my bow. I grimace for a second at the light Ollie is casting on us, highlighting us for whatever may be out in the darkness. If someone caused this crash we are all sitting ducks. "I think there is something out there" - I say hoarsely, it may just be paranoia on my part, but the unexpected crash and darkness make me wary and I want everyone on their toes. I take a look around for tracks or obvious signs of movement through the brush.

Roll Hunt and Track 2d6+1(WIS)
2d6+1: 9 [2d6=3, 5]
• Gain a useful bit of information about your quarry, the GM will tell you what

Not sure if this is really applicable re-rolled for discern reality

Discern Reality 2d6+1

2d6+1: 10 [2d6=5, 4]
What here is not what it appears to be?
What should I be on the lookout for?
What is about to happen?

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 30, 2016

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Merdan Wheelwright
Health: 19/19 XP: 1

A bullet found its way in the barrel of my musket already. This looks like a drat ambush, though they should have already fallen on us already, if it was. Could be just an accident. I hate it when it's dark like this. Much harder to get a good aim, and every shadow looks like an attacker. And it's not like a light is going to do anything except poo poo up my night vision, make us a clearer target and everything outside the circle even darker. No, I like striking from out of hiding, but I prefer using cover or camouflage to do it, rather than this drat darkness. At least we've got some moonlight. I force my breathing to calm, getting on my knees to make a smaller target and systematically start scanning the forest for anything.

Discern Realities: 2d6+1 5 Hurray, we're getting right into it. I mark xp.

"I've got nothing in sight." I whisper. "How's the driver looking? Can we move him?"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Judith Armistead
Health 18/18, XP 0

"I don't know. I think so, but... let me have a look."

I'd rather not linger here, truthfully, but there's nothing on us right now, so I believe I can afford to treat the carriage driver. Bringing him with us is going to depend on his condition, of course, and is risky -- I could try to haul him myself, but it'd be hard, and the stronger members of the group are probably better to be left undistracted. If only we had a litter and an animal even-tempered enough to haul it...

I kneel down to have a look at the carriage driver more properly. Is there anything to be done at this point?

First Aid on unconscious carriage driver: 2d6+2 14
Nice! That's 3 hold, which he can spend to recover from a debility (3 hold) or recover d8 HP (1 hold). Of course, if this should be a Discern Realities/Spout Lore instead, I can take this back and do that.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Exp:0, HP:18/18 Irra

Silently glancing about, rapier at the ready, I take stock of my companions. I already have Hob memorized, strange circumstance that I'd encounter him again.
Wheelwright is just a soldier, if skilled, so he can wait until later.
I don't know how Freedas companion would react to another her, and I'm not sure I could fake the effect, so I might have to skip collecting her altogether.
Judith... I wasn't quite sure of my abilites the last time I saw her, and couldn't have taken her face without killing her. Something she did not deserve. Now there is opputunity.
She is kindhearted though, and unlikely to protest my presence later.
Franz, on the other hand, is a warrior of no small renown, said to have fought beasts and men across the world.
I could use a reputation like that, not to mention all the tricks he must have aquired over the years.
I resolve to keep one on him as we move forward, studying the way he moves.
For now, whatever might be in these woods is the greater concern.
And so, I slowly swivel my eyes around the area.

Discern Reality 2d6+1
2d6+1: 10 [2d6=4, 5]
What happened here recently?
What should I be on the lookout for?
What is about to happen?
Looks like I copy rolls, too!

Sax Battler fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 3, 2016

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Franz the Undefeated
XP 0; HP 23/23

I kneel beside the unconscious driver, and speak softly so as to not spook that terrifying hound. "Ms. Armistead, I would be careful with him. He may have been affected by some foul magic."
I begin checking his face and head for any abnormalities I recognize.There is nothing of note behind his ears, and the current status of his pupils may be a result of more mundane terror. However, when I open his mouth and plug his nose, I see what I have been checking for: a wisp of smoke emerging from his throat.
"I have seen this before. Stand back everyone, this man has been possessed!" I say, drawing my dagger.

Spout Lore about what has possessed this man: 2d6+0 10
Tell me something useful and interesting, please!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Freeda, the Lantern
HP: 16/16 XP: 1/7

Freeda was still vigorously dusting off her coat after that messy crash when she noticed Ollie's erratic movements within his lantern. She'd not seen him this agitated before, not even when she first found him trapped in that old hermit's home. The darkness encroaching upon them did not seem alien towards Freeda upon first glance but her Little Light would not be reacting so strongly towards any mundane night.

The girl thought back to one of the more basic books she had read belonging to Claire Voyaborn. While talking to Ollie--a living moving object--seemed natural, Freeda's inner skeptic still balked slightly at the thought of both requesting and receiving the aid of the natural light of the world. But with circumstances as they were she attempted to bright back the light rapidly slipping away from them as she muttered a few incantations...

Bend Light: 2d6+2 5

...but whatever heard her must have noticed the cynical tone in what she was doing and was not pleased.

Hard miss, GM gets to use one of the Bend Light options against us.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Those looking around for danger find different things to concern themselves about.

Unlucky Hob, you've been through many forests and dark roads in your time. None of them have ever been quite like this. The shadows are thick and cloying, and although you appear to be alone, you have the intense feeling of being watched. Of course, it's unlikely that this road is left unmolested - bandits are very fond of overgrown roads like this one - it makes it easier for them to ambush their quarry. No sooner has this fact sprung, unbidden, to your mind, than you see the glint of metal from a nearby shadow at the side of the road...

Irra, your keen eyes see much the same, but your experiences offer a different picture. You have sometimes gone into rooms to liberate people of their belongings, and one of the simplest defensive charms you have had to work your way around is a charm that abruptly plunges a room into darkness. This seems like a much larger, more insidious version of such an enchantment. There is usually a boundary to the spell, making it akin to the more mundane smoke bombs of thiefdom. Perhaps the one responsible for this spell's upkeep is nearby - although the barrel of a musket, caught briefly by the light of the moon, diverts your mind from such reminiscence...

Merdan, you can't seem to get a handle on what's happening. The shadows keep moving around you. You can't tell if there is an attack coming, or you're just being paranoid. You realise that you're standing a little too out into the open.. Hob and Irra, one of you may aid your ally and prevent him from coming to harm at the cost of having the imitative in what is clearly an incoming ambush. What do you do?

Judith sees that the driver is merely concussed, and although he has a minor head wound he's not in any immediate danger - or at least, none that can't be mitigated with bandages, salves and time. His eyes, however, are fluttering open and closed erratically. Franz may or may not be aware thast eyes are windows to the soul, and, in much the same way that one can discern a state of the house by its windows, one can check the state of the mind via the eyes. This man's eyes, or what glimpses of them you can get, are unnaturally bloodshot and tinted with an unnatural hue- a sign of his mind being affected by some sort of possession. Where have you seen this before? Judith, Franz has drawn his dagger - what do you do?

Freeda, the light wants no part of your demands. The area around you immediately plunges into even deeper darkness, the light hissing at you in wordless berating statements. It does not want to be here. It wants no part of this savage land. What do you say to supplicate it?

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Hob warns Merdan of the ambush.

Upon seeing the glint of steel, Hob grabbed Mean Bitch's collar and ran into cover behind an oak that would hide their frames. Noticing that Merdan was still crouched in firing position in the middle of the road. Hob attempted to warn Merdan of the coming danger. "Merdan"- Hob hissed. Once Merdan's attention was attracted, Hob placed the tips of forefinger and middle finger in front of his eyes and then pointed in the direction of the potential ambush. "Get to cover" Hob said as quietly as possible while. Then Hob waved at a nearby tree facing away from the ambush to indicate where Merdan could take cover.

The light suddenly dimmed, Hob cursed. What the gently caress was going on? The sudden shift in light was going to making seeing and hitting anything more difficult what the hell was Freeda doing? For that matter what the hell were the others doing? Hob glanced around. Based on her movements Irra seemed to have picked up on the ambush, not what Hob would have expected of her. Judith appeared to be doing her job, however foolish that was at the moment. Hob had been on the other end of ambushes like this. You wound one and their mates come to help. You put an arrow into them when they get into the open and now there are two screaming heaps on the ground. That goes on until the the entire group is dying around the bodies of the friends they tried to help or the crew finally wises up and makes a blind charge into your arrows. - Wait why the hell did Franz have his knife out what the hell was... Then he remembered what the madman had shouted "I have seen this before. Stand back everyone, this man has been possessed!". Hob's jaw dropped.

Not sure I should be rolling here. If I am not I guess this is my next "action". Sorry about the edits I am not sure if we are supposed to be making rolls with every response or not. Also in PBP everyone is a bottleneck for progression so I like to get things out fast and gradually correct grammar and spelling mistakes and add fluff as I think of things.

If a bandit that Hob can see peeks out of cover to take a shot then Hob lets loose, and Mean Bitch instinctively rushes into battle to tear into her prey,

Volley 2d6+2
2d6+2: 11 [2d6=3, 6]
• You have to take several shots, reducing your ammo by one. (If you want to add a -2 to -3 modifer for the shot)
Damage:
1d8: 3 [1d8=3]
and finds his mark. Unfortunately only a glancing blow. From Command: Mean Bitch closes the gap with the enemy no damage added but she is now in position or Mean Bitch has closed the gap with the Bandits and begins mauling one of them +3 damage

Mean Bitch Tags:Advantages: Fast, Ferocious, Burly Disadvantages: Savage, Frightening

else

Command
If bandits attack and can't be seen then Hob commands Mean Bitch to attack
2d6: 7 [2d6=3, 4]
Damage:
1d8+3: 10 [1d8=7]
Mean Bitch attacks viciously

I haven't really found good documentation on how command works is it just a passive or ??? Okay I see how it works now
[/s]

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 1, 2016

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Franz the Undefeated
XP 0; HP 23/23

Franz remembers a cult he dispatched a couple years ago, and how they used magic to control the weak-willed into fighting for them. It didn't do the cultists much good, as he simply cut through the crowds and beheaded the one controlling them, but the townsfolk that survived were not happy about his methods. Did they prefer being mindless slaves? Pah.
Realizing that there must be a spellcaster somewhere nearby, and that they probably weren't alone, Franz gets into a defensive stance and scans the trees, looking for anything lying in wait.

Standing in defense of Judith and the driver
Defend: 2d6+1 11
Defense Hold 3/3

i sure hope im playing this game correctly

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Judith Armistead
Health 18/18, XP 0

Given the conditions described in the invitation, Judith can't really be surprised that there's dark magic involved in this situation. Magic was never her specialty, since she lacked any gift for it herself, but it hadn't been a complete stranger to her education. Had the topic of possession come up? She tries her best to remember...

Spout Lore about treating possession: 2d6+2 8

... of course, with the way the others were responding, this might be the least of their problems. Judith keeps a wary eye on the possessed carriageman, still hopeful he could survive this ordeal, but she also preparsd to take cover.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Merdan Wheelwright

You learn to keep your ears open to others on a battlefield. Hearing Hob's warning, I move quickly, keeping my head low as I made for the tree Hob had marked for me. Looks like I might owe him a beer soon. The gun was put past the tree, trying to find the thing Hob had seen, but the darkness was getting only thicker.

To make him more worried, Franz was talking about possession. I keep my eyes on that direction, but not just on the driver. There's still the thing of that butchered village. Was that just a case of insanity and paranoia? Seeing him approach the man with a knife made him wonder if he was gonna have to aim the gun his way, but then he seemed to aim his attention to the outside, and then so did he. In the meantime, he tried to spot whatever it is that Hob had seen and draw a bead on it.

Discern Realities: 2d6+1 9 What should I be on the lookout for?

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

Why are they fussing over the driver? Haven't they noticed- a glint of light, and I'm off.
When fighting someone with a gun, don't give them time to aim.
"Freeda, the shadows! It's magic!"
Rapier first, I lunge at the gunner.

Discern Reality 2d6+1
2d6+2: 8 [2d6=2, 4]
Hacking the gunman.
He's probably not suprised if they're ambushing, so damage is 1d6.
1d6: 6

Sax Battler fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 3, 2016

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Freeda, the Lantern
HP: 16/16 XP: 2/7

Freeda snaps back at the alleged noblewoman, "Of course it's magic! Something's scaring away the moonlight." but not speaking aloud the last part "...and I'm just making things worse."

The yells of possession and quick shuffling of her compatriots only compound the feeling of being overwhelmed rapidly overtaking the young woman. Again she thought back to the books; leaning on any knowledge scrapped up as to what kind of magic could choke off light itself but she just stood there frozen, grasping tightly to her quarterstaff and coming up with nothing. She was still a novice and whatever was going on was far beyond her grasp of the dark arts.

Spout Lore: 2d6+1 4

was hoping to get some info on whatever magic or spellcaster could do this kind of thing but nope

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Hob's shot fires true, and his companion is quick to follow up. The figure - now revealed as a swarthy man clad in a hood and thick leavers, carrying a short sword - stumbles back, kicking at Mean Bitch with a heavy boot. It's not enough - the dog brings her quarry down, yelling.

"'ere!" There's a shout from the shadows. "'E shot first! They're not 'sposed to do that!"

"Then scrag 'im!" responds a deeper voice from another shadow.

With a yell, the bandits rush into view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMXy3mYzkws

You face: Freeda, your train of thought is interrupted as you head the sounds of gunfire and yelling. The light around you suddenly wavers, surprised by the sudden attack. Dare you appeal to it now and risk immenent harm from the combat beyond?

Irra's strike rings true, and you deal the bandit a mighty blow! (Rifleman 2 1/6 HP) He staggers, hissing and clutching at the stab wound. "Someone help me!" he barks, and you see a swordsman moving to intercept you, teeth bared and swords raised. Have you fought anyone like this before? What's the trick to it?

Franz, you've got company! A bandit swordsman charges you, swords flashing out. You can attempt to avoid the blow, or take the blow for your colleague, or otherwise stand in defense. What do you do? The Bandit rolled 5 damage and has 1 piercing.

Hob, you don't have time to celebrate your true aim. A swordsman charges at you, swords flashing out. His blows are not calculated but have force behind them, and he risks forcing you out of the fight or dealing a harsh wound. Can you fight back or escape his attention?

Judith, you recall that possession requires the target to have a insecure state of mind - not hard to achieve in this misbegotten place. How you can apply this knowledge as of now, in the midst of combat, is up to you to decide. Franz stands in defense of you and is challenged for it - will you help him or your patient?

Merdan, you notice one of the ambushing gunmen has lined a shot on the patch of darkness where Freeda stands. He fires, but his aim and weapon are poor and the shot goes wide. The man spits a curse and kneels to reload. On the other side of the fight, you see Hob jumping backwards away from a bandit's wild sword swings. Who do you choose to help?

pre:
Battefield status:
Bandit Swordsmen
1: 2/6 HP being hosed up by Mean Bitch
2: 6/6 HP Engaging Franz
3: 6/6 HP Engaging Irra
4: 6/6 HP Engaging Hob

Bandit Riflemen
1: 6/6 HP Shooting at Freeda
2: 1/6 HP Engaging Irra

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Franz the Undefeated
XP 0; HP 23/23

A figure--darting out of the dark, swords in hand. A familiar situation for Franz. Almost comforting. The bandit leads with a wicked slice from the left, but finds his blade interrupted by his quarry's own dagger. This is, of course, why the bandit brought two swords. He swings down with his right-hand blade, but before it can connect a burly fist finds its way into his nose; crushing it badly and causing him to stumble backward in pain.
Franz snorts derisively as blood trickles between his fingers.

Spending all of my Defend Hold to halve damage three times, reducing it to 0 (5>2>1>0).
Hack & Slash on Bandit Swordsman 2: 2d6+2 10
Damage vs Bandit Swordsman 2 (messy, forceful): 1d10 3

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

The expectation and anxiety melt away from Hob, replaced by adrenaline and the rush of battle. "Come on ya fuckin' minges!" - Hob shouts. Hob throws his bow at the onrushing attacker and grabs his dagger from his belt. The Bandit slashes with his sword

Hack'n Slash 2d6+1 Skinning Knife(close, 1 weight)
2d6+1: 10 [2d6=6, 3] STR of 15 has paid off
• When you attack an enemy in melee, roll+Str. On a 10+ you deal your damage to the enemy and avoid their attack.

Hack'n Slash damage 1d8
1d8: 2 damage[1d8=2]

and narrowly misses Hob, who ducks under the blow and then stabs the Bandit in his side.

Meanwhile Mean Bitch shoves past hands feebly clawing and pushing at her and proceeds to tear the throat out of the bandit on the ground.

Command:

3 ferocity = 3 damage to Bandit engaged with Mean Bitch ??

Mean Bitch Stats: Ferocity +3, Cunning +1, Instinct +2, 1 Armor, Tags:Advantages: Fast, Ferocious, Burly Disadvantages: Savage, Frightening

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 3, 2016

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Merdan Wheelwright

Ready The inner officer shouts in my head.

No slight meant against Freeda, but Hob and I got a history, and he did just get me back into a secure position, so it isn't a hard choice. I take a breath, and force myself to calm, taking a few moments to settle the aim of my gun on the bandit attacking, letting the rest of the fight fade in the background.

Lock On: When you draw a bead on a target, deal +2d4 damage against that target and -4 damage to anyone else. This effect lasts until the target has been defeated. You can choose a different target at any time, but you take -1 forward against both your old and new targets.

Aim

No time for something fancy, I just put the aim at the center of the guy's chest. At this distance, that jerkin of his might as well be his momma's wedding dress. He's rushing forward in a straight line at Hob, so I just move alongside his path and then...

Fire

I pull the trigger.

Volley: 2d6+2 10
Damage VS Bandit (Messy, forceful, 2 piercing, reload, far): 1d8+2d4 12

The guy goes down, judging from the gurgling sound, he took it in the lungs. Nasty way to die. I reach for the paper to refill the musket with the speed of habit. Gunpowder, bullet, stamping, that's when the heart beat starts racing again, that's when you start to look around to see if someone's out to get you now. Because until this thing is reloaded, I'm the unarmed guy who just killed one of their buddies.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

The best way to fight an armed man is a blade between the ribs when they're sleeping.
Failing that, to the back while a friend distracts them.
Failing that, from a distance.
For the times you have to fight face to face, rule number three is: don't be outnumbered.
Slipping away from the meleé, I slide my knife out of its sheathe.

Defy danger 2d6+2 to get some distance
2d6+2: 8 [2d6=5, 1]
Complication happens.
Can I still attempt the volley or should I wait for the complication?
Either way, throwing knife at wounded gunman.
2d6+2: 13 [2d6=6, 5]
1d6: 5 damage.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Freeda, the Lantern
HP: 16/16 XP: 3/7

There's few things in these godforsaken lands that can clear a mind like the sound of gunshots within shooting distance. Suddenly Freeda felt her mind much more concerned with the physical and deadly world around her and not so much on the fickle light.

With the other quickly engaging those with swords, Freeda's attention is drawn to the one of the two gunmen looking at her direction, rifle raised. Without hesitation, she opens the lantern still attached to her staff and lets the one light she knows she can trust travel up her arm, causing the whole limb to glow. She swiftly waves the arm towards the rifleman, firing a bolt of light energy that soars over the enemy's shoulder and impacts into a nearby treetrunk, making a hell of a noise and not much else.

Volley: 2d6+1 4

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Judith Armistead
Health 18/18, XP 1

An insecure mind. That was... unsurprising, and it also wasn't something that could be readily dealt with in the heat of combat. The man's best hope, Judith decided, was to get through this situation and back to the hamlet alive, where he could rest and perhaps his mood might be improved. (A beer or two would probably help; alcohol and head injuries didn't mix, usually, but you had to think on your feet in this profession.)

None of that mattered at the moment, though -- what mattered was getting him through the fight. Judith's convictions prevented her from striking at the bandit directly, but it was hardly against her vows to prevent Franz from defending himself... or to get in the way of Franz's attacker, especially in case he noticed the patient. Judith moved forward to interpose herself between the bandit and the carriageman, trying to set aside her fears for the moment and perhaps serve as a distraction that Franz might use.

... Of course, she wasn't a large woman, nor a trained combatant. This wasn't going to work out like she'd thought it might, in a moment of bravery...

Defend Franz and the carriageman (w/ FDNH bonus +1): 2d6+1 6
XP marked above. TOOT TOOT FAILURE TRAIN COMIN' THROUGH

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Merdan and Hob have worked together to take down a foe, but Merdan's decision has costed the group in other ways. The bandit handgunner aiming at Freeda has been given time to reload, and his retaliation shot at Freeda strikes true.

Bandit Damage: 1d8 8

Freeda, you have been struck a grievous blow. Nobody came to your aid. Your powers did not help you. Your foe is taking time to reload, but can you summon the courage to fight? To act again. you may 1 Sanity damage to avoid rolling for your next move.

Meanwhile, Mean Bitch finishes off the bandit in the woods and returns to her master's side, teeth red. What do Hob and Merdan do now?

Judith and Franz manage to hold up their attacker for a while - the large warrior scores a blow across his attacker's sternum, penetrating the leather armor. With a snarl, the bandit pulls a serrated knife from his belt, dropping a sword to do so, and lunges at Franz, drawing a jagged line across his chest. It does not cause him imminent harm, but there is pain, and a profusion of blood. Be careful, bold one, that your exertions do not lead to your demise. Franz is bleeding, and failed moves may cause him minor harm if it is not patched up. What do you two do? Judith, you failed to defend your charge, but perhaps the two of you may work better together?

Irra manages to dispatch the rogue gunman, but her attention was diverted. Now the swordsman's swings have forced her back, trapping her against the bark of a particularly large tree. You are cornered, and will risk grievous harm if you attempt to escape, but having your back to the wall (metaphorically speaking) will not be an advantage. What do you do?

pre:
Battefield status:
Bandit Swordsmen
1: 0/6 HP RIP
2: 4/6 HP Engaging Franz and Judith
4: 0/6 HP RIP

Bandit Riflemen
1: 6/6 HP Shooting at Freeda
2: 0/6 HP RIP

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

OOC: hey, just noticed I had my max HP wrong in the previous posts, it's correct now

Freeda, the Lantern
HP: 5/13 XP: 3/7

The rifle shot strikes true against Freeda's side, causing her to collapse in pain with Ollie separating from herself out of fear and reforming back as a harmless mote. The wound is mostly superficial but the sudden radiating pain is the most agonizing feeling the young woman has ever felt. She howls as she uses her staff as a support to get back onto her feet. Just as her Little Light left her upon being shot, so too did her own internal light begin to wane. Whatever darkness exists, it has been outwitting her ever since the caravan entered these godforsaken woods and the strain is already beginning to get to her.

With the pain blinding her from rational thought Freeda quickly charged towards her assailant, screaming and swinging impotently and erratically until finally landing a blow to his shoulder on a backswing.

Deal Damage: 1d6 1

quote:

I have the strength to defeat my foes.
My allies can be trusted.
I am of worth to other people.
I can discern reality from fantasy.
Dark powers hold no sway over me.
gently caress offff orokos

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Merdan Wheelwright
Health: 19/19 XP: 2/7

It's tempting to rush your reloading. Everything is going wrong, people are dying. Is it that much of a difference to just stomp that bullet in a few times less? That's how you mess up your shot. You do not rush a musket. You cannot convince it to make do with a little less because everything is terrible. The musket does not care about your poo poo. it will have its ten pushes, all the way inside or it will leave you high and dry.

But it doesn't demand your full attention. it does not care about that either. And my hand can make the vaguely lewd gesture without too much thought dedicated to it. And so, I call out. "Hey shooter! That was a pretty good shot. Not gonna lie. But you know how you miss things outside of your target? Like half your buddies are dead, and none of us are. I bet if you try to make a run for it, your two friends would keep us busy long enough you could be far away by the time we're done. But if you're still here when I finish reloading. Well... you saw what happened with your buddy there."

I want him to take that offer. He's just a bandit. He can't be a better person than me. He can't be a braver person than me.

Parley VS Bandit: 2d6-1 6 Well, at least I'm getting xp I guess.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

People called Hob "Unlucky", but it wasn't because he was a wandering pauper, nor was it the fact he was perpetually in trouble with the law. People called Hob unlucky because his very presence seemed to sap the luck away from his comrades. Time and again he had joined crews and they had died in horrific ways and Hob had always managed to escape by the skin of his teeth or through sheer dumb luck. Funny thing is I foreshadowed this in my character sheet mmm that is good luck you got there Brother Entropy + Methane

Hob had readied himself for the bandit's next blow, so when the bandit dropped like a puppet with its strings cut, Hob was momentarily confused. He gaped, then realization struck him as he saw the musket hole in the bandit's thorax. Hob wordless gave Merdan a salute with his bloody knife while the look of concentration on his face turned into a sheepish grin. That had been a drat good shot.

Hob quickly retrieved his long bow. He then heard the loud "crack" of a musket being fired. He spun on his heels in the direction of the of the musket shot. Consciously he didn't register anything, the shooter, the smoking musket, the look of absolute mortification on Freeda's face as blood blossomed from the wound in her abdomen where the musket ball had struck, nor her desperate pained charge at her attacker. His muscles moved without conscious thought, hand to arrow, arrow to bow, pull back fire. Even as the arrow flew his body knew where it would land and he was already directing Mean Bitch at Irra's attacker. Franz would tear his opponent in two, but the soft looking Noble women? He wasn't as sure. Mean Bitch had already covered half the distance to Irra's attacker, as the arrow arrowed plunged into the eye of the bandit that had engaged Freeda, and slammed through to the grey matter beyond. The only thing that entered Hob's head was this thought - " That dress Freeda is wearing looks awfully expensive, it is a shame that blood is going to ruin it”.

A thing of terrifyingly speed, powerful muscles, and fur soaked in human-blood, Mean Bitch had covered the distance to Irra's attacker. Iron jaws snapped on the attacker's calf and she worried the bandit's leg in her mouth like a chew toy.

"Judith go help Freeda she has been shot, I'll give ya cover." – Hobs shouted as he notched another arrow.

Volley+2Long Bow(near, far, 1 weight) @ Ranged Bandit attacking Freeda
2d6+1: 2d6+2: 12 [2d6=5, 5] I drink your luck. I drink it up.
• When you attack an enemy in melee, roll+Str. On a 10+ you deal your damage to the enemy and avoid their attack.

Volley damage 1d8
1d8: 1d8: 7 [1d8=7]

Mean Bitch Stats: Ferocity +3, Cunning +1, Instinct +2, 1 Armor, Tags:Advantages: Fast, Ferocious, Burly Disadvantages: Savage, Frightening

Command: @ Bandit targeting Irra
3 ferocity = 3 damage to Irra's Bandit ??

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 8, 2016

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Franz the Undefeated
XP 0; HP 23/23
Bleeding

Franz grunts as the knife slices across his chest. Urgh, if I have to protect Armistead this whole time... drat, I wish I hadn't left my sword in the carriage.

Roughly shoving Judith out of the way, he growls "Get to cover, yer in the way!" and lunges at the bandit, dagger flashing. His blade finds its mark, but he experiences why you don't bring a knife to a sword fight.

Hack & Slash w/ Dagger (Hand, Messy, Forceful): 2d6+2 8
I deal my damage, and the bandit makes an attack against me.
Damage: 1d10 4
damnit orokos im supposed to deal the big damage

Astro Ambulance fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 7, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Judith Armistead
Health 18/18, XP 1

The simultaneous commands from Hob and Franz -- help Freeda and get to cover -- matched with Judith's own assessment of the situation. Franz was hurt, certainly, but Freeda was in far more danger, and she was in far less shape to potentially keep herself alive. In Judith's rather irregular career as a battlefield medic, she'd come to fear the wounded acting irrationally more than she'd come to fear the wounds themselves. Not only did it tend to worsen the wounds themselves, it meant there would generally be new ones in short order.

"All right," replied Judith to Franz. "Keep the carriageman safe -- I'll be back." As Judith ran towards Freeda and the bandit rifleman, she reached towards what she'd need for quick battlefield work: a vial of dark, viscous blood-clotting agent, kept in suspension with a quick-acting painkiller. She shook the vial to mix the two syrupy liquids, and with her other hand, she tried to pull Freeda away from the rifleman long enough to apply the mixture to her wound. "... This'll work quickly. Keep your head about you."

First, to get Freeda away from the rifleman safely, here's a Defy Danger with Dex:

Defy Danger with +Dex/FDNS to get Freeda away: 2d6+2 11

Then for the actual treatment:

First Aid on Freeda: 2d6+2 11

About drat time, Orokos! A 10+ allows Freeda to hold 3, and per Medic, that hold can be spent to heal d8 HP (1 hold), cure a disease/poison (2 hold), or cure a debility (3 hold). I imagine it's all going to HP, but it's Freeda's to spend.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

I stop backing up when my back foot hits the tree.
Face to face fighting, rule number eight, don't be backed into a corner. Failed.
On the other hand, I'm about to invoke rule number four, outnumber the other guy.
With Mean Bitch coming in hot, and I hope it's him she's coming for, I take the oppurtunity to push the bandit towards her.
And by push, I mean stab.
When he deflects my blade on his sleeve, I brace myself for pain.
"poo poo."

Stabbing
2d6+2: [2d6=3, 4] 9
Damage: 1d6 1
Getting stabbed, dealing no damage.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Freeda, the Lantern
HP: 13/13 XP: 3/7

Freeda is still frantically waving her glorified stick around when Judith gets to her. The medic's quickness gives Ollie the opportunity to momentarily distract the still-standing rifleman away from two retreating enemies with a quick flash of light to the eyes.

Feeling an ally pull her back caused the adrenaline coursing throughout her body to start slowing and suddenly her body felt so much heavier. The weakness did nothing to stop the pain and made resisting Judith's pull impossible but Freeda still had enough to attempt arguing her slightly-addled point as the doctor began rubbing the foul-smelling vial onto her gunshot wound, "No, you don't understand......the darkness is still around us, we can't run from it we have to fight back we have to fight back..."

healed up, no other action taken for now

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Luckily, Irra does not feel cold steel go through her and thunk into the tree behind.

Damage: 1d8 2

The Bandit has noticed his sudden predicament - namely, that most of his comrades are dead. The blow leaves a minor gash in her arm but nothing serious. Meanwhile, the bandit Franz is engaging stumbles back from the power of the blow, but manages to deal a mighty swing of his own back!

Damage: 1d8 7

The two back up, surrounded by the rest of you, and are the ones to listen to Merdan's demands, seeing as Hob has expertly dispatched their remaining gunner. They both breathe heavily from their wounds and exertion, clouding their faces with mist.

"'s got a point. Thing 'ave gone a bit poo poo." This is one of the bandits, and his voice is oddly dull.

"gently caress that. Not goin' back the way we came." The other one has a thin voice that puts you in mind of a rat. "You seen what happened to Jeb. 'd rather die here."

"Boss won' like it if we die."

"Boss don' like anything nowdays! Shouldn' 'ave listened to them rich bastards, there's no money here..."

What do you do with these two? Neither seem to bothered by the deaths of their companions.

Freeda, do you feel safe now? Is the light communicating to you again? If yes, what does it tell you?

Judith, you've done good work so far. Is this what you expected? Do you think you can continue to work with this pressure?

pre:
Battefield status:
Bandit Swordsmen
2: 1/6 HP Engaging Franz and Judith

Bandit Riflemen
1: -1/6 HP RIP

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Exp:1, HP:20/20 Hob

Hob breaths out. They seem like talking now, but it'll be easier to get information out of them if the ratty fellow trying to talk his comrade out of surrendering dropped dead he thought. He lined up his shot and loosed, maybe it was dim light, maybe the fatigue from battle, but the shot went sailing just above the bandit's head.

Volley+2Long Bow(near, far, 1 weight) @ Ratty looking bandits trying to talk his friend out of surrendering
2d6+2: 6 [2d6=1, 3][/b]

Trying to recover from his mistake Hob shouted
"That was a warning shot. Just drop your weapons and your valuables and we'll let you live."

and just for fun

Parley
2d6-1: 5 [2d6=3, 3][/b]

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

I give Hob a blank stare; who does he think he's fooling? I step in front of him.
"What my friend here is trying to say, is that if you would disarm and cooperate, we would be prepared to let you both go with enough supplies to get you out of here."
Letting the blood from my cut run down my arm onto my sword, smile sweetly at them.
"Quite generous, wouldn't you say?"

Talker talkin'
2d6+1: [2d6=3, 6] 10

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Judith Armistead
Health 18/18, XP 1

This wasn't the first time Judith had tried to practice her art during active combat, but it still wasn't routine for her, and it was still challenging. There was always this dark little temptation at the back of her head: you idiot, they're trying to kill you, it's hardly unethical to draw your scalpel, or trip them and open them up to the swordsmen... Then again, an oath that was easy to uphold wasn't worth anything, was it? Besides, the work was vital. She wasn't sure if she'd saved Freeda's life -- she'd hardly have been hired if she couldn't care for herself -- but she'd done what she could. It felt good, honestly, even if the rest of it was poo poo.

The bandits' rough country accents took her back to her childhood, and she was about to bark at them that everyone knew bandit-work was poo poo, be grateful we might let you out of this alive, go wash your face and go home and do something useful -- but Irra stepped in, and Judith was sure the negotiations would be better off for it. The offer of supplies, she thought, was almost generous. "Freeda," she said, focusing on her current patient, "you're not wrong. There's a lot we need to fight in this world. But half of fighting the darkness is staying alive, all right? Don't give it your blood if you don't have to. Boys like this aren't worth it. Just rest for now; I'm going to check on the others." Bedside manner had never been her strong suit; perhaps that was something she'd need to work on, but hopefully for now, it would suit.

After a last nod to Freeda, Judith headed to check on the carriageman and his guardian. "Are you hurt, Franz? And is he stable? We'll have to travel soon, and we'll need to take him with us."

No move for now, but I can roll Discern Realities or Spout Lore if needed to find a solution to the carriageman problem.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Franz the Undefeated
XP 0; HP 16/23
Bleeding

The bandit's blade buries itself deep in the meat of Franz's shoulder, before being wrenched painfully away by the force of his next blow. Looks like I found someone worth killing.

He hears the others talking, but dismisses it as unimportant. He knows why he's here. Roaring out, Franz charges forward, darts to the side to dodge his opponent's panicked swing, grabs the fallen sword, and finally whirls around at devastating speed, severing the bandit's head from his body in a single blow.

Covered in blood, Franz turns to Judith. "Sorry, what was that? I wasn't paying attention."

Gained bandit sword!
Appetite: Pure Destruction
Hack & Slash w/ Bandit Sword (close, messy, forceful): 1d6+1d8+2 11
D6 is higher, GM introduces a complication based on my heedless pursuits.
Damage: 1d10 8

im helping :v:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Freeda, the Lantern
HP: 13/13 XP: 3/7

With the violence reaching a momentary reprieve, Freeda paused as well as she continued to slump against her staff. Judith's wise words had calmed the girl away from letting the pain in her side continue to make her lash out. The darkness still encroached around her but the ambivalence of the others only further spooked her. Could they really be so blind as to only notice the physical assailants? Did they not feel the light blocked out from them?

With paranoid eyes darting back and forth among her surrounding, she slowly but surely inched her way towards the fallen carriageman and her other companions around him. "S-something must be infecting him. I might have a book relating to this?" She rummaged through her bookbag, finding the first thing that seemed even remotely useful and held it out to Judith. "I-if you think it'd be a help."

these rolls are leaving both me and Freeda all gunshy; Judith (or anyone who wants to quickly grab the book out of Freeda's hands!) can get a +1 on their next Spout Lore

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

[quote="Methane" post="456205086"]

Sighing deeply, I step to the side, between the bandit and Fritz instead.
"Better decide quickly, it seems."
My smile is looking a lot more resigned.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The moment Franz cuts down one of the bandits, the oher hurls down his weapons and cowers. "Alrigh', alrigh', I give! Just get that bastard away from me?" Well, who's going to step between this man and Franz?

Judith, the coach driver is coming to. He blinks and staggers to his feet, and looks around.

"Cor blimey," he mutters. He's safe and alive. But for how long?

Franz, as you give in to the urge to destroy, you hear whispers at the edge of your mind. They are indistinct, but their multitude turns them into a single buzzing presence. Keep killing. Don't stop. Burn it all down. Are they familiar to you?

Hob and Merdan, you need to find a way out of the forest, and fast. Both of you have tracking and scouting experience - you can do it. But you may be separated from the group for a while. Do you want to take that risk?

Freeda, the darkness seems to lift a little when you hand Judith the book. But it still lies thick around you, in the demeanour of those near you and in the shadows. What future threat do you believe you see?

Irra, now might be a good time to re-evaluate your companions, seeing as some of them just murdered a surrendering foe in cold blood. Whom do you fear most here?

Everyone, what do you do now?

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Who knows what Franz would do. Probably kill the last bandit. Hob didn't really care the bandits had just been trying their hardest to kill him. As long as Franz didn't turn on him he didn't care. Losing whatever information the bandit had would be a shame, but one expected as much when working with a bloodthirsty lunatic. Freeda on the other hand looks like she was in bad shape. She was a good thief from what Hob remembered, but a hardened killer or a powerful wizard? No.

Freeda come over 'ere I want you ta help me with Mean Bitch”

If Freeda approaches

Hob leaned in and whispered to Freeda “Got another thing to ask. Are you really up for this? You almost died today. If Judith hadn't been around you would probably be a cold corpse on the ground. You ain't a wizard, your just a sneak who stole a bit of magic, an we just saw how bad at it ya are today. Could've gotten yourself killed. Could've gotten the rest of us killed too. What would have happened if you 'ad blinded us? If you aren't ready for this you better just leave now, it'll just get harder, and likely as not you won't get another chance to. You got a good body, you could find a rich merchant or nob, get married and live a nice comfortable life, you don't need to be out 'ere with scum like us.” -Hob scratches his head.

“Look I don't want to scare you off, but I figured you ought to think hard about how things are going, I like you Freeda. When we pulled off that last job together, you were a real professional. I would've said I'd work with that lass any time. My dog seems to respect ya too, amd that is rare as teats on a fish.” Hob whistled for his dog who trotted over. She sat down on her haunches by Hob's feet and began licking the blood of her lips and nose, looking every bit the man eater she was. Hob took out some jerky from a pocket and handed a chunk to Freeda, “Look you are the only one in this group she can actually stand. This forest 'as got her riled. If I die or get knocked I know Mean Bitch is going to turn on the group and they'll 'ave to kill her. So I want her to like you. ” Hob passes Freeda the piece of jerky.

Hob turns back to the rest of the group.

Franz, Merdan, you're big lads get to digging graves for the dead. If you can't find somethin' to dig with grab some stones and we'll make cairns for em'. I'll get to tracking where these bastard came from once I take care of the goods.” Maybe it was a sentimental failing, but Hob knew he was as likely as not to end up like the men he had just helped kill and the self-delusion that he would at least get a decent burial so as not to be torn apart by carrion feeders allowed him to sleep at night.

Hob takes a swig of the spirits in his waterskin then runs over to the bodies of the bandits. He quickly inspects the bodies and finds one of the better looking flintlocks and its accompanying bag of powder, ram rod, and shot, and tosses them to Judith.

“When a fight starts get firing next time, doesn't matter if you hit anything so long as you make em keep their heads down”.

Then Hob is instantly on the rest of the cooling corpses of the bandits. Decades of scavenging off the dead have refined his technique and his hands move without thought. Packs and carry sacks are emptied into a pile to be inspected later. He throws the weapons into a pile knives, swords, guns, powder, and ammunition. Money pouches, rings, and necklaces are stripped off the dead and thrown into a separate pile. When the obvious loot is taken, he begins patting down the bodies looking for cash or precious trinkets hidden with secret pockets or sewn into the clothes themselves. He strips off the boots and shoes of the dead men and cuts their soles look for extra coin, then onto nose rings, ear rings, and belly rings he rips them out unceremoniously and throws them into the pile. He prys open the mouths of the dead men and uses his knife to cut or knock out teeth with fillings , more gold and silver for the pile. When he is finished he wipes of the off his gore strewn hands on the clothes of a dead, he cuts a strip of clean clothe off and wipes off the blood splatter from his face and arms.

Need to redo the writing for this. It is painfully bad re-reading it.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 16, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Judith Armistead
Health 18/18, XP 1

MPB, I'm going to assume the raw actions of your post are still in place. I'll edit mine if you change your mind about your content.

Judith took the book that Freeda pressed on her, flipping through it almost on reflex. Information on possession? This could come in very handy... but at the moment, there were more pressing, and somewhat troubling, matters. Judith wasn't a stranger to seeing people die -- it was usually messy, often violent, and frequently of no value to anyone -- but even by those standards, Franz's execution of the bandit seemed meaningless. There was something profoundly disquieting about that man, even if she knew full well that his talents would be of use in the messy business they would soon undertake -- no, had already undertaken. The corrupt power that operated on the carriageman's mind proved they were close enough to whatever lurked in the Ophidae estate that they were already in the thick of it.

For now, all Judith could do was focus on the carriageman and his return to consciousness. "Sir. Are you all right? Can you stand and walk? We've had trouble, and we'll need to move through the forest on foot. Will you need help?" She tucked the book away under her arm and began to look over the carriageman, trying to read the man's current state of health and strength. The concussion wasn't ideal, but he might be able to make the journey nonetheless, especially with capable guide. Hob was some sort of outdoorsman, wasn't he? And Merdan was sharp-eyed enough.

Absentmindedly, she took the object Hob offered, and it took a moment to register that it was a dead's man rifle. And she was to fire this as a distraction, he said? Judith had little firearms expertise, and even less love for the things, but perhaps it would be within her oath to simply distract that way. It wasn't much different from rather forceful screaming at that point, was it?

"... and we can furnish you a walking stick, if you need," said Judith, with a nod to the rifle. Even by the standards of gallows humor, it was a rather poor joke, but sometimes one had to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

We Are The Road Crew.

"Right, then. We'll just step over here." I take the bandit by the shoulder, pushing him away from the group, only stopping to pry my knife from the dead mans neck.
We stop within the range of the light, and after looking him over for any more weapons I motin for him to sit down on a rock.
"Franz can't gut you as easily, but either me or him," I motion to Merdan, still holding his gun, "can kill you if you try to run. Now, let's begin."

I proceed to question him lightly but firmly, on topics including;
- His name
- The location of their camp
- How many of them there are
- Who the "Rich Bastards" they were talking about were
- Who is the one making this darkness
- If they've hit any big marks since they got here
- When they'll be missed
- What he will do if we let him go

I also take the time to remember some of lady Irra's old memories, ones that could have been useful several minutes ago. Better late than never.

Using Soul's reflection to get the Elite Training Move from the Noble Playbook.

• Locked thread